Second ever run, did 6km yay!

So I took part in a charity mud run back in the summer and saw there was another/OCR run near me which I wanted to do. So I figure I need to get running - something I never really do. At school (going way back) I was a decent sprinter but anything that required stamina I hated and didn't do.  I do cardio now - zumba and I've been cycling fairly regularly since March so I'm hoping that'll help.

So I did a test run to see how far I could get before I wanted to walk and did 1.1km which was the furthest I've ran at that point  - I was alright with it as I know with new things I tend to push too hard and burnout rather than pacing myself so I adapt after. But comments from others had me worried as the OCR is 6km and I have 2 weeks to get ready. :(

I bought some running shoes for offroad and headed out this morning to see if I could do better - mostly running in fields. I wanted to do a mile at least but in the end did 6.2km which makes me feel more confident going towards the event itself. My pacing is probably bad but I'm not a runner, just want to do this event :D (6:02/km or I think strava said 9.43/mile but overall 37min42 for 6.2km, 66m of elevation)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1195693376

• Like 2

'A path is made by walking on it'

Character Profile

Strava

Congratulations on your success! It is quite a milestone to reach 5k, much less 6k. If you can run that I wouldn't worry too much about pacing.

I did a 5k about a month or so ago, for charity of course, and up until a few weeks prior to the event I had only ever run a mile without stopping. But I sat out and measured how much farther I'd have to run every other day until I hit the milestone of 5km (~3.3ish miles). I didn't over train by any means but I did run the race without stopping which was all I wanted to do. I ended up coming in like 19th/60ish. Top 3 in my age range (I was number 3 lol). The point is I didn't put a WHOLE LOTTA effort in, just enough to where I could do it and I did alright. But my goal was not to win, it was just to finish. Next time I do this again, my goal will be to win.

Not sure if you intend to win, or if your goal is to run it nonstop like mine was, but whatever it may be keep pushing for it! :)

• Like 1

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

Goal is just to get to the end and have fun really :) but I get a little competitive and tend to push too hard  heheh. Thanks guys.

On 25/09/2017 at 2:32 PM, Roamer said:

I ended up coming in like 19th/60ish. Top 3 in my age range (I was number 3 lol). The point is I didn't put a WHOLE LOTTA effort in, just enough to where I could do it and I did alright.

Congrats on your 5k race, it's good to know it can be done. I know there are a bunch of obstacles I can't really practise - like the wall climbing but I'm hoping that the strength workouts I do will help me get through that.

I went for another run today of 6.4km, would have gone a little longer but there were a couple of dog walkers in the field. Feeling pretty good about things at the moment.

'A path is made by walking on it'

Character Profile

Strava