How Far I'll Go -Elastigirl

Elastigirl

Reading your thread feels like coming home :) missed it! 

Chili+game night, really you've got the best friends. 

How long does a geocaching session usually take you?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

what have I gotten myself into?

:lol: All sorts of fun. There's also the bent monkey, the high frogger... and lots of others

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I just love that you exercise to be able to ride roller coasters. It's brilliant. :D 

I hope it's brilliant. It seemed to work before. We'll see this time.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Reading your thread feels like coming home :) missed it! 

Chili+game night, really you've got the best friends. 

How long does a geocaching session usually take you?

And having you back is so wonderful Epsecially with your adorable avatar. Yep, my friends are great.

The awesome thing about geocaching around here is there are so many places to go, it really is choose your own adventure. Saturday we didn't have much time, so we just went nearby, cahched for a little over an hour and came home. But there are places we can go and be out all day and still not find all the caches.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Goal : Moana learns to ride the waves

Upside down, spin  three times a week-

We’ll be riding the roller coasters at Disneyland and Universal Studios.  For a lot of my life I avoided roller coasters. Now I think they are kind of fun. But my  stomach needs a bit more convincing.The  best way for me to convince my body that spinning on a ride is fun, is to spend some time spinning. It will also help me in the spring when I train on the rings. Goal is to do some sort of  rolling or spinning move  3 times a week. That may include; forward rolls, back rolls , skin the cat,  etc

2 points each day, 2 bonus points for a perfect week

Done all 3 days = 8 points

Goal: Moana learns new skills and completes her journey

Completed by the end of challenge

10 points for each/ 5 points for half way completion

1 ½ chapters of  my Algebra 2 book-I’ve lost momentum on this and need to get it back- did 3 lessons

Choose pictures for scrapbook- nothing, this week I am going to try the 5 minute plan  and see if I can get a bit done

Finish Elements GMB program- all lessons for week done

Week 41 of my Bible reading program-up to date with this

Write a list of the home remodel projects/discuss with hubby prioritize them- didn't write it out but talked about it on our walk

Write a list of to-do’s for vacation-no, and this is a high priority, I need to get cranking on this-tomorrow it will happen (ask me!)

Finish to do’s for vacation- see above

Swimming 2 times (1 time is 5 points)-may not happen

Mulch laid on garden bed- not yet

• Like 11

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

The rings program from GMB really turned out to be one of your greatest finds.  Great job still crushing those workouts.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Odinson said:

Looks like your smashing your goals! 

Thanks

13 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

The rings program from GMB really turned out to be one of your greatest finds.  Great job still crushing those workouts.

Yes, I love GMB and rings, so that is a winning combo.Thanks!

2 hours ago, maegs said:

Well? :P 

It looks like your challenge is going really well! It all sounds very autumn-y :) 

Yes, thanks for asking. It really only took 5 minutes to do the to do list, I just needed to stop and do it.

Thanks

• Like 2

Been a few days since I posted. Got a bit busy. Had  extended family spending the night  a couple of times this week, babysitting my great niece, and sunny weather so I was trying to winterize my garden. Did get my Elements workout in. And lots of walk in the sunshine. Did some gardening. Pulled up the tomatoes and cucumbers. I need to pull the basil and make stuff with it 

I did a couple of days of math but that is it. And no days of scrapbooking. @Starpuck had a great analogy on our thread that really got me thinking. She said: It feels a lot like a video game, where you want to get the main story sorted out, but you're strangled by side quests that have you running all over and give no real sense of accomplishment.  Or maybe, like you turn it in, and then they're like, "Oh good, you got me my 6 wolf pelts, now I need ten claws to make the potion!"  

It dawned on me that I felt like my challenges were like that. No matter what I didn't, I turn around and something else is needed. This week I had side quests. But all those side quests fit into my epic quest(which I wrote to  reflect my values and priorities) I'm really happy with what I got done this week, but then I feel a bit like I'm coming up short on my challenge. The truth is, I have the time to do those things normally, but sometimes life throws different things at you. So I am trying to figure out how to balance that. If I don't write goals, my default mode is to say I'm too busy, when actually I have time, but if I write down things I want to accomplish, and then side quests happen I feel guilty. Maybe just stop feeling guilty? Easier said than done.

Also I bought the book The Salt Fix: Why the  Experts Got It All Wrong, and How Eating More Might Save Your LIfe

Only read a couple of  chapters so far. I used to have high blood pressure, and one of the things that helped was eating more salt, so the subject is very interesting to me. Not only will it help me, but I hope it will give me a few points to say when people ask how I reduced my blood pressure.

One of the authors points is that the first study, where we got the hypothesis that salt increases blood pressure, was a very small sample group, and even among those people, a small amount had a very small change. And that there are actually significant side effects from eating too little salt. Our body composition is such that we need salt, and we are very good at self regulating it,

I'm going to post my long update thread of my Elements workout along with some videos on the accountabilibuddy, as this is already probably too long.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Also I bought the book The Salt Fix: Why the  Experts Got It All Wrong, and How Eating More Might Save Your LIfe

Only read a couple of  chapters so far. I used to have high blood pressure, and one of the things that helped was eating more salt, so the subject is very interesting to me. Not only will it help me, but I hope it will give me a few points to say when people ask how I reduced my blood pressure.

One of the authors points is that the first study, where we got the hypothesis that salt increases blood pressure, was a very small sample group, and even among those people, a small amount had a very small change. And that there are actually significant side effects from eating too little salt. Our body composition is such that we need salt, and we are very good at self regulating it,

@Sam Ashen has Views on the subject as well, and I think I'm starting to agree with the both of you.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

@Sam Ashen has Views on the subject as well, and I think I'm starting to agree with the both of you.

Yes, I am kind of biased.  My position on salt is to not worry about the sodium count.  I suppose a high sodium count might be a symptom of lots of processed food as opposed to real food.  I'm working on figuring out my macros.  I will worry about my sodium count when I'm not pigging out every Saturday.

Sometimes I wonder just how much bad science there is out here.  After that, then you need more bad science to support the previous bad science.

I read somewhere else our bodies regulate salt levels.

• Like 5

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I think the challenges and having goals are important, but...

giphy.gif

I love that you're so focused on yourself as a whole and letting your sidequests be important when they need to be.  Sounds like a pretty good week overall!!

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

57 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

My position on salt is to not worry about the sodium count.  I suppose a high sodium count might be a symptom of lots of processed food as opposed to real food.  I'm working on figuring out my macros.  I will worry about my sodium count when I'm not pigging out every Saturday.

The author of the book is an advocate for real food. I've just read the first chapter, but I was wondering if he would discuss the processed food connection. One of the reasons I've always thought processed food is not the healthiest choice is the sodium content , but I wonder if that isn't as big a concern as long as it doesn't have added sugars?

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Sometimes I wonder just how much bad science there is out here.  After that, then you need more bad science to support the previous bad science.

Truth. It's hard to know what to believe. Some of the problem seems to be the rush to find an easy solution

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I will share some of the other facts as I read them

49 minutes ago, Stribs said:

I think the challenges and having goals are important, but...

giphy.gif

I love that you're so focused on yourself as a whole and letting your sidequests be important when they need to be.  Sounds like a pretty good week overall!!

Thanks.It really was a good week, which is why at least part of me knows it's just silly to feel guilty

39 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Great job EG, yes fell guilty less....i need to take this advice too! x

Thanks, yep, good advice overal

• Like 2

@Tanktimus the Encourager and @Sam Ashen I forgot to say that when I had high blood pressure, I cut out almost all processed food because it was high in sodium, and hardly ever salted anything, but it didn't lower my blood pressure at all . 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

The author of the book is an advocate for real food. I've just read the first chapter, but I was wondering if he would discuss the processed food connection. One of the reasons I've always thought processed food is not the healthiest choice is the sodium content , but I wonder if that isn't as big a concern as long as it doesn't have added sugars?

I don't have a good answer for this..... because it is processed?  It might not be what is added, but what is taken out or lost.

I really do not know!

But I will go with the idea that my high sodium count is a symptom that I eat too much processed food.  It can also mean if I prep my own meals, I just like my sauces.  It also means I like my cheese!

• Like 2

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

On 9/30/2017 at 6:01 AM, Elastigirl said:

@Tanktimus the Encourager and @Sam Ashen I forgot to say that when I had high blood pressure, I cut out almost all processed food because it was high in sodium, and hardly ever salted anything, but it didn't lower my blood pressure at all . 

Brandt had the same. Lower salt intake did not lower his blood pressure. I can't remember whether he changed his exercise routine to lower it, or what else, but lower salt didn't work.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

Oh this is interesting. Please will you share more of the interesting facts that you discover?

On 9/29/2017 at 9:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

So I am trying to figure out how to balance that. If I don't write goals, my default mode is to say I'm too busy, when actually I have time, but if I write down things I want to accomplish, and then side quests happen I feel guilty. Maybe just stop feeling guilty? Easier said than done.

Yes, easier said than done, except if you adapt the goals maybe? I know exactly how you feel, because I feel the same. I want to aim for certain goals, but then these side issues/quests come up (for instance things to help the boys with), and I need to focus on them... then it takes a while to get back to my original challenge goals... When you figure it out, let me know :D

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

10 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Brandt had the same. Lower salt intake did not lower his blood pressure. I can't remember whether he changed his exercise routine to lower it, or what else, but lower salt didn't work.

Oh this is interesting. Please will you share more of the interesting facts that you discover?

Yes, easier said than done, except if you adapt the goals maybe? I know exactly how you feel, because I feel the same. I want to aim for certain goals, but then these side issues/quests come up (for instance things to help the boys with), and I need to focus on them... then it takes a while to get back to my original challenge goals... When you figure it out, let me know :D

Very few people  have a reduction in blood pressure from reducing salt. For some it can even make it worse (which is my case) If you are low carb, you really need to make sure you are getting salt.

Not really sure if adapt the goals will help.  Maybe just making less things to do? Not sure. I mean sometimes I do have time for them, it's just when unexpected stuff happens.

• Like 1

Week 2:

Upside down, spin  three times a week-

At the end of October we will be taking a trip to Disneyland and Universal Studios, where we will ride roller coasters.  For a lot of my life I avoided roller coasters. Now I think they are kind of fun. But my  stomach needs a bit more convincing. The  best way for me to convince my body that spinning on a ride is fun, is to spend some time spinning. It will also help me in the spring when I train on the rings. Goal is to do some sort of  rolling or spinning move  3 times a week. That may include; forward rolls, back rolls , skin the cat,  etc

2 points each day, 2 bonus points for a perfect week

Yes, Did forward rolls, skin the cat, and even some cartwheel 8 points earned

Goal: Moana learns new skills and completes her journey

Completed by the end of challenge

10 points for each/ 5 points for half way completion

Finish through pg 145-I’ve lost momentum on this and need to get it back

Choose pictures for scrapbook-nothing

Finish Elements GMB program- on schedule

Week 41 of my Bible reading program- on schedule

Write a list of the home remodel projects/discuss with hubby prioritize them- nope , we had to buy a new refrigerator and that took priority

Write a list of to-do’s for vacation  Yes 10 points earned

Finish to do’s for vacation

Swimming 2 times (1 time is 5 points)

Mulch laid on garden bed

Bonus: 10 points

Plan out scrapbook pages

Finish through pages 145 math

Start remodel task

Being it is my challenge, I awarded myself some bonus points this week for some side quests

5 points for choosing a new refrigerator

5 points for making a dinner for someone who was sick

TOTAL POINTS this week :28 total over two week 36 points

points goal:

80 points Moana has returned the hear to the goddess and sailed home.Prize earned. 50 points returned the stone, but has not returned home,choose a small prize

• Like 9

I had a good weekend. Saturday was our big church celebration at a park. The weather was supposed to rain all day. Instead, it was sunny, then cloudy, and  a downpour. We had tents , so during the rain we huddled in the tents. Usually we only have beer, but this year there was hard cider too. And then sausage, sauerkraut, yummy potato salad for dinner. And I bought some GF snickerdoodles. Lots of visiting, and good music. They had a cartwheel race, which even the adults participated in. I thought how it would be fun one year to be able to do them. I bought a whole bag of snickdoodles,  (homemade about 10) but threw the ones I hadn't eaten away.:( That made me sad, but I knew even if I put them in the freezer I would still eat them. And there just seems to be a reason every day why I need sugar. Which brings me to this week's plan.

SIdequest challenge: Elastigirl battle the Sugar Dragon

I've been eating sugar almost every day. Making something, or buying it, or getting into my chocolate chips. I have some dark chocolate chips which I allow myself one serving of (1 Tablespoon) but lately that number has increased to. I just feel like it is getting out of control. We are going on vacation later this month. I want to have treats, but I want it to be treats, not just I need all the sugar.

My plan:

Eat less sugar. I can have 1 tsp of honey in my tea. Other than that , I am not adding sugar to anything. I'm not going to worry about it if I eat out and there is some sugar in a sauce, but for me, I am not adding sugar. Every day I do that I earn $2 to my Kindle fund to buy books with for vacation with a $ 4 bonus for  missing  2 or less times

• Like 14

1 hour ago, VanGrrl57 said:

I'm enjoying following your challenge, Elastigirl. :D I'm not able to get online as often as I would like to but it's fun catching up with everyone when I can. :D Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

The salt issue is interesting! I've been looking into it as well because of the baby's food. Do you know "nourishing traditions"? They recommend feeding babies egg yolks and to add a little sea salt, because the little ones need it too and apparently it helps with digestion. 

Good luck with the sidequest! The sugar dragon is really tenacious.

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

17 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

The salt issue is interesting! I've been looking into it as well because of the baby's food. Do you know "nourishing traditions"? They recommend feeding babies egg yolks and to add a little sea salt, because the little ones need it too and apparently it helps with digestion. 

Good luck with the sidequest! The sugar dragon is really tenacious.

So one of the guys who first promoted salt reduction fed salt to rats who then showed no ill effects. So he modified them through inbreeding to  create salt sensitive rats, and then used those rats to support his hypothesis. He suggested that the high salt found in baby formula was to blame for the high rate of infant mortality and started a campaign to reduce the intake of salt for babies

Nourishing Traditions is a great source .

Thanks. Seems like an ongoing battle