• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wuzzuphupp

Breakfast foods

Does anybody have any healthy breakfast options out there? I'm a picky eater (something I'm trying to work on), and I don't really like eggs. But I also don't want to eat super sugary carb filled traditional breakfast foods. I'm trying to find something that will keep me full while I work, but isn't a bagel or a muffin. Thanks!

Well, depends on how adventurous you want to be with breakfast.  Really you can eat anything early in the morning and call it breakfast.  That said, yea, traditional Western breakfast foods typically fall under the sweet bready things or savory egg things.  I like oatmeal, personally, but the kind you have to make yourself, not the instant sugar bomb packets.  Egg cups are another thing I like, but if you're not an egg fan that doesn't help.  You could do rice + bacon/sausage/meat of choice + veggies, for a more asian take on breakfast.  I loved the breakfast when I was in Japan, and tried taking a few tips from that when I got back.

So if you're super picky, just grab anything you WILL eat and run with that for breakfast.  That's probably the easier option compared to finding things completely new.

• Like 1

break·fast
ˈbrekfəst/
noun

1. 1.
    a meal eaten in the morning, the first of the day.

Smoothies are a good way to hide things you'd normally not eat. I tend to put 1/2 an avocado in mine. 

Now you do need to be careful with a "smoothie," just make sure you're not eating/drinking "fruit salad in a cup" (I'm looking at you smoothie with pineapple, apple, cheery, and banana with protein powder).

My typical smoothie is this:
    1/2 avocado
    1 scoop protein powder
    tablespoon chia seeds
    Handful spinach
    Teaspoon salt (cardiologist orders, might increase)
    Dash (heavy) of cinnamon
    1/2 banana (on workout days)
    1/2 cup frozen fruit (either: cherry, blueberry, or strawberry)
    1-2 cup almond milk 
    Top off with water

That comes to:
    339 calories
    15.1 g fat
    22.6 g carb
    30.8 g protein

P.S.
    I used to hate avocado

I feel like we just buried a topic with this subject.

On weekdays I have 10-16 ounces of cold brew with two scoops of protein powder. I don’t feel the need to have more. YMMV.

When I’m purposely trying to gain weight I’ll have strawberry yogurt and maybe a homemade bagel on top of that. That’s really it. My big meal is lunch (there is nothing unhealthy about a small breakfast).

I concur with RisenPhoenix. I love my pancakes-and-sausage or bacon-and-eggs as much as the next guy, but break free of the tyranny of the traditional bacon-and-eggs! Bring Nietzsche to your kitchen and cast off the shackles of yesterday's early morning palate to become a culinary ubermensch (or ubermentsh)!

Slightly more seriously, do a Wiki-walk through traditional breakfasts from non-US countries. Colombians do black beans and fried plantains, which I find to be an excellently balanced breakfast. Try some salt-pork (or porchetta if you're lucky enough to find it) with some sautéed peppers or onions (or both!). Sometimes, when the weather is garbage, I like a bowl of chicken soup to start off my day. After Thanksgiving, cornbread-turkey finds its way to my breakfast table. Really, it's all about what you want to fuel your day.

I have to admit.  I don’t usually eat breakfast much.  I don’t get hungry early in the morning so... why eat if I’m not hungry.  When I do eat breakfast it is usually something small like a smoothies/protein shake, some fruit, or yogurt.  Maybe oatmeal if it is my day off.

Protein fills me up. Sometimes I'll just eat yesterday's dinner leftovers.  Or some sausage. Or some pre cooked chicken with a bit of rice. Soup is nice in the winter.

One quick thought on eggs, which I refused to eat between approximately the ages of 6 to 34...

Don't feel constrained by the conventional ways of preparing eggs. Scrambled eggs are "supposed" to be fluffy and moist, but I find that frankly disgusting. I cook mine until they're firm and golden brown (ok let's be honest: they're burnt). I get a lot of weird looks and snarky comments from family members, but they taste good to me. Finding my way of cooking eggs opened the door to a great source of nutrition, and now I eat them for breakfast every day.

• Like 1

I eat boiled eggs (usually 2) for breakfast, and chia seeds, or kinoa... it keeps me full, an it's really healthy and quick to prepare! :)

I am pretty lazy so i usually eat plain oats with a water-based protein shake. But I'm cutting down right now. Otherwise it would be a breakfast shake with more stuff in it (PB, fruit, etc.) for more calories.