How Far I'll Go -Elastigirl

Elastigirl

6 minutes ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Hmmm, for me it depends on the context. In this particularly situation I think I would have done what you did and not say anything. When it is specifically health related, and only partially health/fitness related, my default is always gently nudging people towards a health professional. 

This. It's an even weirder feeling when you are a health professional, but I try to keep in mind that outside of a formal relationship with the person, I only have part of the story. Primum non nocere.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

11 hours ago, Rooks said:

Retired, accountant, fairly sedentary. Recently his ankle was bothering him again, and I asked about it.

Eish, didn't see this part of the question: it's difficult w.r.t. medical advice, you could maybe ask whether he has tried some ankle exercises, or been advised by a therapist/doctor to do specific exercises. Then take it from there. Some people just won't do anything anyway.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

15 hours ago, Rooks said:

I'm finally here and...

giphy.gif

Can't believe no one threw that gif up yet.

Usually, I'm the same as you. I tend to not say anything unless people explicitly ask my opinion on it. 

I love Maui! Definitely need more Maui gifs.

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Usually only if they ask, but if they make comments like: "a woman should never lift weights or lift heavier than 5kg, because it will make her big", I'll reply with something like "actually that is not true" give a little bit of info and real life example but try to keep it short and not drown them in info. You can quickly see in their eyes when they shut their brain down :D If they are interested they'll ask.

Yeah, I have friends who think that they shouldn't try and get muscles and say things like that, and pretty much whether they want to hear it or not, I feel the need to speak to that myth, when they say things like that. But then I can speak facts such as how muscle building build strong bones, not really telling them what to do, just the facts about why actually it is very important for women to build muscle.

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

No, no one really wants advice. Everyone already knows that they need to move more and eat less. Reminding them just gets them cranky at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

Agree with others, BUT this isnt about losing weight/getting stronger is it? Its about a health issue, so in this case, i would offer advice :)

Sort of, but I think he needs to exercise his ankle to get it stronger. Good thought , thanks

5 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Hmmm, for me it depends on the context. In this particularly situation I think I would have done what you did and not say anything. When it is specifically health related, and only partially health/fitness related, my default is always gently nudging people towards a health professional. 

He had already been to a Dr. My frustration is that doctors are symptom managers. He had gotten good advice, the usual ice, rest etc. But not (as far as I know) any information on exercise rehab to keep it from recurring, and it has been a chronic problem.I think especially after you are in your 50's, doctors just sort of treat it like it's normal, and I find that sad.

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

This. It's an even weirder feeling when you are a health professional, but I try to keep in mind that outside of a formal relationship with the person, I only have part of the story. Primum non nocere.

Yeah, I can see where that would be even weirder.

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Eish, didn't see this part of the question: it's difficult w.r.t. medical advice, you could maybe ask whether he has tried some ankle exercises, or been advised by a therapist/doctor to do specific exercises. Then take it from there. Some people just won't do anything anyway.

I like the task of asking whether the doctor had recommended specific exercises. Asking a question, and then leaving it open to see if that leads anywhere.

To all of you who answered:

Thanks for giving me your thoughts. Sometimes I come away from social situation wondering if I did the right thing. It is nice to be able to come here and sort it out. I feel less guilty now for not talking about it. If it comes up again, I might ask if he has been given any exercises to help, like Elize suggested and see where that leads. But if I don't I won't feel guilty. Most people look at me now as healthy and in shape, so if they want to ask questions they know they can.

• Like 6

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

.... Last week, I  rolled into a pistol, and was able to hold the bottom position of the squat easily. I had kind of wondered if doing silly movements like monkey and bear would translate into more flexibility, but it does seem to be working. And I can just stay in the squat position better. I'm also getting a better feel for what it means to transfer the weight to your hands and shoulders on the ground in movements. Sorry, thinking it through as I write this, but this is my long winded way of saying , yes I think it is good to do Elements first. 

You've sold me on it.

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Do you guys offer your friends advice on working out, mobility, food, etc, even if they haven't asked? I veer to no, if they want to know they will ask, but then I feel a bit guilty.

Not if they don't ask. I will ask questions in that directions. "When did your ankle start to hurt?" "Do you have days when it doesn't hurt?" "How are you treating it currently?". I'm not necessarily trying to give advice via question, just kind of exploring the space with them.

• Like 3

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Do you guys offer your friends advice on working out, mobility, food, etc, even if they haven't asked? I veer to no, if they want to know they will ask, but then I feel a bit guilty. If you do offer, how do you do it so you don't come off as pushy? I think sometimes I am way too quiet on this issue, for fear of being obnoxious.

Case in point, a friend of mine deals with recurring ankle problems. Retired, accountant, fairly sedentary. Recently his ankle was bothering him again, and I asked about it. He told me it was getting better. I'm thinking that the best way for him to get better is to do some ankle exercises every day, but I don't say anything,because he didn't ask. I didn't want him to think the only reason I asked was because I wanted to tell him what I wanted him to do-that annoys me when people do that to me. But then later I felt bad that I hadn't said anything. So how do you guys handle the situations? I feel like a now know a bit to help people, but I don't want to be that person.

In this kind of situation, I'd probably do something like TML and ask questions - stuff like "How long has it been hurting?" "Is there something that makes it worse/better?" "Have you had it checked?" And if I've had a similar issue I might offer up something that helped me. But I wouldn't offer general advice, just more problem/situation based advice if that makes sense

Following!

I think the advice thing depends on your relationship with the person too. With some friends, I'd feel totally comfortable saying "have you considered doing some ankle exercises every morning?" or something and they might not take the advice, but there wouldn't be anything weird about saying it. For anyone less than a pretty close friend, I wouldn't say anything unless they asked or I had very specific experience with the thing. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 9/18/2017 at 6:54 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

No, no one really wants advice. Everyone already knows that they need to move more and eat less. Reminding them just gets them cranky at you.

^^^  This, completely.  Your friends know that you exercise and are full of knowledge.  So, if they don't specifically ask you for advice or help, then they really don't want to hear it; they just want to complain.  The only time I would consider speaking up would be if I could say something like: "I used to have similar ankle problems too, but they're better now."  Then I would wait to see if they ask for details as to what you did to fix things, but be ready to just drop it if they don't ask.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yesterday went well. Our summer changed abruptly to fall.We needed the rain, I am thankful for it. But the sudden change has me missing summer a bit. However, I did go for two walks yesterday. One in the afternoon.The sun came out, and it was warm enough that I took my jacket off. Then hubby and I went in the evening. It was rainy, but not for the whole walk, and it was just a short walk.

Did my workout.

I received my Hawaii scrapbook.Love how it turned out.

I didn't do my math yesterday. I keep saying I am going to do it when I am less busy, but that doesn't happen. Today I am setting the timer for 15 minutes and working on it. I can fit in 15 minutes.

Today's workout was the HIIT for the mini

9/18/17

Monday

Warm up

Hollow hold 20 x 2

Spiderman 10 minutes -breaks as needed

30 dead hang

20 sec hollow hold, 30 sec hollow hold

Wall handstand 15sec, 20 sec

Cobra

L arm

Lounge chair

Forward fold

Very rough at first- just worked on first progression for about the first 6 minutes. By the end it was smooth, and I had a good feel and flow to the movement. Then moved to the second progression.That upped the difficulty. I found my arms quickly tired, so I took several breaks. I did something different this time. I hadn’t done this before, because I didn’t know how to do it with running a timer. But I stopped the timer occasionally, and reviewed the demo video. I had watched it last night, and right before I started. But sometimes I need to try the movement, then I have a question about where my feet and hands go, and want to re-watch the video. I hate to kept the timer going, because it sucks up time. Before I had just tried to remember, but this time I looked at the video. I think this method worked for me.

Bear to bear

Worked on keeping my butt up. My turns are still a bit sloppy. I didn’t video it. Nexct time I will so I can get some pointers.

I decided I wanted to work on my handstands again. I haven’t in over a year. I got stuck at kicking up into the wall, and was frustrated, so I put them aside for a while. Now that I’m a member of the posse, I decided it was time to start up again. Watched the tutorial.  Worked on hollow holds, Did a few against the wall holds, really working on good form, tight legs, hollow hold. Hope to do some more this afternoon.

Tuesday

Elements warm up

Ankle raises

Jump rope 30 sec on 30sec rest x 5

HIIT workout

High knees/ squat/high knees/ jumping squat x 3 then switched to jumping jack and squat as knees were sore

5 sets of

Rolling pistol 5

Hollow hold 30s

Light row 20 minute

Stretch

Wrist is a bit sore, so did some lacrosse ball rolling- I think I am changing my mind about working on the handstand.With Elements that may be taxing my wrists too much. I’ll keep doing the hollow holds, but wait until later to do handstands.

• Like 12

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I’ll keep doing the hollow holds, but wait until later to do handstands.

Good plan. Elements is basically handstand prep, but the hollow holds will help with your core. Elements has TONS of wrist work and straight arm strength. I bet you'll find it sets you up very nicely to retackle handstands. :)

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

3 hours ago, Batgrl said:

Won't pretend to be up to speed yet, but I'm here to follow.  Will catch up on your awesome later tonight. :P

Squuee,Batgirl  is back! How are you doing?  Do you have a challenge?

Does Universal in California have Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey?  If so, you will be so happy you trained for thrill rides.  So much fun!!!

Nice workouts.  Have you done much HIIT before the mini?  Do you like it?

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

Good plan. Elements is basically handstand prep, but the hollow holds will help with your core. Elements has TONS of wrist work and straight arm strength. I bet you'll find it sets you up very nicely to retackle handstands. :)

That is what I was thinking too. Which is why I wanted to start now.My  wrist feels better today. I may try a bit of handstand stuff.

5 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Does Universal in California have Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey?  If so, you will be so happy you trained for thrill rides.  So much fun!!!

Nice workouts.  Have you done much HIIT before the mini?  Do you like it?

Yes, it does. We did that ride in Florida. So much fun. I had spin prepped for that trip too, but after the ride I still needed to sit  a bit and stop the world from spinning.

I've done  HIIT before. I like kettlebell HIIT, other stuff not so much. Yesterday I did a Darebee workout.It was 5 rounds of high knees and jump squats.After 3 rounds, I switched to jumping jacks because my knees hurt. I'm better, I can do more jumping than I used to, but I my joints complain if I do a bunch.

4 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

Can't believe I missed this, belatedly following along!

Hi there

2 hours ago, Moros said:

Following - I started following, but forgot to post...

sheepish_aladdin.gif

:lol:

• Like 2

I'm following for Moana, roller coasters, theme parks and E.G.- awesomeness!!!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Following for rollercoasters and Moana-awesomeness!

e77f9a6cc02962c3d796d5a0a8ed3d2b.gif

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm following for Moana, roller coasters, theme parks and E.G.- awesomeness!!!

Hi, thanks for following!

2 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Following for rollercoasters and Moana-awesomeness!

e77f9a6cc02962c3d796d5a0a8ed3d2b.gif

Welcome back! Do you have your new challenge up yet? That crab fascinates me. I just sort of stared at it for  awhile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hi, thanks for following!

Welcome back! Do you have your new challenge up yet? That crab fascinates me. I just sort of stared at it for  awhile. 

Thank you! It was an amazing trip, but time to come back to earth now...

I do now have a challenge up (in the last half hour), linky in my sig or I expect I'll be on the firstish page of the Rangers thread ^_^

Shiny is (one of) my fave song right now, that crab is just so awesome.

• Like 2

Good day today. Started off well. Set my alarm, got up, read my Bible, drank a smoothie, did my workout.  I had showered and had the kitchen clean by the time friends arrived at 10.  The sun came out this afternoon and I went on a walk. Did a small bit of yard work, picking the last apples, putting some summer stuff away, I had dinner ready by the time hubby came home, so we had time for a walk and dinner before he went to a men's church meeting. I don't know if I said it before but most of our apples were bad:( which is why I'd just chopped up the good parts and made applesauce. So today's apples that I picked went straight to compost. Next year we are going to try and prevent the apple maggot.

Besides the workout I did a few tries at wall handstand, and headstands. I can still do a headstand, even though it's been forever since I tried.

I haven't done math yet today.Need to do a bit.I did do it yesterday. I was doing the review , but had forgotten most of it. So I just decided to start over. Kind of frustrating. Better to do that than to just ignore it because I don't remember. I'm adjusting my goals.

Wednesday

Warm up Elements

Bent arm monkey 10 minutes rest as needed

Felt strong in this, the movement seemed to come fairly easy, I am getting better at how to load my arms

Monkey 180 to frogger 5 minutes

Started rough but I got better as I went along, lots of breaks

Kettlebell swings

Working on swing timing 35/35/44/44/44/44/35/35/44/44

Stretch 60 second

Lounge chair

Lunge

L- arm

Later in afternoon

Wall handstand 3 x 20 ; 60 sec rest

Tripod to headstand

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Rooks said:

Shiny was far and away my nephew's favorite song from that movie. I hadn't seen it when he was singing it and afterwards I was surprised he was singing a "bad guys" song. Now I'm skeptical of him.

7 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Thank you! It was an amazing trip, but time to come back to earth now...

I do now have a challenge up (in the last half hour), linky in my sig or I expect I'll be on the firstish page of the Rangers thread ^_^

Shiny is (one of) my fave song right now, that crab is just so awesome.

When you posted the crab, I totally forgot about Shiny from Moana. I thought he was hilarious. Don't know how I forgot him

doh.jpg

• Like 2