• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

How much alcohol are you folks imbibing?

It seems like athletes fall into two campus: 1) WORK HARD PLAY HARD, and 2) MY BODY IS A TEMPLE.

Everyone around me is either a total abstainer or riding the "mommy needs more wine!" train. 

There's got to be a middle ground, obviously. What is working or not working for you? 

Drink moderately, as appropriate.  What's hard about that? If you need rules, here are some:

- Don't drink to get drunk, drink for the taste or to be social

- Only drink in company (your cat, the TV, and other bar patrons do not count)

- Only drink when you're fed and hydrated

- No more than 2 drinks in one evening

Ps.  As for the body being a temple, a lot of gods love offerings of intoxicants and sweets ...

• Like 1

Personally, I no longer consume alcohol. To quote Robert Downy, "I'm allergic, I tend to breakout into handcuffs."

But, IF you are going to drink, I think some advice from one of steve's article applies (I can't remember the specific article) but he recommended changing your outlook from days and weeks to months and years (in reference to the weight loss journey).

Similar to food, most of the time, I eat relatively healthy and tend to maintain a calorie deficit (been slowly dropping weight for about 4 years now, almost down to goal). I still "pig/binge/destroy my self-respect" from time to time (most recent example: went to brunch with family on sunday and ate about half a loaf of monkey bread, half a "dessert" waffle, fried chicken breast, cheese grits with shrimp, a big salad, collard greens, about 1 cup sausage links, and was asked to leave when they found me gnawing on the roast bone (kidding)). Did I feel terrible later...not really. Was this a "bad" meal....yes IF it became a habit (i.e. starting to eat like that everyday or at least routinely). HOWEVER, I tend to only eat like that 1 or 2 times a month, so it isn't really a big deal. 

I know me, drinking is a problem so I don't do it. If you can do it in moderation, then I'd say its up to you. Just remember, calories are calories, and I'd guess it'd be difficult to drag a$$ to the gym with a 4 alarm hangover.

I rarely drink, but that's more because if I'm going to chose between calories between drinks and food, I'll take the food 11 times out of 10.  I just like food more.

That said, yea, I drink when I feel like it.  I went on a hike with Nerds this weekend, and afterwards had a burger and a couple of delicious beers.  When the rare occasion pops up that I actually attend a party, I'm going to drink a bit.  When my girlfriend and I are exhausted and she's had a long day and wants some wine, I'll have a glass of wine with her.

My only thing is I rarely pick drinking as an option of relaxation when I get home after work - I find tea more calming than booze.  That, and my parents are borderline alcoholics, so I never have been big into the "drink as soon as you get home" bit because I'm not a fan of that. (In a similar vein, I find it stupid that my roommate gets home and then immediately gets stoned afterwork.  Different vice, same issue in my mind.)

But that's just me.

man. I love my drink... unfortunately I do like the occasional binge night. 

that said, I try to program it this way:

no more than 5 units/week. Use it anyway u want it. "units" cannot be brought forward. 

Has been working for me. I rarely use up all 5 "tokens". 

Let's be real, my physical performance/training will probably be more efficient if i don't drink at all. But I am not a professional athlete and paycheck doesn't depend on it, so I get to live a little. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 1:38 PM, Raincloak said:

Ps.  As for the body being a temple, a lot of gods love offerings of intoxicants and sweets ...

My body is a temple. A temple to Dionysis! I kid, I kid. I'll enjoy a one to three beers every day. But over a long period of time where I don't catch a buzz. Usually I have. A beer with dinner and one about an hour after. The only time I struggle with over imbibing is bowling, because the alley I go to has really cheap pitchers of good beer and with friends a plenty you folks can probably imagine. 

I'm a home brewer and generally have some beers when I'm off work, I have learned how much I can drink without getting a hangover, at my age it takes way to long to recover. That is the motivation to not drink too much, if I'm going out drinking, I make sure to drink plenty of water and that helps a lot. I take the philosophy that everything in moderation if you want to have a few beers, enjoy, if not don't. Some people can handle drinking and others cant, do what works for you

Granted, I like to drink as much as the next guy.  But my momma has always told me that you don't need alcohol to have fun.  I have also done quite a bit of research on alcohol, both for college and because alcoholism runs in my family.  I only limit myself to up to 2 beers or 2 shots if I drink.  The thing with me is, there are more days in a month than the amount of alcohol/liquor that I drink.  I barely even touch the stuff anymore.  I still have the occasional drink but I don't crave it, honestly.  If you're not careful, alcohol can make you gain weight, and is not good for the liver.

As a heavy drinker that just joined this program, this is one of my goals. I already stopped drinking regularly at home, and that's a big achievement, however if I go out on a Pub, or start drinking, stopping can be quite hard. Since were I live the Pubs are really expensive, I try to limit myself with how much I'm gonna spend monthly for Pubs. I'm currently down to 200R$, taking that each pint is around 15R$, that's aroung 13 pints a month. Since I don't usually just drink, I'll eat as well and there are some very good meals at the Pubs here, the amount of pints should drop for something around 7-9 pints a month. Now, I know that this means almost 5lts of beer a month, and that is still a lot, but you got to start stopping somehow.

That mindset has usually worked for me, there were a few month that I passed this limit, and a few that I didn't. Now I'm taking this to the next level: stop drinking when I'm offered for free, for instance with my father that is borderline alcoholic. That is being very hard, without even blinking I realized that I already drank 4 cans of beer while working at my fathers house.

Anyway, one step at a time. The main idea that I wanted to share is that it all depends on what you want to do, and how you're gonna do it. I'm still on the run, let you know when I reach the destination.

A quick Edit: I've found out that the type of booze greatly changes what you can do the next day. Beer? I'm no good for at least 2-3 hours after waking up. Whiskey? I'm ok after 1 hour or so. Wine? I'm ok as soon as get up (if the wine is good, otherwise I'm dead for the next 24 hours at least).