• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bookish Badger

Bookish Circles Around Again

This challenge will be all about foundation habits.

Foundation habits are those that support the "big three" of health: Nutrition, Exercise, and Sleep. Eating well makes it easier to exercise. Exercise contributes to good sleep. Good sleep makes it easier to make good food (and other) choices the next day. And so the "virtuous circle" goes. 

I'm adding Work to my virtuous circle, because the excessive free time of unemployment is not how I want to support my sleep, exercise, and nutrition!

Nutrition:

Eat LCHF daily. The goal is to get into and stay in ketosis. Each day that I eat as planned is 1/7th of a Light Armor point. 

Exercises:

Walk daily. I've been doing this one for a challenge or two and I'm pretty consistent with it. One Athletics point for every week that I walk at least 6 days out of 7.

Bodyweight workouts, 2x per week. NF Academy, Darebees, or whatever I feel like doing as long as it has a few sets of squats, pushups, planks, etc. Each BW workout is worth 1/2 Blade point.

Yoga sun salutations, 2x per week. 1/2 Acrobatics point per workout.

Sleep:

Pre-bed routine, including gratitude journal, nightly. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on my sleep (finally), but I want to make sure it's still a priority. 1 Restoration point for every week that I do the routine at least 5 nights out of 7.

Work:

Daily Top Three Tasks*: identify the most important tasks I must accomplish that day in my Hobonichi planner. Each day that I complete the tasks on my list is worth 1/5 Alteration point.

Top Three Project Tasks: For the top three side-projects on my plate, document the next small step I need to take on each one to move the project forward. Each day that I complete these tasks earns 1/5 of an Alteration point.

*This habit was taken from The Procrastination Project. It is intended to help keep one's focus on those things that produce results instead of disappearing into endless rounds of email and meetings. I've adapted the idea for those projects that don't have a hard deadline but that I can't just ignore forever.

Anyone interested in the odd colors and wacky point system can get more info in my Battle Log and points chart in my signature. :) Yes, I'm a bit of an Elder Scrolls geek. 

Yep, I literally just copied and pasted from my old challenge which I callously abandoned about a week in. I thought about starting a new challenge, then thought about waiting for the next challenge, then decided that any step I take is better than nothing, so here I am. Again. Sort of. I think.

• Like 7

Glad to see you back. Sorry trouble found you so well. I hope more smooth sailing and clear blue skies (if you like that) are in your foreseeable future.

• Like 4

We are glad to have you back. I hope things are better now.  Life can be a pain when it decides it wants to get in the way of things.

Good luck with the new challenge and I hope you can make the spiral/circle go in good direction instead of the bad direction.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I thought about starting a new challenge, then thought about waiting for the next challenge, then decided that any step I take is better than nothing, so here I am. Again. Sort of. I think.

Welcome back! It's good to take it one step at a time. I had the most success ever when I came in for a partial challenge halfway through, and although there've been some ups and downs, I've kind of been on a roll ever since? So I'm very much in favor of coming in part-way through and just doing what you can. ;) You got this, Badger! 

• Like 5

That awkward moment where you post a challenge and then immediately forget what you're supposed to be doing...

At least today I'll eat keto, if only by virtue of intending to buy lunch, then forgetting my purse and having to rely on my stockpile of protein bars/shakes in my desk!

Unrelated: my 2018 Hobonichi is on its way! I've never anticipated the arrival of next year's planner so much, so early. I debated whether to get a new cover or make my old one last another year - it's undamaged but getting grubby. In the end, I decided to get a new cover (new shiny! :wub:) and experiment with the old one as a cover for blank A6 notebooks so I can have a supplementary bujo.

On the horizon for the rest of the year and 2018: monthly meal planning (tip 13 in the list). Given that my weekly meal plans typically get abandoned by Tuesday, this is going to be a stretch. But also given how much I hate/dread (hread? drate?) meal planning at all, doing it 12 times a year instead of 52 sounds appealing. Research is warranted.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

But also given how much I hate/dread (hread? drate?) meal planning at all, doing it 12 times a year instead of 52 sounds appealing

Why do you hate/dread meal planning?  Is it that you can't think of what you like to eat?  Or you get bogged down with details?  When I first started meal planning, I made a spreadsheet (!) of all the mains I like, and another sheet of all the veggie sides.  But even now, when meal planning is second nature, I sometimes swap the days or meals around.

• Like 4

We plan meals, but so much changes we always put a "Punt/Pizza" night in for that "Oh something came up, dinner didn't get made" whatever. It helps some, but its better than nothing.

I hate meal planning too, mostly since we get "fooded out" occasionally and don't want anything, but don;t want to try anything either. I keep meaning to make a spreadsheet of meals, but I keep forgetting to do so.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Why do you hate/dread meal planning?  Is it that you can't think of what you like to eat?  Or you get bogged down with details?

All of the above. Mostly, it's the sitting down and doing it (a common refrain in my life and one I'm getting very tired of). 

What it comes down to, I think, is blocking out the time - like, "8am-10am every Sunday: Meal Planning" then not letting myself do anything else until I've got it done. That's what I've got set for tomorrow, anyway. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

What it comes down to, I think, is blocking out the time - like, "8am-10am every Sunday: Meal Planning"

OK, I see where you've been going wrong! ;)

The secret to successful meal planningis to do it as a procrastination activity when working (or studying) :D Give it a few minutes here and there, and Robert's your father's brother!  You get to fantasise about your favourite meals in the middle of a boring workday...  Win-win!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2017 at 9:44 AM, Vibrantella said:

OK, I see where you've been going wrong! ;)

The secret to successful meal planningis to do it as a procrastination activity when working (or studying) :D Give it a few minutes here and there, and Robert's your father's brother!  You get to fantasise about your favourite meals in the middle of a boring workday...  Win-win!

See, this would be smart. I may have to have a keep note in my phone so I can write a list of "I want this for dinner" and hten make a menu off that. Too bad what I can think of to start with takes longer than we have most nights. BUt its a start

• Like 3

No update ("whaaat challenge, LOL?") tho I have been walking every day; there's that at least. So I'm posting a mini-book review instead.

Just finished reading Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy. It's a book of strategies for overcoming procrastination. I recommend it. There's nothing new or groundbreaking here, just solid, concise methods for getting shi-*cough*-stuff done.

The good news is that if you're looking for actionable strategies without a lot of introspection and handwringing over "why oh why am I like this??" then you'll find it here. (Don't get me wrong, introspection is a great thing but sooner or later you've got to DO something already. This book gives plenty of somethings to do.)

The bad news is that if you like reading books about procrastination as a way to procrastinate on doing something about your procrastination (not me of course :barbershop_quartet_) then this book will be too short for your purposes. I think I read it cover to cover in a couple of hours.

Up next: I'm looking forward to The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had, by Susan Wise Bauer. The library has it on hold for me and I'll pick it up this weekend. I'm also reading Don't Make Me Think! by Steve Krug. It's a book on web design, which I'm reading to learn more about UX design in general.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Meal planning makes my life so much easier, I love to hear that others are doing it too. Just in case you guys have never heard of this, there's a free website/app out there called Copy Me That which has become the one thing I credit for my continued success in meal planning. It just makes it so easy.

I manipulate the system a little, but it makes it easier and then I stick to it. For example, when I add a recipe, I put in a recipe with sides, so I just have to add one recipe to the grocery list and meal plan and I know I'll have a well balanced meal. I also cheat with the sides and go with easy/processed foods if I have to. Here's the recipe for one of our recent favorites:

Miso-Glazed Salmon 

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons miso (soybean paste)
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 bag of 90 second rice or grain
1 frozen edamame
1 can peaches, light syrup

The best part is that now that it's in there, I can do meal planning and grocery list planning in like 30 minutes. And since it's an app, I have had my daughter download it, and we can work it together, and she can do the shopping as one of her chores, but I can still be sure we're getting good healthy meals in.

I've also cheated by making recipes for things we buy all the time, one per person, one for toiletries, one for medicines and one for random stuff. I just add each of them, review the list, remove what we don't need and I'm on my way. It makes life so much easier. 

If you don't like meal planning, this makes it a lot easier... they consolidate all the items from your recipes into a single list, and sort the like items together so you don't have to do that part, it all just happens magically. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2017 at 9:52 AM, Bookish Badger said:

No update ("whaaat challenge, LOL?") tho I have been walking every day; there's that at least. So I'm posting a mini-book review instead.

Just finished reading Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy. It's a book of strategies for overcoming procrastination. I recommend it. There's nothing new or groundbreaking here, just solid, concise methods for getting shi-*cough*-stuff done.

The good news is that if you're looking for actionable strategies without a lot of introspection and handwringing over "why oh why am I like this??" then you'll find it here. (Don't get me wrong, introspection is a great thing but sooner or later you've got to DO something already. This book gives plenty of somethings to do.)

The bad news is that if you like reading books about procrastination as a way to procrastinate on doing something about your procrastination (not me of course :barbershop_quartet_) then this book will be too short for your purposes. I think I read it cover to cover in a couple of hours.

Up next: I'm looking forward to The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had, by Susan Wise Bauer. The library has it on hold for me and I'll pick it up this weekend. I'm also reading Don't Make Me Think! by Steve Krug. It's a book on web design, which I'm reading to learn more about UX design in general.

Oh, that sounds useful. I should check if the library has a copy. (Then maybe I'll stop procrastinating on getting a library card.)

• Like 1

I love your book reviews. They are so well thought out.

And the comic.. That is adorable. I always did want to hear more about Hufflepuff, but the books gloss over them and Ravenclaw a bit.,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I love your book reviews. They are so well thought out.

Aww, thank you! :wub: Writing them helps me process my thoughts about the books so the ideas stick better. Plus I really enjoy reading other people's posts about books they're reading and why they like them (or not), so it seems only fair to write a few of my own.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Aww, thank you! :wub: Writing them helps me process my thoughts about the books so the ideas stick better. Plus I really enjoy reading other people's posts about books they're reading and why they like them (or not), so it seems only fair to write a few of my own.

Welcome. I never think to write my own reviews, So it is refreshing to read reviews about books I probably wouldn't look at on my own. But I have read a few reviews of yours that make me considering if I can find a copy. So thank you for doing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still alive, y'all. I've decided to formally take a break from the forums (instead of just avoiding them as I have been doing), get my head sorted, and come back next challenge. The next Zero Week starts just a few days after my birthday (the big 5-0, yikes! how'd that happen?!) So it seems a good time to jump back in.

Incidental updates like new book reviews and silly Hufflepuff comics will go in my Battle Log until then.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2017 at 1:03 PM, Bookish Badger said:

I'm still alive, y'all. I've decided to formally take a break from the forums (instead of just avoiding them as I have been doing), get my head sorted, and come back next challenge. The next Zero Week starts just a few days after my birthday (the big 5-0, yikes! how'd that happen?!) So it seems a good time to jump back in.

Incidental updates like new book reviews and silly Hufflepuff comics will go in my Battle Log until then.

I wanted to let you know I did see this, I just was not logged in at work and forgot to come over after I got home. I hope the break helps and you feel more sorted and recharged when you come back for the next challenge.

I would stop by the battle log and say Hi, but generally I forget to look outside the rebel forum for posts. I know I have that whole "Things I follow" list, but I forget to check it. *blush*

So HI nad hopefully see you next challenge.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Bookish Badger said:

The next Zero Week starts just a few days after my birthday

Hey, I just realised it was your birthday a few days ago!  Belated best wishes! :D   Now's a good time to set a new challenge, maybe? ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2017 at 3:57 AM, Vibrantella said:

Hey, I just realised it was your birthday a few days ago!  Belated best wishes! :D

On 11/24/2017 at 5:58 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Happy belated birthday.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:48 PM, Dagger said:

Happy belated birthday! :D

Belated thank-yous to you all! I was out of town and updating via mobile is such a pain.

On 11/24/2017 at 3:57 AM, Vibrantella said:

Now's a good time to set a new challenge, maybe? ;) 

On it!

Here's my new challenge:

• Like 3