Hello! My name is Angela and I am here because I have lived the last few years of my life in a way that led to me packing on around 50 lbs. Whoops!

Backstory

I started at a stressful job around 3 years ago and moved to a even more stressful job 7 months ago. I was laid off and was devastated. After about a month and a half of funemployment, I started working again at a place earning less money, but also with much less stress. It is a job with the state, which means great benefits and job stability (at least in my state it does). I feel such an unexpected and palpable sense of relief after starting this job. I didn't realize what my previous jobs were doing to my body and my mind. I also got married and bought a house in the last three years, so it's not all bad, but I feel like I haven't had any mental space to focus on my physical and emotional well-being in some time. I have the opportunity to change things though, and I'm hoping by yelling them into the void here it will help keep me accountable to myself.

I don't want to lose weight to look better, although that will be a nice benefit. I wish to be healthy and live forever (obvs) and at my current state of obesity, that is going to be a tough sell. We are also thinking about having children in the not-so-distant future, and the better health I can be in at the start of my hopeful pregnancy, the better. I want to be able to lift things and have healthy muscles and bones. I used to run long distance and would like to get back to doing that on a regular basis, though I'd like to lose some of the weight before doing that for the sake of my bones. I also love yoga and hiking. These are things that make me feel better both mentally and physically. I'd like to incorporate them when I can.

Stats

Height: 5'9"

Starting (and current) Weight: 245

Long-term Goal Weight: 170

Plan

Lifting: I will be following this workout plan. While the intermediate category doesn't really apply to me at this point, I'm planning on starting on the higher end of the reps. The big bonus in this plan for me is the split in body chains so I am able to do some running/walking as well without squatting/deadlifting every single workout (only most!). Scheduled days for this are M/W/F. 

Run/Walking: One the days my office does not have a yoga class over lunch, I will be walking as weather permits. On T/Th, I would like to run/walk with my doggo before or after work for about 30/40 mins if it's nice-ish out instead of slogging on a treadmill.

Yoga: My office holds 45 min yoga classes over lunch on W/F with live teachers. I will be going to these as I am able assuming it's not super awkward.

Hiking: I would like to establish a longer endurance activity on the weekend, with bonus points if the dog can be involved. I'd like to get back into hiking, but as the winter approaches, that will likely be at a minimum. Long walks, long runs, etc. We'll see what feels good.

Nutrition: I am tracking on MFP (friend me!) and striving for ~30% protein. It's a work in progress.

giphy.gif

Lvl 1 Ranger

Current Challenge: Workin' On My Night Cheese

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence. 

THURSDAY 9/28

tenor.gif

Tuesday Workout

Goblet squats: 20x10, 30x10, 40x10
Lunges: BWx10, BWx10
Romanian Deadlift: 45x10, 65x10, 65x10
Leg sled machine (calf raises): 120x10, 160x10, 180x10

40 min walk

Wednesday Workout

~60 min easy yoga

Man, yesterday was a DOMS nightmare (did my first leg workout Tuesday). I forgot how much lifting hurts for the first few weeks. I did some stretching after getting out of bed to prepare myself for not hobbling around too awkwardly at work. The yoga classes they have at my office are pretty focused on stretching instead of some of the faster flow classes I've done in the past, which is perfect for a lunch break. Pushed through the DOMS for that which was likely helpful in the long run because WHOA I feel a lot better today. Still some lingering soreness in my legs but hey - squats. 

Food-wise yesterday I went over my calories by about 300 or so. Sigh. Poor planning led to a big lunch and then more snacking and wine at a friend's house later. Who can say no to good cheese and homemade bread? Gonna try to come in a few hundred calories under today to make up for it. (No promises though.)

Today I am hoping to convince my husband to cook so I can take my doggo out for a walk/run after work. Heel blisters have been a forever problem of mine so I think I'm going to have to start taping up my problem heel again with Leukotape - a strip across the back of the heel lasts a few days and pretty much prevents blistering for me. I'm trying to also let my skin thicken up but it's hit or miss with how that goes. I try to get enough friction to get a callus but not so much to get a huge blister. I have tried every sock and shoe combo under the moon - just have weird feet I guess.

Then Friday is back to the gym to lift more things. I started lifting on a Tuesday but am adjusting to a M/W/F schedule. Gonna lift twice this week (Tues/Fri) and then pick up the 3x/week on Monday.

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

Friday 9/29

tenor.gif

Thursday

Walked 40 mins over lunch. Hit my calorie goals. Ate a decent amount of protein. Diiiidn't go to the gym, but there had been some mental waffling on scheduling so I'm not gonna beat myself up too badly about that. Hoping to get a more consistent schedule started next week (Lift M/W/F before or after work, do some sort of faster-than-walking movement Tu/Th/Su, yoga Wed/Fri). That being said...

Friday

The plan today is 45 min yoga over lunch (done!) and then the second day of my lifting plan after work. Normally this would be the third lifting day of the week, but I'll do the third day tomorrow since there are few overlapping muscles (bench press, shoulder press, dips, core today and deadlift, pull ups, rows, and back hyper-extensions tomorrow). Trying not to overthink it which is failing. Friday yoga is a bit more movement than Wednesday, but they are great ways to break up the workday.

We'll see how I feel, but I'd like to get out hiking with my dog early morning on Sunday - it's supposed to be in the 50-60s in the morning which sounds DELIGHTFUL. I have a few places in mind that I would love to get out to. There is not much better than hiking yourself exhausted and taking a nap on the couch with football on in the background. And then a bowl of chili. 

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

giphy.gif

It me!

Friday (cont):

Bench press: 45x10, 50x10, 55x10
Standing shoulder press: 18x10, 45x5, 15dbx10
Ass. Dip:. 150x6, 150x2 (max assist)
Ab work

Calories were fine even with a little junk food due to a small lunch (which may have led to some of the junk food OH WELL)

Saturday:

Deadlift (weights assuming 45 lb bar? Start low next time): 65x8, 95x8, 115x8
Ass. Pull-up (hack, max assist): 200x7, 200x5
DB Row (each side): 20x10, 20x10, 25x10
Back hyperextension: BWx10x3

Ahhh I love deadlifting. It's been too long. Not sure on the weights because it felt super easy, and there is a chance the bar was a "womans" bar or whatever. I'll start low next time to be sure but these will increase next time I hope. Pullups were LOL a nightmare (I think form issues) and DB rows felt good. I'll add weight next time for the hyperextensions but I'm trying to keep DOMS to a minimum tomorrow for hiking (yeah, we'll see how that goes).

My hiking partner. :love-struck:

I'll try to get a good picture of her out in the wild tomorrow. Rest of today is gonna be lounging around, maybe some cleaning...nothing too exciting. Going out to dinner with friends so I'm planning on a light lunch and I'm not going to stress too much about the calories since a long hike is in my future tomorrow and it should all balance out if I don't gorge tomorrow.

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

As I was reading this thread, I was like "I hope the dog appears. The dog is mentioned a lot. I will be heartbroken if I don't get an opportunity to see it." 

Bernese Mountain Dog? 

My partner in crime has arthritis, so he doesn't do a whole lot of hardcore exercise any more, but even walks add up! 

As promised, doggo pictures!

RYdfn0L.jpg

v2tMfqy.jpg

@Super Starling! She's an Australian Shepherd - 10 months old. Lots of energy! A very good dog though. Yours looks like an absolute sweetie. Old dogs are awesome. 

TBH if this just turns into a dog log, there are certainly worse things.

Saturday (cont):

Let's just say I ate a burger with cheese curds on it after a few moscow mules. LOL moving on.

Sunday:

Forgot to turn on my GPS but I think we went around 4-5 miles early Sunday. It was Azula's (doggo) first longer hike and she did really well. We stopped a few times for her to drink some water and roll around in the leaves. Went home, made an omlette for lunch and a big ol' batch of chili for dinner. Went grocery shopping for all sorts of good stuff for lunch and dinner this week with the hubs. 

Monday

Packed chili for lunch, made my protein smoothie breakfast. Still figuring out my ideal morning routine. Was just a little bit too behind to catch the bus/workout before work, but when I drove in I was a half hour early. SIGH. I used to get up at five to have a nice luxurious morning without being rushed, but it definitely means I have to go to bed earlier. I love sleeping so this isn't the worst thing in the world but it does mean I spend less time with my husband after work. We shall see.

I'll update later with my workout today - it is legs again today. :grumpy: Someday I'll learn how to squat better. Currently benching more than I'm squatting so something is not right. Might try doing some box squats today to see if I can teach my muscles what it feels like to sit back correctly into a squat.

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

A Dog Log sounds good. Speaking of something sort of related, there's a show called Dog With A Blog. The dog (which looks a bit like yours!) is actually not the main character, and it is savagely disappointing. Perhaps if you ever get bored with updating your log, you can spend a day or two logging as the dog. "My mom and I went on a hike. I love rolling in leaves. She didn't have a great eating day, she says, but it smelled delicious." It would be a great break from reality for us all! 

tenor.gif

Monday:

Box squats: 45x10, 65x10, 75x10, 85x10
Lunges: 2x10xBW each side
RDL: 65x10, 85x10, 115x10
Leg sled machine(just calves): 160x15, 180x10, 200x10

Whoa, box squats were just the ticket! Set the box back to cue a parallel depth squat and didn't really rest on the box - once I felt my butt touch down I went back up. Going to keep doing box squats for a few weeks to try and cue in the muscle memory of what a parallel squat feels like. I felt like could have added more weight but I didn't want to deal with crazy DOMS so I left it where it was.

Speaking of - no crazy DOMS yet this morning! We'll see how the day progresses. Yay muscle adaptation.

Getting back to Cooksmarts for dinner and lunch leftovers. Slipped a bit yesterday and had pizza at a work lunch, but made up for it later in the day. 

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

tenor.gif

Ahhh yesterday! I took a mental health day from work and didn't log any food. Feeling a little less overwhelmed and ready to keep on keepin' on.

Tuesday:

Rest

Wednesday:

Didn't lift as I tweaked my right rhomboid muscle pretty well (probably sleeping, lol I'm awesome) and figured bench pressing was probably not a good choice. Instead ran a Galloway "magic mile" at 10:55. I felt OK about that (especially considering my current weight) and look forward to it trending downwards as I shed some pounds. They recommend re-testing every 2 weeks but I think I'll start out doing it monthly until I feel some significant improvement that warrants doing it more often. I think the Galloway walk/run training is going to be a good way for me not to overdo it right away, especially doing lifting 3x/week. Trying not to bust ass on any one thing in the name of longer term habits.

Thursday:

Started the day off with string cheese and sugary coffee soooo not ideal. Can only go uphill from here!! A good chance I try to do my upper body "push" workout and a short jog tonight to get back on schedule with workouts as my back mostly feels better today.

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

Thursday

Ended up being a weird food day. Bigger lunch, smaller dinner. Calories were OK. Started Galloway's 5K training plan but pacing was a little faster than recommended based on my magic mile. Too much enthusiasm I'm sure on the run intervals since it's been a while since I was out running. Trying to train at a slower pace not to get injured or burned out so I'll have to feel that out a bit more.

25 min - 5 min warm-up/cool-down walking, 30:60 sec intervals x10

Avg pace: 14:56 (including warm-up/cool-down)

Bench press: 45x10, 50x10, 55x10
Standing shoulder press: 10dbx10, 15dbx8, 45x3
Tricep pull: 30x10, 40x10, 50x10
Ab work: home

Did ab work on the bosu ball at home. Want to solidify a regular core workout instead of just farting around but that'll come in time.

Friday

tenor.gif

Not much else to say. Stuck in training all morning, yoga at lunch, lifting after work. Saturday is gonna be a lazy, rainy day. We have a game night at a friend's house. Sunday is supposed to be nicer out so I'll probably drag the pooch somewhere hiking. GLAD IT'S FRIDAY.

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------

Friday

Deadlift: 45x8, 95x8, 115x8, 135x8
Cable pulldown: 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x10
DB Row (each side): 20x10x3
Back hyperextension: BWx10, 10x10x2

(Gonna start bolding current PRs, even when they aren't all that impressive yet.)

Saturday

Was lazy and boring. Went to a friend's house to play games, sat around, had deadlifting DOMS. Nothing too noteworthy but a generally good and chill day.

Sunday

Hiked 5 miles with the doggo in the morning.

She's a sweetie. A gorgeous morning, but I was pretty pooped by the end. It also got warmer than I would like in the middle of October, but oh well. Didn't do much the rest of the day, watched the Browns lose a winnable game and the Packers win a game they maybe should have lost. (Go Pack). 

giphy.gif

Happy Monday, y'all!

Lvl 1 Ranger

MapMyFitness

Fitocracy

-------------------