DJ Trippy: Let the Warrior out to Play

DJtrippyT

Strength training challenge is HERE, brosciencers! 

I spent all summer doing conditioning work to prep for my annual Savannah Century bike event, so I'm ready for a change up both mentally ("wallballs? AGAIN?") and physically, as six conditioning workouts a week have put me in a state that I can most easily describe as cat-like:  sleeping 18 hours a day, eating everything, and prone to biting. 

I was going to call this challenge The Crossover Episode and dedicate it to the greatest TV crossover of all time, Magnum P.I. meets Murder She Wrote, but then I rabbit-holed deep into the youtubes and was reminded of this movie:

Oh, my god. This movie. This has to be - along with Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and The Beastmaster  -  one of the highlights of early 80's terrible cable movies. I cannot get enough of how terrible it is.

So this challenge I am going to do primarily strength work, and let the Warrior side of my Rangering come out to play. I may or may not wear bad 80's gang colors. Since I can't figure out how to put photos up anymore, you'll never know.

I am also for once going to use the S.M.A.R.T. goals guidelines for the most part, to keep me on one goal and not wander off into complete life-reinvention. I did tweak the guidelines a little... but as the Mantis likes to say, the day I use something completely "as directed" will be the day the earth slowly decays from orbit and plunges into the sun. (See also: Rangerbrain)

SMART goals are usually Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-focused, and Time-based.

I give you: S.M.A.A.R.T Goals:

SPECIFIC: I want to put 10% on my 1RM for three lifts: Back Squat, Deadlift, Sled Push. 

I will do this by focusing my gym work on lifting: 4 reps at 4 rep Max for almost all moves. This (according to someone I don't entirely trust on the internet) will give me the greatest strength gains with minimal added mass. Lower reps would give me greater absolute strength gains, but I have to remember I am not Kara Webb and I want to be smart about injury prevention.

I also really have to get away from six conditioning workouts a week. I feel like I'm not making any progress and every second I'm not working out I'm so tired I want to just lay down and become one with the carpet. So. Very. Tired. Plus my boyfriend's pissed at me all the time.

I can go back to grinding myself into dust later.

I have to figure out my 1RM for squat and deadlift, so I'll be doing that Sunday and Monday. The last time I was squatting for powerlifting I could do 175 for 3 reps but that was months ago. It's probably less now. But that was also as part of a pyramid set that started with 90 pounds for 20 reps and went up 10 pounds and down 2 reps with each set, so who knows what I can do as a stand-alone.

I tested my max Sled yesterday. I can push 210 pounds for 200 feet three times. I'd already done DT right before it so I wasn't totally fresh, but it's a good baseline.

MEASURABLE:  Even my limited math faculties can determine what a 10% increase is. Better yet, there's a calculator in my phone.

ACHIEVABLE: I think 10% is attainable. It's [whips out phone] 21 pounds for the sled, and I'll know the other two numbers by Monday after my second 1RM workout.

ACCOMPANIED: This second "A" is where we begin to veer off the standard a little. I almost always train solo (even when I ride with the Mantis, we start together and then after 5 miles he goes off to set fire to the pavement while I slog along) and frankly that shit is getting old.

You are all lovely humans and I adore you all, but there's no getting away from the fact that y'all are on the other side of a computer screen somewhere and I'd like to build some sort of a workout crew to hang out with. I actually have one good friend who, like me, does a bastardized form of crossfit, and another who has done one Spartan Race and is signed up for another, and a couple of other people I know who do various workout things, so I'm going to try and rope some of them into active activities (hiking, trail run, climb everest, whatever). I'm also going to force myself to join a couple of cycling groups to do group rides with people, and I may book a session with one of the trainers at the gym so I've got some extra support there. I should check out the "local nerd" board on here too. I know there's a couple of people in my area-ish. My boyfriend joined a gym and is working out again (he's by far the fitter of the two of us) so I'm going to wrangle one "couples" workout a week somehow. Although I'd like to take a moment to be a dick and point out that he joined Planet Fitness.

REAL FOOD: I'm not going to talk about nutrition because dealing with it makes me want to gnaw off both my hands, but I'm going to go back on a paleo-real-food-eating track, which seems to keep me from eating like an unsupervised four-year-old. I guess this means giving up tacos for a few weeks. Gah. Just kill me now.

TAUNTING: I am here to LIFT and I want to hear some smack talk to motivate me. I openly invite any and all Warriors including @Br0din, @Vincent Van Bro (nice new handle, dude), @Emerald_Dragonfly, @TiffanyD (fave warrior girl, yo!) @elvenengineer, and @Sam Ashen to come talk trash on my puny crossfit gains. Extra points given for humor. I wish @hermionegainser was still here. I miss that girl.

Motivational smack trash also invited from Rangers, obviously.

Best motivational takedown gets a mixtape of music I stole from @DarK_RaideR's various threads.

I'm done with the carrot. I AM HERE TO EMBRACE THE STICK.

Warriors... come out to plaaaaaaaayaaay....

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Hah! I beat all those tagged people to take the first comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hah! I beat all those tagged people to take the first comment.

#WINNING

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

I actually have nothing against crossfit (I think it's actually pretty awesome that so many people love it) - I just like to mess with Br0din (I mean...don't we all - it's kinda how we show that we are friends with him, right?)

But you did ask...and I hate to disappoint, so...

xfit-minute.jpg

On the positive...there is this:

06d0756fd1a695d2c910951c7062f3eb.jpg

• Like 3

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I actually have nothing against crossfit (I think it's actually pretty awesome that so many people love it) - I just like to mess with Br0din (I mean...don't we all - it's kinda how we show that we are friends with him, right?)

I completely forgot that BrOdin converted to teh Church of Crossfit. At last he found the True Faith...

I should tag @Gainsdalf the Whey for some smack talk, too

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

2 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

and @Sam Ashen to come talk trash

Where did my reputation for trash-talk come from?

Are you going to test Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift?  Do you also do Snatch and Clean and Jerk?

My boyfriend joined a gym and is working out again (he's by far the fitter of the two of us) so I'm going to wrangle one "couples" workout a week somehow. Although I'd like to take a moment to be a dick and point out that he joined Planet Fitness.

8b8b25253f1f698c401466fe2342b1d4--funny-

MEASURABLE:  Even my limited math faculties can determine what a 10% increase is. Better yet, there's a calculator in my phone.

The fact that everybody has a phone and every phone has a calculator makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

15 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Are you going to test Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift?  Do you also do Snatch and Clean and Jerk?

I'm going to do Squat, Deadlift, and Overhead press, plus the Sled. 

My snatch is pretty lame - I'm not fast under the bar, and it's one of those moves I can see leading to injury, so I've kind of dropped it from the rotation. It's also very competition-oriented, and I'm not headed to the Crossfit games anytime soon.

18 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

8b8b25253f1f698c401466fe2342b1d4--funny-

Three words: Free Pizza Friday.

20 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

The fact that everybody has a phone and every phone has a calculator makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Right? Back in my day you had one on a watch, like a proper nerd.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I'm gonna call you out on this one buddy. I have seen you with your phone, and I know it has a calculator on it. Granted, you may not need to use it, but it's there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm gonna call you out on this one buddy. I have seen you with your phone, and I know it has a calculator on it. Granted, you may not need to use it, but it's there.

I downloaded the hp48 app for it!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

12 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I downloaded the hp48 app for it!

oh, man. I need this.

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Wow, I never heard of that movie, but it looked so incredibly terrible that I had to learn more. I found out from good old Wikipedia, that they almost cast Tony Danza in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film)

Fun Movie Trivia: Michael Beck, the lead in The Warriors, was also the lead in Xanadu, another incredibly terrible movie. Only with roller skates.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

1 minute ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Seriously, how has this escaped everyone's attention?

I knew exactly how bad that sounded when I wrote it

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Following for all the obvious reasons. 

I't mostly for the stick embracing

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

10 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Fun Movie Trivia: Michael Beck, the lead in The Warriors, was also the lead in Xanadu, another incredibly terrible movie. Only with roller skates.

I do remember Xandadu. Embarassed to say, I thought it was cool when it came out. Possible mitigating factor: I was seven.

8 hours ago, honeybadger said:

And pal-anon support!

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 16-9-2017 at 6:12 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I AM HERE TO EMBRACE THE STICK.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor ofcourse you are gif

You can pair up with @T2sarahconnor

Hint:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor facesitter funny gif

On 16-9-2017 at 7:16 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I just like to mess with Br0din (I mean...don't we all

I heard they are thinking of turning it into an olympic sport as so many people or into it nowadays!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor everybody does it gif

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Seriously, how has this escaped everyone's attention?

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor unbelievable gif

9 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

If it was only as big as a carrot you should definately embrace the stick, or an electric one if needed.

I swear i posted Olaf before i read this!!!

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

This is too good for @mr_willes and @T2sarahconnor to miss

At last, my reputation is taking off!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor plane start crash gif

9 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

If it was only as big as a carrot you should definately embrace the stick, or an electric one if needed.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor big carrot gif

Thanx for the tag, @DarK_RaideR, this totally made my day!

Oow yeah, there were a few goals mentioned in the first post...

Crossfit yeah, lifting yeah. Following for that!

On 16-9-2017 at 6:12 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Motivational smack trash also invited from Rangers, obviously.

Trashtalk hell yeah!

But we need numbers first! 1RM's

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor drumroll please gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... a little odd in the head ...

On 9/17/2017 at 0:39 PM, honeybadger said:

NOTHING BUT STICK JOKES

22 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

because batteries can die in your time of need, amirite?

20 hours ago, TiffanyD said:

I am here! Just without power or water at the moment... More like going on a week actually, but still following now!

Arrgh, I forgot you were in Orlando. I hope your power is back soon!

If it's any consolation my sister fled Tampa to ride out the storm in... wait for it... Jacksonville. She was trapped there for days.

18 hours ago, Xena said:

I do remember Xandadu. Embarassed to say, I thought it was cool when it came out. Possible mitigating factor: I was seven.

I totally did too because ROLLER SKATES

13 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor unbelievable gif

It'll only get worse from here. And by worse I mean inappropriately sexual in the weirdest best possible way.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

13 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor drumroll please gif

Deadlift 1RM results! I did this yesterday and managed not to die. 

Warmup sets:

#90 for 8

#90 for 6

#110 for 6

#125 for 4

#135 for 2

#155 for 1

#165 for 1

Then I went for the big guns:

#175 for 1

#185 for 1

#195 for 1

maxing out at: 

#205 for 1

I probably could have pulled 215 but I would not have been able to control it on the way down, and supposedly your 1RM has to be controlled on the way down, you can't just drop it from the top. Which takes some of the fun out of it, really, but if those are the rules, fine. Be that way.

205 is probably not very impressive by Warrior standards but it's about 30 pounds higher than I would have expected, since my last low-rep PR was 135 for 8 reps and my usual is 115 for 20 reps (3 sets). I struggled some around 165-175 until I focused on setting my body really tight so my lower back didn't deflect as I came up, and got a bit lower at the beginning of the lift. Better minds than me can tell me if that is not good form.

*btw I messed up the math and started my warmup sets too high; I should have done that first set for 8 at 60 and gone up from there. Oh well. Also, all this is in pounds, not kg like the cool kids do.

So the Challenge goals so far are:

Current Sled #200 - 10% increase is 21 pounds, or 221 total

Current DL #205 - 10% increase is 20.5 pounds, or 225.5 total jesus that's terrifying what am i thinking

Will have squat totals tonight, as I'm on the way to the gym right now. I've been working in a coffee shop all day. Assuming I can get at the squat racks that is. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

24 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I probably could have pulled 215 but I would not have been able to control it on the way down, and supposedly your 1RM has to be controlled on the way down, you can't just drop it from the top. Which takes some of the fun out of it, really, but if those are the rules, fine. Be that way.

From what I understand of looking at videos, controlling on the way down is not the same as a negative rep on the way down.  It looks more like a controlled drop.  I have only been to one real PL meet, so did not see much of what got called based on a strict interpretation of the rules.

Usually, what I have seen is the weight coming down fast, but the lifter is still gripping the bar.  In a month or so, I might have a video of a deadlift again.

30 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

205 is probably not very impressive by Warrior standards but it's about 30 pounds higher than I would have expected, since my last low-rep PR was 135 for 8 reps and my usual is 115 for 20 reps (3 sets). I struggled some around 165-175 until I focused on setting my body really tight so my lower back didn't deflect as I came up, and got a bit lower at the beginning of the lift. Better minds than me can tell me if that is not good form.

FITY

I am not sure how you get to 235 pounds from 135 pounds for 8 reps.  I get 168.75 pounds.

Video helps! :D

33 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

*btw I messed up the math and started my warmup sets too high; I should have done that first set for 8 at 60 and gone up from there. Oh well. Also, all this is in pounds, not kg like the cool kids do.

You specified pounds correctly.  Otherwise I would have unloaded my favorite troll line. :D

I'm not sure where you start your warm-up sets, but you sure seem to do a lot of them!  I tend to start with a small set just under 50% and quarter and plate my way up.  So I go 225 pounds, 315 pounds, 365 pounds, 405 pounds and we are already at 80%!  It depends on what I am doing.

My current programming has 10 sets of 3 deadlifts, EMOM.

Some of my friends are calling me a Ranger!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP