Greg T and the temple of Fe

Hear me THOR god of Thunder, I am entering into your world and calling to you and Master Brokkr to witness my trials in your temple of Fe.  I will pit myself against the icons of your temple.  I will work with your guides and master the movements and runes I need to rise into the hierarchy of your temple.  Hear me Thor, and give watch my strength grow, my will become like the substance of your companion Mjolnir.  I once called upon you and the All Father to watch my prowess on the field, and now I am calling to you to watch me grow again, this time in strength.  

THOR!

All Father, I am calling on you to visit me with the wisdom you earned on the tree and let me know when to push harder and when to be wary.  I need your guidance to become the warrior I once was again.  

ODIN, ODIN, ODIN!

This will become the place to tell my temple stories and to express the days exploits.  The numbers will begin small but they shall grow just as I shall grow.  

My visitation to the temple will be 4 days a week.  I will do all in my power to ensure I make it to the temple.  If I cannot, I will do whatever I can wherever I am to make sure that I sweat and groan with exertion.

trellborg.jpg

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

What is not gained through labor is paid for in pride!

STR 8/DEX 4/CON 6/INT 8/WIS 8/CHA 6

BATTLE LOG: GREG T and The Temple Of Fe

Greg T. Proclaims " To mediocrity and Beyond! 2018"

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Yesterday was the first day in the gym in 15 years when I was actually on a plan, with a defined mission and a partner, for now.  I will post the exercises, weight and reps as soon as I can since I seem to have misplaced the sheet.  I will however post todays.

I guess since this is the first post of what I hope will be a very long thread, I guess I should start with some back ground.

I am trying to re-gain and exceed my past strength.  I have stayed out of the gym seriously for 15 years.  I am now 46 years old, and I am in the worst physical condition of my life.  Worst of all I have known this has been on the way for several years.  I know what to do, I know how to do it and I just let it happen.  I shouldn't say I let it happen, nothing just happens.  I caused this to occur with my own negligence and apathy.  ENOUGH!  I want to do many of the things I did a when I was younger.  I want to scuba dive, I want to hike rough terrain and camp in the middle of no where with only what I carry.  I want to have the strength to effect my own rescue in certain situations.  I want to do this and many other things.  I was a Martial artist, ready to proceed to Black Belt, and dropped out.  I was good.  I was enjoying it.  I also did full contact, full speed medieval combat and was good.  I stopped all of those things and devoted myself to work.  It didn't get me where I wanted to be and now that I am much closer to my end goals financially I cannot do what I want to do.    So, my plan is to get back in the gym and move weight, heavy weight to gain strength.  I am already a big guy, and not just fat.  I am not worried about size, I need strength back.  I am combining gym workouts with boy weight exercises and will start to incorporate yoga and martial arts again to re-gain flexibility. I just have to do this in stages.  I want strength.  I want to make my body into the proportions it is supposed to be.  I am going to do it.   Everyday, I awake and perform the following three exercises:  100 Squats, 100 sit-ups and 100 pushups.  Right now I can do the squats but not all of the pushups and setups.  I try to add one per day.   Normal work out days for the gym will be : Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday ( rest) and Thursday.  On Friday Saturday and Sunday I will do my daily exercises and do something else physical.  That may be going to the beach and swimming, or to a pool and swim.  Going for a Camping trip and hiking or just a walk around the neighbor hood.  I am going to try and do something everyday.  Now I have a job, I have other things I want to do and I will plan accordingly.  

Todays gym exercises:    Squats 5 sets:  ( used machine as my knees could not take the strain)

1.  50 kg (110 lbs) 15 reps
  2. 70 kg. (155 lbs)12 reps
  3. 90 kg  ( 200 lbs) 10 reps
  4. 100 kg (225 lbs)  10 reps
  5. 150 kg. ( 330 lbs)5 reps

Military Press

1. 15 kg ( 35 lbs) 15 reps
  2. 17.5 kg (40 lbs) 15 reps
  3. 20 kg. (45 lbs)12 reps
  4. 23.5 kg.(52 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 33.5 kg.(75 lbs) 8 reps

Shrugs (dumbbells)

1. 10 kg (20 lbs) 10 reps
  2. 14 kg. (30lbs)10 reps
  3. 20 kg. (45 lbs)10 reps
  4. 24 kg. ( 52 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 30 kg. (66 lbs)10 reps

Barbell Curls (straight bar)

1. 10 kg ( 20 lbs)15 reps
  2. 12.5 kg.(28 lbs) 12 reps
  3. 15 kg.(33 lbs) 12 reps
  4. 17.5 kg (38.5 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 25 kg (55 lbs) 8 reps

General rules for the sets if it is five sets it is a pyramid.  First set is light enough to permit 15 reps, with last rep being difficult to almost need assistance to complete.  Each set increases weight and decreases the amber of reps.  So set 4 is 12 reps, set 3 10 reps, set 4 8 reps and set 5 should be 5 reps max with near failure if not failure.  If you fail after 3 and need negatives to do the final two that is ideal

Anyway I am hoping t get a nice spreadsheet going for this to make it look nicer.  Feels good to be in the gym again.  It feels good to have my muscles pumped.  I can really feel it in the biceps, and I stopped lifting 2 hours ago.  

ODIN!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR!  ODIN!  Witness!

Going back in time I am posting Sundays lift numbers and Tuesday lift numbers.  The Sunday sheet had fallen between the passenger side door and the seat.

Sunday

Bench Press

1. 20 kg ( 55 lbs) 15 reps
  2. 30 kg (65 lbs) 12 reps
  3. 40 kg. (90 lbs)10 reps
  4. 60 kg.(135 lbs) 8reps
  5. 80 kg.(180 lbs) 5 reps

Deadlift

1. 60 kg (135 lbs) 10 reps
  2. 60 kg. (135 lbs)10 reps
  3. 80 kg. (180 lbs)10 reps
  4. 90 kg. ( 200 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 100 kg. (220 lbs)10 reps

Chin Ups

3 sets to failure. (used machine to aid as neither I nor workout buddy can do an un-assisted chin up yet)

tricep push downs with rope

3 sets to failure

TUESDAY (Tyr's day)

Bench Press

1. 20 kg ( 45 lbs) 15 reps
  2. 30 kg (65 lbs) 15 reps
  3. 40 kg. (90 lbs)12 reps
  4. 50 kg.(110 lbs) 12 reps
  5. 60 kg.(135 lbs) 8 reps
  6. 80 kg (180 lbs) 5 reps (bonus set)

Deadlift

1. 20 kg (45 lbs)    15 reps
  2. 30 kg. (65 lbs)   12 reps
  3. 50 kg. (110 lbs) 10 reps
  4. 60 kg. (135 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 70 kg. (155 lbs)   8 reps

Close grip benchpress

1. 20 kg (45 lbs)    15 reps
  2. 30 kg. (65 lbs).  12 reps
  3. 50 kg. (110 lb)   10 reps
  4. 60 kg. ( 135 lb)    4 reps
  5. 70 kg. (155 lb).    5 reps

Ab Crunch machine

3 sets to failure

1. 55 reps. 15 kg. (33 lb)
  2. 37 reps. 25kg.  (55 lb)
  3. 22 reps  25 kg. (55 lb)

Difference in Deadlift numbers from Sunday to Tuesday are due to us not using proper form on Sunday.  On Tuesday we watched several videos prior to lifting on deadlifts and both watched to make sure we were doing them correctly.  We also decided to start lighter to ensure proper form.  This is week one, no point in developing bad habits now.  Wednesday is a scheduled rest day and with of us need it.  We feel good, I feel strong but my body is sore and while not debilitating, I know I have been working harder than I have in years.

ODIN!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR!  ODIN!  WITNESS!

Good day in the Temple!  I put my backpack on all the way to bring it in from the car to allow me to carry everything in one trip and I almost couldn't get it off again lol Shoulder are pumped.

SQUATS.   Ok, I have been apparently doing Hack squats in the mornings.  In the mirror I was going all the way down and nearly started crying with knee pain. I need to see a doctor.

1.  Body Weight 4
  2.  Body Weight 5
  3.  Body Weight 6
  4.  Body Weight 5
  5.  Body Weight 5

Military Press

1. 20 kg ( 45 lbs) 15 reps
  2. 22.5 kg (50 lbs) 15 reps
  3. 30 kg. (66 lbs)12 reps
  4. 35 kg.(77 lbs) 10 reps
  5. 55 kg.(121 lbs) 6 reps. felt like I could do more reps, or even another 5 kg and 8 reps, felt good

Lateral raises (dumbbells)

1. 4 kg (8.8 lbs) 12 reps
  2. 6 kg. (13.2 lbs)12 reps
  3. 8 kg. (17.6 lbs)12 reps. Felt these for the last 4, didn't need help but man it was close

Barbell Curls (straight bar)

1. 20 kg ( 45 lbs)15 reps
  2. 25 kg.(55 lbs) 15 reps
  3. 30 kg.(66 lbs) 13 reps
  4. 40 kg (88 lbs) 12 reps
  5. 45 kg (100 lbs) 10 reps.  I eat that I allowed myself off easy on this one.  Looking at previous weights it is HUGE gains, but I did 10 reps EASY. Maybe at the three days of bicep pain was worth it ;)

AB Machines. We did abdominal twists with 25 kg  for 3 sets of 50.  Last set I thought I was going to puke.  Feel good now though.

THOR!  Thank You for showing me that it gets better every time you go to the temple!

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

NO workout yesterday in the traditional sense.  

I had car issues and am still dealing with them.  I should be hearing from a roadside mechanic within the hour.  Looks like by inter web searching and my ancient mechanic skills, that I probably have a bad battery, I thought it was alternator for certain.  Workout yesterday was elevated heart rate due to stress and working in 44C weather.  I did walk about 5 km back and forth to my villa.  

If I get vehicle started today, I have to complete my errands from yesterday and may not get more thinly normal morning calisthenics in like yesterday.  Oh well that is one of the reasons I do them.  No matter what I got in some kind of work out everyday, no matter what comes up.

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR!  ODIN!

I had a good but disappointing workout today.

I have apparently lost the workout sheet, when I find it I will post numbers

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have a long and painful road ahead.  I thought I had pretty good mobility and flexibility but it is apparent I do not.  I am working on some flexibility exercises' to increase my ankle, and hip flexor flexibility with the hope that it will help alleviate the knee pain I have in squats and deadlift.   I am having difficulty getting into the correct position for a deadlift and doing a full squat is very painful especially in my right knee.  I am currently doing full wall squats with no weight and using a leg press machine to do some strength training.  I have no doubt that my legs are strong and would push weight on a squat rack it is just me knees are not cooperating.  I am also having issues with my left shoulder.  Last week while doing military press on my third repetition I heard a pop and crunch from my left shoulder.  I had a little pain but sucked it up and finished the set STRONG.  However I have had mild shoulder pain for a week now and even feeling it while doing bench press.  I am now 46 years old and although I stopped doing the combat sports about 10 years ago, I think the damage of more than 2 decades of it are showing up.  I have dislocated my left shoulder at least 3 times and one of the combat sports I did I ran, jumped and pushed against large opponents while wearing about 65 pounds of armor 3 times a week for 12 years. Also I was taking Tae Kwon Do and had progressed to Black Belt candidate all while weighing in at about 300 + pounds so all the jumping twisting etc. probably didn't help.  So, while I am not making excuses nor regretting the games I used to play, I do believe I am experiencing some of the blowback.  I am going to continue working on my flexibility and doing what I can to strengthen the muscles around the knees, as well as continue doing the shoulder work as long as I can.   If the knees get worse, or show no improvement in the next month I will breakdown and go see a doctor.   I know one of the reasons I am not going to a doctor now is I do not want to be told I should not continue I the gym as I am really enjoying it and know it is what I need to do, as well as the fear that I am going to be told that I have arthritis in my knees and probably other joints due to extreme abuse of them through my life.

What is the consensus on doing leg press, leg extensions and leg curls as a stop gap measure while I try to re-habilitate my knees so I can do squats?  I am still doing wall squats daily and while it hurts to do them, I can do them.

EDIT:  Found the Sheet

THOR! ODIN!  WITNESS!

Sunday

Bench press ( 5 Sets)

1. 40 kg ( 88 lb) 15 reps
  2. 50kg (110 lb).12 reps
  3. 60 kg (135 lb) 10 reps
  4. 70 kg (155 lb) 8 reps
  5. 80 kg (176 lb) 4 reps

Deadlifts ( 5 Sets) Working on Form

1. 60 kg ( 135 lb) 15 reps
  2. 60kg (135 lb).15 reps
  3. 60 kg (135 lb) 15 reps
  4. 60 kg (135 lb) 15 reps
  5. 60 kg (135 lb) 15 reps

Chin ups to failure ( 3 sets)

used 80 kg helper weight ( 180lb)

Close Grip Bench press ( 5 Sets)

1. 30 kg ( 66 lb) 15 reps
  2. 40kg (88 lb).12 reps
  3. 45 kg (100 lb) 10 reps
  4. 50 kg (110 lb) 8 reps
  5. 70 kg (155 lb) 2 reps

Tricep Push downs with rope (3 sets to failure)

20 kg ( 45 lb) lowest set was final set did 15 reps

THOR!  ODIN!  WITNESS!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

while u have a bit more mileage, i ain't no spring chicken either and my judo years have left their mark. So here's my 2cents:

1) Knee pain doing squats - do you get pain in the knees squatting ass-to-grass? video yourself doing squats from a couple of angles (can be air squats) - how is the shin angle and how the knee/feet tracking? If you are doing everything correctly (using both knee and hip flexion/extension; fair vertical shin angle; feet/knee tracking and pointing outwards some) and there is still pain... then my personal take is that you should probably not load the squats and just do regressions in fact (e.g. rocking on quadruped position to mimic the squat movement until you find a "painless" groove). Why not use the machines? I think the LEG PRESS is good - while you are not struggling with basic strength I think it is a reasonable substitution especially if you can do deadlifts in conjunction. Leg extensions are not knee-friendly. Hamstring Curls machine -  again I think a Glute/Ham machine will be superior. 

2) Deadlift positioning... try sumo? Might/might not help so start light. 

3) Military Press - what worked for me (again, YMMV) was doing Turkish Getups. TGUs are really amazing shoulder fixers and you get strong doing them too. Downside: can be difficult to make progressions due to big jumps in Kettlebell weights. 

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

1 hour ago, godjira1 said:

while u have a bit more mileage, i ain't no spring chicken either and my judo years have left their mark. So here's my 2cents:

1) Knee pain doing squats - do you get pain in the knees squatting ass-to-grass? video yourself doing squats from a couple of angles (can be air squats) - how is the shin angle and how the knee/feet tracking? If you are doing everything correctly (using both knee and hip flexion/extension; fair vertical shin angle; feet/knee tracking and pointing outwards some) and there is still pain... then my personal take is that you should probably not load the squats and just do regressions in fact (e.g. rocking on quadruped position to mimic the squat movement until you find a "painless" groove). Why not use the machines? I think the LEG PRESS is good - while you are not struggling with basic strength I think it is a reasonable substitution especially if you can do deadlifts in conjunction. Leg extensions are not knee-friendly. Hamstring Curls machine -  again I think a Glute/Ham machine will be superior. 

2) Deadlift positioning... try sumo? Might/might not help so start light. 

3) Military Press - what worked for me (again, YMMV) was doing Turkish Getups. TGUs are really amazing shoulder fixers and you get strong doing them too. Downside: can be difficult to make progressions due to big jumps in Kettlebell weights. 

Hey Godjira.  thanks for stopping by.

I get the pain at just about parallel, and have not tried going into paddy squat yet.  It also hurts on the way up until I am in  horse stance.  Unfortunately, where I lift is a military base with a strict no camera policy, so getting video may be tough, my phone has no camera lol.  I will talk to a couple friends and see if they have one.  

I will try the Turkish getups, I can use a 5 kg weight with the handle hole to try it.  I am worried on two fronts.  One I don't know if my left shoulder, the one that makes noises and hurts, will support me when it is time for the off hand.  the other issue is not sure about the knee issues.  I will try it though and if it is not excruciating, Ill do it.  Do you recommend the same routine as Military press, 5 sets counting down and increasing in weight?

Tomorrow is Deadlift Tuesday, not as tasty as taco Tuesday but much more satisfying.  I will give the Sumo a try.  My work out buddy is younger(31) and a bit smaller than me.  About 6 foot (182 cm) and about 190 lbs (86 kg) and I blow him up on weights that I can isolate away from my knee.  I now the power is still there, albeit reduced.  In the shoulders and curls, I am two full upgrades ahead of him, even with bad shoulder.  I am not competing with him just frustrated because I am helping him with form and such and I am standing there being a weight changer.

Well thanks for the ideas.  I am going t post up todays work out and go back and fix yesterdays. I found the sheet.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nightjarprod/content/uploads/2014/05/gmat.jpg

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR!  ODIN!

The Temple of Fe, was a Temple of Pain and frustration today.  I felt weak and pushed hard, but still had the same limitations that have plagued me since the beginning.

Monday

Squats 5 sets ( I subbed Leg Press)

1. 70 kg (155 lb). 15 reps
  2. 90 kg (200 lb). 12 reps
  3. 100 kg (220 lb).12 reps
  4. 150 kg (330 lb). 10 reps
  5. 170 kg (375 lb)  10 reps

Military Press 5 sets 

1. 20 kg (45 lb). 15 reps
  2. 22.5 kg (50 lb). 12 reps
  3. 30 kg (66 lb).10 reps
  4. 35 kg (77 lb). 8 reps
  5. 55 kg (121 lb)  5 reps

Scott Press 3 sets ( 8 to 12 reps)

1. 4 kg (9 lb). 12 reps
  2. 6 kg (13 lb). 12 reps
  3. 8 kg (17 lb).12 reps

Barbell Curl 5 sets 

2. 25 kg (55 lb). 12 reps
  3. 30 kg (66 lb).10 reps
  4. 35 kg (77 lb). 9 reps
  5. 45kg (100 lb)  5 reps

Just felt weak today.  Scot presses I could have done 10 kg, had it in my hand and on first rep left shoulder gave out, finished with 8 kg weights.  Weight wasn't the problem it was stability in left shoulder.  Leg press was good, machine only goes to 220 kg (485 lb). I know only right, I think I will hit that in a couple of weeks.  I did find a Standing leg press machine like I have never seem before that takes free weights.  I would say it is a type of squat machine but the angle is off.  It has foot rests at about 30 degrees from floor and you drive the weight up at an angle like a leg press but you stand in it.  May see if that will take pressure off my knees some and try it.    Over all I am worn out.  My legs are sore, my shoulder hurts, and I could almost not get off the toilet due to leg fatigue lol.  

The temple exacted tribute today.  It's Hammer Time!

ODIN! ODIN! ODIN!

4143D35Y18L._AC_UL320_SR234,320_.jpg

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR!  ODIN! WITNESS!

Good gym day.  Felt pretty good except for hamstrings they are screaming from yesterdays session on the leg press.

Tuesday

Bench press ( 5 Sets)

1. 50 kg ( 110 lb) 15 reps
  2. 60kg (135 lb).12 reps
  3. 60 kg (135 lb) 7 reps
  4. 70 kg (155 lb) 6 reps
  5. 80 kg (175 lb) 2 reps

Deadlifts ( 5 Sets) Working on Form

1. 60 kg ( 135 lb) 5 reps
  2. 60 kg (135 lb).5 reps
  3. 80 kg (175 lb) 5 reps
  4. 100 kg (220 lb) 5 reps
  5. 120 kg (265 lb) 3 reps

Close Grip Bench press ( 5 Sets)

1. 45 kg ( 100 lb) 15 reps
  2. 50 kg (110 lb).12 reps
  3. 55 kg (120 lb) 10 reps
  4. 60 kg (135 lb) 8 reps
  5. 75 kg (165 lb) 4 reps

Neck Bridge ( Wall bridge can't do neck bridge yet)

3 sets 10 second holds each.

Getting stronger.  I can feel it and see it.  I am noticing that I am not having the stamina I had previously.  I am wondering if I am getting enough rest an eating enough.  I know fat boy trying to reduce fat n body worried about eating enough. but I think I might be a little short.

ODIN!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

11 hours ago, Hazard said:

You just trained full-body three days in a row.

Yeah well, now that you point it out I see the point lol.  Today is rest day.  Ideally it would be two days lift one day off two days lift then weekend.  but Wednesday is a off schedule for us, instead of 8 hours we work 11.  So we elected to take Wednesday off.  I am also noticing I am not eating enough.  I thought I went crazy and I did on dinner last night but I still only put down 1850 calories for the day.  I am going to lay off the intermittent fasting a little and see what happens when I bump my calories up by 400 to 2200 to 2500 a day.  On a positive note, I am having less soreness, except for my hamstrings they are still killing me today lol.  But I did the same to my biceps last week and saw huge gains and no pain in last two arm sessions.  Thanks for pointing out the obvious reason I may feel less stamina lol.  Funny working the system three days in a row might have an affect.

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

ODIN!

Rest Day.

Need it.  I am upping my eating today, total calories with same make up.  I am going to go to bed early.  I pulled out my old steel re-enforced knee brace that I used to use for armored combat, and will try that tomorrow.  Maybe the extra support will allow me to do more.

Felt like going to the gym today , but with the late work day and it supposed to be rest day.  morning ritual was all that I did.    Ribeywe Steak, with Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts for dinner.  Might crack open a nice bier too.

THOR!  ODIN!  Recovery Please.

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Well back to the gym today, and I'm going to crush it.  I have a three day off after this due to a mandatory meeting on Sunday that will preclude a gym session.  So Make it BURN!

Today is also weigh in day.  I am perplexed.  I weigh exactly the same as I did 2 weeks ago.  I guess it is possible that I have put on a kilo or so of muscle in two weeks, but frustrating lol.  I have noticed that I do not have the loose skin I was seeing on my forearms prior to going in the gym.  also my muscles don't seem bigger but firmer.  I am not worried as weight is not my major metric, just one that I would like to see go down lol.  I have already had to take a pair of pants to the tailor to be altered down, and I am about to need a new belt due to lack of holes, in the smaller direction.  Ok enough pity party.  If my proportions stay as they are and I meet my goals I guess that is ok.  I will have a 48 inch waist and 68 inch chest lol.

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Sorry for the delay.  had to get vehicle from dealership after workout, and then had full weekend.  Now updating.

ODIN!  THOR!

It was LEG DAY!

Squats, Leg press instead

1. 90 kg (200 lb). 15 reps
  2. 100 kg (220 lb). 12 reps
  3. 150 kg (330 lb).12 reps
  4. 170 kg (375 lb). 10 reps
  5. 190 kg (420 lb)  10 reps

Military Press 5 sets 

Failed to complete at all.  Left shoulder failed.  Decided to take off until next shoulder day see if it heals up.

Dumbell Lat raise 3 sets ( 8 to 12 reps)

1. 8 kg (17 lb). 12 reps
  2. 10 kg (25 lb). 12 reps
  3. 10 kg (25 lb).12 reps

Barbell Curl 5 sets (Preacher curls)

2. 20 kg (45 lb). 12 reps
  3. 22.5 kg (50 lb).10 reps
  4. 25 kg (55 lb). 9 reps
  5. 28.5kg (65 lb)  5 reps

Calf raises ( Using smith machine and step box) 3 sets to failure

1. 30 kg (66 lb). 15 reps
  2. 30 kg (66 lb). 15 reps
  3. 30 kg (66 lb). 15 reps

Well it was a good work out and the pace was frantic.  Had to get to dealership before they closed.  We completed this workout in 55 mins.  I started the leg presses before my partner got to the gym, so little help there.  

No muscle aches for rest of day and none the next however 2 nd day calf pain was present and was rough.  third day, today still there and the stair in my house look like I am going to stay with Bill's sensei.

THOR!  ODIN!

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

I just watched a great video with a guy named David Goggins.  It is a bit foul but this guy has some great things to say and is very inspirational, at least to me.  I tink I am going to make a personal cookie jar.

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Thor!  ODIN!

Workout for Monday!

Squats, Leg press instead

1. 100 kg (200 lb). 15 reps
  2. 130 kg (220 lb). 12 reps
  3. 160 kg (330 lb).12 reps
  4. 180 kg (375 lb). 10 reps
  5. 200 kg (420 lb)  10 reps

Military Press 5 sets 

1. 20 kg ( 45 lb) 15 reps
  2. 25 kg (55 lb) 12 reps
  3. 35 kg (77 lb) 10 reps
  4. 40 kg (90 lb) 8 reps

Dumbell Lat raise 3 sets ( 8 to 12 reps)

1. 8 kg (17 lb). 12 reps
  2. 10 kg (25 lb). 12 reps
  3. 10 kg (25 lb).12 reps

dumbbell Curl 5 sets (Preacher curls) done to fail

1. 8 kg (17.5 lb).
  2. 10 kg (22 lb).
  3. 10 kg (22 lb).
  4. 8 kg (17.5 lb).
  5. 8 kg (17.5 lb)  

Calf raises ( Using seated calf machine) 3 sets of 15

1. 35 kg (77 lb). 15 reps
  2. 50 kg (110 lb). 15 reps
  3. 65 kg (145 lb). 15 reps

Good lift.  Felt tired.  Today I am planning to go at the lift and get angry.  Push hard.

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Tuesday Lift.

ODIN! THOR!

Good day in the temple.  Actually had a couple of the regulars comment on how my partner and I have changed the tone in the gym for the better.  we are focused, dedicated and motivating.  We still keep it fun but work.  Felt good to hear that.  Especially from guys that are bigger and have been in the temple longer.

anyway, crappy format but here are the numbers:

Bench Press   30kg  50kg  60kg  70kg  80kg (5)

Dead Lift   60kg  70kg  80kg  100kg  110kg (All 5)

Close Grip Bench  30kg  40kg  50kg  60kg  80kg (3)

Triceps ( Suicides/ Skull crushers)  17.5kg (15x2)  8kg (15) 10kg (15) 12kg (15)

ODIN! ODIN! ODIN!

LEG DAY TODAY!

Partner and I have decided we are going to try and do 5 days a week.  I know don't over train blah ,blah.  I want to try it.  I find I am missing the gym on the days we don't go. 

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

THOR! ODIN! LEG DAY!

Well today was the first day of modified work out.  So here it goes.

Squats ( I did leg press)

5 sets of 5 to find todays max weight.

1. 70 kg 5 reps
  2. 100 kg 5 reps
  3. 150 kg 5 reps
  4. 170 kg 5 reps
  5. 200 kg 5 reps 

Then 10 singles at 90% max

did all at 180 kg.

I feel confident I could have done much more but the machine only goes to 200 kg.  I am trying to rehab my knee so I am setting the seat down to the point I am doing a full squat but not vertically.  It does seem to be helping so I am going t continue. with it.  I just want to start SQUATING.  I used to Love squats, I miss them.

Front Push Press

This was a new exercise for us so we just did it with the bar at first and stayed light.  

1. 20 kg 5 reps
  2. 30 kg 5 reps
  3. 30 kg 5 reps
  4. 30 kg 5 reps
  5. 30 kg 5 reps

then we did 5 singles and bumped it to 40 kg.  Both my partner and I felt them a little but agreed next time we are going to move the weight up and make sure form is right but get more out of it.

Scot Presses

3 sets of 12

1. 8 kg 12 reps
  2. 10 kg 12 reps
  3. 12 kg 12 reps

Calf raises ( used smith machine and step box) these were 3 sets to failure.

1. 60 kg average 12 reps

Farmer walk.  3 sets to fail.

I used 32 kg dumbbells and my partner thought this would be easy until the second set lol.

Pull ups  3 sets to failure.

Got 10 out by myself using 100kg helper, I feel bad but damnit I am getting stronger.

Stayed at 100 kg and was able to bang out two more sets to 8, last rep of last set partner had to give me a hand to chin it.

that was the workout.  Felt good.  Could have gone harder on the new exercises but prudence will pay off.  Feeling some muscle fatigue in general and that is good.  I haven't felt that in a couple of workouts.  Looking forward to tomorrow doing another gym session.

ODIN!

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

FRYES DAY!

GYM DAY,

THOR!  ODIN! WITNESS!

Today is normally an off day but with the increase to 5 days a week it is a GYM DAY!

got to the gym, it was empty not even the people with the keys were there.  No AC no lights on just daylight coming in the windows.  Got the temple Of Fe soundtrack going and got to work!

Today reminded me of a time long ago when I first started lifting in the summer of 1983.  I worked out at a place in Tallahassee Fl. Called Harv's gym.  It was a warehouse converted to a gym.  The only cooling was the open garage door and the hurricane fans.  It had free weights and old universal machine and some leg press.  It was in a word old school.  The gym was run by Harv a former player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  I was a big baseball player and pitcher.  I had been told I needed to get in the gym and build my legs so I could get more power on my fastball.  So I was in the gym.  Harv, worked with me and told me that strong legs were great and would help with what I was looking to do but, I should work everything.  If I got stronger overall, I would be even better.  those were great days.  I would hit the gym, it was always about 95 F ( 35 C) in the gym and I would get soaked working.  Had a goal, I was driven that I was going to make varsity baseball on my high school team as a freshman.  I went to the gym, I ran, I went to the cages and hit, I cycled through a couple of friends to throw with cause I would wear them out lol.  I got bigger.  I was no monster but I got dense.  I was doing both high rep and high weight sets.  I was doing low rep high weight to get strength and then later in the week I would do high rep low weight to build endurance.  that and I was a 13 year old male, well it worked.  Today, I walked in that hot gym, did a quick stretch and loosening set and I felt great.  I had a smile on my face and I had a goal in my mind.  I knew why I am going to the gym.  It is not to make varsity baseball, it is not so I can look good on the beach, my wife loves me how I am now, I am in the gym, which I call the temple, because today I remembered that it is not the place that is the temple, it is that I am the temple.  I am the place that it counts.  It is inside me, that the strength comes.  I can go to any place that has iron or heavy things and lift them and put them down.  The central key is me.  The weights do not care, the building doesn't care if I am there or not.  It is the decision that I need to rebuild my temple.  I need to honor myself so I can show I honor others and God.  So Here it is, here is todays workout.  AND WHOA! It was a doozy.

Dumbell Bench Press 5 sets.  

16 kg 15 reps

18 kg 12 reps

20 kg 10 reps

22 kg 8 reps

26 kg 4 reps

Suitcase Deadlift ( We ran into a problem, no chalk, no gloves and we were losing the bar to slippage so stayed at one weight)

5 sets 5 reps

60 kg 5 reps per side

60 kg 5 reps per side

60 kg 5 reps per side

60 kg 5 reps per side

60 kg 5 reps per side

Reverse grits's Bench Press ( first time doing this so started low)

5 sets increasing weight

20 kg 15 reps

30 kg 12 reps

35 kg 10 reps

40 kg 8 reps

60 kg 5 reps

Could probably done higher weight but wanted to make sure of excise before going up.

Standing Dumb bell Hammer curls

5 sets 12 reps each

6 kg 12 reps

8 kg 12 reps

10 kg 12 reps

12 kg 12 reps

16 kg 20 reps

Neck Bridge ( wall walk can't do full bridge yet but getting closer)

3 sets 30 second hold

Reverse Crunch straight leg

3 sets of 15

Last set could only get 10 out.  Partner did last set with pushdowns from me as well.  

Over all was great workout.  We were both dripping with seat, heart rate up and pumped.  I am looking forward to tomorrow.  Normally Saturday is rest, but we have anther mandatory meeting on Sunday afternoon, so instead of missing a workout again this week, happened last week too.  I am going to get it in tomorrow and take Sunday off.

THOR! ODIN!

22276hm.jpg

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Well I did a weigh in this morning.  I am very disappointed.  I have not gained any weight but I have been the same weight now for a month.  My Nutrition is good, my calories indicate that I should be losing weight, at about 2 kg a week, but I am staying the same, within half a pound.  I guess it is possible that I am building muscle but I am not seeing it.  Just hoping that I would have something to report.  Something that would let me know I am on the right path.  I will continue as I am, and hope that it will tip into the weight loss side soon.

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

It could be your BMR is just lower than estimated for your height/weight. Just drop 200-300 calories off your daily avg calories for 2 weeks and see if that works. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

I was already running 200 to 500 below my BMR up until 2 weeks ago. I was so hungry it was all I cold think about and had no energy.   I am just bummed because I thought I would see the sale telling me what my clothes are.  I know I am losing weight, or whatever just not seeing it.  I find it hard to believe that I am gaining 2 kg ( 4 lbs) of muscle each week bt it appears to be what is happening.  That is the kind of calorie deficit I am running each week, based on BMR.

Thor! ODIN! WITNESS!

I had a great Gym day today.  

Leg Press ( Full Squat Position)

1. 70 kg 15 reps
  2. 100 kg 12 reps
  3. 140 kg 10 reps
  4. 140 kg 8 reps
  5. 180 kg 8 reps

Front Push Press

1. 40 kg 5 reps
  2. 45 kg 5 reps
  3. 50 kg 5 reps
  4. 52.5 kg 5 reps
  5. 52.5 kg 5 reps

Then 10 singles at 55 kg

Scot Press

1. 10 kg 15 reps
  2. 12 kg 12 reps
  3. 14 kg 10 reps

Standing Calf raises

1. 60 kg 12 reps
  2. 60 kg 12 reps
  3. 60 kg 12 reps

Side rows

1. 32 kg. 10 reps
  2. 34kg 10 reps
  3. 36 kg 10 reps

Went to see the orthopedist abut my shoulder today.  It was as expected.  recommends I not do any lifting for 3 to 4 weeks, no raising my arm above my shoulder, no resistance on that shoulder, so no bench press, no. deadlifts, no military press, no curls no really anything that uses my arm.  I am going to go tho the physical therapist, but I am not going to stop lifting.  My shoulder has been getting better of the last two weeks, I am just going to use very light weights but I have to work it.  I can't stop, I am afraid if I stop I will fall back into the old habit of not working out at all.  All I need is an excuse and this is a compelling one.  I had a fantastic workout today.  Yes my shoulder pained me a bit, but it didn't fail on me today as it did a week ago.

I am being stubborn and possibly stupid but I got to push on.  

THOR!  ODIN!  

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

As for your weight, sometimes the scale isn't the best tool. Measuring in inches can help you get a good idea of what is happening.  Also noticing how your clothes fit, are they getting looser where they should be?  Taking pictures is another good way to gauge progress.  Like you said with the scale, if you gain muscle than it can be hard to say how much wight you are losing.

Shoulder, eek,  that's worrisome. Taking time off now might be a pain, but if you really injure yourself, then you might have to take longer to heal. You could still do leg exercise. ANd your physical therapist is going to give you shoulder exercises. Maybe make your goal to rehab your shoulder. Talk to your physical therapist about the idea of possibly lifting lighter weights, sometimes therapists  have a broader view of what you can do then orthopedists

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

As for your weight, sometimes the scale isn't the best tool. Measuring in inches can help you get a good idea of what is happening.  Also noticing how your clothes fit, are they getting looser where they should be?  Taking pictures is another good way to gauge progress.  Like you said with the scale, if you gain muscle than it can be hard to say how much wight you are losing.

Shoulder, eek,  that's worrisome. Taking time off now might be a pain, but if you really injure yourself, then you might have to take longer to heal. You could still do leg exercise. ANd your physical therapist is going to give you shoulder exercises. Maybe make your goal to rehab your shoulder. Talk to your physical therapist about the idea of possibly lifting lighter weights, sometimes therapists  have a broader view of what you can do then orthopedists

I am using photos, and how my clothes fit.  I am waiting for a tape measure to be delivered, I ordered it 3 weeks ago, in transit it says.  I got several mentions today from the soldiers I work with that I look to them like I have lost a lot of weight and look more muscular.  So There is that.  

The Shoulder, well, I am just getting into the workouts now, and I take your meaning.  I am planning to lower the weight I am doing on shoulder exercises, but keep going.  I am going to incorporate Rotator Cuff rehab into my work out, but I am going to Curacao in December for my 10th anniversary, and I am determined to not be either harpooned or driven back into the sea to swim with my pod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Willy_(TV_series)#/media/File:Free_Willy_(TV_series).jpg

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists