Daryl of Barbaria: Variety is the Spice of Life (and the Barbarian Way)

Daryl of Barbaria

While I consider the last challenge a success (at very least a solid "B" grade), I realized something: I need variety. Routine became...too routine. The constant parkour drilling was good, but both my mind and body cried out for a little something else to mix things up. My body ached for the yoga routine I once had but let slip over the summer. My Barbarian Mind cried out for something a bit martial-artsy. I kept my daily meditation routine through the whole process, so that was good. But the bottom line is I need to mix things up a bit.

In the spirit of variety, I don't have a very specific blueprint for this challenge. I don't have specific SMART goals, as is customary for my usual NF challenge. I suppose that makes it a bit of an anti-challenge. I want to keep the parkour routine going, practicing/ drilling 3x/ week. Doing this 4x/ week proved to be a bit taxing on the body. Beyond that, I want to experiment with some things. I want to add yoga back into the routine, in a way that is manageable and easy to remember. I also want to play with some weapon-like stuff, for the physical and mental discipline, but mainly for the fun of it. Swinging a bokken suburi-style has been good in the last week. So has knife-throwing (I have an excellent target in an old stump behind the garage). Expect to see both make an appearance in the next challenge. I just don't know how much of it to do yet, or at what rate. I guess that's the ultimate goal, finding the right balance, and the right variety.

The parameters of this challenge are likely to ebb and flow over the next few weeks. As is the frequency of my posting. This just tends to be my way. The Barbarian Way.

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

3 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

I don't have specific SMART goals, as is customary for my usual NF challenge. I suppose that makes it a bit of an anti-challenge

So you are being a...rebel? :)  

I actually think you can still get SMART goals. Your weeks can vary when you do them but that could add the variety you are looking for. 

1. Parkour Practice -  drilling 3x/ week

2. Yoga - (insert how many sessions you want to accomplish in a week or how many you want over the whole challenge)

3. Weapon Fun - Work on skills at least 1x/ week or try X number of weapons

4. Meditation - Daily

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

18 hours ago, Jonesy said:

So you are being a...rebel? :)  

I actually think you can still get SMART goals. Your weeks can vary when you do them but that could add the variety you are looking for. 

1. Parkour Practice -  drilling 3x/ week

2. Yoga - (insert how many sessions you want to accomplish in a week or how many you want over the whole challenge)

3. Weapon Fun - Work on skills at least 1x/ week or try X number of weapons

4. Meditation - Daily

Yes, something like that. I think everything beyond the parkour practice will vary from week to week. And parkour may vary, depending on health considerations. In some cases, I may substitute a few hundred bokken swings for the parkour workout.

The meditation is a given, that happens every day.

This week I am going to try including a short yoga routine with the daily meditation, and see if that is manageable.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Hi, found your thread and following

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

So far the combination of a short yoga routine with the daily meditation is working well. The yoga is only 6 - 7 minutes, more of a daily "tune-up" than a real workout. When combined with the bokken practice, I feel like my posture is improving.

Thursday is one of my planned parkour days, but we will see how that goes. As with last Tuesday, I'm taking some health stuff into consideration, and may opt for a bokken workout again, or a combination of bokken and backyard body-weight exercises. 

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Ok, the parkour is definitely back on. I did a few runs in the backyard over lunch, speed-vaulting the Adirondack chairs a number of times, and a few jump muscle-ups/ climb-ups on a tall stump behind the garage, enabling me to get up onto the garage and jump off, complete with parkour roll landing. I really have to make a point to use my backyard more often (at least when there is sufficient daylight or moonlight).

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I did another mini-workout in the backyard this evening. For some reason I kept clipping the Adirondack chairs as I was vaulting over them. Not catastrophically, just enough I was aware of it. I guess it's something to be mindful of in the future. I also worked on precision jumps, pull-ups, jumping muscle-ups, and of course the obligatory jumping off the garage into a parkour roll.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I like this idea of looking for things in the yard as obstacles.  I need to take a better look around our yard to see if I can find some good parkour lines

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I like this idea of looking for things in the yard as obstacles.  I need to take a better look around our yard to see if I can find some good parkour lines

I have found that training the "traceur's eye" is more difficult than the physical skills themselves. I can't count how many times I've walked or driven by something time after time, thinking there was no parkour potential in it. Then, months later, it all becomes so obvious.

This is the experience I just recently had with my backyard.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I had a really good parkour training sessions today. I did a little bit of everything currently in my parkour repertoire. I've noticed the precision jumps are definitely improving. There are specific granite slabs at my training area I jump between, and I'm now hitting my marks better.

One of these days I will have to try the climb-up at a different location, just to see how I am progressing by testing it a less forgiving location.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

So I tried some true climb-ups yesterday on a wall that had no cheats. I'm still not able to do it. The weak link is still my grip. It's something I will just have to keep working on. I recently started practicing false grip bar hangs to build up my wrists. 

Then I also came across this list, a real treasure-trove of training ideas. Seriously, where has this list been all my life?

