On 10/27/2017 at 10:23 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

They want to see the look of shock when they do it. It's not about hoping for sex. As with all forms of sexual assault, it's about power. The offender can control who they flash, and the person flashed doesn't know it's coming. The offender probably feels power just knowing they can flash someone.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Why do dudes do this? Is it an actual thought they have, like, "I'm going to show a random woman my penis and I'm certain she will want to do something with it?"

I just always wonder.

In my case it was far enough away that A. I didn't see anything in 4k, and B.  I kind of just stopped, threw my hands up and Nope'd the hell the other way.  Then called Ben to tell him about the odd ass occurrence. If he was closer I probably would have seriously messed with him, but I am a strange lady...  And my dad always taught me that if you don't have a weapon crazy is the next best thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge! Updated 9/18

Battle Log

Instagram

2019 Goal - Follow all 3 main programs of Strong Lifts (complete each on time)

On 10/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, Xena said:

Just sounds like a weird tweak. Hope it keeps getting better.

It's improving again. I had a few dark hours on Friday when it was really hurting when I was sure it was something grim - meniscus tear, rheumatism, knee cancer (just went straight to the worst)  - but it steadily improved over the weekend and now I'm back to no severe pain, just an awareness of the joint, so to speak. I'm doing a lot of Kelly Starrett mobility work with a tennis ball.

I think if it was a meniscus tear it wouldn't come and go like it does; it would just hurt all the time. At least that's the hope. 

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

week one summary: ALL THE PROGRESS!

KNEE: as noted in my reply to @Xena above, my knee has improved again to a point of 1-on-a-scale-of-10 pain. It was really doling out the pain Thursday and Friday but it steadily improved through the weekend (I was being really careful with it which I'm sure helped, and I did a super hot bath soak on Saturday). 

According to the internet rabbit-holing I've done the secret seems to be keeping the joint in motion without putting it under load, to increase blood and fluid flow to the joint and tissues. Fortunately the rehab for a meniscus tear and ITBS or tendonitis is very similar, so at least if it DOES turn out to be a tear, I'm already working towards healing it.

BLOOD PRESSURE: HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS SOMETHING IS WORKING!

I tested my BP the beginning of zero week so I could have a baseline. It was 162/90. I checked it on Thursday of last week and its down to 158/86!

Granted that's not a huge drop but it's a trend in the right direction. I don't know exactly which of the things I'm doing is helping but I suspect it's the potassium increase. I know it's not the forest bathing because I didn't get that done last week at all. But I'll keep incorporating it. Also, I think I should note that I took that improved blood pressure reading the day after I went out for sushi with friends and ate a ton of soy sauce. I was actually expecting the machine to explode when I plugged myself in. So @Elastigirl's book suggestion - that salt is not the primary issue - may be right after all.

I also lost about 6 pounds in the last two weeks so that is probably having an effect. I'm still not drinking soda so hopefully that trend will continue as well. Having trouble drinking enough water though.

POSTURE: better, I guess? I have no idea. I'm doing yoga and I put some new moves in the workout. When I run my fingers from between my shoulder blades up my neck, the dip where my spine goes from my back up into my neck doesn't seem as pronounced.

Anyway, a very good week one (although I ate WAY to much over the weekend) and now plunging into week two. Is Tank's weekly inspiration up yet? Gotta get psyched.

• Like 6

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Yay, glad it is working! When people ask me what worked, it's always a bit hard to answer, since I tried a bunch of stuff. But I tested it like you did and salt doesn't have any effect.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Is Tank's weekly inspiration up yet? Gotta get psyched.

It was posted yesterday.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I also lost about 6 pounds in the last two weeks so that is probably having an effect. I'm still not drinking soda so hopefully that trend will continue as well. Having trouble drinking enough water though.

This is awesome! Great job on the weight loss, and so great that you're able to loose weight while being limited in your workouts. For me the game changer with water was to add ice. For some reason I drink at least twice as much water when it's ice cold.

• Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

On 27/10/2017 at 4:36 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

"Day of the living irritation" by no means sounds like a proper 80s hair metal band, but we could save it for the title of our debut album. I'd go with "Tizzy" instead, or "Titzzy" even better. Also, we should bring in @Mr_Willes and @T2sarahconnor on board for this.

Alright fellas, I'll get the hairspray

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

On 11/2/2017 at 3:03 PM, Agnarr said:

Alright fellas, I'll get the hairspray

giphy.gif

I would be afraid to smoke around this guy. His hair looks extremely flammable.

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

post didnt work. disregard

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Discovery of the day:

apparently hi-rep deadlifts followed by heavy leg presses are contra-indicated if you ever want to use your thighs again

live and learn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

2 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Discovery of the day:

apparently hi-rep deadlifts followed by heavy leg presses are contra-indicated if you ever want to use your thighs again

live and learn...

Deadlifts are way more important than leg press, if you do real squats the leg press is really redundant.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

But deadlifts don't give you the quad gains every cyclist would kill for.

5x10 Squats at 60% of your 1RM.

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Deadlifts are way more important than leg press, if you do real squats the leg press is really redundant.

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

But deadlifts don't give you the quad gains every cyclist would kill for.

30 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

5x10 Squats at 60% of your 1RM.

22 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Ouch. I've done high rep squats in the past, but it takes a lot of mental toughness.

When you two are done fighting this out, kindly refer back to Page One, Section One of my challenge, which explicitly states that I have a knee injury and cannot do squats; indeed, it is the core, the raison d'etre of the entire challenge, if you will. 

Please turn in your remedial homework by Thursday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

4 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

When you two are done fighting this out, kindly refer back to Page One, Section One of my challenge, which explicitly states that I have a knee injury and cannot do squats; indeed, it is the core, the raison d'etre of the entire challenge, if you will. 

Please turn in your remedial homework by Thursday.

Ooooh, Trippy said knock you out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Solid point. I forgot. I'm a bit surprised the leg press doesn't bother your knee too.

You got me thinking about my quads. Imma dust off the trap bar and start doing that unholy squat-dead hybrid. Prolly won't work up to 5X10 though.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Solid point. I forgot. I'm a bit surprised the leg press doesn't bother your knee too.

You got me thinking about my quads. Imma dust off the trap bar and start doing that unholy squat-dead hybrid. Prolly won't work up to 5X10 though.

I'm gonna pretend the bolded section is why I had forgotten you were working around a knee injury ;) 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, Xena said:

I really want forest bathing to be the answer. Or even better forest bathing combined with a bunch of other things in a complicated way, so you can never quite rule it out and have to keep doing it.

I pretty much ascribe to this theory. Which is why sometimes it is medically necessary to cancel all other adulting and just go geocaching.:)

Seriously, I don't think I listed forest bathing as one of my treatment for hypertension, but I really do find being out in nature (which is usually forests ) very relaxing, and a good form of meditation for me.

• Like 3

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

While I try to find the Rick Flair ESPN documentary on tv, a brief week two summary:

Knee: still slowly improving. I tripped up the stairs on Thursday and hurt it again but the pain subsided within a day. Still doing yoga, mobility work, etc. I suspect I will not be able to start squatting again in week four of this challenge, which was my plan; it may take a couple more weeks.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:14 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm a bit surprised the leg press doesn't bother your knee too.

It's a quirky thing; certain angles and moves don't bother it at all, and then some really simple things (like pressing on the clutch pedal in the car or getting out of a chair) hurt like a bitch. But before I decided to stop squatting altogether, I could still do the tire flip with no problem, probably because that deep sumo squat you use for that move somehow bypasses the injured bit. I'm increasingly thinking I have a small tendon/ligament pull - when I bend my leg and rotate my foot I can actually put my finger on the point of pain and feel the muscle moving. It's always on the outside of the knee, either just above or just below the joint - never under the kneecap itself.

Anyway, it's getting better, just slowly. I can now go up the stairs with both legs, rather than one leg at a time, drunken pirate style.

Side note, this week's chicken broth is the best so far. Apparently the combo of legs, backs AND wings is the secret for getting it to gel. It is literally chicken-flavored jello.

Blood pressure: HOLY SHIT CONTINUING TO WORK WTF

zero week: 162/90, way the fuck too high

week one: 158/86, slight improvement but good for just 10 days

week two: 144/83 HOLY MOTHER OF SAUSAGES

I don't think I've seen my BP under 150 in like five years. I am still not drinking soda and though I haven't lost any more weight (still 208) my clothes feel looser. The big change I made this week is that I added soba noodles to my diet - I either eat them with hard boiled eggs for breakfast or add some to my soup. Soba noodles are made partially of buckwheat, and there's a flavonoid in buckwheat called rutin that has been shown to lower blood pressure. (there's also magnesium and fiber in them as well).

Last week I was eating them every other day; this week I'm eating them daily (just an ounce or two; I made a big batch and keep it in the fridge). I haven't cut back my salt intake, but all my other (non-soba) carbs are coming from high-potassium sources - potatoes, bananas, and plantains. I still need to drink more water. Also think it's important to note that I had this 12-point drop during a week where I was on an Asian food tear - I ate sushi, Japanese hot pot, thai food, and korean food all in the space of that week. Which you would think would make my blood pressure go thru the roof. Yet here we are.

Posture: meh. Lot of time at the desk this week.

So week two was very successful, I'm thinking. Week three is off with a bang, I didn't work out Monday but Tuesday I had a killer workout at the gym and hit two new PR's:

Deadlift: 3 sets of 4 reps at #165, a ten-pound jump from last week;

OH Press: 3 sets of 4 reps at #95, a ten-pound increase from last week and a five pound beatdown of my best previous one-set PR. It was hard, though, not gonna lie. Actually the hardest part is the hang clean; my first set I looked at the loaded bar sitting there and actually freaked myself out and had to walk away for a minute before I came back and then I got it up with no problem.

All of this competely destroyed my pullups later in the workout, though. My arms were like, "ah...no."

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

58 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

While I try to find the Rick Flair ESPN documentary on tv, a brief week two summary:

Which documentary? I want to watch it too, I wonder if it's on the WWE Network. 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I don't think I've seen my BP under 150 in like five years. I am still not drinking soda and though I haven't lost any more weight (still 208) my clothes feel looser. 

That is amazing!

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 11/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Ouch. I've done high rep squats in the past, but it takes a lot of mental toughness.

48 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

50/50 is fun too

1 set 50 reps @ 50% bodyweight!

Oow you said no squats....

I miss hi-rep squats. I used to do 3 sets of 20 reps at 115, and then for a while I did pyramid sets of 95 x 20, 105 x 18, 115 x 15, on up until I was at 175 for 3. It was hella fun to do.

This is probably why my knees are now garbage.

47 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That is amazing!

you are kindness itself. thank you

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Which documentary? I want to watch it too, I wonder if it's on the WWE Network. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20162008

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)