suzyQlou, biking bandit

suzyQlou

I'm back to business after taking a challenge off, and this time I'm bringing my bike along.

Goal 1:  Go biking instead of running for cardio MWF.

Goal 2:  Keep up the strength workouts Tues, Thurs, and one day over the weekend.

Goal 3:  Restaurant prizes.  Earn bling for my bike for every five boxes of leftovers I bring home with me.

One-time Goal:  Over the course of this challenge, get my bike to the shop for a tuneup.

chicken-on-bike1.jpg

Goal 1:  Go biking instead of running for cardio MWF.

I ran a 5k at the end of my last challenge, and I think I'm ready to move on.  When my legs feel healthy enough to run, I still seem to have trouble with my knees.  So, I'm going to adjust my attitude.  Running isn't the ONLY way to get exercise.  I love my bike.  I'm going to use it!

Goal 2:  Keep up the strength workouts Tues, Thurs, and one day over the weekend.

Nothing to explain here.  I just need to do it.

Goal 3:  Restaurant prizes.  Earn bling for my bike for every five boxes of leftovers I bring home with me.

Somehow, I'm still subscribed to the clean plate club when eating out.  It's silly, but true.  So I've decided to bribe myself with prizes.  I'm going to make a big deal of stopping eating at restaurants.  I will make my kids crazy by playing a jaunty clip of Queen's Bicycle Race song when I stop eating, and add a count to a bicycle bling counter on my phone.  Every five boxes of leftovers earns me bling.  The list of bling may grow over time, but right now it includes: iphone holder, basket, lights.

One-time Goal:  Over the course of this challenge, get my bike to the shop for a tuneup.

My bike has this handy "feature" right now.  Most bikes have a manual transmission, but mine is automatic.  I don't even have to shift the gears when going up a hill.  My bike automatically does it for me.  *cough* *cough*  This really means that the gears need to be fixed up.  I love my bike!  I don't know how it managed to age 20 years.

It feels good to be back!

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back. I'll be following along again.

Good to see you!

I couldn't resist a Simpsons themed mini challenge, so I did my strength workout (push-ups and dips) HIIT style.  This may be the LAST time I try this.  I usually do three sets of each exercise.  Well...30 seconds is a much harder set than my wimpy 10 reps.  Lets just say it didn't take long until I need to to switch to modified push-ups.  But, when I stop complaining, I have to admit it felt really helpful.  I had less excuses, and more of a workout.  Go, Rangers!

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

When my husband was having knee issues, I researched exercises that would help, biking was on the top of the list. Biking is much easier on your joints than running.

I love the idea of rewarding yourself for bringing home leftovers

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

23 hours ago, Terra said:

SO wonderful to see you back with another challenge!!!  I like the adjustment from running to biking.  

I remember your story when you transitioned from running to other activities.  And now you are rocking BJJ like a master.  I only hope I can keep a nice positive attitude like you did!

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

When my husband was having knee issues, I researched exercises that would help, biking was on the top of the list. Biking is much easier on your joints than running.

I love the idea of rewarding yourself for bringing home leftovers

Yep.  I've seen biking and swimming as good exercises for bad knees.  The tricky part is re-framing my fitness journey.  I'm trying not to feel like a quitter...and more like an adapter.

Fun bike ride today.  I discovered a new little playground nearby.  Two wheels gets me just a few miles farther away than running.  It feels like an adventure :) 

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Gleeful about HIIT for the mini challenge.  Even with DOMS from Monday, I managed more push ups and dips...then added squats and lunges.  Nothing like a good panic in Springfield to get me motivated!

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 9/21/2017 at 10:06 AM, Salinger said:

Hey Suzy :) hope you are well, good to see you back! xx

Hi Salinger!  Good to see you.  So much going on over in your thread I gotta go catch up.

The first week was a good one.  I hit my major goal - the biking.  I am really enjoying getting out for a ride on cardio days.  I will need to plot some new routes, though.  The township just closed a pedestrian bridge in my neighborhood, so it will be harder to get places.  It's a minor miracle (and yes, I do believe in miracles) that I just switched from jogging to biking.  Now I still have options for nice exercise routes because I can go further on wheels than on foot.

Strength is mostly good.  The mini has kept me in line and motivated.  I still struggle with that weekend workout, though.  Consistently hitting two workouts a week is not the end of the world.

Leftovers from restaurants is a wash.  I spent the weekend camping with the boy scouts, so we didn't actually visit restaurants this week.  I didn't overeat at restaurants, but I also didn't earn points for my prizes yet.

Hoping for another good week this week.  It's off to a good start with a bike ride yesterday, and new planks in the strength workout today.

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Found you!!! Following along of course!! 

Good job listening to your body and switching things up. 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

On 9/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, Elastigirl said:

Nice work on week 1 !

Thanks!

On 9/26/2017 at 8:20 PM, honeybadger said:

Found you!!! Following along of course!! 

Good job listening to your body and switching things up. 

Ha!  Sometimes I really don't like what my body is saying!  But yeah, gotta listen from time to time.

On 9/27/2017 at 12:19 PM, Salinger said:

Great week Suzy, keep it up :D x

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How did week 2 go?

Thanks for checking in.

Week 2 was a decent week.  I"m on track with the biking which is the most important thing to me.  The bridge closure is sucking up my time.  We're trying to get the neighbors together to help save the bridge...and I spent some of my workout time talking to neighbors instead of exercising.  I am also spending my online time dealing with the bridge instead of getting to spend it here.  Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your good intentions?

I am happy to report I earned my first point for bringing leftovers home from a restaurant.  Since I took leftovers home from a restaurant on Sunday, I get a point towards buying bling for my bike.  I'm kind of in debt already.  I am already using a new iphone mount on my bike.  I sneaked it ahead of time since I lack pockets...and really like the ease of tracking workouts through the mapmyrun app.

I spent another weekend camping (this time with the cub scout pack instead of boy scout troop) so my family has once again been eating out less.  That is healthier, but it is harder to earn points for leftovers when I don't actually eat at a restaurant.  This coming week will give me more opportunities to do good!

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 10/2/2017 at 12:52 PM, Salinger said:

Hope you and your neighbours can save the bridge Suzy!! And can we get a photo of your bike some time? :)

I need to pump my tyres up, should do it tomorrow if i get round to it!!

Hope youre well x

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope things are ok Suzy x

Thanks, Salinger.  Things are good.  Here's a photo I found from our last family bike trip.  I am thinking my bike needs a name now that we are getting to be such good friends.

1XcGl2km.jpg

On 10/2/2017 at 4:34 PM, Terra said:

I think you might should consider earning points when you don't go out to eat at all.  In the long run its healthier to cook your own food than to eat out, right?   What about a point or two for every 4 to 7  day stretch when you don't even go to a restaurant???  

I love the way you think, Terra!  Yes.  I absolutely need to be able to earn points by AVOIDING restaurants in addition to the leftovers.  I hereby modify my system to give me a point a week if I don't actually eat out.  Honestly, this challenge has been weird.  Usually, my family does eat out over the weekend.  My cooking contract only covers dinners M-F :barbershop_quartet_

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How did the biking and points for leftover go in week 3?

Challenge goals are going great!  I am especially proud of more leftovers yesterday.  It's funny how turning leftovers into something GOOD makes it feel better.  Biking has been fun - I found two more routes to rotate into my week to mix things up a bit.

Life has thrown me a whammy this week, though.  On the one hand I might have more time to check in on challenges...on the other hand I need to find a new job.  See full sob story below.

Spoiler

So, we had another round of layoffs at work on Thursday.  This time, I was "affected" and my position was eliminated.  I have mixed feelings about the whole deal.  For twelve years, I've had the luxury of working from home, part time, for the company I have a long history with.  They were my first real job out of college, and the place where I met my husband.  He and I were computer programmers together along with a bunch of other recent college grads.  I left the company for a while, but then came back 16 years ago.

Since I went part time, my roll had shifted from a very technical one to more of a support/consultant roll.  Many times, I missed the technical work...but I never missed working full time in an office.  I had the flexibilty to balance my family life very easily with work life.

So, now I have to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.  I'd like to go back to programming, but I know that when I do I will need to work full time in an office.  My kids are technically old enough to babysit themselves while I work.  Un-technically, I like to be around.  So, I have a 32 week vacation to figure out what I want to do...and do it.  I am seeing many career-based challenges in my near future!

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Glad the mini calls for push ups this week.  I really didn't feel like exercising this morning, but the extra push for push ups helped me get it done.

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 10/12/2017 at 11:17 AM, Salinger said:

Cool bike!! Mine is called Marshal Fox hahahahah

Is that you in the photo? You look lovely :)

Have an amazing day xx

I just knew that naming bikes was a good idea!  I like the name "Marshal Fox" but I'm afraid it must be a clever reference to someone that I've not heard of.  If so, clue in the clueless!!!  Thanks for the lovely complement..yes, that's me in the bike photo.  I rock mom-fashion with gusto :)

Wrapping up the challenge with good news.  I managed to get my bike into the shop on Friday, so I feel like I succeeded!  This morning, I borrowed my husband's bike.  His gears actually work...and I'm looking forward to getting my own bike back in the next few days.

I feel like the biking was fantastic this challenge.  It kept me moving in the fresh air.  I did have to substitute a rainy days with cardio on the elliptical.  That's ok with me.  I struggle with the weekend strength workouts...and I think I'm going to make them extra credit next challenge.  Twice a week is not terrible, and it is more realistic.

I am still in debt for the leftover points.  I earned two points this month for bringing home restaurant leftovers, and then added two more for the weeks I didn't even eat in a restaurant.  The progress I feel is in attitude...I look forward to taking a box home with me instead of feeling like I'm wasting food or being a burden for the wait staff.  But...I have bought three bike prizes already, and that's supposed to cost me 15 points.  A phone mount, kickstand, and ear warmers that fit under my helmet.  Guess I better keep this goal next time!

One minor fitness woe is at volleyball.  Now that I switched from running to biking, I feel like my legs are taking an even bigger beating when I jump and move at volleyball.  I've added some extra stretching, but would really hate to slow down on the court.  I feel like the move from foot to bike was a good one, but I'm not willing to compromise on playing volleyball yet.  I only play rec ball once a week...and there are plenty of guys older than me there.  I should be able to keep up!

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger