VanGrrl57--Second 4-Week Challenge--Building Endurance by Walking in the Snow, Sleet, Hail, Rain, or Whatever.

VanGrrl57

I love all your pictures!!  And way to get your walks in even when it's miserable outside!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 9/17/2017 at 2:22 AM, VanGrrl57 said:

I hope it's okay for me to pretty much continue doing the same thing as my first challenge. I'm realizing that getting over illness/injuries takes longer than when I was younger. 

absolutely!!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Today has been glorious so far. :D I got in my quiet/prayer/meditation time which was great. I went for a 2 hour walk today and even though it's pretty cold, at least the wind died down which made it very nice. I walked out to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River again as it's one of my favorite places to go to. No strength training as today is a rest day.

Good news, too! Shelby texted me and told me all the roads are open now. YAY! I have a couple of co-workers who are Taiwanese and they have been wanting to go see Cody, Wyoming for a couple of weeks now before they have to go back home. It looks like all is clear about getting out of the East Entrance which is the shortest way to get to Cody. Therefore, we are going to Cody! :D There's a Buffalo Bill Cody Museum that is pretty cool, and there are a lot of little shops in downtown Cody that we are going to go and explore. Maybe if I can figure out what's wrong with my camera, I can take some pictures. SIGH! 

Have a great Sunday! 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, VanGrrl57 said:

I walked out to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River again as it's one of my favorite places to go to. No strength training as today is a rest day.

I'm once again jealous of where you live :)

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Hi to all here. :D

Sorry for not being able to get online and update what's going on. SIGH! We are having a lot of problems with Internet connectivity up here plus we have been pretty busy. We are systematically shutting down other stores and since where I work (Adventure Store in Canyon Village) is the last to close, well, we get all the inventory left over from those stores which are now closed for the season. Plus, it's starting to snow up here already which adds to the connectivity problem. It is what it is. :D All the college kids have left and gone back so there's only 25 of us left up here in Canyon Village. The big Canyon General Store will close October 8th which means that our store will be the only place for people to get something to eat up here. The Canyon Lodge will also close October 8th. 

I'm still eating at the Employees' Dining Room, so I'm able to choose healthier options which is good. I am keeping up with my quiet/prayer/meditation time although the lady who was teaching us beginning Yoga has left since her contract is up. I'm using an online option for beginners' Yoga that has an offline option since I have connectivity issues. Thanks Sloth! :D

It's been pretty tough at times to make myself get out and walk when it's been such goofy weather up here but I'm doing it. I did take last Friday and Saturday as rest days, though. I'm learning to pay attention to my old body. :D Even though it's colder in the mornings, that's when I go for my walks because I know full well that I won't want to go after working on my feet for 8 hours! LOL! I will also try to get caught up with what's going on with others here, too. I have attempted to do planks but it's not easy for me so I will add what I have done to the spreadsheet as well. :D *EDIT* I am unable to add my contribution to phase two of the mini challenge but I see that it has been met. :D On to phase 3, then!

I haven't been able to take very many pictures (my camera died and my cellphone leaves a lot to be desired quality-wise) and it's hard lately to go online to upload them to Imgur but I will as soon as I can. 

VanGrrl57 :D

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How was your week and Cody Wyoming?

It's been pretty busy (different store closures for the season and we get their leftover inventory! YIKES!) and Cody, Wyoming is a fun place to go. I have never been to a rodeo but was able to do so (it was the last rodeo of the season) and it was pretty cool. :D The Buffalo Bill Wild West Museum is also a cool place to go. I took some fellow co-workers (Taiwanese) with me and we all had fun. :D No pics as my camera is broken (it just died of old age, I guess! LOL!). I tried to take a few with my cellphone but the quality sucks and with the connectivity issues we are having up here, well, I will do the best I can.

• Like 3
On 9/27/2017 at 1:47 AM, mr_willes said:

Great pics!!!

Also this...

I'm dutch, are these what i think they are?

