HAHAHAHAHA. It was worth tendonitis just to get that challenge title.

So, for those folks who’ve lost track at home, I’ve been having some tendonitis issues in my left knee for a few months, and mid-August I tweaked it really badly and I think it’s developed into ITB syndrome, so I’m spending this challenge doing rehab work and not inflicting any more damage. While I’m at the knee rehab, I have a couple of other nagging issues that need fixing, so I’m going to go for the three-pointer and include those in THE REHAB CHALLENGE.

My twelve-step program:

Rehab One: The Knee

I have what I have self-diagnosed as an ITB injury, so I’m doing the following things to repair and rebuild the tendon:

- I’ve pulled all the squat and squat-like movements out of my workout. This means no back squats, no wall balls, no thrusters, no box squats, no rower if I can avoid it. Sigh. So depressing. I can still deadlift, though, so I still have a reason to live.

- eat soup once a day, for the collagen, to help rebuild. I’ll start making my own again (bone broth) and eat Mexican Chicken Soup and Pho at my favorite dives as often as possible.

*nerd note: the homework I’ve been doing indicates that vitamin C improves collagen & protein uptake, which I found very interesting given that it’s traditional to squeeze a lime into Pho, which is my very favorite thing. Likewise for Tortilla soup, which is also my favorite thing. Actually I think we can all just agree that food is my favorite thing. I’ll be squeezing lemons and limes into all my food is the important bit.

- Add abductor work to my workout. Leg lifts! So very, very Jane Fonda. Working abductor muscles should stabilize my knee joint and increase my hip strength, which in turn strengthens the joints below. I bought a resistance band in a particularly eye-searing shade of yellow to help with this.

-  exercise micro-bursts: This basically means that 3 times a day I grab the little 10-pound barbells I keep in my office and do some OH press, bicep curls, etc for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. There’s some studies that indicate this increases the body’s output of growth hormone, which in turn helps with healing.

http://www.gnolls.org/191/walk-it-off-sally-why-exercise-helps-speed-injury-recovery/

Rehab TWO: Blood Pressure

My blood pressure is high. I check it fairly regularly at that machine at the Publix, and it runs pretty steadily at 160 over 80. That’s officially hypertension, so unless I want to go on the medication merry-go-round, I need to get it down, stat. I also had a point this summer where it spiked to 190/80 for a few days and I nearly checked myself into the hospital because I was sure my brain was going to explode, but I may have just eaten an entire bag of teriaki beef jerky right before hand so I decided to wait and see if it normalized on its own (I cut all the salt out of my food too) and it did. But it’s not down enough.

- Lower salt intake (obviously). Salt free seasoning, no bacon. I’ll have to make my own soups as much as possible because my GOD commercially available soup is salty. I checked a beef broth package in the store yesterday and it had 893 mg sodium PER SERVING. How does it even stay suspended in the liquid? Does it just precipitate out to the bottom and that’s why you have to shake the box?

- Drink more water: I ashamed to admit that I drink almost no water. I mean it not like I'm doing shots of Early Times instead, I just tend to drink coffee all day and forget to drink water, and I drink soda with some of my meals. So I’ll switch to exclusively water and only one coffee a day.

- Meditation: I had a really good run with meditation for a while but I stopped over the summer. It’s time for it to come back. Calming, lowers tension, blah blah blah.

-  Add potassium: There’s some studies* that show increasing your potassium is just as important as decreasing your sodium, so I’ve switched to a “Lite Salt” that’s higher in potassium and I’ll eat bananas and potatoes as my preferred carbs, as they’re high in potassium. Finally, an excuse to have baked potatoes every day!

-  Forest Bathing: okay, this is fucking weird, I admit, but APPARENTLY it’s a thing. You just go out and sit and look at nature, and it’s supposed to be very calming and can lower your blood pressure and tension. The Japanese are all about it. It’s probably effective just because you get away from your goddamn phone for twenty minutes but at this point I’ll try anything.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1870381/take-two-hours-pine-forest-and-call-me-morning

Rehab Three: Posture

I have really bad upper-body posture (kyphosis) from too much time on the computer and phone. The bike probably aggravates this.  I swear my head is about three inches in front of my shoulders, like a swaybacked horse. 

- Yoga, especially stuff that will work that posterior chain. The bike training program I use (Sufferfest) has a yoga program built into it that’s specifically for bikers, so I’ll use that. I already do yoga periodically so I just have to remember to do it.

