Sloth Hammers in the Morning

On the off chance you're in my neighborhood on November 19th...

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

55 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

That looks so amazing! 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On October 12, 2017 at 8:48 AM, LadyShello said:

A gross oversight on my part.  One that I will correct on the next meetup. 

I look forward to it.

On October 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM, ixaera said:

In 1996, my Biology class dissected a mouse and a cow's eye, which aren't frogs, but still

On October 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM, LadyShello said:

I disected a frog in junior high, or maybe it was high school. Then disected a fetal pig in high school biology.  That was the 90's so it was still a thing then.  

On October 12, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Maigahane said:

In the early 2000's my biology class split into groups of four and each group got to pick our animal to dissect. We had a shark, a fetal pig, and a starfish, among others.

This was the same school that in the late 90's was too poor to afford animals to dissect so the teacher offered extra credit to bring in roadkill.

I can't even imagine. 

On October 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

In my 1995-96 Bio 1 Class we did a frog, a mollusk, and a rat.

On October 12, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Xena said:

Yikes! I like the idea of that in a way (poor little critter is already dead, why not learn something). I initially thought there might be some safety/disease concerns, but now that I think about it maybe not. 

I'd assume a whole host of bacteria in the abdominal cavity. You'd also have to work fast before it decomposed too much. 

On October 12, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Maigahane said:

Oh, definitely safety and disease concerns. Plus roadkills internals are damaged, intestines tend to burst.

But it ended even worse than that. A kid shot a dog and brought it in. Itty bitty school made national news and a different stupid redneck student was immortalized as saying on TV "You can shoot your dog if y'ant too"

I grew up up in the suburbs, but I spent a lot of time up north. I was surprisingly old before I realized that that wasn't how everyone put their dogs down when it was time. 

On October 13, 2017 at 12:33 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I remember we dissected a cow heart in 5th grade (one for the whole class) and then some other individual stuff in high school (frog, shark, earthworm, and some others that i can't recall)

On October 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

So @Sloth the Enduring, if I read all these comments, you might suggest that I add dissecting some animal with the boys, won't you? Maybe then also inspect some of that under the microscope? At least they saw a shark dissected about two years ago at our Royal Show's shark talk, but we missed the bat dissection last week.

I'm not sure I would suggest that, but if comparative biology is something that you and the boys are interested in, then why not.

I had conferences tonight.  I'm wound up, so I'm finally responding instead of going to bed.  The subject of dissection came up a lot tonight.  The consensus was that it's a shame we don't do it anymore.  It's one of the things that really turns kids on to science.  A few years ago I actually looked into doing a dissection class as my enrichment class.  It seemed worthwhile, but I would have had to self fund it and it was bit too expensive. 

On October 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, DJtrippyT said:

THIS IS THE EVENT I'VE BEEN TRAINING FOR FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE!

On October 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM, The Most Loathed said:

I'm pretty sure you talked a while back about the debt that St. Paul Schools was tracking for all of the families that couldn't pay for lunches. It looks like it just got taken care of

That's awesome.  Good memory, that would have been about a year ago.  My gaming friend's kids go to Castille's school.  They knew him and thought highly of him.  How many people know their kid's lunch guy?

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Conferences tonight after school.  41 families in 4 hours.  It's by far the hardest day of the year.  Except tomorrow when I do it again.  Anyway I'm too wound up to sleep.  So I'll finally update and wrap up.

Last week I was beat up from the Hammer Race and too stupid to do anything, like foam rolling, to speed recovery.  On Tuesday or Wednesday I got back into the dojo and started playing with the Flexible Steel, the S&S warm-up, and the last pieces of PT that I do.  I got into down into a routine that I'm going to do instead of Yoga.  I didn't do any real training though. 

I went to a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday.  It always strikes me how familiar Jewish services feel to me having grown up Old-School Catholic.  Honestly it feels more like a religious service than most non-Catholic Christian services. I ate stuff that I shouldn't have because I didn't want to be the guy who sat eating nothing or the guy with the Tupperware of chicken and green beans. 

On Sunday we saw a live version of The Hobbit.  It was really cool, but it's not a story you can fit into an 80 minute play.  The kids were confused, but loved the goblins and Smaug. 

Wrap Up:

The challenge structure doesn't motivate me at all.  I'm still gonna do what I'm gonna do.  This time around the doctor visit changed my internal focus into following her dietary suggestions.  The rest of things kind of went into maintainance.  

SlothBelly-wise I discovered that wheat is much harder on my system than I thought. :(  I also weened myself off of coffee.  It might be purely psychological, but the stimulant helped keep my ADD in check... However, according to my log I went at least a week without any sort of belly issues.  Prior, two good days in a row were a miracle.

Morning: I hammered regularly, but mostly after work so I could smack the tire without waking anyone up.

Afternoon: I balanced my accounts a total of once.  I really gotta start paying attention to things like this better.

Evening: Running never happened.  There's a couple things going on here.  My sense of self includes the feeling that I can pop out a 5K at anytime without training for it.  I don't know if that's still true, but the Hammer Race didn't give my training any urgency. At some point in the last year or so I figured out how to sleep.  Paradoxically that makes me feel much more tired than when I was chronically sleep deprived.  8:30 comes along and I just want to go to bed.  

Weekends: Very little biking happened.  It rained a lot during a lot of the last several weekends.  Family fun time uses up a lot of time too. If I was honest with myself, I could use my time a lot more wisely and find a way to fit riding in around family obligations. I wanted to do a full cyclocross season, but it's half over.  I'll be lucky if I get one or two races in for fun.  I might just set up the trainer and start watching movies again.  

I don't know if I'll retreat to my battle log or do a new challenge. Things that I'll likely be working on are training - I think I'll start playing with my sandbags for a while - and eating - I need to figure out how to eat low-fat* Paleoish and be satisfied.

*My special-snowflake belly can't handle too much fat at once. 

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

ETA: it actually was a good day despite it being Hell.  Conferences went well.  I'm not allowed to focus on them nearly enough, but I have a bunch of great students who really want to do well.  Having four or five good conference for every tough one was a strong reminder of that.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Conferences tonight after school.  41 families in 4 hours.  It's by far the hardest day of the year.  Except tomorrow when I do it again.  Anyway I'm too wound up to sleep.  So I'll finally update and wrap up.

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA: it actually was a good day despite it being Hell.  Conferences went well.  I'm not allowed to focus on them nearly enough, but I have a bunch of great students who really want to do well.  Having four or five good conference for every tough one was a strong reminder of that.  

Glad there is a ray of light for every black cloud. Thinking of you.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."