Yes, they are. :D At least, I think so! ROFL! The hashbrowns I had are basically like "shoestring potatoes" that have been fried to a golden brown and smothered with cheese. Probably not very healthy to have cheese on them but I'm a cheese fanatic and they tasted great, too! :D

• Like 1

Sounds like you're doing great!!!  Keep it up!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It sounds like things are going well. What's it like to live in a village of 25 people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's different, that's for sure! :D Since all the college kids have gone back, it's almost like a ghost town. The Canyon Lodge is still open although it will close October 8th. It is run by Xanterra, which is a concessionaire that has the contract for all the lodges and stand-alone dining places in Yellowstone. Since we don't interact with them at all, I'm not sure how many of them are still up here. All the Yellowstone General Stores are under contract to Delaware North which is the company I work for.

1 hour ago, Stribs said:

Sounds like you're doing great!!!  Keep it up!!

Thanks Stribs! :D

• Like 1

Well, on a positive note, the dress I bought for my daughter's wedding on November 28th is now too big! :D I tried it on and it fell off. It's a strapless dress. Needless to say, Shelby got a big kick out of it. :D However, he's bitching a bit since his tuxedo is a bit snug! ROFL!  He's been going with me on my walks here lately as a result. I should be able to get my dress taken in, though, in plenty of time for Jennifer's wedding. YAY! :D 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, VanGrrl57 said:

Well, on a positive note, the dress I bought for my daughter's wedding on November 28th is now too big! :D I tried it on and it fell off. It's a strapless dress. Needless to say, Shelby got a big kick out of it. :D However, he's bitching a bit since his tuxedo is a bit snug! ROFL!  He's been going with me on my walks here lately as a result. I should be able to get my dress taken in, though, in plenty of time for Jennifer's wedding. YAY! :D 

Woot!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hello to all here. :D 

Went to work but got off early as it's very slow. That's fine with me! :D I met up with Shelby shortly after as he also got done early so he took me to some pretty cool places like Artist Point, Mud Volcano, Sulphur Cauldron, and Sheep Eaters Cliff. I had been to some of them before but where he took me, well, only rangers on horseback get to see these places. Needless to say, my butt and thighs hurt but I'll be fine. ROFL! :D All-in-all, it was about 6 miles so that's good. Sore butt/thighs notwithstanding, it was a lot of fun. It's been quite a while since I've been on horseback. It's also been a while since I took care of horses so I think I pretty much met my exercise/strength training goals today as did Shelby. Anyway, we are back home so we are getting cleaned up to go to West Yellowstone and eat Chinese. He likes the Red Lotus as much as I do, YUM! :D I did get in my quiet/prayer/meditation time today as well. 

Have a great evening, everyone! 

• Like 3

Clothes falling off is not a bad problem to have!! Great job!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Hello to all here!

Well, today was very SLOW up here in Canyon Village. Since I was the only retail cashier, I worked the entire day. LOL! That's fine, though. I'm pretty sore from yesterday's horseback riding excursion so I took today as a rest day and, anyway, it's really bad outside with windy conditions as well as sleet/snow mix. The Chinese food Shelby and got last night was awesome so we ordered some to take home and we just ate it for supper. :D I did have my quiet/prayer/mediation time, though.  Anyway, I'm super relaxed so I think I'm turning in early so goodnight. :D 

• Like 3
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, VanGrrl57 said:

Went to work but got off early as it's very slow. That's fine with me! :D I met up with Shelby shortly after as he also got done early so he took me to some pretty cool places like Artist Point, Mud Volcano, Sulphur Cauldron, and Sheep Eaters Cliff. I had been to some of them before but where he took me, well, only rangers on horseback get to see these places. Needless to say, my butt and thighs hurt but I'll be fine. ROFL! :D All-in-all, it was about 6 miles so that's good. Sore butt/thighs notwithstanding, it was a lot of fun. It's been quite a while since I've been on horseback. It's also been a while since I took care of horses so I think I pretty much met my exercise/strength training goals today as did Shelby. Anyway, we are back home so we are getting cleaned up to go to West Yellowstone and eat Chinese. He likes the Red Lotus as much as I do, YUM! :D I did get in my quiet/prayer/meditation time today as well. 

Have a great evening, everyone! 

Very worth any soreness. Sounds like a great day.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi to all here. :D

Well, the big Canyon General Store will close today. The fountain/grill area in that store closed yesterday, so all of us at the Adventure store will get swamped today and especially so for our little fountain area. We will be the only place to get anything to eat in Canyon Village. YIKES! Last year about this time, our store sold over 400 hotdogs/brats. WHOA! That's a lot of hotdogs/brats! At least, I'm off work today and tomorrow. LOL! :D  Anyway, Shelby and I are going to get out of Dodge so to speak. We plan on going to Mass at West Yellowstone, then we are taking off for Bozeman, Montana to go to the Bozeman Spa and Hot Springs for a relaxing time on our days off. Come November 8th, he's gonna be busy shutting down the park along with the roads with his crew so this will be a nice little getaway for him (and me!). I'm leaving Yellowstone November 7th to head back to South Dakota to stay with my daughter. Shelby will be there about a week before my daughter's wedding on the 28th, so we will spend time with friends and family, then head back to Gardiner, Montana to pretty much "hunker down" for the winter. Shelby has a house there in Gardiner. Since he's a permanent ranger, he gets to see the park in winter when the only way to get around is by snowmobile or by those tour buses set up for winter travel. It's an interesting perspective to see the park in all its winter glory. So pristine and beautiful! :D  After Mass and once we arrive at the resort in Bozeman, we plan on doing some exploring in the area as well as get our exercise time in since the spa has a fitness room. So, we will be getting in our quiet/prayer/meditation time as well as meet our respective exercise goals for today.

Anyway, it's time to go so I wish all here a blessed day. :D

• Like 4

We had a wonderful, relaxing time. I highly recommend the Bozeman Spa and Hot Springs as a place to stay and relax if you ever come up here. :D We got back to Canyon Village earlier and with the big Canyon General Store all boarded up for the winter and everyone gone, well, there's only 9 of us up here now. It's so quiet and eerie, too! Of course, there's still guests coming up here and it's busier than hell in the store from what everyone has been telling me. Since I have Sunday and Monday off, I will find out tomorrow just how busy it is. The fountain/grill is doing a brisk business since we are the only place to eat up here. ROFL! I am going to try to take some pictures of the boarded-up store as well as the Canyon Lodge here shortly. It's pretty cold and windy outside--only 22 degrees right now. With the wind chill factor, it feels like 12 degrees or less! YIKES! I had my quiet/prayer/meditation time and I even got in 30 knee pushups for the mini challenge! YAY! Since it was so cold and windy, I didn't go for a walk outside but, instead, used my Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVDs and walked for 2 miles. I also did my strength training. We are setting up our little EDR since the big EDR closed for the winter, so we are having sandwiches, chips, fruit, etc for lunch and dinner today. Tomorrow our EDR will be fully operational. :D 

Okay! Gonna go outside and see if I can get some pictures. Be back later! :D 

• Like 3
On 9/27/2017 at 3:47 AM, mr_willes said:

I'm dutch, are these what i think they are?

I'm pretty sure that crispy golden shoestring potatoes is not entirely what he was thinking. But I could be wrong.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:40 PM, VanGrrl57 said:

You'll look great! And I love the blue hair a few posts back. It's really cute....you should do the tips some fun color again :-)

On 10/3/2017 at 6:59 PM, VanGrrl57 said:

I met up with Shelby shortly after as he also got done early so he took me to some pretty cool places like Artist Point, Mud Volcano, Sulphur Cauldron, and Sheep Eaters Cliff. I had been to some of them before but where he took me, well, only rangers on horseback get to see these places. Needless to say, my butt and thighs hurt but I'll be fine. ROFL! :D All-in-all, it was about 6 miles so that's good. Sore butt/thighs notwithstanding, it was a lot of fun. It's been quite a while since I've been on horseback. It's also been a while since I took care of horses so I think I pretty much met my exercise/strength training goals today as did Shelby.

So cool! And I loved hearing about the Bozeman spa. I'm hoping to get out to Bozeman for a race sometime in the next few years.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

That spa sounds lovely. thanks for the pictures. It looks so quiet there. I bet in the winter Shelby feels like he has his own private campground:)

• Like 1

Just now, Elastigirl said:

That spa sounds lovely. thanks for the pictures. It looks so quiet there. I bet in the winter Shelby feels like he has his own private campground:)

Pretty much. He's in charge of the roads in/out of the park in addition to other duties, so after all the employees leave, they simply stop plowing the roads for the winter. The only way around is by snowmobile, snow-cat, etc. There are winter tours which make for some interesting times, too. :D It can get to you because of all the snow but it's so beautiful! I am hoping to get some great pictures of the winter season in Yellowstone when I go back after my daughter's wedding. 

• Like 2