Walking & Hiking

To my mind, "hike" is a sub-set of "walk" with a cross-country connotation. Hiking takes place in a rural or wilderness-like area as opposed to urban or suburban streets or city parks and involves changes in elevation of at least 30 feet. Going further, there's "rucking" which is a walk or a hike carrying additional weight in a backpack with a specific pace in mind.

• Like 3

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I think this is one of those things that everyone has a slightly different interpretation of.

For me, walking is what I do when I want to get from point A to point B. It almost always involves city streets and sidewalks. Hiking is what I do when I go to the local trail(s) and wander around enjoying nature. There's actually a few city parks around me with trails, so it's not necessarily a city vs rural thing. (Basically, sometimes you can find a bit of "wilderness" in the city.)

In addition, the term "backpacking" can be used when going on a multiple day hike.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

So to use a kind of cheesy definition that they tell us in training,

"Walking is about the destination; hiking is about the trip".

I agree that hiking involves trails, but I disagree about the elevation change. I work in a park in the Mississippi River Delta. We have hiking trails even though it's flat. :)

• Like 1