A chef, a fighter pilot, and a surgeon walk into a... [Shadowlion]

ShadowLion

This write up is going to be done in installments, but at least I'm getting posted closer to the real start of the challenge this time! 

Note: The following will span multiple challenges.

09/23/2017

First Installment

A chef, a fighter pilot and a surgeon walk into ShadowLion’s dinner party, where she serves a mashup of “Meeting of Minds”, a personal mastermind group, and interactive TED Talk.

“What? ShadowLion, whatever have you been drinking?” you might ask.

Well… Way back when, when I was a spring chicken, there was a show on PBS called “Meeting of Minds.” Hosted by Steve Allen, each episode placed actors portraying historical persons - thinkers and doers who had major impact on the world - in a relaxed round table setting where they would discuss their lives and times. Nerd girl that I am, I loved it.

"I felt that putting the greatest figures of all time together and showing them interacting was an entertaining way not only to have a better understanding of what is going on in the world today, but also to be in a better position to make decisions for the future." ~Steve Allen

As part of updating my Epic Quest, I realized that I have not been giving enough time to non-technical subjects and that I rarely have time to read or just sit and think any more. I also realized I have a lack of mentors and have not been utilizing my imagination as much as I might. This could lead to a shadow lion becoming less creative and inspired, and possibly burning out.

So, I decided to use my nerdimagination to remedy the problem, with the idea that I would populate my dinner party (parties?) with a mix of historical and contemporary figures that had/have skills, knowledge, experiences, and/or qualities that would help me in my quests, and use these exercises in imagination to spur me to read their works and apply what I learn from their biographies to my own life. 

I’m still working out how to pull it all together into some learning projects, but figure that may be something that works itself out by doing. At this stage, I plan to do some brief writeups, not even “scripts” so much as notes and then do some active imagination exercises followed up with additional notes about the insights and ideas I gain.

The chef, fighter pilot and surgeon are three people who relate to goals directly from my Epic Quest. 

Learn to cook. I’ve realized that part of why I don’t eat healthier is that I really don’t know how to cook. Julia Child to the rescue. Doesn’t hurt that she was a badass that worked for the OSS during World War II and that when asked to solve the problem of too many OSS underwater explosives being set off by curious sharks,” she cooked up a shark repellent that is still in use today. 

Second Installment

09/25/2017

Improve my business acumen, creativity, and inventiveness. I made some errors in the last couple of years on my business strategies. In taking a nice, stable job working for a company I like and in a great team, I’ve bought some time to dream up another venture (or not). I’ve given myself at least the next six months to find an idea and think it through. (Have made a commitment to myself to stay at current job at least one year - can't believe I am nearly at 90 days already!)

I want to not only reflect on and learn from my previous mistakes during that time, I want to study the masters of strategy, game theory, leadership, and innovation. Chief among those is master strategist Lt. Col. John Boyd, the fighter pilot in my title and dinner guest at my first meeting of Minds. Future “guests” Elon Musk, Sun Tzu, John Nash, Leonardo da Vinci

Improve my productivity, workflows and accuracy I read “The Checklist Manifesto” by Atul Gawande several years ago and always meant to go back and reread it and implement more of the ideas from it. This year, I will. And, read this eminent surgeon’s other works, including “Being Mortal.”

Still more to come...

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

New Epic Quest Writeup

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I am doing weekly goals that I may calibrate as my capacity and situation changes. I learned last challenge that I may shoot ahead one week and then expect myself to live up to that as the new standard, then fail the following week. To remedy that, I will up goals only  modestly in light of that and work to an overall average over the course of a challenge. 

Overall Challenge Goals

Walk: Work up to an average of at least 15 miles per week, total at least 60 miles over 4 weeks

Sleep: Average between 50 - 52 hours per week

Healthy lunches: At least 4/5 workdays per week and 1/2 on the weekend; 5 overall (Can make up for bad behavior on the weekend if I need to)

Meditation: At least 6 times per week

Ride the bus: 3 or more days per week

Weight Loss: 5 pounds

Week One Quick Summary

Goal: 12+ miles walking, 49 hours+ sleep; 5 healthy lunches; 6 meditations; 3+ days riding bus, -1.25 pounds

Achieved: 17.54 miles walking,  51:31 sleep, 7 healthy lunches, 6 meditations, 5 days taking the bus, -2 pounds - Woot!

Goals Week Two: 15+ miles walking, 50 - 52 hours sleep; 5 healthy lunches; 6 meditations; 3 days riding bus, -1.25 pounds

Achieved:

Challenge totals (as start of 9/24/017)

Achieved: 17.54 miles walking,  51:31 sleep, 7 healthy lunches, 6 meditations, 5 days taking the bus - Woot!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Following along again. I really want to see what those people walked into, and why they didn't watch where they were going.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love the title:lol: Good plan to just start with the challenge, and not worry about if you don't have time for a big write up

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hi, Tank and Elastigirl and Xena and Sloth! Thanks for the encouragement and support. It definitely helps me stay focused and accountable.

Keeping at it - Need to download my fitness tracker data for all the specifics, but I've ridden the bus three out of four days so far this week and that means I get quite a bit of walking in, too. I'm somewhere above 10 miles for the challenge, so far. Healthy lunches, check. Meditation, check. Crazy busy at work, but taking breaks and stretching and doing extra stair walking. So glad that high temperatures are below 100 degrees  now!

Want to get my writeup done and posted so you know what the title is about, but it is getting late. 

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

On 9/19/2017 at 5:59 PM, Xena said:

Wanted to thank you for introducing me to tarot many challenges ago! I've been meeting regularly with a group for a few months now and learning a lot. I don't think I would have started if it weren't for some of your posts.

Glad that you have taken up the cards and are getting something out of it! What is your group like? Does it have a particular focus or is it more general in approach?

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

New material added to first post, including the first installment on the origins of my challenge title...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

19 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

Glad that you have taken up the cards and are getting something out of it! What is your group like? Does it have a particular focus or is it more general in approach?

I'd say it's fairly general. The core of it is a friend and her husband (and me). We've had another couple join us for several sessions, but the woman is leaving the country for several months. so I'm not sure if they guy will stick with it. I think we have someone new to bring into the group soon.

The husband is a very experienced reader. For a lot of our earlier sessions, he would bring in examples of reading that people had posted onto a forum and asked about. We would work through the interpretation, and he would provide bits of guidance along the way. Now we are more familiar with the cards, so we've done different things, most recently moving into some live readings. Last time I stole an idea from some of your old threads. We each picked a card that symbolized something we wanted to work toward or realize in our lives, and sort of reflected on the card during the week.

It's been pretty interesting and definitely fun.

-----

I like your dinner party idea!!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

More added to first post:

Second Installment

09/25/2017

Improve my business acumen, creativity, and inventiveness. I made some errors in the last couple of years on my business strategies. In taking a nice, stable job working for a company I like and in a great team, I’ve bought some time to dream up another venture (or not). I’ve given myself at least the next six months to find an idea and think it through. (Have made a commitment to myself to stay at current job at least one year - can't believe I am nearly at 90 days already!)

I want to not only reflect on and learn from my previous mistakes during that time, I want to study the masters of strategy, game theory, leadership, and innovation. Chief among those is master strategist Lt. Col. John Boyd, the fighter pilot in my title and dinner guest at my first meeting of Minds. Future “guests” Elon Musk, Sun Tzu, John Nash, Leonardo da Vinci

Improve my productivity, workflows and accuracy I read “The Checklist Manifesto” by Atul Gawande several years ago and always meant to go back and reread it and implement more of the ideas from it. This year, I will. And, read this eminent surgeon’s other works, including “Being Mortal.”

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Week One Quick Summary

Goal: 12+ miles walking, 49 hours+ sleep; 5 healthy lunches; 6 meditations; 3+ days riding bus, -1.25 pounds

Achieved: 17.54 miles walking,  51:31 sleep, 7 healthy lunches, 6 meditations, 5 days taking the bus, -2 pounds - Woot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

My reaction every time I see a ShadowLion thread

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc

Hey, D_R!!!!! How are you doing?!

I may have to slow down or back off once in awhile, but I don't give up!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I am keeping tracking goals in this post.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

OH HELLO THERE SHADOWLION!!!!

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Hello there, Rowan! Welcome to my little dinner party!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Why thank you! How are you doing today? 

• Like 1

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

On 9/23/2017 at 3:32 PM, Xena said:

I'd say it's fairly general. The core of it is a friend and her husband (and me). We've had another couple join us for several sessions, but the woman is leaving the country for several months. so I'm not sure if they guy will stick with it. I think we have someone new to bring into the group soon.

The husband is a very experienced reader. For a lot of our earlier sessions, he would bring in examples of reading that people had posted onto a forum and asked about. We would work through the interpretation, and he would provide bits of guidance along the way. Now we are more familiar with the cards, so we've done different things, most recently moving into some live readings. Last time I stole an idea from some of your old threads. We each picked a card that symbolized something we wanted to work toward or realize in our lives, and sort of reflected on the card during the week.

It's been pretty interesting and definitely fun.

-----

I like your dinner party idea!!

That sounds like a great way to learn the cards. It's especially good to have a very experienced reader in the group. I think it helps a lot to have other people to bounce ideas off of and working through forum examples is an idea I'm going to steal! 

One of the fun things I did in a class was to have everyone make their own card. Everyone would bring in magazines and we would cut out pictures and make a collage card, based on whatever theme in the cards a person wanted to work with. You could bring in photos, draw, or add other materials, as well. It added a nice dimension. People could interpret a card as strictly or loosely as they liked and personalize it in a variety of ways. Then everyone would share their impressions of the various cards. It was creative, fun, and educational.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

On 9/26/2017 at 3:13 PM, rowan said:

Why thank you! How are you doing today? 

Hanging in there today. Yesterday was a blowout on exercise, diet, sleep. Ugh. But that's why I built in weekly goals and averages. I knew there was going to be a rough spot at work partway into the challenge. I just had no idea how rough it was going to be.

We went from git merge hell last week into the fallout from it this week. I worked most of the day Sunday and got partway into Monday when it became apparent that in their attempt to repair last week's damage, someone pruned a bunch of code from our shared repository (essentially our backup system) and wiped out a couple of my project's main files.

This is the project that needed to be done last Friday to be adequately tested before the company's conference this weekend... I spent 12 hours yesterday rebuilding it just to get to where I could start working on the centerpiece of the whole thing--a data dashboard with all these lovely little charts. That was supposed to be today and tomorrow's work. Instead, I needed to deal with yet more missing files. *Sigh*

So I'll be at it late tonight, too, but I took the bus today and got my miles walked. I made my lunch and meditated today already! 

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

12 minutes ago, Xena said:

that sounds really cool!

It was! It was fun to see the very different takes on the themes. We got to let our inner kindergarteners out to play and they responded with some great visual metaphors. Everyone ended up something unique that they had made and that they took home with them to continue working with. The conversation the following week was interesting, too, as a lot of people gained deeper insights through doing their imagery homework with their card.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hello hello hello shadowlion, happy end of week 2 and beginning of week 3! How did the rest of your week go?

@rowan - Better! We got the project done, but were all like zombies Friday and Monday. It wasn't until yesterday morning that I began to get my energy back. I noticed that my walk to the bus yesterday afternoon, which has significant uphill stretch, was my best time yet and it felt good to get out and walk. I'm bouncing back!

Goals Week Two: 15+ miles walking, 50 - 52 hours sleep; 5 healthy lunches; 6 meditations; 3 days riding bus, -1.25 pounds

Achieved: 12.18 miles walking, 44:32 sleep; 5 healthy lunches, 5 meditations, 3 days riding the bus, did not weigh in

I didn't meet all of my goals, but I do feel like I did very well, given the 60 hour work week I had! 

Current challenge totals, end or Week Two

29.72 miles walking,  96:03 sleep, 12 healthy lunches, 6 meditations, 5 days taking the bus, -2 pounds

Goals Week Three: 15+ miles walking, 49+ hours sleep; 5 healthy lunches; 6 meditations; 3 days riding bus, -1.25 pounds

I'm thinking I may need to alter my sleep goal. So far this week I have slept right at 6:15 for three nights running and am waking up naturally before the alarm. I'm going to continue tracking and adjust as necessary. I feel like I am sleeping well, but do get sleepy in the afternoon. An afternoon nap would be ideal, but no way to do that with the work schedule. 

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Very impressive week, I'm amazed at how much walking you were able to get in even while working that much.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien