• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Athaclena

[Low Carb] Athaclena's Recipes

I've seen a few others do this - so I thought as I go on the Low Carb journey I'd post my recipes here so others can get ideas. I love to cook - and cook a LOT (in spite of a really heavy travel schedule).  Some recipes will be super simple, some may be more involved. I know there are TONS of sites out there with recipes - what I'll do here is post recipes that I've tested and found tasty.  I'll link and attribute where I got a recipe (or if I was inspired).  I'll also post recipes if it's a drastic change to an inspiration OR it's one of my own creations.

First up, Creamy Chicken Surprise!  This is a recipe I recall growing up - well a variation on it.  It is SUPER SUPER easy - anyone can do it! If I recall, this recipe actually came from my sister in law's family..

Creamy Chicken Surprise

Ingredients:

• Chicken pieces - Could be breasts, whole cut up, chicken thighs, chicken legs.  The last time I did this I used a bag of flash frozen breasts.
  • Cheese - The original recipe called for sliced swiss, but I had a bag of shredded mozzarella lying around - so I used that - can skip or use veggie cheese if you're skipping dairy
  • 1 can Cream of X soup - I used cream of chicken as hubby is allergic to mushrooms - but you could use cream of broccoli, mushroom, etc.  Need to skip the dairy? Use a can of coconut cream and skip the milk below. - also if you do a HUGE batch you may need to double this
  • 1/2 can of milk - I used unsweetened, unflavored almond milk - whatever you have on hand
  • ** note, original recipe called for an envelope of Lipton Onion soup - but I don't keep that on hand - and I like to limit processed food anyway - so I used the following
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder - or mince a couple of cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder - or chop up an onion
  • IF you didn't use canned cream soup or a soup envelope, you may need to add a tsp of salt.  If you used the canned or added an envelope of soup you do not need to add any salt - there's plenty in the soup(s) already.
  • Optional - any other herb you like with chicken - some oregano, tarragon, etc.

Method:

Dump the chicken in a single layer in a pan. Top with a layer of cheese. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl (if using fresh onions\garlic, add them on the chicken and under the cheese) and pour over the chicken.  Cover tightly with foil and pop in a 350 oven for 60 minutes.  It is nearly impossible to overcook and when I use the flash frozen I want to make sure it's all cooked through. You can also do this in a slow cooker - 3 hours on high or 6 on low.

Variations:

You can TOTALLY add some veggies to this - just pop them on the chicken under the cheese (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, etc).  The cheese and soup makes a MOST excellent sauce.  I spooned everything over riced cauliflower and it was DE-LISH!  Of you're not low-carbing, growing up we always had this with rice or mashed potatoes.

I did NOT take a picture before we dug in - but the next time I do this I totally will and update this post\thread.

Edited by Athaclena
added dairy free variation

Sorry - no picture again - too much steam and didn't take a picture of my plate - DANG IT!  Super Target had a big thing of 12 loin pork chops for $10 (not particularly THICK ones) so I picked it up and figured I'd slow cook them.  I was inspired by the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/87805/slow-cooker-pork-chops-ii/.  I made a couple of changes (amount of garlic, added ACV and Worcestershire cause).  You could use this as a marinade for chops, chicken or a pork roast - or swap chicken broth for beef for a beef roast.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops

Ingredients:

Pork chops (doesn't REALLY matter if they're center cut or not)

3-5 cloves garlic, minced (or sub 1 tsp of garlic powder)

1/4 c. Olive Oil

1/4 c. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)

1 c. Chicken Broth\Stock

1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp. Oregano

1 tsp. Basil

1 tsp. Onion Powder (or chop\slice a fresh onion - hubby hates the texture so I use powder)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Method:

Mix all of the ingredients AFTER the pork chops in a large measuring glass (so it's easy to pour).  Pour a little bit in the bottom of your slow cooker and smear it around.  Add layer of pork chops.  Layer the liquid\chops until it's all in there.  Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.

If using as a marinade, just dump the liquid & spices in a ziplock, mush around, add meat, mush around and pop in the fridge the night before.  Pour it all into the slow cooker the next day.

• Thanks 1

Was going through my recipes (specifically looking for my Low Carb Cheesecake - which I'll ALSO Post) - but ran across my old "Irish" Stew recipe which I may pick up the ingredients for tomorrow while I'm out for MY lunches this coming week :)

“Irish” Stew
Why the quotes?  No potatoes!  You can do this with lamb or beef.  I use 1 package of Trader Joe’s Tri-Tip steaks.  I also use a package of frozen leeks – much easier than cleaning them!  This is a very low calorie, filling stew.  You get about 5 – 2 cup servings.  Great for a week of lunches!  You will never believe it is only seasoned with salt, pepper & rosemary.  You MUST use fresh rosemary – it will make ALL the difference!

Ingredients:
2 tsp oil (I use grapeseed – you want something that doesn’t impart flavor)
1 lb boneless beef, cut into 1.5" pieces*
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
1 large or 2 small parsnips, cut into chunks
4 cups low sodium beef broth
2 large leeks, coarsely chopped
2 medium (about 1.3 lbs) celery roots , cubed
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine - or just drop in a sprig and fish it out before serving
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the oil. Then sear the Beef pieces, stirring frequently until they have a nice brown crust.

Reduce heat to medium high. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion, carrot and parsnips and cook them with the meat for about 3 minutes.

Add the beef broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the rosemary, celery root and leeks. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.

Of course, after you browned the meat, you could just add everything to a slow cooker and cook low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

And, since I just said I would - my Low Carb cheesecake.  This DOES use "sugar substitute" - I have always used the Splenda, but will try out my next batch with the Stevia version and will report back.  I also plan to do them as cupcakes to make serving easier.  I'm doing this SPECIFICALLY because hubby has a big sweet tooth and this will help him stay on his ultra low carb eating plan. I'll post back the approx minutes for doing smaller cakes, but I suspect it'll be 30-35 minutes....

LowCarb Cheesecake

Ingredients
5 packages (8 oz ) cream cheese (I've used UP TO 3 of these as low fat if you want to cut the calories a bit more w\o sacrificing flavor)
5 large eggs
3/4 cup Splenda for Baking (not the one with sugar) - or whatever equiv you'd like
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream

Method
If you're using a hand mixer, bring the cream cheese and eggs to room temperature first. I HIGHLY recommend using a stand mixer.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a spring-form pan with a non-stick spray. In a large bowl mix eggs, cream, sweetener, and extract. Add cream cheese in 2-oz chunks for easier beating. After all the lumps are gone pour into the pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. (mine took 60). Cool all the way, cover and refrigerate overnight.

EDIT TO ADD:

Tonight I did them as muffins - made 24 - baked 25 minutes.  This is after they cooled a bit (they puff up then collapse when they cool).  And they're DELISH  Also, I made these with a Stevia Sugar Baking replacement (that measures cup for cup) and they turned out just like I remember when I did these with sucralose.

CheeseCakeMuffins.thumb.jpg.82cbb956c763dbe7c120aba32907323d.jpg

Hubby loves Pumpkin (I hate it LOL).  But I still make pumpkin recipes for him.  Since he thoroughly enjoyed the Cheesecake "cupcakes" - I made a pumpkin version - which were a real hit.  I was inspired by this Kraft recipe, but made some changes.

Sugar Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins

Ingredients

2 pkg. (8 oz. each)  Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Baking Stevia (or sugar alternative of your choice)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash ground cloves
dash ground nutmeg
2 eggs

1/4 c. Heavy Whipping Cream

Method

Mix everything together except the cream cheese until combined (I used my Ninja food processor with the dough blade - you can use a stand mixer with cookie paddles or a hand mixer).  Add the cream cheese 2 oz. at a time and blend until smooth.  Pop some parchment muffin cups into muffin tins (parchment is more non-stick - I use these) and spoon in.  This was perfect for 12 muffins.  Hubby loved them!

• Like 1

Last night I made an oldie but goodie.  And it's something kid's will love - Baked Chicken Drumsticks! And you really can't get any easier!

Baked Chicken Drumsticks

1 large package of Drumsticks (the pack I cooked last night had 13 - just don't overload your pan)

Salt & Pepper to taste

Garlic Powder to taste

Herb(s) of your choice to taste - I used Thyme - but this is also great with Oregano or Tarragon - just go REALLY light on Tarragon or Basil as they're strong - with kids I'd stick with Thyme or Oregano

Method

Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Put drumsticks in a single layer in a pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder & herbs.  Turn over and repeat.  Pop in the oven uncovered and cook for 1 hour. If you have an instant read thermometer, check to the largest thigh to make sure it gets to at least 165F/74C.

This weekend, Aldi's was having a sale on Boneless Pork Shoulder - $1.49/lb - so I picked up a 10 lb hunk 'o meat!  I don't have a smoker - but no problem - I have a slow cooker and it's almost as good (and less work).

Ingredients

Boneless Pork Shoulder

BBQ Sauce of your choice - I happened to have Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar - but also love the Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce as well

Liquid Smoke of your choice - optional - but really makes a HUGE difference - I almost always use Hickory but occasionally change it up with Mesquite

Method

Drop the shoulder in your slow cooker - fat side down.  Add a couple of tablespoons of BBQ sauce on top & a couple of shakes of liquid smoke. Rub it in.  Turn it over & repeat.  You want the fat side up to "baste" the pork.  Since I'm so concerned about getting to temp, if the shoulder is over 5lb (and today it's a 10lb shoulder), I cook on high a couple of hours THEN drop it to low.  If you get up early enough - low for 12 hours is best.  I cook until the temp says it's 160 - then let it go for another couple of hours to make sure all of the connective tissue really breaks down.  This will COMPLETELY fall apart and is great just as it is, or add a touch more BBQ sauce.  

Great on it's own, in sandwiches, on pasta (think "ragu"), on rice, etc.  I had this with a side of Brussel Sprouts.