Learning The Elements

12 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

@Elastigirl pointed me towards this group as I just recently purchased this program and will be working through is. I've watched the videos in day 1 but there was a ton of material there and I'm still digesting it. The plan is to do most of my Elements stuff as a part of my AM treadmill time but when I need to I'll tack some on to my PM workouts as well.

I have done most of these motions at some point in time but I'm trying to be patient and aware and not just breeze through them and make the same mistakes over again. 

There is a bunch of material. I think you will get a lot of out of it by taking the time to digest and be aware of the movement.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Today was bent  arm monkey practice. I really enjoyed that. I like how there three movements, but then lots of variations. 

My training log:

Wednesday

Warm up Elements

Bent arm monkey 10 minutes rest as needed

Felt strong in this, the movement seemed to come fairly easy, I am getting better at how to load my arms

Monkey 180 to frogger 5 minutes

Started rough but I got better as I went along, lots of breaks

Lounge chair

Lunge

L- arm

• Like 4

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

A couple questions:

1. When the practice is prescribed as 5:00 of Bear, rest as needed. Are you doing 5 minutes including rest or 5 minutes and not counting rest?

2. I noticed that on the Bear videos for week 1 that they are keeping their legs straight. I have been practicing that way as a result. However my training partner said she watched some of their other videos they do the more common bent knee approach. What are other folks doing, straight legs or bent knees?

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

I thought it was including rest when I did it before, but now that you mention it it does make sense to stop the timer while resting... hmm...

As far as bent/straight, if you're a physics geek you can think of the angle of your legs as influencing the angle (and vector) of your torso. So straight legs = higher torso = more weight on the arms/shoulders. However, bent legs might contribute to other motions that Bear is a baseline for. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, The Most Loathed said:

A couple questions:

1. When the practice is prescribed as 5:00 of Bear, rest as needed. Are you doing 5 minutes including rest or 5 minutes and not counting rest?

2. I noticed that on the Bear videos for week 1 that they are keeping their legs straight. I have been practicing that way as a result. However my training partner said she watched some of their other videos they do the more common bent knee approach. What are other folks doing, straight legs or bent knees?

You don't stop the timer, just keep it going. They have a couple of test days where you can see how much you've increased you work vs rest ratio

Most of the training video's I've seen they have straight legs. When someone on the GMB boards asked this, the trainer replied with Wobbegongs answers. Basically it depends on what you want to work on. I think the ideal is straight legs. That's what I've been working on. Sorry I was slow on responding. Been a busy week, and I forgot to check here.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Wobbegong said:

I thought it was including rest when I did it before, but now that you mention it it does make sense to stop the timer while resting... hmm...

As far as bent/straight, if you're a physics geek you can think of the angle of your legs as influencing the angle (and vector) of your torso. So straight legs = higher torso = more weight on the arms/shoulders. However, bent legs might contribute to other motions that Bear is a baseline for. 

I've heard Ryan say it is total time of 5 minutes. I can't remember if he said that later in the videos or I heard it on an Alpha Posse podcast, I just  remember the clarification

• Like 3

Sorry I've been sort of quiet here the last week.  To make up for it, here is a massive long update on my training log and tons of videos for your amusement/ pleasure;)

Monday

Warm up
plank/ side plank each side 30 sec

Elements  5 minutes bent bear- I really struggle with this one. When I bend my arms, my legs want to bend too, so I really have to focus on not bending them. And I struggle with getting my butt up while my arms are bent.

5 minutes Spiderman- I like this. I spent the first several minutes in the first progression. I like this stretch. At first I noticed that I was forgetting after the spiderman to put my butt back up, so then I tried to focus on that. For the last couple minutes I did the full progression. For some reason, I was having trouble getting into the flow, and kept forgetting which foot I was on.

Pressurize_ By circuit 4 I was really tired. Good tired, about a 7, but glad there wasn’t another circuit. Spiderman went better. I didn’t go as deep into the pushup, and that helped me with the flow of it.

Stretch

Modified dog FF

Forward bend

Wednesday

Warm up

5 minutes each-rest as needed

Bent monkey- I enjoy this as I was doing it. It occurred to me that I may be bending my arms some in the normal frogger. Bent for me is easier than straight.

180 monkey- started out awkard, re-watched video and it got better.

High monkey- worked on keeping the arms straight, and raising my hips up high

Stretches

Later I did modified downward dog and thoracic from FF, the downward dog was the best I’ve done, I think after the walk, my ankles were really warmed up and ready for the stretch

Friday 9/29/17

Warm up

Then 5 minutes each rest as needed

Banzai Frogger

High Frogger

Frogger

Notes: Banzai frogger is fun. Tiring though, I take lots of breaks.

High frogger: practiced raising my hips like Chris suggested. Took a video of it

Frogger: worked on pulling my legs with my arms

Pressurization 4 rounds  30 sec

Banzai, Bear, High Frogger,Monkey, frogger

By the time I got to frogger I was really tired, noticed that when I am tired I have a tendency to bend my arms , so I focused on keeping them strainght, elbow pits out

Stretching:

I found in FF that there is an intergrated stretch for Elements. I’ve been doing the stretches for the A-frame, since that is where I need it. Been doing it all week, and starting to see improvements. Also during all the stretches, I am working at keeping my back straight.  I should video my stretching routine and see how I am doing on form.

FF style

Downward dog

Thoracic stretch

Hamstring stretch

videos

Bear, Spider-Man,High Frogger;

Mr Incredible was working from home, so you get a rare sighting of him. And our bed that is made out for company

• Like 2

Tomorrow is an assessment. What you do in the assessment is you just see how long you can go non stop. You do that on week 1, 3, 6 , and I'm guessing near the end. I misunderstood and just thought you were supposed to do as you previous times, go for 5 minutes, except this time note times. But the idea is to see how much endurance you've built up. 

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

You don't stop the timer, just keep it going. They have a couple of test days where you can see how much you've increased you work vs rest ratio

I noticed that in week 2 they are much more explicit in saying that you leave the timer running. That's when they add compressions which appears to just be their term for unbroken time of a movement. 

I finally managed to figure out where YouTube was hiding my videos from me. Here are my initial assessment videos:

Bear

Monkey

Frogger

• Like 2

Battle Log

@The Most Loathed you have great form! Is that your gym? You have so much room-that's awesome. With the bear, it's easier to tell what your a-frame looks like if you film from the side.

• Like 1

@The Most Loathed and I were chatting on his thread about Elements, and he said I should post what I said over here, as you guys would probably be interested. We were talking about the benefits of the program and  I was talking about the benefits I'd seen in people over on the GMB forums, and in myself. I was explaining why I decided to do Elements, even though I at first didn't really see how doing animal movements was supposed to help;)

. I wasn't really a fan,(of Elements) but on the GMB forums they really stress that it is a good program to do to give you a good base, so I decided to try. More than flexibility and strength, my overall goal was just body awareness. With all the prying goblet work, I have a pretty good squat, but I think it has been good to build up strength in my hips.

I'm on week 7.  I would think that too about diminishing returns, though I have seen some people on the GMB forum who have gone through several times, and they are obviously gaining strength and control each time. I'm just a beginner still compared to you as far as strength work, but by about week 4, I no longer called it a low level of functional strength. Now on week 7, when I finish my workout, I  feel like I've worked all my muscles. Looking at my legs the other day, and I have gained muscle in my hamstrings and quads. Which is odd, considering the only KB work I've done is maintenance, and I didn't feel like the animal movements were enough to really gain muscle- maybe just helping to activate those muscles more, so I am using them more? Don't know, but I'll take it.

On the final week of Elements. This week, every day is practice. When I started this, I thought it would be pretty easy and I would  do my kettlebell stuff too. But by the end of my Elements practice, I'm pretty tired and ready to be done. Not sure if that is the case with  stronger people like TML, but it was with me. 

• Like 1

Ask me in five weeks :)

What does a practice session look like for you at this point?

I'm only on week 3 which is where the variations start: bent arm bear, monkey 180, high frogger, and backwards frogger. My session currently have 10 minutes that include rest then 5 1 minute rounds of the core movements. The step up from the basic movements to these new variations has certainly upped the complexity for me but I will say that at this point I'm still able to train normally.

What do you think that you'll do next? You mentioned that some people on the GMB boards cycle through this program, do you know if they make any modifications to subsequent rounds?

• Like 1

Battle Log

10 minutes 180 monkey to bent arm monkey to high monkey

then 10 minutes of the same movements , just in any order that you wanted 

then pressurize which is 4 rounds of

180 monkey

monkey

bear

bent arm monkey 

frogger

I am really trying to focus on transferring my weight to my shoulders, and doing slow controlled movements, so that for me is tiring. Next I think I will do their Intergral Strength program. I thought about doing the paralettes, but I think the strength will set me up to better focus on the rings.

The people who go through it again just focus on  doing the movements wit h more control, and getting it so they are putting more weight unto their arms.

• Like 1

Finished! Wrap up and summary. I posted this  in GMB's posse, so that is the trainer's I'm referring to. Thanks for encouraging me and keeping me accountable.

WEEk 8 Day 6 Final day
Warm up
BAP- bear , monkey, frogger
Bear good job sticking butt in air, nice squat on monkey, frogger, I sort of forgot we were supposed to start from tabletop, and then I remembered after watching the BAP, but I really struggled with this and not sure how, so finally just gave up, and figured I’d ask next time around

High frogger to spiderman to high frogger, a little less awkward, next time I do Elements I’ll film it and get some feedback

Play; bear to frogger transition, did the spiderman to frogger which seemed smoother than the transition to high frogger, did some backward bear, just played and did whatever I felt like with the two movements

Pressurize: I was tired. Fighting a cold, so stamina was low .Took 90 seconds break in between circuits. The moves were solid and smooth (well high frogger to spiderman is still pretty rough, fine on each movement just not sure of the transition
Stretch

Summary
• What transitions and patterns did you like the most? Which were hardest?
Bear to frogger, frogger to monkey were my favorites, and after a while I really started to like monkey 180, Hardest is the high frogger to Spider-Man

• What new thing did you learn this week that clicked with you the most?
Exhale right as I do the movement
I wrote one thing and then changed it. Earlier this week, I was frustrated because my bear hadn’t improved as much as I thought it needed to. Chris reminded me that I had made improvements, and I had time. One of the reasons I started GMB was that I was losing the fun of fitness. I need to just remember to enjoy what I can do and not worry so much about if I get to that final destination goal, because the goal will always be moving forward. Enjoy the journey. I love how the trainers always remind us to focus on that.I need those reminders

• How will this change the way you approach movement the next time you practice?
Remember to breath out as I push down with hands
Enjoy what I am doing
• Where would you like to go from here? You could go through the program again and plug in the movement variations that were most difficult for you, or you could go back to your regular training and see how practicing Elements affects your performance in that. You have a lot of options!
I’ve got PVC pipe to make paralettes to practice the L-sit on. Going to do Integral strength and Focused Flexibil

• Like 2

Congrats on finishing the program, and seeing results!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman