VanGrrl57--Second 4-Week Challenge--Building Endurance by Walking in the Snow, Sleet, Hail, Rain, or Whatever.

VanGrrl57

Hello to all here!

We just had our first snow-fall up here at Yellowstone. YEP! I said snow. LOL! :D Up here in Canyon Village, (elevation: 7,918 feet) snow in July is not uncommon at all. As a result, quite a few roads are closed at the moment but in a day or two, it should be okay. I would show pics but haven't a clue how that works here. 

Food:

Still eating at the Employees Dining Room and the EDR manager seems to be committed to continuing to offer healthier food choices which is great. I do have the option of cooking food in my RV but I just find it's easier to eat at the EDR. 

Quiet/Meditation/Prayer: 

I am still continuing to attend Beginner Yoga classes but the instructor will be leaving as her seasonal contract will be up in three weeks. I'm hoping there's someone who can step in but who knows? I shall check out online Beginning Yoga classes/videos to see what I can do. I still plan on having at least 20-30 minutes of prayer/meditation time. 

Exercise:

Here is where "the rubber will meet the road" so to speak. I will continue to strength train but what I want to focus on more in this challenge is my endurance/stamina. I had a setback in the previous challenge by getting shin splints. I also still have trouble with altitude sickness at times. I also have high blood pressure so I have to have it checked once a week. Altitude sickness can elevate your blood pressure, too. Therefore, I will "listen to my old body" more than what I have been doing. I still plan on going on my 30-minute morning walks but I want to eventually get up to an hour or more so I plan on adding 5 minutes or so to my walks every 3-4 days. I also plan on walking more outdoors even though it's starting to snow up here. I went for my morning walk even though it was snowing and COLD this morning! I have got to get over my reticence about not wanting to walk outside if the weather is bad.

I hope it's okay for me to pretty much continue doing the same thing as my first challenge. I'm realizing that getting over illness/injuries takes longer than when I was younger. 

VanGrrl57 :D 

• Like 3

Following!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Very nice day! It got to 45 degrees here in Canyon Village. Roads are all back open so Shelby, myself, and some other friends were able to get out and go hike the North Rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River after lunch. Fun times were had by all. I even managed to sneak in 3 30-second HIIT intervals for Phase 1 of the mini-challenge. :D 

Before our aforementioned walk, Shelby and I went to Sunday Mass and had our respective quiet time/meditation/prayer time.

After the walk, I'm a bit sore but nothing important. I'm pretty tired so I should have no trouble sleeping tonight! Heck! Shelby is already zonked out! ROFL! Poor baby! Shelby is a permanent ranger here at Yellowstone and has been for 20 years. He's in charge of maintenance as well as road maintenance. Needless to say, it's been pretty busy for him and his crew getting roads plowed.

I'm gonna call it a day so have a great week everyone. 

VanGrrl57 :D 

• Like 1
On 9/17/2017 at 2:22 AM, VanGrrl57 said:

I hope it's okay for me to pretty much continue doing the same thing as my first challenge.

Heck yeah! You may not have noticed yet, but lots of us do pretty much the same thing EVERY challenge. If it works for you, that's great!

Most of my goals don't change that much. I have a few "oldies but goodies" that I tend to cycle through. My smaller goals tend to be more variable...I try different things for a little fun.

Your whole lifestyle sounds so interesting! Looking forward to following.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

23 hours ago, VanGrrl57 said:

I would show pics but haven't a clue how that works here. 

I found the easiest way to do this is just (get an account on imgur: optional) upload them, and put a link in your post, it will show the pic that way.

23 hours ago, VanGrrl57 said:

I had a setback in the previous challenge by getting shin splints.

Usually the advice given here is, slow down. In pace and in sessions. Just build it up gradually, give your body time to adapt to the changes.

The rest of the challenge seemed very solid, just build small habits and continue on doing so!

Now get those pics up as soon as possible, i'm really curious!

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

On 9/17/2017 at 7:22 AM, VanGrrl57 said:

I hope it's okay for me to pretty much continue doing the same thing as my first challenge. I'm realizing that getting over illness/injuries takes longer than when I was younger. 

Of course it is. A lot of us just roll the same goals on challenge to challenge with little tweaks. It makes it a great way to revise and refresh yourself when working on long term fitness goals. Oh and following along again :D

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Okay. Today was a rest day for me but I still had my quiet/meditation/prayer time. I am also attempting to upload images here after hearing about Imgur from people here. Please bear with me. :D  The first picture is the store where I work, the second one is a park sign mentioning places in Yellowstone, and the third one is of a bison munching on a shrub. LOL! *WARNING!* I'm still figuring out how this all works so forgive me for the pics being so big. 

Also, we have rain coming down right now but it will turn into snow around 9 pm or so. SIGH! All of Yellowstone will be affected and, supposedly. we are to get 4 to 8 inches of snow here in Canyon Village. I will try to take pictures of the snow tomorrow if I can after work. 

VanGrrl57 

zUw3DOT.jpg

oPc5pNY.jpg

E8agaIM.jpg

• Like 1

awwww, I want a "pet" bison!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Go to the top right of the page where your Username and little picture are.  Click on your name and a menu should drop down.  Click account settings.  Signature is on the left on the Account settings page

Also, if you want to "tag" someone to get their attention, place an @ symbol before their name. Example: @VanGrrl57

• Like 2

I am not ready for snow...

I know you have connection issues. I use the Yoga Studio app ($3/month) and you can download and save classes to your device so you don't always need to be connected.

Nice pics. I bought my binoculars at that store so I could look at the critters. That was before I learned most of them would just walk through your campsite :) I'm due for a trip back.

Your challenge looks good. It'll be fun to follow.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 9/18/2017 at 8:21 PM, Stribs said:

Go to the top right of the page where your Username and little picture are.  Click on your name and a menu should drop down.  Click account settings.  Signature is on the left on the Account settings page

Also, if you want to "tag" someone to get their attention, place an @ symbol before their name. Example: @VanGrrl57

Thank you, Stribs! 

On 9/18/2017 at 8:26 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I am not ready for snow...

I know you have connection issues. I use the Yoga Studio app ($3/month) and you can download and save classes to your device so you don't always need to be connected.

Nice pics. I bought my binoculars at that store so I could look at the critters. That was before I learned most of them would just walk through your campsite :) I'm due for a trip back.

Your challenge looks good. It'll be fun to follow.

SIGH! Yeah, I'm not crazy about the snow either. Thanks for the Yoga Studio idea. I shall check it out. The season ends for us at the Adventure store on November 6th. Everyone will be out of Canyon Village and the park by then except for the Mammoth Hot Springs store. That one stays open year-round. 

Okay. Here's a picture of Tom the Raven waiting to see if anyone would leave him any munchies. ROFL! The guests sit outside to eat and of course they drop stuff which attracts the ravens and other little animals. The snow had started to fall a little bit when I took the picture just outside the store where I work. I seem to be having a problem with other pictures of the snow that I wanted to post. If I can figure the problem out, I will post them. Those pictures were taken later in the day when there was more snow on the ground. 

A good day all-in-all. Quite busy with everyone coming in to buy gloves, hats, scarves, shoes, socks, etc. I did have my quiet time/prayer/meditation time for 30 minutes and got in a good 45-minute walk before work this morning. 

YI9jMAF.jpg

• Like 2

I shudder at the thought of snow this early in the year.  Also, you have the best pets ;)

• Haha 1

Okay, people! Here's a picture of me with the ends of my hair colored blue! A friend up here did it for me. ROFL! :D My daughter dared me to do it, so I did. She didn't think I would so it surprised the heck out of her. I love teasing my child! She's a great kid and I'm very proud of her, too. She's getting married November 28th and I will be back about a week before her wedding after we get the store shut down for the winter. I do miss South Dakota and I look forward to seeing my family and friends.

R9oDTW5.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry, I somehow missed your challenge. Catching up now. I love all the pictures. And I love your picture!  Sounds like you and your daughter have a great relationship.

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Well, it was a very snowy, sleet-y, rainy, melancholy kind of day. Very slow, too. I went into work and got sent home by 1 pm. LOL! By around 5 pm, it was just cloudy although still windy and cold.

Much as I didn't want to, I still went out for my walk. Of course, I felt better for having done it because it improved my mood which really sucked earlier today! Actually, I went for a morning walk for 30 minutes before work and then I went for another 30 minute walk in the late afternoon. Also managed some HIIT intervals to up my total to 10. Some I did yesterday and the rest today. Also did some bodyweight/strength training today in the employees rec hall/gym. Also got in my 30 minutes of quiet/prayer/meditation time which I really needed. As far as food goes, I skipped breakfast which I probably shouldn't have because I ate some junk food---a bag of Bugles which are my favorite type of chips and a Reese's Cup. SIGH! As far as lunch and dinner, I tried to eat as healthy as I could since there was someone else cooking instead of the EDR manager. I just stuck with fruit and salad bar for lunch and for dinner, I had pretty much the same thing as lunch. Oh well! It  is what it is.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry, I somehow missed your challenge. Catching up now. I love all the pictures. And I love your picture!  Sounds like you and your daughter have a great relationship.

Yes, we do. I raised Jennifer by myself after her father died. We were in Florida at the time which was where she and I were born. Her dad was from Indiana and although he was an American citizen, he was 100 percent Scottish. His parents were born in Edinburgh, Scotland but had moved to Indiana and became naturalized U.S. citizens about 2 years before he was born. 

• Like 1

Woot for walking in the sleet.That's Ranger tough. I like walking in the snow, am so-so about the rain, but really hate walking in sleet.

Sorry your husband died, but it sounds like you did a great job at raising your daughter. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Catching up after a busy week :) your pictures are really awesome!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Hello to all here. :D 

Just managed to get online for a bit before the Internet is "crashed" again. Anyway, roads (except for West entrance) are all closed. Skipped breakfast in the EDR so I went to the Canyon Lodge for breakfast after getting up---eggs, bacon, hashbrowns. Pretty good, too. :D I did get in a good walk for an hour and a half, too. Getting ready to go into West Yellowstone just to get out of the park. LOL! I'm also wanting to go to the Red Lotus which has great Chinese food! Been craving Chinese for a while now. :D I had my quiet/prayer/meditation time for 30 minutes although I can't make Yoga class today. I will try to do a beginning Yoga workout later. 

I am going to do my strength training later on today, and I'm going to sign off now as the Internet connection is going in and out. Have a great weekend, everyone!

• Like 3