• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echocheanic

Overwhelmed by flexibility information... help!

So, I have this long term goal. To be able to sit with my back straight and my legs fully flat on the floor. I have never been able to do it (even when I was able to touch my toes when bending down). I have been researching stretching for a while now, and I have been doing my general flexibility routine (the exercises from nerd fitness along with other small ones I have picked up over the years, the routine is usually 10 min at most). But I'm not sure this is what I am supposed to be doing, and any information I have found just further confuse me. So can anyone help? Feel free to ask anything you need to, I don't want to overwhelm people with all the information.

Sometimes when the hip flexors are tight they tilt the pelvis and pull the legs up. It could be a number of different reasons. Have you worked with a trainer, and had a movement assessment done?

10 hours ago, Machete said:

Sometimes when the hip flexors are tight they tilt the pelvis and pull the legs up. It could be a number of different reasons. Have you worked with a trainer, and had a movement assessment done?

Haven't worked with a trainer and can't afford to, I haven't had an assessment done but my flexibility is pretty average except on my legs.

When I do the move I described above, the most tension is  behind my knees,  and on the upper and lower part of the leg. I just can't seem to put them down flat on the floor no matter what I do, but can wrap one leg comfortably behind my head (my calf can fit behind there with some concentration after I've stretched). So I have no idea what the heck is happening.

5 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

Haven't worked with a trainer and can't afford to, I haven't had an assessment done but my flexibility is pretty average except on my legs.

When I do the move I described above, the most tension is  behind my knees,  and on the upper and lower part of the leg. I just can't seem to put them down flat on the floor no matter what I do, but can wrap one leg comfortably behind my head (my calf can fit behind there with some concentration after I've stretched). So I have no idea what the heck is happening.

Best thing I'd have for you is to stack some books high enough where you can comfortably sit on them with your legs and back straight, and sit there while watching TV or something, concentrating on breathing. (Try to accumulate like 10 minutes every day.) Slowly take away one book at a time while being able to maintain the position and not be in pain. If you can't take full breaths, it's too low.

Secondarily, maybe work on some V-ups and Jefferson Curls.

2 hours ago, Machete said:

Best thing I'd have for you is to stack some books high enough where you can comfortably sit on them with your legs and back straight, and sit there while watching TV or something, concentrating on breathing. (Try to accumulate like 10 minutes every day.) Slowly take away one book at a time while being able to maintain the position and not be in pain. If you can't take full breaths, it's too low.

Secondarily, maybe work on some V-ups and Jefferson Curls.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't thought of lowering my legs, I usually just sit flat and let gravity lower my knees down and sit like that (so the triangle formed by my legs and the floor gets smaller at times, but it doesn't seem to progress that much).

About the second thing you said, i spend quite a bit of time in front of a computer. Isn't a Jefferson curl not recommended then? I have heard both things. I do do a 'touch your toes' exercise but I try not to lock my knees (because it gave me a habit of locking them while standing always). With that I can touch my ankles. 

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't thought of lowering my legs, I usually just sit flat and let gravity lower my knees down and sit like that (so the triangle formed by my legs and the floor gets smaller at times, but it doesn't seem to progress that much).

About the second thing you said, i spend quite a bit of time in front of a computer. Isn't a Jefferson curl not recommended then? I have heard both things. I do do a 'touch your toes' exercise but I try not to lock my knees (because it gave me a habit of locking them while standing always). With that I can touch my ankles. 

If it doesn't make you pass out, I don't see anything wrong with locking your knees.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. To address the sitting I would go with Bridge work.

1 hour ago, Machete said:

If it doesn't make you pass out, I don't see anything wrong with locking your knees.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. To address the sitting I would go with Bridge work.

Locking your knees can make you pass out? For me it's just annoying to be standing there and look at a reflection or something and see my knees locked weirdly. :D So I am working on not doing it when not necessary.

Yeah I can't do a bridge yet, though I used to be able to. I try and exercise my spine since prolonged sitting is bad. There is this exercise where you try and lift your head without any help from your hands that I do. When talking about the Jefferson there was a thing about overflexing your spine? Here is one thing I read. Its basically a maybe but I really don't want to mess up my spine, I just got over my 'oh my god I'm suddenly tall and don't know how to stand' thing a few years ago. :D 

20 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

Locking your knees can make you pass out? For me it's just annoying to be standing there and look at a reflection or something and see my knees locked weirdly. :D So I am working on not doing it when not necessary.

Yeah I can't do a bridge yet, though I used to be able to. I try and exercise my spine since prolonged sitting is bad. There is this exercise where you try and lift your head without any help from your hands that I do. When talking about the Jefferson there was a thing about overflexing your spine? Here is one thing I read. Its basically a maybe but I really don't want to mess up my spine, I just got over my 'oh my god I'm suddenly tall and don't know how to stand' thing a few years ago. :D 

Some people insist upon it. I'm not going to argue it (because I don't want to invest the time researching). I lock mine, except when Leg Pressing.

I'm personally a Coach Sommer follower, so that's where that comes from. Your call in the end.

15 hours ago, Machete said:

Some people insist upon it. I'm not going to argue it (because I don't want to invest the time researching). I lock mine, except when Leg Pressing.

I'm personally a Coach Sommer follower, so that's where that comes from. Your call in the end.

Okay thanks for the help.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:52 AM, Echocheanic said:

So, I have this long term goal. To be able to sit with my back straight and my legs fully flat on the floor. I have never been able to do it (even when I was able to touch my toes when bending down). I have been researching stretching for a while now, and I have been doing my general flexibility routine (the exercises from nerd fitness along with other small ones I have picked up over the years, the routine is usually 10 min at most). But I'm not sure this is what I am supposed to be doing, and any information I have found just further confuse me. So can anyone help? Feel free to ask anything you need to, I don't want to overwhelm people with all the information.

I'm not fully picturing what your goal is. You want to sit like this, but with your back upright?

streching-exercise_300.jpg?itok=KMwC4XIS

Just stretch a bit further every day. Don't push it, just until you feel the pain. Once you feel it, stop. And make sure that your knees are on the floor, and bend until you feel that you are SLIGHTLY uncomfortable, and then stay in that position for a while (30secs or a minute). Then try again tomorrow, and day after that... you'll see that you become more flexible with each passing day. You can do it, just don't rush it, it needs time and patience. :)