Equinoxe

Hello there, Druids! I am very excited to be joining my first challenge with your Guild. My name is Equinoxe, I love cooking and funky sunglasses. Pleased to meet you!

For my challenge, I wanted to focus on deepening my mindfulness/meditation practice. I thought I might find some wonderful like-minded company here.

I'm a big fan of nerdy themed-challenges. Wouldn't want to leave home without one! I'm ambitious, so I'm kicking off what will (hopefully!) be the first of many meditation-centered challenges.

The mindful and spirited nature of Airbending came to mind. So without further ado -

giphy.gif

Equinoxe's Airbender Challenge

giphy.gif

Mindful Study: Reading and Practice

My goal is an hour a day of solid mindfulness practice:

30 minutes of reading/study, 15 minutes of meditation in the morning, 15 minutes at night.

It's a more rigorous schedule than I've ever tried, but work's never been more rigorous than it is right now.

I get the feeling that some discipline here will help a lot! 

giphy.gif

Mindful Moving: Hit the gym 4x per week

Pretty self-explanatory. I did 3x in the last challenge, and felt great!

My biggest challenge will be making sure I hit all four. I hate routines, and so it's difficult when to predict

I'll be able to make it in for a workout. If it comes to two-a-days on a Saturday, so be it!

sokka-gif.gif

Mindful Eating: No Distractions!

I have a habit of eating while working, eating while surfing the web, eating while nervous...

My goal is to eat 3 meals a day (with no distractions) and to be more mindful of my urges when I want a snack.

This means no eating while I'm working at the office! I'll take a break and have a snack.

No snacking while walking from meeting to meeting! Just no. Same with snacking while stressed! Nope.

I will sit in a meeting and munch a salad or sip my soylent (yes, I know) like a GROWN LADY. But no more downing chocolate on-the-go because I need an energy kick.

giphy.gif

Life Goal: Build the Sanctuary

This is a hold-over from the last challenge, but I really want to see it through. 

I have a spare bedroom that's been holding unused furniture ever since I moved into my apartment.

My goal is to sell all the furniture, fix up the room, and turn it into a dedicated meditation and movement space.

Excited to get this challenge underway! I'll be spending Week 0 doing minor tests, to see what pitfalls I might run into with the challenge.

There's no way I'll be an Airbending Master in 4 weeks, but it's a good place to start! Here we go!

• Like 3

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

On 9/14/2017 at 9:47 PM, Murphy's Roommate said:

Regular, or Cacao Soylent? 

Cacao...  So tasty.... 

Turning useless stuff into karma or cash is awesome.  Donate or sell it, if you sell it, consider using a google voice or a pre-paid phone to keep your number off the internets. 

Haha, I'm just a Regular person, I guess! I'm actually never tried Cacao... I'm had Coffeist, Chai and Vanilla, but Original's still my favorite. Will have to find a Cacao!

Good point on the number; I'm trying to keep it to selling only to people I know, for that exact reason... but if it comes to it, those are really good tips! Thanks!

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

Welcome to the Druids!

Soylent always makes me think of the movie. Do you know it? Its an old sciencefiction where food is just soylent red, yellow and green...

Have a great time!

• Like 2

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

On 9/16/2017 at 11:00 PM, Sunmage said:

Welcome to the Druids!

Soylent always makes me think of the movie. Do you know it? Its an old sciencefiction where food is just soylent red, yellow and green...

Have a great time!

Hahaha, ohhhh yes. And I still think of the movie. But I did check the ingredients verrrry carefully, and I didn't see anything too suspicious...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

Day 1:

Mindful Study:

Today was a really busy start to the challenge; I had an afternoon-long lecture event (TEDx! Fun!) and it was also my sister's birthday. So while I did get my reading and meditation in, it was definitely rushed in there. Looking forward to feeling more in control in the future!

Moving: 

Went to the gym first thing in the morning, just to make sure I got in there. I think early morning weekend sessions are going to help a lot this challenge!

Eating:

Could have been worse! Definitely had some birthday treats, but of course, those only come around every so often. I felt really thoughtful and intentional around everything I had today.

Life Goal: 

Found a buyer for the last large pieces yesterday; now all we have to do is dismantle it all and schedule pickup. Getting closer!

• Like 1

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

Days 2 + 3:

Spoiler alert: Day 2 was pretty great, Day 3 was a bit of a bummer.

I did make it to the gym on Day 3, so that's good! 2/4 sessions for the week, complete. 

However, I'm glad I looked over my calendar this week, because I quickly realized that my grand plan to workout in the evenings after work is just... impossible. For no other reasons than I've loaded myself up for the entire week with workout-killing commitments.

giphy.gif

Ugh. BUT the positive side is now I know in order to complete this challenge, I've got to do 5am workouts. But hey, I was asking for more discipline, right?

Anyways, moving on:

Mindful Eating: Did great on Day 2, totally failed on Day 3. A poor night's sleep (up at 3am working on client stuff), all-day meetings, a big strategic argument and work and a late-night party sent me scrambling for snacks all evening, just to keep my energy up. It was a good example of what NOT to do in the future, if I can avoid it. There's got to be some good learnings here, I'm sure.

Mindful Study: Again, great on Day 2, on Day 3 it just didn't happen. With this, I've got to make sure I carve the time out for it and stick to it; even if it's in the middle of the day or the evening. I can be flexible, as long as I make the space for it...

Life Goal: Big updates coming soon! It involves a large truck, three strong guys and a lot of moving furniture up and down stairs. But I have a plan.

• Like 2

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

You weren't lightly saying mindfulness.

Congrats on being mindful of learning how to change things to make your goals happen so far this week. 

Interesting sounding plans for getting that guest room clean!

Sending you the good vibes for rest of the week!

Fresh Druid Graduate Lvl 0

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

Logistics...  Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.  The next level talk diplomacy.  You are meeting the hidden challenge of logistics.  And yes, 5 a.m. is a friend of discipline.  On the flip side...  5 a.m. is rewarding.  Especially for you up in northern Colorado.  Take a moment as you dash about, to feel the air and sense what is going on around you. 

Is there a lesson to be learned from moving the furniture? 

- Murphy's Roommate

On 9/21/2017 at 7:08 PM, Bouncer the Resilient said:

You weren't lightly saying mindfulness.

Congrats on being mindful of learning how to change things to make your goals happen so far this week. 

Interesting sounding plans for getting that guest room clean!

Sending you the good vibes for rest of the week!

Thanks so much, Bouncer! 

On 9/21/2017 at 11:48 PM, Murphy's Roommate said:

Logistics...  Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.  The next level talk diplomacy.  You are meeting the hidden challenge of logistics.  And yes, 5 a.m. is a friend of discipline.  On the flip side...  5 a.m. is rewarding.  Especially for you up in northern Colorado.  Take a moment as you dash about, to feel the air and sense what is going on around you. 

Thank you, will do! That's a good point about 5am. I have not had the best attitude about it recently; because I see it as necessary to get things done. but really, you've got a point; 5am in NoCo is a gift to be sure. I should treat it as one!

On 9/22/2017 at 3:02 PM, Vibrantella said:

Hey, happy (nick)name day! ;)

Hahahaha, thank you!! I ran into work on Friday with fall-themed treats, and was greeting everyone with "GUYS HEY GUYS it's the first day of Fall, it's the equinox today! HAPPY FALL, Y'ALL"

And then everyone made comments along the lines of, "Wow, you as well; hey you seem super excited" 

*mumbling a bit* "Well yeah I just like it I think it's pretty special or something"

giphy.gif

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Like 2

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

Days 4, 5 & 6 -

Pretty strong all around! I had some absolutely crazy days at work, but working out in the mornings and taking a reading break at lunch has helped me stay on track.

Mindful Study:

I missed one or two sitting sessions in the evening (because I fell asleep before I remembered to sit down), but generally this has been going well. I'm reading slowly because I take a ton of notes, but the note-taking really helps me remember what I'm trying to process. Besides, one of my books is full of margin-notes I was making 3+ years ago; those are super fun to read through, and see what I was thinking then.

Mindful Movement:

4/4 gym sessions for the first week, complete! It's funny though; I'm starting a new wellness program through my work, and the health coach wants me to do 2-3 sessions a week at the most. Huh. I think what may happen here is I do 2 gym sessions, and 2-3 light yoga/rowing sessions. I'm much more of a 'move every day' gal, but I understand that maybe I shouldn't lift heavy everyday...

Mindful Eating:

Not been great, but I start a plant-based Whole30 on Monday, as part of this wellness program (surprise!). So... that's become a focus! I have a lot of shopping to do today. 

Life Goal: Furniture is out, rowing machine is IN! Today I'm going to work on installing the MMA-style flooring to get it all gym'd up in there.

• Like 2

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie