Anim Cleans Up His Act

Anim07734

With the passing of deadlines and goals, Anim's path had opened up to a plain filled with possibilities.  But it hadn't taken long for him to find a new hurdle, literally.  All of his goals were now blocked by clutter.  Even most of the clutter was blocked by clutter.  If he wanted to make progress, he was going to have remove these obstacles of his own making.

With all of my focus on costuming and conventions this summer, I haven't been keeping up with my cleaning and organizing.  Then I got back from DragonCon and threw everything in my "junk room" to avoid dealing with it.  Now I can't even get into the room to pick a new project.  >_<  I've also piled so much stuff in my garage that I can't build the shelves I want to organize everything onto.

Plus I'm at least 3months behind on cleaning, and skipped a lot of the "this only needs irregular cleaning" chores.

So my house is currently cluttered and filthy, and I can't even start a project that lets me ignore that fact. :playful:  This challenge I'll be fixing at least one of those things.

Organize One Room per Week:  yes, it's going to take (at least) a week per room to get through all my clutter.  Thankfully, I only have 4 that I'm calling cluttered:

-Garage

-Junk room

-Front room

-Kitchen

Clean the House:  the rest of the house needs a good cleaning, as well:

-Dining room

-Den

-Guest room

-Bedroom

-Bathrooms

Workout Plan:  since this is a fitness community, I should probably have a fitness goal.  Keeping with the theme of "things getting in my way," I really want to try bulking again, but I always have trouble keeping my workouts regular enough to keep the extra calories from just becoming more waistline.  I'm giving myself one month to figure out a strength training plan that I can stick with through the end of the year (minimum).

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

OOOH clutter is a great evil and I hope you vanquish it! 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I had a lot of fun, especially at Dragon Con.  Managed not to kill myself walking downtown Atlanta half-blind in 6-inch platforms.  Showed off as Nightcrawler two different nights.  Wash was actually a comfortable costume this year.  Brought way too much alcohol (we went through less than half) - side note:  if you're looking for a low-cal mixer, try Le Croix or Sparkling Ice.  They're flavored carbonated water in a bunch of fruit flavors that go great with flavored vodkas and rums.  Didn't make any huge purchases, though I did get some more art and add to my nerdy mug/stein collection.  I still need to finish going through pictures though; that should probably get added to the list of clutter...

Week 0 was definitely a thing.  Spent most of the week fighting a lack of motivation to do anything, but eventually started getting workouts in again.  Didn't do any real cleaning until the weekend, but I did assemble the Gundam models I got at Comic Con, so that's something.  Alphonse is now assembled and standing around in my bedroom; that's actually the easiest way to store him, the individual pieces are too big and don't stack.  Pulled my car out of the garage and started breaking down boxes yesterday; now I get to start turning them into a boat for office shenanigans.  I haven't decided if I want to build a legitimate cardboard boat or just something that looks like a legitimate boat to trick a coworker into using for the Titanic award...

I also restarted my Old Republic account, so way too much time went into that this weekend.  My scoundrel is half-way through chapter 1, and I have new sith waiting on a buddy to catch up so we can do the rest of the game as group.  I'm on the Ebon Hawk server, if anyone else is still playing.  Look for Festum on the Republic side or Cataegis among the Sith, both Vitae legacy, if that's something you can search for.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

oh, I also have need-to-declutter / clean -rooms-goals. maybe watching you succeed will help me out. ;)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

18 hours ago, karinajean said:

oh, I also have need-to-declutter / clean -rooms-goals. maybe watching you succeed will help me out. ;)

Well now I guess I have to succeed. :playful:

37345267085_8072e738dd_c.jpg

Just for reference, there's the current view of my "junk room."  And that's after I climbed over the pile in front of the closet to put away all the stuff hanging in the doorway...

The garage was almost as bad, but is looking better since I broke down all the empty boxes.  The kitchen and front room aren't actually that cluttered anymore, they just need a good scrubbing as soon as I can get to my new steam cleaner (the pile of hoses and cords in the bottom right).

Starting on my current workout idea this week.  In an effort to keep things super simple, I'm planning to run Mon/Wed/Fri and strength train Tues/Thurs/Sat-Sun.  Running will be 1.5mi trail runs (working back into sprints afterwards) or 1hr of office sports.  Strength training is going to be the challenge, as I tend to get bored after a couple weeks of the same thing.  Last night I pulled back out my weighted duffel bag (~60lb) and practiced lifting it over my head for 5-10reps during SW:TOR cut scenes.  Since my buddy and I are essentially doing a speed run of our combined class story, that got me 5 or 6 sets in about an hour and a half.  I think I want to up the weight to bring those reps down and focus more on explosive power, but we'll see how things go.

• Like 2

Your junk room looks just like mine! Lol.

I always look at mine, get frustrated with not knowing where to start and then never start it. How are you going to tackle your junk room? 

Also what does office sports entail? 

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Since most of what's taking up floor space currently is half-finished costumes, I'm going to start by organizing those better and loading them into stackable bins (those black and yellow ones in the bottom center and their fellows in my front room).  That should open up enough space to go through the rest of it and decide what I'm keeping and what's going in the garbage or to Goodwill.  I'm also expecting a lot of that stuff, especially on the far shelf, to end up in other rooms as soon as they have shelves to put it on.  I've got a lot of toys and knicknacks I've collected over the years that I don't want to get rid of, but don't have anywhere to put yet.  So shelves are near the top of my project list for next challenge, right under "stuff necessary for the efficient construction of shelves."  All that assumes I finish my cleaning this challenge though. :playful:

Realistically, my junk room won't be usable as anything else for a while, but I should be able to walk inside and find what I'm looking for again.  Eventually, I want to turn it into an office and craft room, but again, that requires a lot more shelves than I currently have.

My office is on an Air Force base and I work with a bunch of military guys, who get paid to work out regularly.  So most Friday mornings, they meet up and play some kind of sport for an hour or so (then we all wander into the office around 9 and start figuring out lunch plans).  We've done everything from flag football to ultimate frisbee to soccer, depending on who's there that morning.

But currently we tend to play a game locally called "Gator Ball."  It's kind of a cross between soccer and touch football, played with a standard soccer ball.  Essentially, if the ball's on the ground you're playing soccer, but if you can catch the ball in the air off another player (EG you can't kick it up to yourself), you can then run with it, pass it, etc.  If you get tagged while carrying the ball, you have to drop it, but don't lose possession or stop play.  There's also no out of bounds, so if the ball goes wild or someone kicks too hard taking a shot, you have to keep playing while recovering it.  We normally use small to medium size soccer goals (there's no true keeper, just the last defender in front of the goal) and the size of the field depends on how many people we have.

It's normally a lot of fun and one of the best workouts I can get.  Because while I don't care who wins, I'm too competitive to just let someone beat me to the ball when I could sprint faster.  Plus you have to do pushups everytime the other team scores.

• Like 2

It sounds like you have a good plan of action for that room. It's somewhere to start. :) 

Your office sports sounds like a lot of fun! 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Oof! Cleaning! One of the worst productive activities out there! Have you thought about some organizing system or shelves?

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I have an organization system in there.  It's just buried under the clutter thanks to a lack of shelves. :playful:

Each project has it's own box/area that everything related to it is piled in, with the most universal stuff closest to the door.  The problem is that I keep adding projects, but the floor space doesn't seem to be increasing.  So now I have to reorganize, decide if there are any projects I won't be returning to (or just need to start over), clean everything, and build a new system that relies less on having everything spread out so I can see it.

As the junk room, it's near the bottom of my priority list for improvements, but I do plan to build shelves and computer/work desks into most of the walls and redo the closet so it's more useful for what I need.  Once I finish my cleaning and organizing, I plan to finish my garage workshop (still need real workbenches and some better storage), then I'll be able to build the shelves for the other two bedrooms and clear out some stuff from the junk room to make space for the work I want to do in there.

• Like 2

I'm feeling strongly compelled to take a photo of our junk room (we call it the "blue room" to be polite) and share it with you! when I get home tonight.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I spent the second half of last week with a complete lack of energy.  It started out as an after affect of doing a "double red cell" blood donation on Thursday.  I felt bad about using it as an excuse to skip my strength session, but I definitely wasn't 100%.  Then I went to play sports Friday and almost blacked out a couple times from sprinting too hard.  Took it easy the rest of the day, but still hadn't recovered enough to feel like a strength session Saturday.  Then headed to dinner at some friends' house warming party.  It was a lot of fun, but I was definitely done several hours before the party was.  But since I had invited half of the people (they're new to the area) and we were playing my games, I couldn't just leave.  So I got to spend all of Sunday recovering from too much human contact and the issues that causes me.  My one accomplishment for the day was remembering to post the mini-challenge update. :playful:

Challenge Goal progress:

Deep cleaning: Zero rooms - I made a little progress, but not as much as I should have, and it's all spread out between different rooms.

General cleaning: Zero rooms - again, a progress throughout, but nothing finished.  I got most of the bedding in my guestroom washed to remove the cat hair, but there's still a couple blankets that probably need dry cleaning.  Plus dusting and sweeping.

Workout plan:  Well I missed 2 out of 3 strength sessions, so no progress there either.  Got all of my runs in, but that only counts for so much at this point.

Tonight I need to go for another run after work (might as well keep that going), then get groceries on the way home.  I never feel like cooking after grocery shopping, so I'll plan to finish my leftovers tonight and cook tomorrow.  Then I need to get all of my dry cleaning together and drop it off while running errands.  Biggest thing I need to pick up is a tub of wood glue so I can finish this cardboard boat and get it out of my garage.

Then if I can dust and sweep most of the house tomorrow, I'll just need to do a couple random cleaning tasks to cross a couple rooms off the general list and break out the steam cleaner to finish most of the kitchen and front room.

• Like 2

I hope your energy levels are back to normal this week. Almost blacking out is not fun.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

I never feel like cooking after grocery shopping

Same. Grocery shopping just takes a lot out of me. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

5 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Then if I can dust and sweep most of the house tomorrow, I'll just need to do a couple random cleaning tasks to cross a couple rooms off the general list and break out the steam cleaner to finish most of the kitchen and front room.

Isn't it funny how we can go from "ugh that will take so much work" to "if I can just...." in trying to make something seem closer to done? I'm at the "if I can just make 2 pairs of pants now that the mock-up works" stage of rationalization, conveniently forgetting how long the mock-up took. 

Sorry to hear you got ambushed by the weekend. Hope this week is starting off better!

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

If my "run" last night is any indication, I'm still not back to 100%.  Only made it 3/4mi before I had to start walking, but still made myself finish the full 1.5mi.  Then handstand practice turned out to be far more taxing than it should have been, so I called it for the day.

I did manage to run some of my errands after dinner and tear myself away from SWTOR long enough to sweep the guest room.  And as a bonus, my washer is awesome enough to clean quilts safely, so I don't have to take them to the dry cleaner.  Everything should be dry by the time I get home tonight, so I can finish making beds and put furniture back (moved everything so I could sweep the entire room), then I get to cross a room off my list. :playful:

I need to cook dinner and do laundry tonight, since I've got a Blood Bowl game tomorrow, but I'm going to try to also get my bedroom cleaned.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Blood Bowl is "the original fantasy football."  It's a miniatures game where teams of elves, orcs, humans, dwarves, etc play a pseudo-football type game where the objective is to get the ball to the endzone by any means necessary.  Killing the opposing team is a legitimate (and encouraged) strategy.  My wood elves (pictures here) will be finishing the season against the only team in the game faster than they are (skaven/ratmen).  We've survived most of the season (with a mixed record) by running circles around the dwarf teams and out running everyone else.  So this requires a completely different strategy than I'm used to and I have to rely even more on my higher agility to keep the ball in hand and away from their grubby little claws.  Should be fun.

• Like 1

In an effort to save my workout from bad traffic, I "ran" my first 5k in close to two years on Wednesday.  It was not fun; I think I walked half of it, which would explain the extra 15min it took to finish.  Probably need to consider doing that more often.

Lost at Blood Bowl, but still made it to the play offs somehow.  Next game is against dwarves, so I should do better, as long as I can stay out of reach. :playful:

I did finish cleaning the guest room and started on my bedroom, but motivation is still lacking.  This weekend should give me a kick in the ass though, since I'm hosting a Halloween party on Friday the 13th.  Need to get all of my yardwork for the month done so I can start decorating, then finish the majority of inside before then.  Depending on when I get out of work today, I'm going to rent a log splitter so I can finally move all my firewood to a better spot and start prepping for a fire.

I skipped my workout last night, so I need to either move firewood or get back on my schedule tonight.  Then plan for another workout Sunday so I'm back on track for next week.

Another weekend ambush, but I'm liking this one better.

I didn't mention it at the time, but one of the other random housewarming attendees is a fellow cosplayer and between games we talked about conventions.  At some point she borrowed my phone (because her battery was low or data wasn't working or something) and pulled up her FB profile to share pictures.  So of course, I send her a friend request because Halloween's coming up and you can never have too many costuming friends.  Then we start messaging about costume ideas and upcoming conventions and I can't tell if she's flirting or just excited.  ("Crikey! Would you look at that: it's the rarely seen first steps in the cosplay nerd mating ritual!  They're discussing Joker/Harley Quinn crossovers, it must be going well!" /Steve Erwin)  Friday the conversation finally got to the point where we could admit interest or deny everything and (thankfully) we both decided to go with "I'm interested but have issues."  Then I pulled a 20-seconds of courage to literally say "Fuck it, are you free for dinner?"  A trip to the local Spirit of Halloween and staying up late talking followed, then we spent most of Saturday together at another cookout.  And she's still talking to me, so that's a plus.  She works nights, so we're planning to meet again this Friday and go from there.

In other news, I got most of my bedroom cleaned, but didn't work up the motivation to put everything back together over the weekend.  So once I finish that, I'll have two rooms complete.  I also got most of the hall bath scrubbed, minus the shower which I want to steam clean.  Still none of the major cleaning projects done, but the possibility of having a girl over in the foreseeable future is a great motivator.  I also need to catch up on yardwork and cleaning so I can decorate for my Halloween party, which is planned for Friday the 13th.

I did end up missing another two strength sessions, so I'm calling this workout plan a failure and moving on to something else.  Going to think about it some more today and throw something together for after work.  I'm leaning towards strength training M/W/F-Sat and Running T/R/F, which has worked in the past, but I'll see how things go.

• Like 3

Congrats on your progress on cleaning and for making a new friend! 

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

A bit late to the game but...following! :D 

14 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Then I pulled a 20-seconds of courage to literally say "Fuck it, are you free for dinner?"

Love those 20-seconds of courage, congrats on making a new friend. Who knows what it will grow to.. ;) 

Workouts are going much better this week.  Current plan is strength training M/W/Sat, running T/R, sports F.  For the strength training, I'm trying to make things as simple as possible while still changing things up enough to keep my interest.  So:

Monday- Deadlift (5 sets, ending with 1RM; 2min rest); Superset chest-to-bar pullups/chest-to-ground pushups (alternating EMOM)

Wednesday- Half-ROM handstand pushups (5 sets; 2min rest); Superset shrimp squats/pullups (alternating EMOM)

Saturday- Tuck lever rows (5 sets; 2min rest); Superset ring dips/pistol squats (alternating EMOM)

The idea is to have hard/medium/light exercises for each muscle group and hit each once a week (I don't do separate core work, as most of my other exercises hit it to some degree).  I'll focus on one heavy exercise each workout, then do the medium/light in the other two groups; rotating through so I (hopefully) don't overwork anything.

I'm planning to keep up with my free handstand practice as part of my warmup each day.

On the cleaning front, my bedroom is done and I managed to clean my microwave and most of my counters after doing dishes this week.  I still need to scrub the stove top, oven, and fridge, plus mop or steam clean the floor, but still: progress!

Also, the project currently taking up my garage is almost finished:

36804161494_93d4c5eca5_z.jpg

Glue should be dry when I get home tonight, then I have to tape the seams and paint it for the race tomorrow.  Then I get to actually clean my garage while riding out the hurricane this weekend. :playful:

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 11:55 AM, Anim07734 said:

Still none of the major cleaning projects done, but the possibility of having a girl over in the foreseeable future is a great motivator.

The first time I visited my gentleman (with obligatory mutual friend chaperoning), his house was spotless. I have never seen this level of cleanliness since. Somewhat annoying, but also heavily amusing. Grats on the 20 seconds of courage! So.... how'd Friday go?

Glad to hear the cleaning is progressing. Little bit at a time will see it done! The workout seems like a good balance of everything, keep us posted on how it goes. Hope the hurricane passed you by.

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Ha!  I couldn't get my house spotless if I tried.  I'm really just trying to catch up on all the stuff that fell behind during my costuming binge.  I did manage to finish the kitchen yesterday.  There's still plenty of stuff I could do (scrub out the oven again, get the rest of the grease out of the hood, etc), but nothing I'm going to do right now.  Most of that stuff is going to be replaced when I get around to my kitchen remodel anyway, so I just need to keep it functional for a few more years.

The hall bathroom is also clean now, and the guest bath rarely gets used, so it should be fairly quick to finish up.  Which leaves the front room, den, and dining room needing dusting and vacuuming (at a minimum) before my party on Friday.  And organizing the junk room enough to fit the extra junk from those rooms until this weekend when I can clean it properly. :playful:

Friday night ended up being dinner with the GF and her best friend.  Apparently I didn't do terrible, since we got a thumbs up at the end of the night.  And she came over to watch movies and hang out Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (holiday).  She's still talking to me, so we're planning to hang out again at my Halloween party this weekend.  And we've both started ordering parts for those Joker/Harley Quinn costumes.  We're going with a Star Wars crossover for Joker Fett and Sith Harley.

As for the hurricane, it was just a large rain storm.  I wouldn't have even noticed if my phone hadn't kept alerting me. :playful:  Only downside is that everything was soaked Sunday, so I didn't get to split firewood before my party.

• Like 3

The party was a success, but killed my motivation for the rest of the weekend.  Friends did all the inside decorations, so they have the pictures there, but here's what I did for the outside:

37704758792_c00134c14a_z.jpg

And a close up on the rose bush:

37066299983_43d2634e13_z.jpg

I'm disappointed I still haven't managed to get a bloom out of it, but that worked well for adding the Halloween roses.

As for challenge wrap up:

Organize One Room per Week: got two of the four rooms cleaned during the last week of the challenge.  I made progress on the Junk Room and the Garage, but they aren't anywhere near clean yet.  If I can finish during week 0, I'll call it a success though.

Clean the House:  finished cleaning everything else a few hours before the party.  It all needs to be cleaned again, of course, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.  I'm calling this one a success, and will try to keep up with my normal cleaning in the future.

Workout Plan:  so far I like the workout plan I came up with.  I've missed 1-2 workouts each week, but that's still kind of accounted for in the plan.  Which is important, since I've never exercised 6 days a week for an extended period.   I'm going to call this one a qualified success, pending the results of next challenge.

My "bonus challenge" also seems to be going well.  We're "facebook official" now, for whatever that's worth with a guy who rarely posts anything on FB.  I'm currently trying to find a good time for haunted house hopping that fits our schedules.  And she's trying to switch her sleep schedule so we aren't limited to only seeing each other on the weekends.  Right now we're limited to texting during the week since she's in bed when I get off work, then starts work as I'm going to bed only to leave her job shortly after mine starts.  We do spend most of the morning texting though.  To the point where I now have to charge my phone twice a day.

If it wasn't for the random panic attacks as my brain tries to figure out how relationships work and how I'm still in one, I'd say we were doing great.  She's been very understanding so far, though I'm not sure she realizes I don't know what triggers them or how long they'll last.  Frankly, this is the first relationship I've had with someone who wanted to spend time with me as much as I want to spend time with her, and that's terrifying.  Also, I'm incredibly bad at both emotions and dealing with them, so I keep getting overwhelmed.

And since I just had a minor freak out trying to figure out where to go from there, I think I'm done for now.  See you all next challenge!

• Like 2