Hi, guys :) I’m here to try this thing again. Last challenge didn’t really go so well. :P I didn’t meet any of my goals. I’m hoping this one will go better, because time has magically built itself into my schedule to Do The Things. I’m not even joking - I had given up on ever having time for this stuff, but now suddenly I do have the time - it’s just how things have worked out. A lot of self-improvement is on the road ahead.

Last weekend (Sept 8-10) I went to a retreat for the women at my church, and it was fantastic. I feel like this is the first breakthrough I’ve had in a while, for progressing in my faith and getting out of this pit of despair I’ve found myself in. And I also started rereading a book by Kay Arthur called As Silver Refined, which is really great and has already addressed some of my problems head-on. So it got me thinking about refining myself, not just spiritually, but in other ways, too. I want to make as much headway as I can before I move away to the mystical land of Graduate School next summer. Living alone + pit of despair + unhealthy habits = not good! 

Due to the fact that I don’t have my own car, and so must be dropped off on campus according to other peoples’ schedules, I now have a whole hour before work every day during which I can Do The Thing. I also have some time on a couple afternoons during which I can Also Do The Thing. So, here are my goals this time around to get started on the road to being a refined human being and a refined child of God.

Spiritual Refinement: Use that hour in the mornings to do some kind of study.
This could look like meditating on a piece of scripture, reading some more of As Silver Refined, or working through a discipleship workbook that an older woman at church has offered to study with me. (I’m being discipled, guys! Cool? Weird? This has never happened to me before.)
This will be Monday-Thursday mornings, and Friday morning I meet with the lady from church to discuss what I learned throughout the week.

Strength Refinement: Excercise 3x/week. Use that hour in the afternoons to get my booty back in the gym!
I won’t have long, but it will certainly be long enough to do a thoroughly exhausting bodyweight circuit or some such. Plus, I’ll have to boogie back to the main section of campus to get picked up by my awesome mama - cardio!
This will be Tuesday and Thursday afternoons; and I have Fridays off this semester so I can do a third workout on that day. The goal is 2 bodyweight workouts and one cardio-type thing.

Sustenance Refinement: Track macros 2 days per week. Don’t buy stupid snacks from school.
Still trying to get back on that paleo/primal bandwagon. It worked so well for me when I first started out! I don’t know why I lost steam. I just have to put my mind to it once more. My portion sizes could use some work. Also, bring more healthy snacks from home when I go to school. 
Tracking days: I dunno yet. Maybe Monday and Thursday?
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again!

Hi :panda:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, my plans already have to be modified! Tuesday this week I'm not gonna be able to use that hour to go to the gym... my classmate and I were working on our quantum mechanics homework today and its horrible (3.5 hours and still less than halfway done), and Tuesday afternoon is about the only time this week when we can work on it together. So I'll do a bodyweight something-or-other once I get home, either Monday or Tuesday.

Food is also gonna be a little crazy this week, since I'm trying to get rid of some (healthy) stuff from the freezer but will need to supplement it with leftovers from whatever mom cooks, which I already know is gonna be spaghetti (cos she told me :) ). Not the worst I could do, but not paleo either. That's okay though. I'll just watch my portion sizes, and then next week I can get on that paleo wagon. 

Speaking of food, I need to cook some things... so I have stuff to eat tomorrow xD I'm trying to think of the lowest-effort way to prepare everything, and I think instead of baking egg-muffins, I'll boil the eggs, and then chop them up and mix them with my fixin's (this week: black beans), a little olive oil and some spices maybe, have a weird little breakfast egg salad thing?? It sounds really tasty in my head xD we'll see how it goes!

• Like 5

I'm so glad that the retreat encouraged you. I love how you are viewing that hour at campus as time you have been given, and have made such great plans. Great Ranger adaptability on week 1, switching to bodyweight workout when needed, and just watching portions when you can't do Paleo. It's so easy to get in the trap of "my plans didn't work, so I just need to scrap everything" instead of adapting and doing the best you can with what you have. Now, go smash week one!

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

OH HAI CAN I FOLLOW YOUR THREAD

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

There is so much goodness in this thread, @Shadri!! I'm so excited to follow along - how awesome that you're being mentored, that you have some extra time to focus on growth, that you're studying quantum mechanics(!!!), and that you're preparing for grad school! So many exciting things!!!

OMG-thats-so-exciting-GIF.gif

I'm so happy to follow along!! And I pray that God would MASSIVELY bless this challenge and your efforts and desire to grow!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Hello friend! I'm so glad to see you around again. I'm glad your retreat encouraged you :) I hope things go well with you and if you ever need someone to talk to, you're always welcome to talk to me! <3

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Midnight & The Three Dumbigos: Jedi's UA High Holiday Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50

On September 17, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

I'm so glad that the retreat encouraged you. I love how you are viewing that hour at campus as time you have been given, and have made such great plans. Great Ranger adaptability on week 1, switching to bodyweight workout when needed, and just watching portions when you can't do Paleo. It's so easy to get in the trap of "my plans didn't work, so I just need to scrap everything" instead of adapting and doing the best you can with what you have. Now, go smash week one!

I'm really glad too - I think I was kinda nearing the end of my rope. I'm so tired of being in this dumb sad pit. 

Yeah, I really do feel like God gave me this time - I had truly just about given up having time for all this stuff this semester, but then POOF - I have time for it now.

RAAAH SHADRI SMASH

23 hours ago, rowan said:

OH HAI CAN I FOLLOW YOUR THREAD

OHAIIIII

21 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

There is so much goodness in this thread, @Shadri!! I'm so excited to follow along - how awesome that you're being mentored, that you have some extra time to focus on growth, that you're studying quantum mechanics(!!!), and that you're preparing for grad school! So many exciting things!!!

OMG-thats-so-exciting-GIF.gif

I'm so happy to follow along!! And I pray that God would MASSIVELY bless this challenge and your efforts and desire to grow!!

^_^ Aah thank you so much!! Yeah, it's easy to get bogged down in the "holy carp I have to do SOMANYTHINGS" but it really is an exciting time of life! Thanks for helping me step back and see that :)

(Quantum mechanics might sound cool, but it actually springs straight from the deepest pits of hell for the sole purpose of torturing students xD it's so difficult and TEDIOUS oh my goodness)

13 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Hello friend! I'm so glad to see you around again. I'm glad your retreat encouraged you :) I hope things go well with you and if you ever need someone to talk to, you're always welcome to talk to me! <3

Hey girlie :) thank you <3 right back atcha!

1 hour ago, maegs said:

Lookit you, being all adaptable an stuff :P Good job planning out how to make the best of what  you have 

Thanks! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Day 1.1

Did the morning thing! Read part of chapter 2 in As Silver Refined. [1/5]

Did the food tracking thing! [1/2]

- By my best estimates, I managed to stay under my macros today, but I think I may have put in the wrong thing for the spaghetti stuff. I was trying to find the recipe online, but I don't think MyFitnessPal found the right one. Idk.

- In the afternoon, I checked my food log, and seeing that I still had some room in my calories and carbs, I justified the purchase of an apple fritter. O.O Bad Shadri! On day one, already buying dumb snacks! Tomorrow I will try again. I have less down time on campus though, so hopefully that will help.

- I forgot to boil eggs yesterday, so this morning I threw all my ingredients in a bowl and did MICROWAVE EGGS EW but they actually weren't bad, like I remembered microwave eggs being. :P I might just do that now... cos that's like 5 minutes. I can do 5 minutes!

I'll be doing a bodyweight workout once I get home from school tomorrow. Woop!

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Shadri said:

- I forgot to boil eggs yesterday, so this morning I threw all my ingredients in a bowl and did MICROWAVE EGGS EW but they actually weren't bad, like I remembered microwave eggs being. :P I might just do that now... cos that's like 5 minutes. I can do 5 minutes!

I feel like microwave eggs are better when you put things in them to disguise the microwave flavor added to them.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Midnight & The Three Dumbigos: Jedi's UA High Holiday Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50

MICROWAVE EGGS! Those used to SAVE ME at my old job- whisk in a little milkfrom the coffee station and you're golden!

• Like 2

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

15 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I feel like microwave eggs are better when you put things in them to disguise the microwave flavor added to them.

Definitely xD I'm adding black beans, cheese, and hot sauce to mine :P

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My problem with quantum mechanics is that the wrenches are always so small.

Ha! I bet you'd appreciate the cover of the classical mechanics book I used this past spring:

51Q0OQp7ScL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ETA: And here's another book of his that came up in the google image search... Mr. Taylor is one snarky man:

41K15CZZJ7L._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

13 hours ago, rowan said:

MICROWAVE EGGS! Those used to SAVE ME at my old job- whisk in a little milkfrom the coffee station and you're golden!

Nice! I do mine at home, but same principle! It's so quick and easy and you can't even say breakfast bars or whatever are that much easier cos they're so damn easy. :P 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Day 1.2 (Tuesday)

~ Read through some psalms before work this morning. [2/5]

~ Ate fairly healthy and/or reasonable portion sizes, except for a bunch of sweet potato fries (the restaurant on campus makes the best I've ever had, and they're pretty cheap), and some macaroni & cheese with dinner (but I didn't go overboard :) ). Knowing I probably went over carbs today, I kept excess snacking to a minimum. No tracking in MFP today. [1/2]

~ Did some bodyweight stuff even though I Really Didn't Want To! I did 4 rounds of 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 jack-knife presses (think: infant version of handstand pushups), 10 leg raises while laying on my back (holding each lift for 2 seconds). It wasn't much, but my limbs were jello-y afterwards and I was sweating, so I guess that means I did something right. I was tempted to feel bad because this kind of thing used to be easy for me; but honestly I'm so busy nowadays that I can't afford to waste time pitying myself. Yeah, I'm out of shape, but if I keep working hard, I will get back IN shape, and that's the important part. [1/3]

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yes yes! Incremental work is the work that sticks! And good on you for doing it even through the black fog of NOT WANTING TO

• Like 2

YESSSSSSSS! So glad you're back, too :) 

Mermaid-1.png

Wolf

• Thanks 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Hey Shadri! Following along again.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On September 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM, rowan said:

Yes yes! Incremental work is the work that sticks! And good on you for doing it even through the black fog of NOT WANTING TO

YESSS

On September 20, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Wild Wolf said:

YESSSSSSSS! So glad you're back, too :) 

Mermaid-1.png

Wolf

Hi! ^_^

On September 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Hey Shadri! Following along again.

Hello! :panda:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Day 1.3 (Wednesday)

- Read my Bible before work. [3/5]

- Ate... reasonably healthy, iirc? Wednesday is my Bible study/potluck with my church, and I didn't overstuff myself, so that's good.

Day 1.4 (Thursday)

- Read the first little section of the workbook my mentor ordered for me. [4/5]

- Ate mostly good-ish except for an apple fritter (they're so cheap and so gooooood ugh why)

- Went to the gym! Did the same routine as Tuesday, except instead of leg lifts I did a 30-second plank. I made it through 4 sets. [2/3]

Today, Day 1.5 (Friday)

- Met with my mentor, discussed our weeks and what we have learned in our studies. [5/5]

- Have eaten fairly not-terribly :P though I also haven't eaten very much. We don't have much snack-type food at the house anymore, which is great except that I'm hungry and too lazy to cook. xD

- I'm supposed to do a cardio thing this week. I'll either do it tonight or tomorrow sometime. I'm thinking jump-rope intervals.

• Like 4

Oooh jump ropes! That most portable and formidable of workout tools! How many skips in a row can you do? (I usually trip myself after 20 or so)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shadri said:

YESSS

Hi! ^_^

Hello! :panda:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Day 1.3 (Wednesday)

- Read my Bible before work. [3/5]

- Ate... reasonably healthy, iirc? Wednesday is my Bible study/potluck with my church, and I didn't overstuff myself, so that's good.

Day 1.4 (Thursday)

- Read the first little section of the workbook my mentor ordered for me. [4/5]

- Ate mostly good-ish except for an apple fritter (they're so cheap and so gooooood ugh why)

- Went to the gym! Did the same routine as Tuesday, except instead of leg lifts I did a 30-second plank. I made it through 4 sets. [2/3]

Today, Day 1.5 (Friday)

- Met with my mentor, discussed our weeks and what we have learned in our studies. [5/5]

- Have eaten fairly not-terribly :P though I also haven't eaten very much. We don't have much snack-type food at the house anymore, which is great except that I'm hungry and too lazy to cook. xD

- I'm supposed to do a cardio thing this week. I'll either do it tonight or tomorrow sometime. I'm thinking jump-rope intervals.

Try just eating half the apple fritter.........and bring the rest to meeeeee. :P 

• Like 1

Level -20 Zombie Princess

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Spoiler

On 9/22/2017 at 3:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

Nice job on week 1! I like jump rope intervals for cardio. Just seems like a quick easy way to get it done

I like jump rope intervals too - such a thorough workout in so little time! The rope always ends up getting stuck on my feet repeatedly, so it can get pretty aggravating over the course of the workout xD

17 hours ago, rowan said:

Oooh jump ropes! That most portable and formidable of workout tools! How many skips in a row can you do? (I usually trip myself after 20 or so)

I am not very good at jump roping xD haha. Especially once i get tired. I can never get many skips in a row. 

7 hours ago, Rinna said:

Try just eating half the apple fritter.........and bring the rest to meeeeee. :P 

xD keep your monkey mouth away from my fritters! Hahaha! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I did my jump rope circuit today, even though i really didn't want to. Win! So that means that the only thing i didn't do for week one was two days of food tracking - i only did one day. Pretty good start to the challenge, i would say!

I finally remembered to put my chicken out to thaw, so tomorrow i can cook those veggies in the freezer like i keep saying i will. Tomorrow is also grocery shopping day, so i can get stuff for the week's breakfasts, snacks, etc. 

This week i am adding an extra challenge quest: NO APPLE FRITTERS. ;)

• Like 2
On 9/23/2017 at 6:44 PM, Shadri said:

This week i am adding an extra challenge quest: NO APPLE FRITTERS. ;)

How's that going?? :D

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Well, I didn't buy any apple fritters, but i bought other junky food instead xD oops. It was a weirdly hard week. The weather was grey and dismal until this morning, and usually I love that kind of weather, but this week it really affected me. I didn't do any workouts. I did my Bible reading most days, but my head was a million other places. I didn't eat very healthily, as I already implied - I fell victim to the allure of the cafe (which is but a short walk from my workplace) too many times.

This week will be better, though. The sun came out this morning, and I'm already feeling better. I'm going grocery shopping later today, and I'm going to make sure to get snacks I'm actually interested in eating (kinda tired of peanuts). Putting a can of La Croix in my lunchbox usually helps curb my desire for frilly drinks because it *seems*  like a fancy treat like a soda , so this week i will find a way to curb my desire for fancy snacks, too, by getting healthy snacks that seem fancy and alluring. :P I'm thinking maybe a nice trail mix or something. Maybe some hummus to go with my veggies.  

• Like 4

Ooh, nice snacking strategy! What do you usually get at the cafe, is it snacks? 

Sorry to hear the weather was getting you down - I hope that when the grey skies return they will be more of a cozy sweaters drinking tea indoors variety.

Happy week 3!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rowan said:

Ooh, nice snacking strategy! What do you usually get at the cafe, is it snacks? 

Sorry to hear the weather was getting you down - I hope that when the grey skies return they will be more of a cozy sweaters drinking tea indoors variety.

Happy week 3!

Yep, especially pastries... they have such good pastries. A lot of the time I am tempted by snacks because I'm bored by my own snacks, so this week I got pistachios instead of peanuts, and some garlic hummus to go with my veggies. 

I hope so too! It's really unusual for the weather to get me down like this. I think perhaps 

I was already slightly off-kilter this week, so it affected me more than it would have.  (We watched a movie called Ex Machina in one of my classes, and it was REALLY GOOD but there were a few scenes that really screwed with my brain and my mental state, and from there it's easy for anything else to drag me down further.)

Yay week 3!

• Like 1