Manarelle goes to boot camp

Manarelle

Well, I guess this is a respawn. I've generally been sliding a bit for the past few months, and then the last month hit me with end-of-school, convention prep, travel, and a nasty sickness that made working out extremely difficult, plus some bad nutrition advice that I didn't identify and stop in time. Went to the doctor's last week, and when they closed the door, the full-length mirror on the backside showed me sitting slumped in the chair looking way too out of shape and unhappy. So, time to respawn.

The biggest problem I see is all the preconceptions I have from the past few years: things that I thought worked but apparently didn't, and how to separate them from the things that I thought worked and did. I suppose I should also figure out what my goals really are, and what, realistically, I can expect to accomplish. I want to lose some fat, but I don't want to "be skinny," I want to be strong. So should I focus on putting on muscle? Lose fat first, then add muscle? As I've been easing back into working out (2 days cardio, 2 days weights, 1 day of PT (resistance instead of weights) plus a self-defense class), I've found my calorie intake going up. I know it probably should, since I'm doing more, but it's very frustrating that hunger goes up before boy fat goes down. You've got all this extra stored energy, body, wtf?

Anyway, enough complaining. I started tracking food last month, through all the sickness and travel, so I might as well keep it up as I get back into fitness. I'm hoping to be well enough to go to boot camp next week, and I believe they've got personal trainers there to give advice on weightlifting. Goal by the end of the month: Drop 1% body fat. Let's go. 

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Your doctor's office has full-length mirrors? That's just evil! But yay for respawning!

Not to nitpick, but how are you planning to drop 1% body fat? (Really, I just need to steal someone's secrets cause no matter how much my weight goes up and down my BF% stubbornly sticks in the 26% range. :angry:)

And of course I'm following!

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Heya Zeroh! I agree that the full-length mirrors in the doctor's office is mean. If you're there because you don't feel well, you probably don't want to stare at yourself while waiting for the doc to show up. Oh well. It did make me realize the value of a full-length mirror - the little bathroom mirror which is all we have at home didn't show things quite as badly, and since one of my mid-term goals is to get back into cosplay, it probably wouldn't hurt to have one.

No worries on nitpicking. I'm hoping that the combination of throwing out bad nutrition advice (eat more fats, really?), getting back to working out (and boosting it with the boot camp and pushing to run instead of walk), and really tracking my foods better will help. I used to hover around 26%, finally broke into 27% last month. So even if I "just" resume the 26%, that'll be good. Ultimate goal would be around 20-ish, I think. I don't want to lose all my curves, but I'd like to see a bit more muscle. So... pushing weights a little harder to encourage muscle, and walking to running to keep loose. It might work, it might not, but what I was doing before clearly wasn't, so time to try something new. 

Week 0:

Keeping tracking going, and think I got a good grip on how much I need to eat to stay balanced between fat and hungry. Slowly starting to work on swapping carbs for protein. Managed 2 days cardio, 2 days weights, and 1 day self-defense with an extra half hour of parkour practice after. Didn't do PT, but now I know where to fit it in. Feeling pretty good about this.

• Like 2

Awesome goal - totally following!!!

And YAY for COSPLAY!!! I could never do it because I could never fit in any costume, but I would love to do so, so I am following and will be cheering you on!

I agree that the advice to "eat fat to lose weight" is not working super well for me either. But what was the most successful in terms of nutrition was to cut carbs. THEN I saw a real difference. I continued eating fruits and veggies (and at that time I ate a lot, since they are ZERO points on WW), but cut out entirely rice, pasta and bread. I kept in some carby snacks I love like 1 cookie every other day so as not to cry, but that was it. Feels miserable at first, then one gets used to it. (However it reverses super easily if you have a birthday party with cake... so be strong!!)

With strength training and cutting carbs, I have definitely seen my body fat % go down. So I know you can do it too!

Agre on the hunger thing but noticed 2 things: 1/ sleeping way more helps a lot. Whenever I re-start strength training, I am always super tired and hungry, and sleeping 7-8 hours per night helps a ton, even with the hunger; 2/ the hunger will subside. I have been eating way less while maitaining 1 session of strength training and 4-6 sessions of cardio and while I was STARVING the first week, this week I am more okay. There too sleeping off hunger helps, becauase there is a max level of hunger you reach, then it goes away.

So make sure to listen to your body and feed it protein, but feel free to ignore it from time to time to "reset" it - your stomach size will absolutely go down and this will help.

Good luck with boot camp too! I have always been a bit afraid of them - tell us how you did!! Mana for the win!

• Like 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

Respawns are tough but I kinda love them. Following along as you sort out your goals and your useful/not as useful habits from the last while.  <3 You got this!

• Like 3

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Re-SPAWN?

tumblr_o1zi35ynxj1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

17 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Re-SPAWN?

tumblr_o1zi35ynxj1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Hey, if dying and coming back means I get magical powers and a ripped body, then heck yes, thank you. 

Sadly, I'm still an earth-bound mortal. Boot camp this week has been exhausting but great, and is affecting my appetite in ways I don't entirely understand. I'm less hungry, but definitely getting more cravings toward protein, which means I snack less and feel icky less. I haven't necessarily noticed any body changes other than a general feeling of being stronger, but it's still early. We'll see how this pans out by the end of the month. 

• Like 2

Oh hey, I never did a week 1 wrap-up. I haven't weighed myself this wee, but I'm feeling better, and my clothes are fitting better. I did boot camp on Monday and Wednesday, and my food intake was fantastic. Thursday was an hour of trampolining (which apparently doesn't mix super well with parkour training - my reflexes were all wrong), which also kept me eating well.... then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were a welter of odd timing, no strenuous workout, and a comic con that threw my eating schedule all out of whack. So... 4 out of 7? I didn't go over calories, but the protein balance was not there. Starting again this week with boot camp on the same days. If I hit weekend trouble again, I'll revisit my schedule.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, Manarelle said:

Boot camp this week has been exhausting but great, and is affecting my appetite in ways I don't entirely understand. I'm less hungry, but definitely getting more cravings toward protein, which means I snack less and feel icky less. I haven't necessarily noticed any body changes other than a general feeling of being stronger, but it's still early.

Sounds awesome!!

Keep going strong!

What exercises do you do in bootcamp? Also usually how long are the sessions?

Definitely love the feeling of getting stronger!!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

On 9/27/2017 at 12:53 AM, Asuka said:

What exercises do you do in bootcamp? Also usually how long are the sessions?

Definitely love the feeling of getting stronger!!

It varies so much based on who the instructor is that day. Sprints, pulling/flipping tires, battle ropes (which are way more tiring than they look), wall squats on bosu balls, weighted sleds, box jumps, pull-ups, push-ups, medicine ball slams... it's always different. Sessions are 1 hour, and while you can use the weights area before/ after, I'm usually pooped by the end of it. 

Week, what, 2? Still tracking food, and although I got a bit off this weekend, it wasn't as bad as last, so I'll just keep on going. I did weight/ measure myself this week: gained 1 lb and the only measurement than changed is my waist went down 1/2", so I'm thoroughly confused. Two weeks isn't enough to make judgement on, though, so again... keep on going. Self defense class was good, I think I'm starting to get the basics down, and although I skipped parkour practice afterwards (of course...), I think I found reason to keep doing it, even if it's just on my own and for having fun. So, nothing exciting to report, just... keep on going. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I did weight/ measure myself this week: gained 1 lb and the only measurement than changed is my waist went down 1/2", so I'm thoroughly confused. Two weeks isn't enough to make judgement on, though, so again... keep on going.

A 1 pound difference could be from almost anything. For me, it's usually related to how good I've been at staying hydrated, and to how long it's been since I've used the bathroom. Your waist measurement going down probably means you're doing something right though!

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I think we're all waiting to hear about your Comic-Con experience

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

4 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I think we're all waiting to hear about your Comic-Con experience

Hahaha, silly me for ignoring the good parts. :) My gentleman and I wore the same Star Wars gear we wore to Terrificon, because it was a last-minute decision to go, and I didn't have time to make anything new. (See below). Got a number of comments, but still did not sign up for the costume contest. However, my gentleman's grand-niece said she'd be willing to teach me painting techniques in return for making thermoplastic cosplay piecesfor her, so as soon as I wrap up making more work clothes, I'll poke my nose into that. 

Other than cosplay, the con was good, with one downside. My gentleman has been waiting nine years for a commission from a specific artist. The guy promised he'd have it there, then looked surprised when we showed up, and started on it while we were standing there. He ended up doing 2 head shots on backer boards, instead of a full-body pose on (idk, nice paper?), but my gentleman decided 9 years was enough, and just walked away from the financial loss. Kind of ended things on a down note, but at least it's closed now. Overall, it was a pretty good day, and I hope to have new cosplay pieces (hopefully a bit more intricate) for the 2018 season. 

Better, Red? :)

IMG_4570.jpg

• Like 3

Better ^_^ although I'm sorry for that 9 year loss 

• Like 2

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

My gentleman has been waiting nine years for a commission from a specific artist. The guy promised he'd have it there, then looked surprised when we showed up, and started on it while we were standing there. He ended up doing 2 head shots on backer boards, instead of a full-body pose on (idk, nice paper?), but my gentleman decided 9 years was enough, and just walked away from the financial loss. Kind of ended things on a down note, but at least it's closed now.

Man, that's the worst. I just think of all the artists would LOVE to have someone loyal enough to wait that long. Such a bummer. 

Still, glad he got *something* out of it and the rest of the con sounds like it went well!

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 10/2/2017 at 5:40 PM, Red1263 said:

Better ^_^ although I'm sorry for that 9 year loss 

21 hours ago, traaki said:

Man, that's the worst. I just think of all the artists would LOVE to have someone loyal enough to wait that long. Such a bummer. 

Still, glad he got *something* out of it and the rest of the con sounds like it went well!

Yeah, frustrating, to say the least. My gentleman was polite enough to let the artist's wife know that he was dissatisfied, but calling it quits because he didn't want to keep up the hope-disappointment cycle, and the wife went off on him about how he should be grateful that he got anything, since there are paying customers to deal with (forgetting he paid 9 years ago, I guess), and some really nasty responses. Apparently they were going through some family issues, but still.... not a nice way to end things. Either way, though, it's over, and there are plenty of other artists that my gentleman had very nice interactions with. And now he knows to stay away from that one. :) You live, you learn!

I only got two photos while there, but here they are: Love people's ingenuity and skill!

IMG_48471.jpg  IMG_48461.jpg

• Like 4

Week, I guess 3, review:

Still grinding away at boot camp. It's not really gotten any easier, but I'm sticking with it. Ditto with the food tracking, and I seem to be settling into some good habits there (except today when I forgot to eat before going to boot camp, and definitely noticed a difference, oops). I cut out the real fabric for work pants, and spent two hours just getting the fly correct. Seems like a long time, but I wanted to make sure it looked good (and it did). Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to keep working on it and then.... oh then..... :)

Took today off, because we had plans to go see some gardens in PA. The rain made that a no go, sadly, so I took my car in for an overdue service. 25k miles, and they tell me I need all new tires before winter. I believe them - I've slid on wet roads even when I first got the car - but that's a) obnoxious, b ) unexpected, and c) pricey. Trying to decide if that's the sort of thing that a savings account is for, or if I should try to scrape the money from elsewhere and probably mess up Christmas shopping. Hm, sounds like savings would be smarter. 

Finally caught on that the reason my gentleman is asking me to make an Aeryn Sun outfit is because he already has a Chriton one (I don't always catch on quickly). I found a couple patterns to try making her trench coat out of, since the minimum outfit of black tank, black pants, and combat boots would look vastly different on me than on Claudia Black. We shall see, though. That would be a fun winter project. 

I'll stop blathering now. Life is decent, boot camp still kicks my tail, and I have plans... :) 

• Like 4

Sounds like you have everything down!

Sorry to hear about your negative experience at the con - sounds like neither the wife nor the artist deserved you as customers. Hope other artists will make up for it!

Glad to see you sticking to boot camp! I have been thinking about going for YEARS, but never gathering the courage to exercise in public.

Hope week 4 will be good too!

I am impressed with your ability to make clothes - the further I ever went was to make clothes for my Barbie dolls...

• Like 2

On 10/13/2017 at 4:29 AM, Asuka said:

Sounds like you have everything down!

Heh, thank you for the vote of confidence. I have solid plans, although execution isn't always prompt. 

Week 4:

Still tracking, had some consistent days safely under calorie range, even. Is it perfect? No, but I'm settling in well. I did not measure myself this weekend, having forgotten I was aiming for a body fat % reduction, but I'd hazard a guess that I haven't quite hit it. There are some noticeable changes to my body, but I don't think they add up to 1%. No worries, though, I'll keep trying next challenge. 

I did purchase an exercise monitor/ heart rate monitor for my birthday, so hopefully that'll give me a more realistic count on calories burned throughout the week. I skipped my second cardio workout this week due to a doctor's visit which required internal "samples" removed for testing - apparently they frown on strenuous activity after that. Otherwise, though, workouts and healthy eating continues.

I didn't finish the pants (good lord, there's a lot of work that goes into pants, and it's worse with stretchy material!), but I am so much closer - "just" need to hand-sew the inside of the waistband down, add the button and snap at the waistband, and then hem the legs (also handsewing) and I will be done! They are super comfy, but feel weird since I've literally never had pants touch the back of my waist (14" difference between hips and waist means you'll always have a gap in the waistband). Despite that, I think they turned out pretty well:

Almost%20done%203_1.jpgAlmost%20done%201.jpg

Pardon the background, that's the lego room. Anyway, I'm calling that a win. Next stop, thermoplastics!

• Like 3

Sounds awesome! You seem like you will continue on next challenge well!! I'll definitely check it out as well!

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Manarelle said:

They are super comfy, but feel weird since I've literally never had pants touch the back of my waist (14" difference between hips and waist means you'll always have a gap in the waistband).

HAHAHAHAHAHA

This comment made me reached out to the back of my waist (hopefully discreetely) at work, wondering if it was the same for me (since 14" sounds right ^_^). I had forgotten I almost exclusively wear pants with elastic at the waist (thank you Uniqlo), so my pants touch my back, although a bit lower than the front :D

Mana, you totally made my day!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, traaki said:

Those pants are so fancy!! And so is your lego room!!

10 hours ago, Akura said:

I don't know whether I should love you or hate you right now...

Haha, thank you. The lego room isn't, technically, mine - my gentleman is the "Stuff"-collector. I'd much rather the walls be absolutely bare with maybe one picture, but since the option was shoving all that in a storage unit.... I let him line the walls (in almost every room) with stuff

• Like 1