The climb-up is a tough technique. I am reminded of this every time I work up the courage to try it for real, without cheats, without over-grips, etc. It has defeated me every time. So far. I had hoped to have it licked by the end of summer. Well, summer has passed, and I'm still not there. But again, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a very tough technique. Very ****ing tough! Especially for a tall-lanky guy like myself, who has never had any real upper-body strength until the last couple of years (thank you Nerd Fitness!). It would be so easy to move on to something else, to give in to that niggling thought in the very back of my brain that says "it's too hard" or "it's impossible." I've done this in the face of various challenges at various times in my life. Not this time. I'll keep going. The chilling weather has me somewhat concerned, as I really hope I can beat this before the first snow falls. Winter will make things more difficult. But I guess that will just be another challenge to overcome, if that is what fate has in store for me. I'll figure it out, one way or another.

On another note, I recently ordered some more Feiyue shoes, as APK apparently got a new shipment in, and I want to have at least one more pair on hand in case my current shoes wear out in the coming months. I still have the extra pair (actually the first pair I every bought) that is one size larger than is ideal for me (a Euro size 45, where as I have found 44 is best). But I'm saving the 45 for winter, as I want to see if layering up several thick socks will negate the slightly larger shoe size, and sufficiently protect me from the frozen earth beneath my feat.

I also need to start thinking about assembling my "winter parkour kit" of snow brushes and scrapers, maybe a small shovel, and even a small amount of salt/ grit for prepping training areas in the winter. Just enough to clear a "lane" on walls or park benches for me to train on.

The more I think about it, the more winter training outdoors seems insane. But that only makes me want to try it even more. Worst case scenario, I try it, it doesn't work, and I am forced indoors to keep up on strength training. That's still something.

But I think it's going to work. It will be different, and difficult, but it will work. 

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

11 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Then I also came across this list, a real treasure-trove of training ideas. Seriously, where has this list been all my life?

All the yes!  I think I now have a good idea of what I am going to focusing on this winter (most of which is from that page) :) 

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

All the yes!  I think I now have a good idea of what I am going to focusing on this winter (most of which is from that page) :) 

Ryan Ford is the man.

So I went outside for more parkour training this evening. I was somewhat fatigued as I was training yesterday, but it was still a good run. I did stuff from the already mentioned list, especially the cat hang leg press. My grip clearly has a long way to go, but it will get there in time. Even if it takes all winter.

I also did my usual drilling-the-hell-out-of-speed-vaults thing. They are definitely getting better. However, I really should find another location with some new obstacles to train with. I can see where constantly training on the same obstacles can lead to stagnation. I want my speed vault to be versatile, not specifically tuned to a certain kind of park bench commonly found in my community. It might be time to head to the rock quarry sometime this weekend. There are big blocks of granite, at least one massive wood timber, and a variety of benches (all shapes and sizes). And in some instances, the risk of going into the water if I'm not careful (or DEATH if I'm stupid and reckless...I'm not though).

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Well now, it seems I forgot to leave an update after Thursday training. I worked on the lazy vault, and I feel like I can finally add this one to my parkour repertoire. I also worked more on the speed vaults, trying to get them down to where I can do them in my sleep. I didn't do a lot of dedicated upper body stuff this time.

I chose to forgo my Saturday practice, as I already have three parkour practices down for the week, and because I was busy with cleaning the garage, and building a new workbench. This endeavor was something of a workout in itself, as most of my core muscles feel like I just did some parkour.

I may still get out and train more tomorrow, depending upon the weather. Or I will just have to stay indoors and train on the pull-up bar. I really should do some upper body and grip stuff. That grip thing is the main thing holding my back from a proper climb-up.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I also forgot to mention I started working on quadruped movements (QM) on Thursday. QM is something I've seriously neglected since I started parkour.  I'm using this video as my starting point.

Today looks to be a gloomy, cold, rainy day. I think outdoor training is out. I'll just stick to some rather gentle indoor training, as my muscles are still sore from yesterday's garage work.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I just did my usual yoga and meditation yesterday, with a little work on my grip strength, mainly the false-grip. I believe having a strong false-grip will be key to me mastering the parkour climb-up in the coming months.

Today looks cold, rainy, and gloomy as well. So again, more indoor training. If I do anything outdoors, it will be a simple bokken routine in between rain showers. I may also consider going to the Y for a yoga class.

In the matter of the bokken and other weapon-like routines, the bokken has so far proven to be the one to stick with as my mainstay weapon (versus throwing knives, archery, etc). The advantage I have with the bokken is that I can safely perform the routine in my backyard in the dark. Knife throwing is just impractical in the dark (and dangerous), and archery has the obvious limitation of needing both daylight and a proper range. As most of my training occurs in during twilight or dark, it's important for me to have something that isn't relying on daylight. There are well-lit parks and other training areas where I can continue my parkour in the darkness. Bokken practice can happen just about anywhere outdoors (or indoors if the ceiling is high enough). However, I've come to prefer practicing the bokken in darkness, so that the usual activity doesn't draw excess attention. It's much the same as when I practice karate outdoors.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Good luck with the false grip. I have started working on it a bit recently and have decided it is right difficult.

Bokken in the dark sounds very assassiney :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good luck with the false grip. I have started working on it a bit recently and have decided it is right difficult.

Bokken in the dark sounds very assassiney :)

Yep. False grip really sucks. Much discomfort. Very ouch. But necessary, and a good, tough challenge. 

The bokken totally fits the assassin/ ninja theme that I go for. It's a good fit with my past karate training. Stances and overall motions are different, but there are common themes.

Today I did a yoga class at the Y. I think it was exactly what I needed. No bokken training today. I think today is a good day for training in peace, not weapons. Call it my little silent protest of sorts. My way of leading by example.

Tomorrow will be better.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Well I've had a hell of an uneventful week, up until the weekend of course. I missed all my parkour workouts until Saturday and Sunday. I guess the simple answer to why the work week was crummy would be illness. I suppose all the work training may have contributed as well, especially the 4 hrs of defensive tactics. But overall, I will just say illness, of one sort or another.

I feel I made up for it over the weekend. I did a great deal of parkour yesterday and today, working through pretty much every technique in my repertoire. And I even got the joy of a few scrapes and other injuries to show for it! My favorite was when I clipped my left knee doing a speed vault over a bench, and I tumbled over it. My knee has a few funny colors on it now, but nothing serious.

In hindsight, I guess the work week wasn't a complete loss either. Even though I didn't go out and "parkour" as I usually do, I was working on the false-grip at hope all along. Plus there was a fair amount of yoga that was done, as well as a "power yoga" class on Monday. I must make a point to get to one of those classes at the Y from time to time. That stuff really helps keep me put together. I've also signed up for a qigong class coming up in November. It's a one-night deal, but I will apparently get a DVD out of it for home practice. And I do love my home practice.

Still no luck on the full climb-up, but each day I get closer. My wall-run climb-ups and jumping muscle-ups continue to improve. I'll get where I want to be eventually.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Last night I jumped back into my parkour training pretty hard. I covered about everything in my repertoire at least a little bit, but put some extra focus on wall hanging and running climb-ups. I've decided to continue to put extra focus for a while on wall hanging, especially doing a side-to-side shimmy along a wall while in a cat-hang position. I think this will help develop my grip and endurance while on the wall, and ultimately contribute to being able to do a climb-up from a cat-hang position in the future. I'm also making a point to do QM stuff with each workout, even if only just a little bit, as this can be a useful skill in itself but mostly because it's really good for developing flexibility and strength. Lastly, I'm incorporating pull-up and dip negatives into my home workout, in effort to increase my overall endurance and reps with proper pull-ups and dips. As I hadn't been deliberately focusing on this stuff recently, I've noticed my performance and slipped and I'm finding it difficult to do more than three reps of either exercise per set. I would like to get back up to five, then progress towards ten. More focus on the upper-body stuff is necessary. This is what I've traditionally lacked, all my life.

Last night was also the first real cold outdoor workout I've had since taking up parkour. I noticed that concrete obstacles, especially the rougher ones, suddenly become way more painful when cold (in the upper 30s, lower 40s F range). It was also the first workout I've had where I had to keep the hoodie on at all times out of necessity. After the workout I decided to pick up some thin mechanix-style gloves for future cold workouts. I know that won't do a lot against the cold, but it doesn't have to. It just has to minimize the discomfort of coming into contact with cold concrete in the coming winter months. I don't want anything thicker, as I think I will loose the "feel" of the obstacles (much like why I like having thin shoes). Hopefully it will be enough to at least get me through short workouts, with time in between to warm up with thicker gloves or mits.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Rest day today. However, I did get into my knife-throwing a little bit. I took a heavy-duty 7 inch nail to the grinder, and crafted this nasty little surprise.

59ded174e31be_boshuriken01.jpg.4994b08560741d6b6f6784fac6c84e4d.jpg59ded17609e11_boshuriken02.jpg.fe94cfac3f80187d50bd4c77f0420270.jpg

I suppose it's a sort of an improvised bo shurken. Or just a throwing spike. Whatever you want to call it. I gave it a few test throws, and it seems to work ok. I made it stick in the stump a few times. Like anything, it will take some time to get used to it. It's a bit heavier than the throwing knives I am used to, but also longer. And infinity cheaper, therefore most disposable.

Anyway, I thought this fit pretty well with the whole backyard ninja/ assassin theme.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

12 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

especially doing a side-to-side shimmy along a wall while in a cat-hang position. I think this will help develop my grip and endurance while on the wall, and ultimately contribute to being able to do a climb-up from a cat-hang position in the future.

That sounds to me like a solid strategy.  Most of the tutorials I have watched suggest this as one of the ways to train for wall grip.

1 hour ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Anyway, I thought this fit pretty well with the whole backyard ninja/ assassin theme.

Totally ninja!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja