Any Swimmers Out there?

I would honestly have to use the award guides and find the difference between them. UK is still run by the Lifesaving society, considering that's where it originated from. From there, different standards have branched off from however long ago throughout the world. We run the the lifesaving Society. But not the Royal Lifeaving Society...more of a branch. So we have our National Lifesaving where as you have National Lifeguard Pool Qualification. .... You guys can easily get an international pass to work everywhere withyour standard...we can't do that with ours...

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mixy-Chan, level 1 Elf scout

STR 3|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

Cool cool with ya now, yeah we're governed by the RLSS, they're pretty good :) Pretty hardcore though

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Well, they were the ones that started it all. Aulstralia is pretty strict about their guards as well. Did you have to take any pre requisits? Like I had to take my Bronze Medallion and Cross, plus I took my LSS AEC rather then a Red Cross First Aid.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

No there aren't any pre-requisites apart from age and swimming ability. Bronze Medallion is optional as a progression stage from Swimming lessons, but not essential. I did it though, it was good fun as a kid :)

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

See we have those pre requisits...which isn't that bad. I didn't have those type of fun things as a kid...I took my first bronse when I was 17. I'm still taking courses today. Like....do you guys have the Aquatic emergency Care for your first aid...like I am now certified to teach that...or at least in Saskatchewan...

New thing for me with siwmming....I think I have a dream to Lifeguard at the Olympics..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Swimming lessons are a good thing, after 30 years of swimming I finally learned how to kick properly after taking a few classes; I only used upper body while swimming and now that I can kick I definetly feel faster

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Wow... I'm real late for this thread but I'm also a swimmer. Started when I was 11. Competitively swam for 11 years all the way through college. I started teaching lessons again and just recently got back in the water with a group in the mornings. I'm feeling good now that I'm back in swimming shape, kicking butt, and not getting mine kicked. I'm glad there are others out here that are in the water as well!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

I'm looking at getting my coaching credentials for teaching competitive swimming...but right now I'm not even allowd in the water...I fractured my thumb and now I have a cast...I'm getting a water proof one...but the swelling needs to go down first. It really annoys me :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Sorry for being so late for the swim thread...

No competitive swimming experience, or even swimming lesson experience for that matter. However I have been playing on a water polo team for four years, starting my fifth in September. I am also a certified lifeguard and am currently working part-time at a local pool. I'm almost done all of my practice-teaching hours for my WSI (water safety instructors aka swimming lesson instructor) certification, if only I could get my hands on the elusive parented-preschool classes. Most of my certifications are LifeSaving Society.

I have some speed, being able to outswim most of the non-competitive swimmers on my team, but no endurance. I sprint several 25s in a row, and I start slowing down immediately after the first one. Sounds like an eventual challenge goal for me.

I was a swimmer and water polo player in high school, but I was a benchwarmer -- during swim season I was that rarest of breeds, a sprinter with no speed. :( Took up both sports in memory of my best friend, who in the summer after our sophomore year of HS died during a swim team practice of a congenital heart condition he didn't know he had. (A birth defect of my own that left my calves, feet and ankles shriveled, deformed and in constant pain prevents me from doing well anything that would be considered athletic...but at least being in the water didn't abuse my feet like anything that involves running does.)

Haven't hit the pool since 1996 but starting around New Year's, the only time of year when gym memberships are not exorbitantly expensive where I live, I will be in the water again. (No public pools where I live. Lake Superior freezes over every year, and even when it's not solid ice it's usually too cold to swim in.)

I used to have this fantasy goal of participating in a local beginner’s triathlon. However, last year when I decided to get serious about training in the swim portion, I discovered that swimming laps creates barf inducing motion sickness. I'm thinking I am more of a duathlon kind of girl.

Human Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2| WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven't. -Lucille Ball

My Blogger / Twitter / DailyMile / MyFitnessPal / 2012 Goals

Awesome another open water nut :D I've done the same thing, am a coach now but have gotten back into the water properly this year, back into the 1500m in the pool and open water. Not regretting coming back loving it. Do it!!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

Our neighborhood has a really nice outdoor 50m pool. I've been trying to go in the evenings when there's no threat of major thunderstorms (which leaves few days to swim, actually). I'd love to get back into open water competition. I LOVED it. So much less boring than seeing that T at the end of the pool.

Only regret about coming back to the sport is that in the 9 or so years since I swam regularly I've gotten really, REALLY slow. I know most of the people swimming laps at the pool wouldn't know the difference, but YIKES. At least my technique is still good except for in butterfly.

Newbie scout.

First challenge.

STA: 1

CON: 1

I know that feeling about the slowness, its sooo frustrating! You still think you can go fast, that you should be able to- but the body just ain't playing ball. Thankfully I never completly gave up, though swimming through Uni was a bit of a joke for me. Keep on going, aim for that lake/river/sea!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

Swimming to keep in shape is hard for ex-swimmers. You're always thinking of what you "used to swim" and the sets you "used to do" and the times you "used to make" and it's very frustrating when you don't make the times and are nowhere near what you "used" to be. You just have to let go of the past and think about your body now and what you can do now and work from there. Once I got that mindset laid down I was able to get back in the pool and train.

side note: I kept saying "used to" to myself and wasn't sure if that's how you spell it or even the right meaning of the word "used"... please excuse me if that is not correct... I'm better with numbers than I am with words. hahaha!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

Blub blub glub, blub glub, glub blub.

In short, yes. I swam swim team like everyone else when I was a kid, now I'm looking to return to the lap lane. I'm pretty terrible as of now, but I'm looking to get better.

Level 2 Nord Scout Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

<STR:5><DEX:5><STA:9><CON:4><WIS:4><CHR:3>

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

The Surly Centurion

Time: 6:22:00

Total Miles Cycled: 1940.7

I swim ... well sort of, last summer I started to spend more time in the pool in our backyard as a result of running in the morning at about 7:30 - early enough to miss most of the heat, not early enough to miss all of it by the time I was done. The pool was a great way of cooling down from the heat and from my run as I would swim around it. This summer I am planing on getting back in the pool. On days I work I plan on skipping the running and just swim, and on days I don't work, run and go for a swim

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Hey! I arrived a bit too late for this, but I've been around in NF for quite a bit now... although not very active. I was a swimmer when I was like 9 and swam competitively until 12 or 13, when I quit because of my music carreer (yes, I gave myself the excuse that I had no time for it with school and conservatory). I always kept swimming, though, until I gradually stopped 3 years ago... I used to swim 1.500m or more when I went to the pool. Now I began again to be in shape before I go to college (I'm going to Poland, so I begin in October), or at least able to swim on my own with good technique... I taking lessons now. I was also interested in swimming like in open water, but there's no shore where I live or where I'm going to live, but I want to do that when I have the chance. Here in Chile the water in the beach is RIDICULOUSLY cold because of the Humblodt.. ehm.. current, and I don't know how the Baltic would be... does anybody know, by any coincidence of life? I also wanted to wish you all the best and it's good to meet other people that also love this noble and beautiful sport :D

Ñ

Human adventurer

Hoping to finally find, if only by accident in this road, my true self.

A huge electronic hug to everyone!

I was a swimmer and played waterpolo when I was in school, but haven't swum much since then. I'd just started getting back to swimming a couple times a week recently and then the swimming pool near my house suddenly closed down (not sure what happened, but there's a big sign out the front that says "closed until further notice", which has been there for three weeks now).

Current Challenge!

Battle Log

Instagram | Twitter | Training Journal 

(Weight x Reps x Sets - all weights kg unless specified)

:) I love swimming. In fact, I think I'm going to make it part of my next 6 week challenge so I can get back into it. There's something both invogorating and relaxing about pushing yourself in the water... right now I can't do very much at once so I alternate strokes, but someday I'm going to do me some butterfly.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I. Love. Swimming.

I grew up in a pool, almost literally. Every summer, for as long as I can remember, I was in the water. Until I was about seven, it was regular swimming lessons. When I got too old for that, my parents signed me up for a summer swimming league. I did that until I was about fifteen, when I then worked as a lifeguard for two years. All of that, and days at the pool with my mother and two brothers, and quite a few friends, were spent at a public pool down the road from my house. And that was only during the summer. A few years before I turned fifteen, my parents signed me up for a winter league (hosted by several public high schools). For about four years, all I did was swim.

I haven't been to many pools since then, after my family and I moved to another state when I turned sixteen. But I miss it. A lot. It was my favorite way to exercise, and my favorite way to play. It still is. And my mother's. Granted, I was never good at sprint swimming, but I could swim endurance like no body's business. I was planning on getting back into the water after I got through changing my diet, making it an integral part of my exercise routine (when I get there).