• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

james452

Cauliflower and Leek Soup

My girlfriend falls in love with me every time I make this, plus I use this whenever I have guests over. It's basically my signature dish so I'll happily share it with everyone.

Ingredients:

1 large cauliflower (green parts/stem removed)

1 large leek

1 can (240mL) of coconut cream (get 100% coconut if you can)

1 large onion

2 tbsp of stock (chicken or veggie stock works good, can be liquid or powder)

Method

1. Dice up the onion and leek.
  2. Roughly chop the cauliflower or rip it into individual pieces.
  3. In a large pot, "fry" up the onion and leek in an oil of your choice.
  4. Stir the onion and leek until it's translucent (looks kind of clear).
  5. Add in cauliflower and mix it in with the other ingredients.
  6. Add in stock (I use Vegeta branded stock which is really delicious)
  7. Pour in enough water until the ingredients are 80% covered (too much water makes it too thin/watery)
  8. Bring to boil, and simmer for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
  9. Take off heat. Blend ingredients using a hand blender (or a blender if you'd like)
  10. After blending, mix in the coconut cream.

There are two ways you can mess this up, not using enough stock, or by adding too much water. 

Ideally the soup should feel thick and creamy. If you get this, then you have the best soup ever made.

Optional: Mix some sweet potato in if you wanted to bump up the calories for this. My girlfriend adds butter into her soup to bump up the fat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

In step 3, when you say "fry", so you mean saute or sweat? Am I trying to brown the onion and leek?

Perhaps. I had to look up the definition of saute. You don't want to brown the onion and leek. You would "fry" them for about 60 seconds. Basically until they look soft and slightly clear.

However feel free to experiment with it. I'd be interested to see how browning the onions would alter the soup

Okay, so it's closer to a sweat than a sauté. Thanks! The weather just turned cool enough for soup so looks like I have a recipe for this weekend.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2017 at 4:55 PM, Nomad Jay said:

Okay, so it's closer to a sweat than a sauté. Thanks! The weather just turned cool enough for soup so looks like I have a recipe for this weekend.

12 hours ago, Athaclena said:

This looks quite tasty!  I'll have to give it a try the next week I'm home :)

Awesome. Let me know how the recipe goes. The two most important things is don't use too much water, and use a good tasting stock. Vegeta stock is what is available here in Australia, not sure if you can get it overseas.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, james452 said:

Awesome. Let me know how the recipe goes. The two most important things is don't use too much water, and use a good tasting stock. Vegeta stock is what is available here in Australia, not sure if you can get it overseas.

Stock isn't an issue - I make my own :)  I'm lucky enough to have access to frozen, sliced leeks (Trader Joe's FTW) which makes it even easier!  I hate cleaning leeks - I can never seem to get all of the grit out...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 5:30 AM, Athaclena said:

Stock isn't an issue - I make my own :)  I'm lucky enough to have access to frozen, sliced leeks (Trader Joe's FTW) which makes it even easier!  I hate cleaning leeks - I can never seem to get all of the grit out...

Try slicing them long-ways and swirling in them in a sink full of cold water. Fresh leeks stay closer to the surface and the grit falls to the bottom.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 4:17 PM, james452 said:

Perhaps. I had to look up the definition of saute. You don't want to brown the onion and leek. You would "fry" them for about 60 seconds. Basically until they look soft and slightly clear.

However feel free to experiment with it. I'd be interested to see how browning the onions would alter the soup

Unsolicited idea: browning some of the cauliflower during the sauté step. Cauliflower is like broccoli in that it acquires some awesome roasted, nutty flavors as it browns. Once it’s blended in, I’ll bet that would make the finished soup that much richer.