Kestrel Joyfully Stagnates

Kestrel Grey

latest (1500×2274)

Embracing my inner Swamp Thing

1. Move Everyday. Go Nowhere.

My only goal will be to explore and enjoy what my body is capable of right now.  There will be no set training plan or focus on improving.  Practically this will look like some strength or mobility workouts, trying out classes at our newly built fitness center, and lots of running or hiking (and climbing, if they ever get the climbing section finished!)

2. Learn Nothing.

No self-help books. No personal finance blogs. No reading up on how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.  The only things I am permitting myself to spend time learning is continuing my Spanish and Math studies, and anything I need to look up for my crocheting projects.  Otherwise, stop consuming knowledge.

3. Change Nothing.

Keep to my morning routine.

Keep to my eating plan.

• Like 6

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Beautiful in it's stagnant simplicity. Following! 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Image result for never explain quotes disraeli

I realised I have a bad habit, whenever I am working out around other people, of apologising and making excuses for not being better.  When I catch someone watching me at the gym I want to say "sorry I suck, but it's not my fault because...."  

Yes, I have some weaknesses, but I am in pretty damn good shape in other ways.  I am celebrating that this challenge.

• Like 5

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

27 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Beautiful in it's stagnant simplicity. Following! 

Thanks! Always good to have you.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

I love this. I've been caught up in that cycle too,.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following to learn something from the beautiful simplicity of this challenge.

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Yes, I have some weaknesses, but I am in pretty damn good shape in other ways.  I am celebrating that this challenge.

Very powerful, Kestrel, I like it a lot! Also, Swamp Thing, yo!

giphy.webp

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

21 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I realised I have a bad habit, whenever I am working out around other people, of apologising and making excuses for not being better.  When I catch someone watching me at the gym I want to say "sorry I suck, but it's not my fault because...." 

I've found myself doing the same thing when I talk about running 'Yes I run a lot but I'm really slow blah blah etc' I've also made a promise to myself not to add qualifiers to anything like that. I run.

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 15/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This looks like a brilliant challenge.

On 15/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Stribs said:

Following to learn something from the beautiful simplicity of this challenge.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Very powerful, Kestrel, I like it a lot! Also, Swamp Thing, yo!

giphy.webp

Wolf

Yo!  Swamp Thing is awesome.

On 15/10/2017 at 3:12 PM, Elastigirl said:

I love this. I've been caught up in that cycle too,.

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I've found myself doing the same thing when I talk about running 'Yes I run a lot but I'm really slow blah blah etc' I've also made a promise to myself not to add qualifiers to anything like that. I run.

I think it is a struggle for many people walking the line between embracing where we are and wanting to be more.

Week Zero - Monday

Today started out iffy, but I pulled it off.  I woke up after 4 hours sleep and could not fall back asleep, so I decided to try this whole running-before-dawn thing.  I like it! The only issue is the walking trails are not lit so I either have to stick to cement or find my headlamp.  My legs were happy to get out.  After I got home I had time for my normal morning routine.

At lunch I traded in my normal round of blogs/books/articles for some fun trashy chick books (the Stephanie Plum series). It felt wasteful to not be reading something more intellectual, but in the sneaky I'm-being-naughty-and-loving-it way.  I had my normal salad for lunch and feel pretty good.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

35 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I like it! The only issue is the walking trails are not lit so I either have to stick to cement or find my headlamp.  My legs were happy to get out.  After I got home I had time for my normal morning routine

Woo headlamp running ftw :) Though my headlamp and glasses don’t like each other. It’s kind of fun though!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Woo headlamp running ftw :) Though my headlamp and glasses don’t like each other. It’s kind of fun though!

Thanks for the warning! I've worn mine with glasses but never ran with them. If I wake up before dawn again I'll see how well they play together.

Most of the trails, and all of the parks, actually have signs posted saying you aren't allowed after dark. I'm thinking it's more for people wanting to party there at night than to keep out runners, but if I get thrown in jail will you post my bail? It would be your fault for being a bad (good) influence!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Thanks for the warning! I've worn mine with glasses but never ran with them. If I wake up before dawn again I'll see how well they play together.

Yeah, the light will glare off my glasses. I think it's a product of my cheap headlamp though. I've seen many that don't look like they'll have the problem. Though I've actually taken running without my glasses too. I don't run OCRs with them for obvious reasons and I'm too cowardly to try contacts ;)

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

13 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah, the light will glare off my glasses. I think it's a product of my cheap headlamp though. I've seen many that don't look like they'll have the problem. Though I've actually taken running without my glasses too. I don't run OCRs with them for obvious reasons and I'm too cowardly to try contacts ;)

I'm blind enough that I would end up wandering off course, or over a cliff, if I ran without them.  My previous OCRs involved finding a volunteer at every water obstacle to hold my glasses, and going back to reclaim them, before moving on.  The Rugged Maniac I ran in July finally convinced me to get laser surgery.  It's booked for next March. :D

26 minutes ago, Super Starling! said:

It's hard to balance "I WANT TO KNOW AND DO EVERYTHING" with "I AM STRESSING OUT OVER WANTING TO KNOW AND DO EVERYTHING." A month to just BE sounds really nice right now. 

giphy.gif

Yeah, attitude management is a very real part of fitness.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Week Zero - Tuesday

I did wake up a little before sunrise again on Tuesday, but I was able to roll over and fall back asleep so no pre-dawn run this morning. Instead I went for a midday hike.  It was a warm sunny day and all the snow melted off the trails, so it seemed too nice not to go for a hike.  In the spirit of not being ashamed of exercising I even stopped in the middle for some outdoor callisthenics.  I picked a nice secluded section of the trail (I'm not that brave yet) but once I got up again I saw a pair of hikers had been coming down a shortcut and watching me the whole time.  So I practised my best casually confident face, said hello and kept going.  Probably it helped that I was distracted by the discomfort of gravel pressing into my palms and knees.

I had a healthy breakfast and healthy lunch but had a slightly unhealthy dinner of cheese tortellini.  Fresh pasta tastes so much better than dried.  I spent an extra hour on my Spanish in the evening (irregular past participles) and missed trying out a new gym class, but as I already moved today it doesn't matter.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

19 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I picked a nice secluded section of the trail (I'm not that brave yet) but once I got up again I saw a pair of hikers had been coming down a shortcut and watching me the whole time.  So I practised my best casually confident face, said hello and kept going.  Probably it helped that I was distracted by the discomfort of gravel pressing into my palms and knees.

Yeah, why is this so hard? I'm fine going out for a run, but doing burpees in the park makes me feel sooo self conscious. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm fine going out for a run, but doing burpees in the park makes me feel sooo self conscious. 

The great thing about going for a run is that running away is a natural part of the process. If you're doing burpees, you're stuck there with your audience. 

giphy.gif

Until the bitter end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good for you showing those hikers what awesome rangers are like in the wild!!

• Like 2

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Running is also socially acceptable.  Everyone, from teenagers to little old ladies, is allowed to pull on some spandex/sweats (age-dependent) and hit the road.  Doing other forms of exercise outdoors is rebellious.  Yes, I am a rebel, but sometimes I want to be an incognito rebel!

Week Zero - Wednesday

Not much to report today.  I slept in and woke to a text from my boss, asking me to come in to work in the next city.  I did a little foam rolling and my physio exercises while my tea was steeping, but no other moving and no morning routine.  It was midnight when I got back home so that was my day.

Since after midnight is officially my birthday I pulled out the ice cream from the freezer when I got home.  It is currently dripping in my lap as I slowly finish the container. :D  Calories consumed on a birthday don't count.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

I like your goals.  Experiment with movement to find things you like, and maintain routines you know work for you.

Good for you for doing some trail side exercises!  In prior challenges have been known to walk my dog around my neighborhood and do squats or push ups at periodic intervals.  I felt like a complete weirdo while doing it and a super hero after I got home.  I agree with Stribs, show folks what awesome rangers are made of!

Birthday cake is overrated. Birthday ice cream is way better :) 

• Like 2

Sorted Hufflepuff, Self Proclaimed Stark, Lover of LEGOS

Love the stuff you love, and pursue your passions without fear or regret.

Weekly Battle Log Here: Silver Sword

7 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

The great thing about going for a run is that running away is a natural part of the process. If you're doing burpees, you're stuck there with your audience. 

I don't know. The British public don't tend to stop and stare. They just ignore the idiot doing burpees like he isn't there and walk on by :P once in a while you might get a disap

proving tut or roll of the eyes.

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Running is also socially acceptable.  Everyone, from teenagers to little old ladies, is allowed to pull on some spandex/sweats (age-dependent) and hit the road.  Doing other forms of exercise outdoors is rebellious.  Yes, I am a rebel, but sometimes I want to be an incognito rebel!

You might have hit the nail on the head. I feel especially self conscious about being caught doing weird stuff when it's stupidly early in the morning and dark out :P I'm trying to keep your mentality though. I refuse to be embarrassed by doing exercise. If I keep at it I hope one day I'll believe it :D

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Calories consumed on a birthday don't count.

Truth!

giphy.gif

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I feel especially self conscious about being caught doing weird stuff when it's stupidly early in the morning and dark out :P I'm trying to keep your mentality though. I refuse to be embarrassed by doing exercise. If I keep at it I hope one day I'll believe it :D

*imagines what weird stuff you get caught doing other than exercise*

― Neil Gaiman