Mizbrek Visits the Adventure Zone

Mizbrek

latest?cb=20150116225020

For this challenge, I’m taking inspiration from Season 1 of the Adventure Zone podcast. For those unfamiliar, it’s a podcast where a family plays D&D together. Really funny, highly recommend! This one will be a bit more casual than my previous challenges. There are no specific loot goals or punishments this time around. There will be rough updates, but no points.

I debated not doing a challenge at all, honestly, as I feel like I have most of the habits I really care about figured out. I go to the gym every day, I get up early, I get to bed in good time. These are mostly...smaller things I want to work on.

Last Challenge Review

The last challenge went really well overall. I hit a new weight low, I stuck to the goals for the most part. The water and the two drink minimum tended to fall by the wayside a bit, and near the end I essentially gave up on the no purchasing beer rule. But overall my water consumption has improved, my drinking has decreased, and I’m buying less beer. So overall this has achieved what I want it to.

This Challenge

For this challenge I have 3 broad goals:

Learn like Taako - I’d like to keep my reading habits up, and expand them a bit. So I’m aiming to read the Economist Espresso daily, read my book for 10 minutes a day, and take a quick read through the newspaper. The book I’ve been doing fairly regularly but I want to keep that up. The newspaper and Espresso are new, but I’m hoping I can find spots to fit them in, maybe in the mornings.

Rush in like Magnus - Go on one adventure a week. Lately on the weekends I’ve turned down any suggestions Ms. Miz has had for activities, and mostly wanted to veg at home. For this it can be something like going to a networking event, a farmer’s market, a winery, what have you. The idea is to get out of the house a bit more and be a bit more open to adventure.

Clean like Angus - I’ve let my appearance get a little unkempt. I haven’t been keeping my pants pressed, my hair cut, or my dresser and that area clean. Cleaning those areas won’t be a simple quick task, but it’s something I’d like to keep in mind and work on. As well as this, I want to keep myself a bit cleaner. Keep my pants pressed, keep my hair cut (that one’s done) and so on.

Commune like Merle - This one is about being kind to myself and communing with myself, a bit. I’ve been working out daily, switching between weight lifting, running, and some light walks on rest days. I feel better having done those, and I want to keep them up. Similarly I want to focus on feeding myself well - this means keeping my calories in check, and filling myself with good foods, and being kind to myself overall when I do screw up. I’d also like to try and find one “happy moment” a day. I’m still defining what those are, things like taking the dog for a walk, sitting down with a book and a scotch, texting my mother, playing a bit of WoW just for fun. But I think it’s worthwhile trying to find some moments like that in my day.

I’ll be curious to see if this looser challenge works well for me. I think the practice of reviewing and revising your goals every 6 weeks or so can be extremely beneficial, but beyond “keep doing what you’re doing,” I can’t say I have too much! But I do think it’s worth trying to intentionally take some time for myself, work on my appearance, be a bit more spontaneous, and keep better up to date on current events, is worth working on.

I hope you’ll join me in this laid back challenge, fellow Rangers!

• Like 4

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Following along for the laid back challenge! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following along for the laid back challenge! 

Great to see you again! Aiming for pretty laid back so we will see how it goes!

Following again! I like the feel of this laid back challenge [emoji4]

And huge congrats on the new weight low!

Thanks! Weight has continued to tick down which I’m really excited for!

I cast ZONE OF TRUTH!  Love the theme for this challenge!  Best of luck!

Bahahaha glad someone gets my reference! No spoilers though I’m not done yet!

Learn like Taako - I’ve been reading regularly but not the paper or Espresso! Can’t say I have a ton of motivation on that. Going to start with Espresso. It’s short but keeps me a bit more on my toes.
Rush in like Magnus - Nothing yet! This will be more of a weekend thing but trying to keep this in mind.
Clean like Angus - I’ve been keeping pants pressed which is good! Will need to work on cleaning the house a bit this weekend though.
Commune like Merle - I’ve been trying to take more time to relax when I can. Running low level toons for kicks on WoW. And hitting the gym daily! So semi success here!
  • Like 3

Instagram

Getting a bit better at the challenge! And weight continues to tick down!

Learn like Taako - Read some Economist today!
Rush in like Magnus - hopefully visiting wine country this weekend if Ms Miz feels better!
Clean like Angus - kept pants pressed!
Commune like Merle - been trying to take some time to really enjoy myself with my games instead of just doing what’s “smart” in them. Also still hitting the gym for an hour a day!

• Like 3

Instagram

2 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

Getting a bit better at the challenge! And weight continues to tick down!

Total win! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I've been following your challenges on Instagram for a while - now time to follow you where the action really is!  :)  You're so inspirational!!

giphy.webp 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Good luck on your challenge.  I'll be following along and thanks for introducing me to Adventure Zone.  You just filled the podcast-void in my life.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

On 10/20/2017 at 3:12 PM, jonfirestar said:

Total win! 

Thanks!

On 10/25/2017 at 12:39 AM, SkyGirl said:

I've been following your challenges on Instagram for a while - now time to follow you where the action really is!  :)  You're so inspirational!!

Good to see you here! I've been more active there then here lately, but here is where it all started really!

On 10/25/2017 at 7:15 AM, iatetheyeti said:

Following along! I love the laid back approach, and I've not long finished season one of the Adventure Zone myself. So good :D 

Oh and it just gets better from there! I'm almost caught up and both can't wait and will be very sad when I'm caught up!

On 10/29/2017 at 4:05 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Hey, Miz. How's the challenge going? :)

Update below! Thanks for checking in!

On 10/29/2017 at 5:35 AM, Andrees said:

Good luck on your challenge.  I'll be following along and thanks for introducing me to Adventure Zone.  You just filled the podcast-void in my life.

Welcome! You've got a lot to catch up on, and it's a great ride!

Hello all! Sorry for the unexpected absence there! Nothing big or bad happening, just busy lately. I've been trying to get out and about more during lunches, which is when I usually post here, so that's been throwing me off a bit! Overall though things are going well. I've set a slightly ambitious goal of being down to 180 by Christmas. I'm hovering around 193 now, so a little more than 1.5lbs per week. The idea is to be able to say "hey, I'm down 50lbs!" when I see my in-laws, and to have a nice buffer. I'm going to do my best over Christmas, but it will definitely be hard to stay on track. I'll be travelling, visiting Las Vegas, and my in-laws are big drinkers! But I should have regular access to a fitness club, which will be helpful for sure. But even if I don't hit that, I realized recently I'm almost at the halfway point of my weight loss! I started at 230 with a goal weight of 150, and I'm almost at 190! So I'm happy overall with that.

I haven't made as much progress on these as I'd like. I am reading more, but most of my spare time is captured by my book, Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (book 2 of the Stormlight Archive, highly recommended!). But I am trying to stay more on top of the news, though I would like to do a bit more of that.

Learn like Taako - I've mostly missed on this one, but need to keep at it! I have been keeping an eye on Twitter, but need to make a more conscious investment on this.
Rush in like Magnus - I've applied this idea to other areas, like trying to be more social and more open to things outside my comfort zone. So overall this has been a success! Just in a different way than I thought.
Clean like Angus - Working at keeping the living room and front hallway clean as well as pants pressed, and just trying to be more proactive in general!
Commune like Merle - Been working on finding out what this means, but overall kinda trying to be kinder to myself. To not beat myself up for not accomplishing x y z, that sorta thing. But also, lots of just fun in WoW, and lots of reading time!

Instagram

55 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I love the StormLight Archive books! Congrats on losing so much weight and your persistent efforts to keep losing.

Thanks! And yeah, for sure enjoying them! I keep wanting to look up things but I'm wary of spoilers!

Checking in again folks! Things have been going well overall. My weight has stalled a little bit the last few days, but on average I'm still down from last week, so heading in the right direction! It's looking like it'll be tough to hit my goal exactly, but I'm heading in the right direction, and absolutely getting stronger and faster, so that's something. Discovered I'm able to run pretty steadily for about half an hour now, which is something I definitely couldn't do even a few months ago, so that's lovely. Opens up a nice option of running as an exercise on the go, which is a bit easier than, say, finding a squat rack.

Learn like Taako - Been reading more of the paper! Still not a lot but building up!
Rush in like Magnus - Been trying to seize onto adventures where I can! Heading out this weekend to visit a brewery and a networking event on Tuesday! 
Clean like Angus - Been working at keeping the lower level cleaned up, doing a bit every day, and the laundry. Hoping to extend that a bit.
Commune like Merle - Working mostly on my thoughts these days, trying to be kinder, and take some time to just do what I want. Also working at trusting myself. Trusting that my every mistake won't make everyone hate me, or like if I'm 5 minutes late for my work I won't be fired for it (when I have nothing but glowing reviews from work).

• Like 3

Instagram

3 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

Checking in again folks! Things have been going well overall.

I saw one of your gym post on IG this morning. You are looking really good! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On 11/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, jonfirestar said:

I saw one of your gym post on IG this morning. You are looking really good! 

Belated thanks! Feeling good!

Hello all! Checking in again! As I had said this is a bit of a relaxed challenge for me. I've been keeping these goals in mind, but since they're broader haven't really been posting! Hope all are doing well!

Learn like Taako - Definitely doing more of this. Reading a bit of the paper daily!
Rush in like Magnus - Been trying to embrace adventure wherever I can! It's been good so far.
Clean like Angus - We kinda have the downstairs in a good semi-clean state at all times now. Next up, bedroom!
Commune like Merle - I'm kinder to myself, which is good. Keeping that self-talk good. Still figuring out how best to "commune" so to speak, but enjoying the journey all the same.

• Like 1

Instagram