Akari paints herself a brighter world

Akari

When I started to draw with Copic Markers I was disappointed. Not enough colours, not the right colours, ... My drawings looked terrible. So I put them aside and didn't used them for almost a year. Now I gave it a new try and searched the internet for tutorials. I found out that I not only can mix the colours on paper but also on the pen itself, without ruining it. When I showed my drawing to my family they were impressed. My sister shouted out: now you need to post that on Facebook and then you become famous. I'm far away from that. ;)

Goal for this challenge: each day a little drawing or a part of a bigger one. I also thought about making a calendar. I have one where all months and days are imprinted, but with empty pages. I could gift it to my family on Christmas.

Nutrition:

In the past month I ate a lot - out of frustration, out of boredom or because cake and chocolate taste so good. I'm now at 68 kg. Last year I was down to 62. So, next four weeks no sugar, no white flour, except on one day in the week. Instead meat, fish and vegetables. Just 3 meals per day.

Training:

Monday: Dancing

All other days: one day bodyweight training, the other day running

Exam preparations:

I need to continue to prepare for exam in February. And I need to prepare for the tests in the next 3 weeks.

Language learning:

I want to continue with my French book. Each day one page.

Trumpet: 5 minutes per day to train my lip muscles again

• Like 5

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

Hey Akari, welcome back! I'm glad to hear you tried the copic marker trick and it came out looking well, I remember you mentioning wanting to look into it last challenge. 

You've probably talked about it before, but what are you studying for? The exam you're preparing for, I mean. What kinds of preparations are you planning to do, exactly? Daily studying (how much?), practice tests (how often?), study group (with whom?)...? Having some specifics laid out might make it easier to track how you're doing on the challenge. Your other goals look great!

• Like 3

@Wobbegong

I do an apprenticeship as clerk in an industrial enterprise. I finished already the first year. The exam in February is similar to the final exam. It just counts nothing towards the end. But if I'm good I can ask to shorten the apprenticeship by half a year.

I have a book with hundreds of questions to prepare for the exam. 10 new questions per day and I can get through everything till end of February. Half of the topics I had already in school, so it's possible.

And then there is the Business English exam in March. I want to practice 2 - 3 days per week. It's not that difficult. Writing offers, business emails.. 

• Like 4

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

Welcome back.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your drawings with the markers again. I think making the calendar for Christmas is a great idea.

It looks like your goals are very well thought out. I love that you have a great plan for your studying and how to make it manageable. Hopefully the exam goes well and you can get out of the apprenticeship a bit early.

• Like 3

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

I slept really bad the last couple of nights. I dreamt all kind of nonsense or lay awake a few hours. All because of work.

This morning I had the feeling of panic. Do this, do that. Why you haven't that finished already? I told myself to stay calm and order everything by priority. I tried to tell myself that my colleagues aren't pissed because of me but because all the problems over all. All problems literally come from us having no qualified people, while having to many orders. (If our workers would be treated and payed better they might stay.)

In the afternoon I should order some special electronic parts. It was really urgent. Without them the biomass combustion plant of one of our clients doesn't run. Without the plant running that client can't produce his goods. Good that someone takes his time to explain me what exactly I shall order. Pure irony! I had no clue. I had an offer from our supplier but not all needed stuff was written there. My boss searched then everything together, so I had just to call our supplier and tell "I need x, y, z."

What I don't like too is that it isn't always clear who is responsible for some tasks. Usually one person is responsible for everything related to one client order. But sometimes 3 people at once work on it.

I know already everything what is needed to process a complete client order. I just need a bit more practice so I learn to deal with unexpected situations. When the next spare parts order comes in and I know exactly what the client needs then I will ask if I can do it. So I can show everyone that I'm able to do this.

Btw I ignored my nutrition plan today and ate sweets. 

Monday I was dancing and yesterday I made 50 kettlebell swings, which where pretty exhausting. I'm not used to them anymore.

• Like 4

I hope you kick ass on that exam so you can shorten your apprenticeship and get the hell out of there. Yikes. 

(Also, like two challenges ago I said something about needing to study German and you offered to help me and I just never replied because I got distracted and forgot. So I'm super late, but thank you for that! Unfortunately German isn't quite as useful to my career goals as some of the other languages I'm working on, so it has to wait for now.)

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hopefully you sleep better tonight. I find its super annoying when your brain decides to mess with your dreams so you can't sleep. I am sorry your day was so crazy.

It sounds like you did okay aside from the nutrition plan. Maybe you should look at the goal as you can have 1 sweet a day instead of 0 so you can find other things to do when stressed instead of trying to go cold turkey with it.

*hugs*

• Like 4

Welcome back Akari!

Good luck with the studying and the exam! The sooner you get out of there, the better.

And have fun with the drawing. :)

On 10/18/2017 at 12:32 PM, Akari said:

I slept really bad the last couple of nights. I dreamt all kind of nonsense or lay awake a few hours. All because of work.

I've had this happen to me too. At least half of my dreams involve some kind of stress at work, except the stress in the dream has nothing to do with the actual stress I'm dealing with at my job. Like, I'd get sent off on some random nonsense errand that has nothing to do with my actual job. And then I just wake up stressed. <_<

Back when I was a student I'd often have dreams where I was working on some project or other, and then I wake up to find out that I never started the project and it was due the next day. Lots of confusion and then panic.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Hey, another French student! I'm going to be practicing French for this challenge too. However, I'm just a beginner! Are you learning it in school or in your free-time?

• Like 3

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

ça va?

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Friday was really exhausting. I was driving around the whole day: 30 min to work, 4 hours to deliver a package to a client and return, one hour break (without coffee, cause I forgot it home), another 2 hours driving to fetch some stuff from two suppliers. The other 2 hours work time somehow passed without getting anything done. And then 1,5 hours to my parents, which I really enjoyed: half the way was through autumn woods on a sunny day. And at home my dog greeted me cheerfully. At 8 I fell into my bed, tired. My dog came with me a was happy that he could come with me under the blanket :D

On Saturday we celebrated grandma's birthday.  It was nice to have the family around. This weekend was like vacation.

Btw, on Thursday and Friday I stayed with my nutrition plan and had no sugar. The reward was the feasting on Saturday. Plan is now to eat no sugar till moms birthday in 2 weeks. (I don't count fruits into that sugar goal, but I won't eat much anyway)

@elinox

I had 5 years of French in school. But during the past 7 years I did nothing, so I forgot a lot. I try to motivate myself to relearn it by reading a fantasy book. That's not so easy. I can deal with every English book but I miss so many words in French. But I have no trouble to follow the grammar even when I can reproduce it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Akari said:

I had 5 years of French in school. But during the past 7 years I did nothing, so I forgot a lot. I try to motivate myself to relearn it by reading a fantasy book. That's not so easy. I can deal with every English book but I miss so many words in French. But I have no trouble to follow the grammar even when I can reproduce it.

I'm using DuoLingo. I use it for Spanish too and it's been great, however the pronunciation is oftentimes hard to understand for the French. I find that I can understand reading it much easier than hearing it, but I think that's pretty common when learning a foreign language. 

• Like 2

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Today I wrote a test in Human resources. Just simple theoretical stuff about how do I get new personal. The result I will receive in two weeks. It's always funny to listen what others wrote as answers. Sometimes it's so ridiculous. I hope I'll get a 1 (best grade in Germany). Last year the only 1 I had at the end of the year was in English. With more I can impress my boss. (And I can show that I tried to improve.)

• Like 3

I really don't like my company.

Monday: The telephone was ringing every 15 min. And I'm the idiot who has to take all the calls: I need spare parts.. I want to speak with Mr... My plant (biomass combustion plant) isn't working...

I talk to the people, I write it down and I send an email to the people responsible (if I can't connect immediately). All no problem as long as there is no other task parallel. Unfortunately I had to print a documentation. 40 files, each 3 times, + all the deviders for them. Nobody seems to understand that this takes a day. Load one file, say print 3 times, press print and wait till the printer received the order, then go to next file... And try to not fall asleep while your pc seems to do this. Alone printing takes over an hour. Then make holes, put everything in folders and don't forget to print onto the deviders. I asked 3 others to help me. The apprentice seemed to be not interested in going home at 16:00. Man konnte ihm im laufen die Schuhe besohlen. The woman: you printed point 2 twice and forgot point 1. And you forgot the second drawing. And where is the complete English documentation? (And in between the telephone) I was happy to be able to go home at 16:30. (A stop at the package center on the way home)

Tuesday school.

Wednesday: How could you forgot to take the other packages with you???

I forgot them cause 1. They are usually collected by the driver of the package center, 2. They were out of my sight in the warehouse, 3. I had so many other stuff going on.

Thursday (today): a client: "I call now since 3 days. My plant isn't working. It's cold. Such a bad service."

I need to deal with angry clients because the one who raged about the forgotten packages doesn't do his job.

I did another mistake today. The raging client told me on Monday he has a backup plant. So I accidentally answered to his "it's cold": but it can't be cold, you told me you have a backup. Today he tells me the backup plant doesn't heat the whole house.

My office colleague was appalled: you can't say "but it can't be cold"! I saw that this was a mistake and told her that I recognize my mistake. But for her that wasn't enough. She had to tell that our supervisor, so I got a speech from her too. When I do a mistake they react always like the world is going down in chaos. 

Yesterday my boss needed to held a speech too about how wonderful accounting calculators are. They work slightly different from scientific calculators and are best for adding lots of figures together. I still prefer the scientific calculator or even better: Excel. I had a price list with spare parts and should calculate our buying-price and our reselling -price. I ignored that accounting calculator and put all figures into excel. Then I wrote down the percentages and with a few clicks I had all 50 buying and all 50 selling prices. And now somebody say: but the accounting calculator is faster.

• Like 2

Just now, Akari said:

I could rage all day about my bad situation. For you it must seem like I am nonstop complaining.

Nah, it's your thread so you can rant and rage all you like. ;)

I hope your situation improves soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge: 

9 hours ago, elinox said:

Nah, it's your thread so you can rant and rage all you like. ;)

I hope your situation improves soon!

I hope that since 14 months.

And soon will be earliest in 15 months, when I passed the exam and am able to get a new job.

• Like 2

Today I broke down into tears again because my supervisor yelled at me: I thought I did everything right at Monday. I couldn't fulfill one order from a client, so I gave everything to my colleague. He ordered the part from our supplier, who sent it to the client. I thought he will finish the order (all papers, invoice) but he didn't and I got blamed for it. And my supervisor said: "Obviously we can't trust you. You can't even finish a simple order." It's not true. I can do this.

Next thing: I am the one who needs to scan the reports when our technicians visited a client. And for whatever reason I put one report to the wrong client in our system. It's not the first time. My supervisor raged that I am unable to do the simplest stuff. I could only reply that I will look better what I do the next time. "You always nod but you don't do it. Tell me how it is not possible for you when all others don't do it wrong?" What shall I answer? That I am to stupid? That is not the case. That I get distracted easily? I made the mistake to say that I need to deal with the telephone and that everyone comes to for something. "You do literally nothing all day and even this is wrong. I had far more to do than you when I was in second year." She always comes to this point. And for me this sounds always like: You are to stupid to do anything!

I feel more and more like that I will never be able to fulfill the expectations. In the beginning I said I want to do accounting. But how shall I ever be able to do this when I can't fulfill the simplest things with 100%.

A few minutes my supervisor came to my colleague and said in a neutral voice: you have a mistake in your invoice.

Why she doesn't yell at her: how can you have a mistake in that invoice when you do nothing else than writing invoices all day? It feels so unfair. Because I do one of 20 times wrong I get yelled at that EVERYTHING I do is WRONG.

I want that people trust me and accept me that they say "good job" but all I always hear is: how can you not do that right?

And I feel ashamed that I am unable to do the simplest things. 

• Like 1

Okay first off, I am sorry I disappeared, its been a week.

This is your challenge and you can vent ad complain all you want. I promise, no one will get mad at you here. You are in a tough spot and I can see and understand the frustration. Hopefully you are going to get out of there soon.

I do wonder if it is a case of  "we pick on the intern because we were picked on as interns so we need to  make sure everyone goes through that" but I can't say for sure since I don't know the area your in.

*Hugs* I wish I had an answer on how to tell, but I really don't. All I can do is tell you that it will get better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I do wonder if it is a case of  "we pick on the intern because we were picked on as interns so we need to  make sure everyone goes through that" but I can't say for sure since I don't know the area your in.

This is a general problem (almost) everywhere.

In Germany there is a saying: Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre. Roughly translated: the years in which you learn you can't rule. Everyone uses that as excuse.

Some light as the end of the day: Never let you go by Kygo and John Newman is out. I'm waiting since months to listen to the full song, even when Kygo's Stargazing is now my favorite.

• Like 2

Today I broke down into tears again because my supervisor yelled at me: I thought I did everything right at Monday. I couldn't fulfill one order from a client, so I gave everything to my colleague. He ordered the part from our supplier, who sent it to the client. I thought he will finish the order (all papers, invoice) but he didn't and I got blamed for it. And my supervisor said: "Obviously we can't trust you. You can't even finish a simple order." It's not true. I can do this.
Next thing: I am the one who needs to scan the reports when our technicians visited a client. And for whatever reason I put one report to the wrong client in our system. It's not the first time. My supervisor raged that I am unable to do the simplest stuff. I could only reply that I will look better what I do the next time. "You always nod but you don't do it. Tell me how it is not possible for you when all others don't do it wrong?" What shall I answer? That I am to stupid? That is not the case. That I get distracted easily? I made the mistake to say that I need to deal with the telephone and that everyone comes to for something. "You do literally nothing all day and even this is wrong. I had far more to do than you when I was in second year." She always comes to this point. And for me this sounds always like: You are to stupid to do anything!
I feel more and more like that I will never be able to fulfill the expectations. In the beginning I said I want to do accounting. But how shall I ever be able to do this when I can't fulfill the simplest things with 100%.
A few minutes my supervisor came to my colleague and said in a neutral voice: you have a mistake in your invoice.
Why she doesn't yell at her: how can you have a mistake in that invoice when you do nothing else than writing invoices all day? It feels so unfair. Because I do one of 20 times wrong I get yelled at that EVERYTHING I do is WRONG.
I want that people trust me and accept me that they say "good job" but all I always hear is: how can you not do that right?

And I feel ashamed that I am unable to do the simplest things. 

I wonder if the supervisor have given up on your colleague but not on you. They seem bored at your colleague mistake and take at heart yours. Surely yelling is not the right technique though! But maybe they are expecting you to be exceptional because you are :)
  • Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

On 10/27/2017 at 9:51 AM, Akari said:

This is a general problem (almost) everywhere.

In Germany there is a saying: Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre. Roughly translated: the years in which you learn you can't rule. Everyone uses that as excuse.

Some light as the end of the day: Never let you go by Kygo and John Newman is out. I'm waiting since months to listen to the full song, even when Kygo's Stargazing is now my favorite.

We have this problem too in certain fields. Hopefully you can make it through and you will probably be nicer to your interns when they can report to you.

I am glad you found some light for the day. I know its always a boost to me when something good happens after a crummy day.

• Like 1

I've got new alcohol markers. I bought 80 for just 35 EUR on Amazon. The COPICs cost between 3 and 5 EUR per pen. And because I wanted more colors I thought I give the cheap one a try. I made a color chart today because the color on the end of the pen isn't really helpful. On my first picture I mixed several red, violett and blue shades to get shades of red into violet. The result is not quite what I wanted. The mixing didn't work good. Also there are some parts on the picture which look like water dropped on them. The alcohol paint of the cheap ones isn't' as good as in my copics, but for my use its good enough and I don't regret that I bought them.

Now I need to figure some things out:

1. how to store them. 80 pens are a lot and it's not easy to find what you search.

2. I need to figure out which one I need to use to get shades from light to dark and make a reference chart.

Task 3: My mom's birthday is in 2 weeks. I thought about drawing a picture in the style of Rosina Wachtmeister because my mom loves her cute cats. (Even though she dislikes real cats, like the non-stop-meowing from my father.)

• Like 1