• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kae

Boxing?

Hey Monks,

A Ranger here dropping in to see if any of ya'll study Western-boxing? I'm interesting in learning this sport because, frankly, I want to learn how to throw a punch and dodge a punch. What has your experience been like? Also, have any of ya'll struggled finding a boxing gym that teaches the sport-itself rather than the punch-your-way-to-fitness model?

8 hours ago, Kae said:

Hey Monks,

A Ranger here dropping in to see if any of ya'll study Western-boxing? I'm interesting in learning this sport because, frankly, I want to learn how to throw a punch and dodge a punch. What has your experience been like? Also, have any of ya'll struggled finding a boxing gym that teaches the sport-itself rather than the punch-your-way-to-fitness model?

I teach boxing. Competed as a professional in the Philippines years ago.

Fitness boxing has boomed the past few years, with franchises like TITLE Boxing Club and what used to be LA Boxing, where you can actually hit a bag, popping-up all over the place, instead of the cardio "boxing" classes taught in dance rooms. I believe celebrities like Adriana Lima getting really into it contributed to this. Some places that focus on the fitness don't have paths to competition; I was working at TITLE Boxing Club when we got the memorandum that you can't spar in the club. I do believe that most competition-focused gyms welcome boxing for fitness, as that is where most of the clientele will come from. (Maybe 1% will want to actually spar, and even fewer will want to compete.) But the fitness aspect does open the door for possible competition. I believe Holly Holm started out with Boxercise classes.

Hey Machete,

Thank you for your response. I have no issue with boxing for fitness and think it serves an important role because most people do not want to spar. I would prefer to learn for possible competition. The issue is that in my area, there are only boxing for fitness for adults. All the local rec centers have competition-focused gyms but, unfortunately, they only train youth so I'm kinda struggling finding a gym. I did reach out to our local golden gloves organization so that will hopefully help. If I'm not able to find a gym, do you think I could get a good grounding in the sport from fitness centers? Otherwise it looks like I'll just have to wait until I can afford any of the Muay Thai/MMA gyms around.

12 hours ago, Kae said:

Hey Machete,

Thank you for your response. I have no issue with boxing for fitness and think it serves an important role because most people do not want to spar. I would prefer to learn for possible competition. The issue is that in my area, there are only boxing for fitness for adults. All the local rec centers have competition-focused gyms but, unfortunately, they only train youth so I'm kinda struggling finding a gym. I did reach out to our local golden gloves organization so that will hopefully help. If I'm not able to find a gym, do you think I could get a good grounding in the sport from fitness centers? Otherwise it looks like I'll just have to wait until I can afford any of the Muay Thai/MMA gyms around.

Ha. Just like gymnastics--no adult programs. Fitness boxing is very variable in terms of what you learn. Some of my co-workers at TITLE Boxing Club had absolutely no fight experience, while others had as many as 70+ matches. Some teach actual technical moves, others just make members tired (which is what most of them want in the first place). Honestly I think the only requirement to hold a "boxing" fitness class would be the ability to engage a crowd. So I wouldn't bet on it. You can't know what you don't know. If anything I'd just learn the very basics from teh internets (just vet your sources and don't get caught in a black hole of different points-of-view), and practice shadowboxing with the Bas Rutten Workout.

If you live in the US you could also search for a registered USA Boxing gym.

Thanks @Machete, I've found some videos that cover the fundamentals, so I'll start with that. I do live in the US, so thank you for that resource! Unfortunately, it's still a little slim on the adult end but I think there's an option in my area. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, Kae said:

Thanks @Machete, I've found some videos that cover the fundamentals, so I'll start with that. I do live in the US, so thank you for that resource! Unfortunately, it's still a little slim on the adult end but I think there's an option in my area.

I like this one. Very basic and principle-based; stuff you probably can't be too good at. (That kid fought GGG in 2015.)