WhiteGhost Does Druidy Stuff

WhiteGhost

Oh, hello!

Hope you don't mind me stopping by to challenge with you guys this time around.  During my last challenge I realized I need to change up my focus and priorities and after reviewing them, I realized that this challenge would probably be good fit with the Druids

I am putting the Arruvia Conspiracy story on hold for now, but will probably come back to it when I go back to the Assassins. However, I will still keep my basic challenge structure

So, without further ado: The Missions

Mission 1: LUYL - Learn Something New Every Day

I feel like I have been stagnating recently in my life, and after some pondering have concluded that the root of this has been my reliance on what I already know, because it was enough to coast.  What I need now, is some acceleration.  In re-reading the Song of Ice & Fire series, I was struck by Arya Stark's character progression, especially her time in Braavos with the House of Black & White.  For those who don't follow the Game of Thrones, Arya is a younger daughter of a Nobleman who becomes separated from her family and ends up in a foreign land training to become an assassin.  As part of her training, she is required to learn 3 new things every time she reports in, to help her become observant, but also to help her better understand the world around her.  I really like this idea and have decided to adopt it for this challenge.  I need to learn something new 5 days/week in one of the following categories:

1. China Geopolitics/Macroeconomics 

2. New Technology or New Application of Existing Technology

3. International M&A/Investment Marketplace

Mission 2: Do Your Dadgummed Stretching - Focused Flexibility

I have always wished I were more flexible, but have made little effort into making that become a reality. Recently I have tried to be better at it, but I just didn't have a "Big Why" to get me past the times when motivation just wasn't enough.  However, as I was considering my winter exercise plan, I realized that a lot of the exercises I want to work on (Pistol Squats, L-Sits, even some basic abs work) would be limited not by strength but by flexibility.  As such, my "Big Why" for becoming more flexible is to be able to improve overall mobility.  The biggest problem I had keeping up with stretching was caused by the lack of application - flexibility for the sake of flexibility alone was not enough.  Having specific movements that require improved flexibility have renewed my drive to make this happen.  I have signed up for GMB's Focused Flexibility program, but the format wasn't working for me.  I have decided to create my own stretching format, based on the FF principles to create my own routine.  It will consist of ankle, hip, shoulder and wrist flexibility and will consist of two parts:

1. Focused Passive/Dynamic stretching at least 30 minutes/day, but does not have to be consecutive.  Stretching can be spread out throughout the day

2. Active stretching as part of movements I want to be able to do.  These will be incorporated into my workouts as appropriate

Mission 3: Eat Your Veggies - New Recipe Once a Week

This was a challenge I did before and it worked out pretty well, but when I stopped being accountable for it, I stopped doing it.  I want to keep this up so I am now making myself accountable again and will report on what I cooked here.  The rules are:

1. Must be a recipe I haven't made before

2. Must be served to the family - just eating it myself doesn't count

Mission 4: Random Calisthenics 

I have come up with a list of 20 calisthenics activities/progressions that I want to work on over the winter.  Each workout session, I will roll a set of dice to determine which activities will be part of the workout for that day.

1. Exercises will be done either for reps (dynamic movements) or seconds (static holds), cycled through a 3 set circuit. 

2. Each activity will also incorporate a stretch aspect for improving flexibility

Spoiler

Workout will be determined by 6 rolls, one for each of the following categories:

Pull exercise (1D4)

Neck to Waist Ab Wheel Pulls

L-Sit Pullups

Chest 2 Bar Pullups

Eccentric One Arm Pullups

Timed Exercise (1D6)

Dragon Lift Holds

MU Transition Holds (Top of Pullup/Bottom of Dip)

Unsupported Handstands

Tuck Planches

Tuck L-Sit

Tuck Front Lever

Leg Exercise (1D8)

Bench/Stool Pistol Squats (1-4)

Shrimp Squats (5-8)

Push Exercise (1D10)

Archer Pushups (1-2)

Handstand Pushups (3-4)

One Arm Pushups (5-6)

Thoracic Bridge Pushups (7-8)

Chest to Bar Dips (9-10)

Other Mobility Exercise (1D12)

Front Lever Swings (1-4)

Back lever Leg Drops (5-8)

Thoracic Bridge Wall Walks (9-12)

Bonus Exercise (1D20)

Any one of the above

Also, as inspired by @Jarric and @jonfirestar, I am doing some icebreaker questions.  For week 0:

What is the farthest from home you have ever been and why did you go there?

For me, the farthest I have been is probably Auckland, New Zealand and I went there for a business trip earlier this year

• Like 10
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I was going to lurk but you caught me with the icebreaker. (I was also going to say I'm hiding in your suitcase next time you go somewhere fun like NZ, but then I remembered where you live and that I like breathing, and those things are mutually exclusive.)

I can't tell from a map which is farther from home for me, but it was either Turkey (went on spring break when I was studying in France, with my friend who was studying in Italy at the same time) or Jordan (went to study Arabic and never use it again after coming home). 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

51 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Warszawa, Polska.

Mrs H had a work conference there.  We extended it into a vacation, spending most of our time touring Warsaw and Krakow, with side day-trips to Oswiecim for Auschwitz and Wieliczka for the salt mine.

• Like 4

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Looking forward to learning your new things too when you post them! 

For the icebreaker: I think New Zealand is farthest for me too (cause it's basically far from anywhere haha), and my aunt lives just outside Auckland so we went for a visit

• Like 4

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Following along! Bulgaria is the furthest I have been and I can't imagine I will go much further until I get over my refusal to stand up when I am 40,000 feet in the air. Luckily for me there are plenty of awesome countries in between and a little further - I think I could handle that. 

• Like 6

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, as inspired by @Jarric and @jonfirestar, I am doing some icebreaker questions.  For week 0:

I'll admit that I shamelessly stole it from @Jarric :D

I think geographically Florida is the furthest I've been from the UK where I grew up but I was living in Connecticut at the time and I'm not sure that counts :D

• Like 5

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Your choice of dice confuse me, but I love your dice roll workout - looks like it should work really well. It also conjures up a rather charming image of going into a gym and sitting on the floor with a bag of dice :P 

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Albufeira in southern Portugal, just for a holiday. I'm not exactly well travelled to be fair; I've never got outside of western Europe.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, as inspired by @Jarric and @jonfirestar, I am doing some icebreaker questions.

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'll admit that I shamelessly stole it from @Jarric :D

And I stole if from someone else :D . Pretty sure it was @NeverThatBored?

• Like 5

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Queenstown, NZ, which is literally the furthest you can get from Sweden, within 200 km or so. :) I was working in Australia with frequent work trips to NZ at the time. Each time I went to NZ I would take a few days to explore a different place so Queenstown was a semi-holiday.

Also cool challenge. Nice that you found your "why" for improving flexibility!

• Like 4

I spent two weeks in Seattle and Olympia, Washington for Kung Fu summer camp.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

I love dice roll workouts!  

The furthest I've been from home was a trip to France in high school as a summer exchange student.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

La Palma, which is just off the coast of Northern Africa. I don't mind travelling far, i rather travel to a place i can have much fun riding my bike. Like the Spanish Pyrenees and Italian Dolomites this year :D.

Here to keep you accountable with the stretching, i'm always in awe with people putting that up as a goal...

Spoiler

I mean come on:

Dolomites:

dwfO5vE.jpg

Pyrenees:

gpXr58I.jpg

• Like 6

... a little odd in the head ...

I thought I'd pop by and root for you quietly, but that icebreaker... 

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

At 8,921 miles from home, the city of Kochi in Kerala, India is the farthest I have ever traveled. I went for family reasons/leisure. My cousin married a man from India and their son needed to have a ceremony performed. My cousin's father in law was integral to the ceremony but unable to travel at the time, so they had to go to him in India. They invited the extended family along and those of us who decided to go had a great trip! 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, fleaball said:

I was going to lurk but you caught me with the icebreaker.

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm sensing a trend here...

So, furthest from home depends on what I count as "home". My hometown is in Washington State, but I've spent most of my life in Maryland. It's either Seattle, which both times I've been there were as side trips since it's relatively close to Spokane (my hometown), where we were visiting family. If I count my hometown as home, than it would be Puerto Rico, where I traveled to visit my wife (she's from there).

6 hours ago, Jarric said:

Your choice of dice confuse me, but I love your dice roll workout - looks like it should work really well. It also conjures up a rather charming image of going into a gym and sitting on the floor with a bag of dice :P 

It's one of every die, how is that confusing? :P 

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Welcome to Druids! Even if you’re only visiting for a while, you are welcome to stay as long as you like.

cf4cae878aa102b8528e055b48d3aa03.gif

Stayyyyyyyyyyyy. As long as you like..

Flexibility is an awesome goal, and will really help your progress in becoming the Best Ranger You Can Be.  It will also be a great tool to prevent injuries in the future and helps with lengthening your walking stride, preventing falls, and improving sleep. 

You may enjoy trying it some yoga too, which a great combination of strength and stretching. I like Yoga with Adrienne because 1. It’s free and 2.she never gets too  "be one with the trees" but is relaxed and fun. 

Best of luck! I hope you reach ( heehee, I couldn’t resist) your goals!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Wow, so many great responses. I will try to respond to them, but since I am on my phone I may get frustrated and give up. If so, I will be sure to get to them later.

Did my stretching last night and actually enjoyed it. I am going to need to take some "before" pictures tonight to track against so I can have some way to know if I am making any progress.  Can anyone suggest a good position for checking ankle flexibility? So far I have considered the 3rd world squat or propping my foot up on something to see how high my toes get. The problem with the squat is that it is hard to account for horizontal ankle rotation, which can make the bend of the ankle appear to vary wildly. Putting my toes up on something may work, but I would need to make sure my leg is at the same angle every time. Any other suggestions?

For LYUL, I learned that Guo Wengui, the Chinese billionaire in the US who is making great effort discredit Wang Qishan (Xi Jinping's anti-curruption enforcer) made his money as a property developer with the Pangu Group, which, as a matter of pure coincidence, is the owner of the building where I work.

I didn't do any workout this morning because I had to take care of some urgent stuff so I will try to get it in tonight.  I also need to pick a dish soon to cook up this week.

• Like 8

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 10/16/2017 at 11:05 AM, Hazard said:

Warszawa, Polska.

Mrs H had a work conference there.  We extended it into a vacation, spending most of our time touring Warsaw and Krakow, with side day-trips to Oswiecim for Auschwitz and Wieliczka for the salt mine.

I would love to visit Poland someday. I have never been to Eastern Europe (other than layovers) but it is on the list of places I must go.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:37 AM, Teancum said:

Looking forward to learning your new things too when you post them! 

For the icebreaker: I think New Zealand is farthest for me too (cause it's basically far from anywhere haha), and my aunt lives just outside Auckland so we went for a visit

New Zealnd is great, I will definitely find my way back there again.

21 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along! Bulgaria is the furthest I have been and I can't imagine I will go much further until I get over my refusal to stand up when I am 40,000 feet in the air. Luckily for me there are plenty of awesome countries in between and a little further - I think I could handle that. 

I admit I don't really get not wanting to stand if you are already on the plane. If you were on a lower flight (say 30,000ft) you could stand up and still be way lower than sitting at 40k ft. Also, if you run down the aisle while it is in flight, you can tell people you ran faster than 600 miles per hour!

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I think geographically Florida is the furthest I've been from the UK where I grew up but I was living in Connecticut at the time and I'm not sure that counts :D

For purposes of this icebreaker, go ahead and count it :D

16 hours ago, Jarric said:

Albufeira in southern Portugal, just for a holiday. I'm not exactly well travelled to be fair; I've never got outside of western Europe.

As Wobble-gong(R) mentioned, it is only one kind of each die, and a way for me to control my ability to manipulate the numbers. If I am rolling 2D6, I could pick which die represents which activity after I rolled it (and I know myself well enoughto know that I would totally do that) so I went with different dice fore each activity to keep myself honest

Even never having left Western Europe, you may well have travelled to more countries than others who have gone greater distance :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 10/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, fleaball said:

I was going to lurk but you caught me with the icebreaker. (I was also going to say I'm hiding in your suitcase next time you go somewhere fun like NZ, but then I remembered where you live and that I like breathing, and those things are mutually exclusive.)

I can't tell from a map which is farther from home for me, but it was either Turkey (went on spring break when I was studying in France, with my friend who was studying in Italy at the same time) or Jordan (went to study Arabic and never use it again after coming home). 

Ah, but if I am going somewhere exciting it would most likely be to a place with clean air. You would just have to know when I am leaving and get here just before departure :)

I have long dreamed of going to the middle east to learn Arabic, but the older I get the less plausible this dream becomes

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Queenstown, NZ, which is literally the furthest you can get from Sweden, within 200 km or so. :) I was working in Australia with frequent work trips to NZ at the time. Each time I went to NZ I would take a few days to explore a different place so Queenstown was a semi-holiday.

Also cool challenge. Nice that you found your "why" for improving flexibility!

Wow, that is really far! How long did it take and how many tines did you need to change planes. The farthest from me now is Argentina, but I had a business trip scheduled to Brazil that would have been pretty close. It ended up getting cancelled but it would have been 39 hours on 4 different planes

14 hours ago, Vincent Van Bro said:

I spent two weeks in Seattle and Olympia, Washington for Kung Fu summer camp.

I once spent two days in Seattle, but never left the airport (layover from hell). I do not have fond memories of that place.

14 hours ago, LadyShello said:

I love dice roll workouts!  

The furthest I've been from home was a trip to France in high school as a summer exchange student.  

My high school french program arranged a summer trip to france but I had to skip it because I didn't have anyway to come up with that kind of money. 

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

13 hours ago, mr_willes said:

La Palma, which is just off the coast of Northern Africa. I don't mind travelling far, i rather travel to a place i can have much fun riding my bike. Like the Spanish Pyrenees and Italian Dolomites this year :D.

Here to keep you accountable with the stretching, i'm always in awe with people putting that up as a goal...

Reveal hidden contents

I mean come on:

Dolomites:

dwfO5vE.jpg

Pyrenees:

gpXr58I.jpg

Oh man, I am so jealous. You couldn't ask for some more beautiful riding destinations

11 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

At 8,921 miles from home, the city of Kochi in Kerala, India is the farthest I have ever traveled. I went for family reasons/leisure. My cousin married a man from India and their son needed to have a ceremony performed. My cousin's father in law was integral to the ceremony but unable to travel at the time, so they had to go to him in India. They invited the extended family along and those of us who decided to go had a great trip! 

That sound like a really wonderful trip. Having a local host makes a huge difference when visiting unfamiliar places

10 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

So, furthest from home depends on what I count as "home". My hometown is in Washington State, but I've spent most of my life in Maryland. It's either Seattle, which both times I've been there were as side trips since it's relatively close to Spokane (my hometown), where we were visiting family. If I count my hometown as home, than it would be Puerto Rico, where I traveled to visit my wife (she's from there).

It's one of every die, how is that confusing? :P 

Oh really good point. I was basing New Zealand relative to the US, but given that I have lived in Beijing longer than anywhere else, I checked a globe and discovered that Boston in the farthest I have been from here.  While I was checking the globe, I also discoved that Singapore is farther than New Zealand so depending on the definition of "home" my answer is either Boston (actually Devons) where Iwent on military TDY or Singapore which was another business trip

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Welcome to Druids! Even if you’re only visiting for a while, you are welcome to stay as long as you like.

cf4cae878aa102b8528e055b48d3aa03.gif

Stayyyyyyyyyyyy. As long as you like..

Flexibility is an awesome goal, and will really help your progress in becoming the Best Ranger You Can Be.  It will also be a great tool to prevent injuries in the future and helps with lengthening your walking stride, preventing falls, and improving sleep. 

You may enjoy trying it some yoga too, which a great combination of strength and stretching. I like Yoga with Adrienne because 1. It’s free and 2.she never gets too  "be one with the trees" but is relaxed and fun. 

Best of luck! I hope you reach ( heehee, I couldn’t resist) your goals!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have never tried yoga because it seemed pointless without at least a minimum level of flexibility. I suspect I will end up trying it at some point.

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Following.

Yay! Welcome :)

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

12 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I love it! But credit goes to Zeroh for the dice, not me. (I know, now we're both Rebel GLs it's like we're the same person.)

Oops, my bad. Zeroh posted right after you and I didn't check carefully as I was writing up responses.  

Also, congratulations to both of you for being selected as GLs. You guys will be great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I admit I don't really get not wanting to stand if you are already on the plane. If you were on a lower flight (say 30,000ft) you could stand up and still be way lower than sitting at 40k ft. Also, if you run down the aisle while it is in flight, you can tell people you ran faster than 600 miles per hour!

It's not a case of being higher it's that I am terribly afraid of heights. Even in lifts (elevators), I start to feel light headed and my first reaction is to hit the floor. If I am sitting down, I don't get anywhere near as dizzy. This is all it is. If I was walking down the aisle of a plane and bad turbulence hit my first response would be to hit the deck and that would be too embarrassing to endure. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For LYUL, I learned that Guo Wengui, the Chinese billionaire in the US who is making great effort discredit Wang Qishan (Xi Jinping's anti-curruption enforcer) made his money as a property developer with the Pangu Group, which, as a matter of pure coincidence, is the owner of the building where I work.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor jibber jabber gif

In other words, WHAT?!?! I read that sentence too fast and was all

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor funny eyed gif

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh man, I am so jealous. You couldn't ask for some more beautiful riding destinations

I truly feel blessed being able to do these things, especially in the postion i'm in (working dad). There are quite a few tourguides, but most of them are single, don't have kids, or have kids that are adults themselves.

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

13 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

It's one of every die, how is that confusing?

By Jove you're right! I don't know how I missed that, they're even in order! *facepalm*

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

As Wobble-gong(R) mentioned, it is only one kind of each die, and a way for me to control my ability to manipulate the numbers. If I am rolling 2D6, I could pick which die represents which activity after I rolled it (and I know myself well enoughto know that I would totally do that) so I went with different dice fore each activity to keep myself honest

And that makes total sense! I was imagining you rolling one at a time, and wondering why you were rolling bigger dice when smaller ones would give you the same number of options!

• Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map