Cramming Calories Before Bed

I've never been a fan of counting calories, mainly because it's hard to figure out what the caloric value of some of my favorite foods are and I get spooked easy.

But I'm doing my best now because I've got a plan, a goal, and a team to back me up (shout out to the ENTIRE Rebellion).

Today proved... problematic. I worked out, I ate a good breakfast and a solid lunch, and drank a TON of water and I wasn't really hungry. But MyFitnessPal told me that I couldn't check out for the day because I was 700+ calories under my minimum required caloric intake. So I freaked out (like I do) and crammed in that extra 700 calories. [Two tilapia flanks, and a mixture of Greek Yogurt, Peanut Butter, and a little bit of honey for taste] 

But now I'm going to bed in the next 30 - 40 minutes and I feel like crap because I'm stuffed like a tick. Any pointers on how to A) Balance my calories correctly so I don't end up having these problems and B)Manage my tracker better, because I'm worried it's going to worry me so much in the beginning that I'm going to do more harm than good.

EDIT:
You can take a look at what I tracked today on MyFitnessTracker.

Hi James! Yeah I've been planning my meals, but that's been part of the problem. I've been making meals that range between 300 and 400 calories. When I eat healthy, I always end up eating lower calorie/high protein.

16 hours ago, Raulwicke Legendsinger said:

Hi James! Yeah I've been planning my meals, but that's been part of the problem. I've been making meals that range between 300 and 400 calories. When I eat healthy, I always end up eating lower calorie/high protein.

Add fat.

When you plan for weightloss for a long while, you learn to cut processed carbs and fat out, as they are both high in calorie content.  When you're starting to get so far down that you need calories, fats are priceless.  Half a cup of cashews is 300 calories.  A whole avocado runs about the same.  Two tablespoons of butter - 200 calories of deliciousness on sweet potatoes and veggies.  And this has the benefit that when you DO need to cram some extra calories in, the volume isn't insane (significantly less than two tilapia steaks, a serving of greek yogurt and PB, and whatever else needed to get thrown in).

Fat is not bad.  Ignore the "common knowledge" that fat will make you fat.  It's bogus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Especially if you're trying to lose weight I wouldn't worry about coming in under your total calories unless it becomes a regular occurrence. If you're not hungry and aren't feeling weakness/fatigue/other signs of being underfed, don't sweat it too much.

Yes, it's possible to wreck your metabolism by undereating but you're not going to do that without at some point saying "holy shit I'm hungry."

As to how to better manage it, I've found it manages itself in a way. If you undereat one day, you'll wake up the next day and have a bigger breakfast/lunch, thus balancing out that end of your food schedule.

Getting good at meal planning takes some time and trial & error. The longer you do it the better you'll be at it.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

Especially if you're trying to lose weight I wouldn't worry about coming in under your total calories unless it becomes a regular occurrence. If you're not hungry and aren't feeling weakness/fatigue/other signs of being underfed, don't sweat it too much.

Also this.  If losing weight, then big deficits aren't that bad, assuming everything is in working order.  When I was bigger, a 700 calorie deficit wasn't an issue - because I had ample fat stores my body could burn instead.

15 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

As to how to better manage it, I've found it manages itself in a way. If you undereat one day, you'll wake up the next day and have a bigger breakfast/lunch, thus balancing out that end of your food schedule.

And this.  Bodies do not automatically reset at midnight.  They are not Gremlins and Mogwai.  If you're 700 calories under on Monday and feel weird the next day, you can eat a bit more on Tuesday.  The trend is more important than the single data point.

• Thanks 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 9/25/2017 at 7:46 PM, Raulwicke Legendsinger said:

I want to circle back to this because I want to point out something kind of important: it reads like you're individual meals, NOT planning for your day.  If you're counting calories you should be estimating what your calories on any given day are going to be and what they are composed of. 

Me, I love spreadsheets so I have a big, ridiculous monstrosity that you plug base ingredients into and it pops out your caloric intake.  I have a grid of 7 days with three columns.  Each column is a "meal" (usually a meal and a snack).  I plug in those ingredients as I plan my meals and check that I'm not over/under eating too much in a single day and that my food is in a healthy proportion between carbs, proteins, and fats (the "macros" as the kids say).  The spreadsheet automatically compares my intake to my goals of calories and each individual macro, shows me how many more calories I need, and which macros are out of proportion.  There ain't no kill like overkill.  PM me and I can email you a copy if you want.

This can be simplified down to a notebook and looking stuff up in MyFitnessPal.  Write down a breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Look up the calories, and total.  Are you 700 below?  Ok, add a morning and afternoon snack or maybe just change one of your meals to something higher calorie.  Have you not eaten any carbs that day and you're supposed to run 4 miles?  Maybe you should add some cranberries to your chicken breast on a garden salad you're eating for lunch.  Have you planned a whole day without any fat intake?  Throw some coconut oil on your... well everything.  That stuff's awesome, it's like vegan bacon. 

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.