- Trap work and core work: I have a phobia of making my traps larger as they’re already big, but I’m going to work some trap/upper back exercises into my routine and see if I can strengthen/straighten that upper shoulder/lower neck region. I also almost never do core work, so that goes in too. It can take the place of squatting (sob)

- I might not get this far, but I may make myself some sort of standing desk. Better for your back and all that.

So that’s it! I actually started some of these things last week so I have a little bit of a head start, but I think you’re supposed to be in rehab for 45 days anyway so I don’t feel bad about it :-) 

I know it sounds like a lot of things, but some items overlap - like dropping squats and replacing with abductor work, or yoga and meditation - and some are just a matter of replacing things once, like buying the “lite” salt and some salt-free seasoning mixes. I’ve already weaned myself off soda (and had a headache for three days) so drinking more water is sort of automatic. (Although I may spend more time peeing.) Eating soup is easy, since I kind of live to eat anyway. The hardest things will be remembering the “micro-bursts” of exercise and the forest bathing. I’m glad mosquito season is over.

So my knee has been bad, but when it comes back, you'll know, know, know...

By the way, Amy Winehouse looks stoned to the cats in that video. How did we not know she was on drugs?

* “God,” I hear you saying, “enough with the studies already!” Nerdbrain. Sorry.

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Following along for the rehab!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following for rehab.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nice challenge. Love some bone broth. To mess with your brain  I recommend this book "The Salt Fix, Why Experts got it wrong, and How Eating More Salt May Save Your Life"

I've had pre-pertension to hypertension most of my adult life, and exercise didn't seem to help. What helped me was upping the potassium, lowering sugar, drinking more water, and INCREASING(yep that's right) my salt intake. Only a very small percentage of people are  salt sensitive, and even that doesn't make much of a difference in blood pressure. Anyway, I recommend the book so you see a different side of sodium and blood pressure.

Edit to add: I also take  Cardiotone, an herbal supplement my doctor recommended.You can buy it on Amazon. Sorry, lot of info when you weren't asking for advice. Feel free to ignore if you want:) BP is just a battle I've been waging for so long, that I'm excited to share what worked for me.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Here for rehab solidarity and soup

Related image

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 10/16/2017 at 9:52 AM, doctorake said:

Following along. Man i need to get some Pho, been way too long.

Itb injuries suck, i hope this works out well.

I love Pho. I should experiment with some other flavors, I always just get the chicken. 

Odd Pho fact: the best pho I have ever had was in the Chinatown in Montreal. Weird. It was mind-blowingly good.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:05 AM, jonfirestar said:

Following along for the rehab!

Hi! I'm following your valiant runs on Strava. Amazing!

On 10/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for rehab.

I shall call upon you if my knee needs spiritual guidance. Or just exorcism. Wait, is that just Catholics? Or can anyone drive out knee demons?

On 10/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, Elastigirl said:

Nice challenge. Love some bone broth. To mess with your brain  I recommend this book "The Salt Fix, Why Experts got it wrong, and How Eating More Salt May Save Your Life"

I will totally read this, as I have a contrary streak that makes me assume most standard medical knowledge is incomplete.

I sympathise with your hypertension issues. My mother has also had it virtually her whole life, and her poor experiences with the various medications and their horrible side effects is one reason I'm so resistant to going the medication route. (Also because probably because it plays into my ongoing phobia of turning into my mother.)

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Do me a favor, if your blood pressure ever spikes like that again, get yourself to the hospital.

Probably you are correct in this. I had a very nervous three or four days.

Actually the only reason I didn't immediately go to the doctor was because I had checked it like a week before and it was in it's usual range (160-ish) and I just checked it on a whim a few days later and WHOA. I actually initially assumed the machine was broken, so I checked it again a couple days later at a different machine and WHOAAAAAA not broken. I was really nervous for a few days. I'd been experimenting with a DHEA supplement at the time and it may have been that - it gave me mad fluid retention. I gave it a few more days and checked again and it was back down, so I don't know what caused it. Probably all that teryaki beef jerky. I haven't been able to eat it since. Sigh.

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Here for rehab solidarity and soup

Related image

How long did it take to rehab your finger? Is it still in therapy?

My soup is currently simmering away in the crockpot. I got a rotisserie chicken yesterday, so I stripped all the meat off and threw the bones in the crockpot, with some onions, celery, white wine, seasoning, and some dried porcini mushrooms I had lurking about. I got a pound each of chicken drumsticks and chicken backs at the farmers market and they're in there too. ( I gave my cat some of a drumstick, cut up of course. He was VERY excited.) Last week's batch was bland, so I'm hoping this is better. 

proper update for this week so far later, just wanted to respond to everyone. Go kill it out there!

(but calmly, in a non-stressful fashion)

• Like 2

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

7 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

How long did it take to rehab your finger? Is it still in therapy?

It's still in a splint right now. The bone should(?) have fused and I'm taking the split off regularly to do mobility exercises. Hopefully the splint will be off in a little over a week and then it's just ongoing rehab and building my grip strength back up again. I'll be happy when I don't have to keep passing bottles and jars to Stu to open them for me.

10 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

My soup is currently simmering away in the crockpot. I got a rotisserie chicken yesterday, so I stripped all the meat off and threw the bones in the crockpot, with some onions, celery, white wine, seasoning, and some dried porcini mushrooms I had lurking about. I got a pound each of chicken drumsticks and chicken backs at the farmers market and they're in there too. ( I gave my cat some of a drumstick, cut up of course. He was VERY excited.) Last week's batch was bland, so I'm hoping this is better. 

Sounds lovely. After reading your challenge earlier, I made myself chicken noodle soup for lunch with some roasted chicken thighs I had left over. It was very yummy.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Also, turning off the news and Twitter.

JFC isn't that the truth. I have a self-imposed ban on news sites. Every time I check the news I want to put my head under a train.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

13 minutes ago, deftona said:

Here to follow, although I am pretty bummed the forest bathing bit isn't about taking baths in the woods. 

me too. Less chance of ant bites to the ass, though.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 10/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, Elastigirl said:

lot of info when you weren't asking for advice.

more info is almost always better! I ordered a sample of the book, I'll probably get the whole thing.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Mid week update:

Sunday: rode my bike. Not much else

monday:

meditated: yes

forest bathing: yes. My herb garden has weeds. I stared at them.

soup: yes, tortilla soup at mexican place

water: excellent. 

workout: gym, basic lifty things. I had to warm up on the rower as a lady was on the one stationary bike we have. I have to resist the urge to pull everyone aside and tell them, in a very serious "let me talk to you about jesus" tone of voice, about my deadlift. I may just get it printed on a t-shirt.

tuesday: 

meditation, no; yoga, yes. Also: leg lifts!

forest bathing: weeds are still there. Sitting with my phone in airplane mode for 20 minutes makes me twitch. 

Soup: no

water: i am the very essence of hydration, a water sprite. Also i am peeing 9000 times a day.

workout: bike on the indoor trainer. I'm about to sign up for a training program with the company that makes the bike videos I use because i want to take 10 minutes off my 52-mile loop time by my birthday.

Wednesday: 

meditation: yes, but very scattery, couldnt shut the two work projects I have coming up next week out of my mind

forest bathing: no

soup: yes, vietnamese soup at lunch. Also a bahn mi sandwich yum

water: terrible. I didnt drink any soda, i just didnt really drink anything. Lots of coffee.

Workout: gym. Got a 90 pound bench press for 3 sets of five. Broke down amd told the Gym owner about my deadlift but kept it zipped otherwise.

ended day by getting email that one of my two jobs for next week cancelled. Arrgh.

Thursday: (today)

meditation: tried, hopelessly bad

yoga: yes, 15 minute video plus 10 mins deep breathing exercises

my day kind of went off the rails at that point because I had this long organised list of things to do amd then I got another email saying my second job for next week was pushing to the following week and I was just like screw it.

forest bathing: no, but I did go out and do some of the weeding I noticed earlier

soup: I had some of my homemade chicken soup for breakfast, amd then after I realized I didn't have to do any work stuff due to job postponing i went out to lunch amd had soup there, too. Pretty sure my blood is now at least 40% broth

workout: supposed to ride bike trainer but didn't. Mantis signed us up for that Thanksgiving ride I put on Sloths page, where you do a shot of whiskey, ride a few miles, eat a thanksgiving-themed burrito, ride some more, eat a piece of pumpkin pie, run an obsactle course, ride some more and then slam a can of Pabst beer. Going by the description alone I feel I have a 90% chance of finishing in the top five, if not on the podium.

For tomorrow I was planning to go to the November project bootcamp, but I have to get up at 5 am if I want to do it (it starts at 6:30). This is less and less appealing as the day goes on, so I dont know if I'll go. 

All for now...

• Like 3

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Hey...I remember you had a challenge a while back that was all about being outside, camping and stuff. And I think there was some kind of campfire part of it??

Anyway, isn't staring at a flame another thing that's supposed to lower blood pressure? Maybe campfires etc. could be a variation on the forest bathing?

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I am intrigued by the forest bathing and will follow along to see if you find it makes a difference. I'd love an excuse to get out into nature more :)

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

200 swings on the sledgehammer today. Just call me John Henry

also I knocked my new 'lite salt' shaker over and spilled it all over the table, and now it looks like I'm about to go on an 80's style coke binge

• Like 4

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 10/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, TiffanyD said:

Here for the witty banter, and awesomeness that follows.  

I'm pretty sure it's less "witty banter" and more "incoherent ramblings" but I'm glad you're here!

On 10/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, Xena said:

Hey...I remember you had a challenge a while back that was all about being outside, camping and stuff. And I think there was some kind of campfire part of it??

Anyway, isn't staring at a flame another thing that's supposed to lower blood pressure? Maybe campfires etc. could be a variation on the forest bathing?

I did! I should bring that challenge back now that the weather is better. I actually had a campfire that night after I did my update.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:17 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

From the video it looks like speed eating and drinking, without hurling, is the key to victory. You have a few weeks to train; I believe in you.

Right in my wheelhouse. I hate pumpkin pie, though; I'll have to power through that.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:22 PM, EmeraldEagle said:

I am intrigued by the forest bathing and will follow along to see if you find it makes a difference. I'd love an excuse to get out into nature more :)

It'll be interesting... I have no idea if it will work although in general the more time I spend outside the better I feel.

Week Zero update and summary!

This week went really well. I did most of my rehab-y things:

Knee Rehab:

- avoided squats

- ate soup by the truckload

- abductor work: ALL THE LEG LIFTS. Bring me some legwarmers we are going right back to the 80's here

- exercise micro-bursts: this was the one item that was an abject fail. Need to work on it. Or start shooting up human growth hormone.

result: my knee feels like it's improving, it no longer hurts to get up from a chair (or the toilet) and after I work out the tendons/ligaments in my knee no longer feel swollen and thick. It was a little tender today - think rubbing a bruise sort of pain - but I did a pretty stiff workout on the bike yesterday on the trainer.

I think I've memorized the anatomy of the human knee from all the diagrams I've looked at.

Blood Pressure Rehab:

- haven't completely cut back salt (especially since I'm reading The Salt Fix which @Elastigirl recommended) but I'm cutting back on processed foods that are overloaded with salt and using sea salt and an herbal-mix salt, which have some nutritional benefits. I do have some salt-free seasonings that I'm using as well, with a very light addition of sea salt.

-Drink more water: I have gone almost two weeks without any soda or juice, so my water intake is up considerably. As a side benefit I started out this challenge at 214 pounds and Friday I weighed in at 209.5. I haven't changed anything else so it has to be the sugar/carb cut from the soda.

Meditation: ommmmmmmmmmmm

Add potassium: I'm gradually switching all my starches over to banannas, plantains, and potatoes, as they are high in potassium. I'm eating avocados for the same reason (and also, because they are yummy). I bought a "salt substitute" that is potassium-based, but I'm more mixing it with my regular salt that using it straight; I'd like to go the real food route first. Saying farewell to bread and tortillas this week.

Forest bathing: Mixed feelings on this. I think I need to go to a park instead of just my backyard, to really turn off the brain. It did inspire me to start weeding the herb patch, but then I got stung by a bee, so I'm not sure that's a plus.

Posture Rehab:

Doing all the yoga, added core work, working my upper back some. Just being more conscious of my posture probably helps. This week's goal will be to stand up and stretch every hour while working at the desk.

Definite progress! Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines...

• Like 5

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

14 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

As a side benefit I started out this challenge at 214 pounds and Friday I weighed in at 209.5. I haven't changed anything else so it has to be the sugar/carb cut from the soda.

That's a pretty major win! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Having an incredibly irritating day. Can't find a job. Everything I own is slightly broken. Laptop is crapping out so I bought a new (refurbed) Airbook online that I can't afford, and it took like twelve tries because AMEX kept kicking the charge back thinking it was fraud. Updated my bike training program and now it won't read any of my periferals, arrgh. Coffee shop I work in has had the same Bjork album on repeat loud as hell for the last four hours, annoying as hell. 

I'm fasting today which is not helping at all. Also I've had like four coffees.

I realize none of this is like being sentenced to an Imperial Labor Camp but siiiiiiiigh...

Came over here and @mr_willes @Sloth the Enduring and @deftona immediately made me laugh. Day vastly got better.

Two more office hours and then it's "fuck this shit o'clock".  I'm going to the gym and then to the regurgitated fish restaurant.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Urgh, sorry your day is so shitty. And even if that Bjork album is "Debut" which is one of the greatest albums ever, having it on repeat for hours is enough to make it sound like Rick Astley's greatest hits instead. 

I hope the day turns around. Enjoy the regurgitated fish! another one of those unique NF sentences right there...

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten