Soulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger Things

WolfDreamer

I am certain my goals and this challenge will transform as I go along, but that's totally okay with me. I need flexibility and I need fun.

As many of you know, I lost my grandfather during the last challenge, and it has been tough. I am reaching, like trying to connect with my memories of him, and since so many of them include me as a child, I feel this strange sort of regression back to childhood, to when things were simpler (not easier, just simpler). So, in order to make things simpler, I'm sticking to the usual: finding interesting and pleasurable ways to move my body and enjoying time in nature. But because Season 2 of Stranger Things comes out in just a few weeks, I have decided to fill my challenge posts with Stranger Things!

COgMVk8.gif

Soulcon and Spartan:

• See my previous post here for more information, but basically I continue to eat fresh whole foods, drink lots of water, do a lot of bodyweight exercises, pray and read scripture often, and complete some daily challenges (physical, mental, and spiritual).

School:

• Continue to complete work for Masters Degree.
  • Check Blackboard daily for due dates, grades, comments, etc.

Stranger Things:

• Read, watch, listen to, and play as many influences on the series Stranger Things as possible (which means lots of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, and other horror/sci-fi movies and shows, as well as a killer 80's soundtrack and some D&D).

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

53 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Still need to watch Stranger Things. This may be the nudge I need. Carry on, good sir!

Mandatory viewing. Like stop what you're doing and watch right now. ;)

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Although I'm also one of those people who hasn't watched Stranger Things.

*GASP* ;) 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Let's get this started:

Update (Monday 10/16/17)

• Woke up at 4:45am, said the Lord's Prayer, did 20 pushups, and then sat in the silence of my living room and read a devotional titled 30-Days to Live Free, which is heavily influenced (and I think actually contains words directly from) John Eldredge's Wild at Heart. (note to self, future challenge idea).
  • Arabella and Gracelynn woke up early and sat in the living room with me, interrupting the silence but not interrupting my peace; in fact, it was a great comfort to have them in the room with me.
  • Thought about going for a run, but I changed my mind and went ahead and got ready for work and helped the little ones get ready for school. Made them cereal for breakfast.
  • Kissed and hugged everyone before leaving for work.
  • Arrived at work early (as usual), made coffee, but couldn't take my usual morning walk across campus because of an upcoming parent meeting.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Parent meeting went...okay, I guess. The mother is at her wit's end while also being one of those mothers who wants to control everything about her child's future. Her child wants to be a phlebotomist, but that's not good enough for the mother because (according to her) phlebotomists don't make enough money.
  • Been reading Stephen King's It. I read it when I was a teenager just to say I finished it; I only remember about half of it (the half that probably everybody else knows because of the movies). Supposedly this book had a huge impact on the Duffer Brothers while writing Stranger Things.

18_Stranger-Things.gif

• Stopped by my grandpa's house on the way home from work to check on my uncle, who is still living there. The house felt so empty. I made a sandwich and sat in the reclining/lift chair that we used for Papaw when it became difficult for him to sit and stand without help. It was so quiet, but I scanned the room, admiring and remembering items that had been in that back room since I was a child, especially the cuckoo clock that no longer works. It's one of those that you wind-up by pulling a chain. I can vividly remember my Papaw walking over to the clock, adjusting the time, and pulling the chain to wind it. He once lifted me up and let me move the hands to adjust the time and then set me down as he pulled the chain.
  • Had a rough evening. The house was a mess, and the combination of my wife bickering at the girls and my oldest daughters arguing (both with my wife and with each other) set my nerves on edge. I did my best to intervene, but I was also busy helping to straighten the house up. The worst part of this came when I grumbled about always having to do everyone's dishes and my daughter fired back, "Would Papaw Herschell complain?" My response: "Would he talk to people the way you do? In fact, I think he would be ashamed of the way you talk to your mother." She didn't respond but continued cleaning. After that I kept my cool, though, until it was all over and then I just wanted to sit and be left alone. Unfortunately, my wife needed me and I got testy. Instead of getting angry, she pulled me aside and asked what was wrong. I broke down and told her I felt like crying and screaming at the same time. I chose the former, though, and apologized to her for my temper.

anigif_sub-buzz-3601-1470133483-18.gif

• Took a walk after dark around my neighborhood. I stopped at a friend's house who has two Siberian Huskies and spent some time with them; it's hard to stay upset while hanging out with huskies.
  • Arabella wanted to sleep with my wife (she's been very clingy lately), so I slept on the floor in the living room (couch is great for sitting, not so great for sleeping). Regardless, it didn't take long to fall asleep.

mike.gif

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:
  • Been reading Stephen King's It. I read it when I was a teenager just to say I finished it; I only remember about half of it (the half that probably everybody else knows because of the movies). Supposedly this book had a huge impact on the Duffer Brothers while writing Stranger Things

I've read a lot of Stephen King, but not that one. It does match the theme also in that IT was popular in the 80s, and Stranger Things takes place in the 80s. 

I swallowed Stranger Things whole last year and loved it. I have a lot to say on it which is really TMI here, but with Halloween coming... As a nerd, I thought the most hilarious thing about the popularity of Stranger Things was that people (non-gamers) were setting out D&D games and leaving them out on their table as Halloween decor. So... basically... these houses were decorated like what is a normal house to me and how many other nerds, for Halloween! Bwahahaha.... ok. Ok ok ok. Moving on.

Good luck with your challenge, your masters, your life. I believe in you! 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, annyshay said:

husky_hug__by_emogal94-d4wdhti.jpg

I think my heart just stopped.

13 hours ago, CallunaTook said:

swallowed Stranger Things whole last year and loved it. I have a lot to say on it which is really TMI here

Feel free. I'd love to talk about it. I'm re-watching it right now before season 2 comes out the 27th.

JFnlahA.gif

13 hours ago, CallunaTook said:

Good luck with your challenge, your masters, your life. I believe in you! 

Thank you.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update:

dustin1.gif

So far this week has been about prep: prepping my body, prepping my soul, and prepping my life for healing. I know I said that my challenge would probably transform as I go along, and so it shall. I'll give you a quick rundown of my week so far.

• Getting up early most days, but some mornings (like this morning) my alarm goes off, I go to my knees in prayer, and then I reset my alarm to get back into bed with my wife because that's exactly where I want to be.

gallery-1488500524-hopper.gif

• Workouts are...ehhh...sporadic? Right now I'm acting more in favor of frequent movement, sometimes vigorous, throughout my day. Taking walks around campus, doing the occasional set of burpees, taking the stairs just because, etc.
  • Worked with my mentor a few times this week. Unloaded some lumber, including four 16-foot beams that weigh around 100 pounds each; I had to lift them alone because he just isn't able. I also helped spread filler and lay underlayment for tile flooring. I didn't even know what underlayment was before doing this job.
  • Listening to the audio version of The Waste Lands by Stephen King and reading It, also by Stephen King. I stayed after work yesterday and re-watched the movie version of It (better the second time). Finn Wolfhard is on his way to becoming my favorite child actor. Which brings up an excellent topic for later discussion: Who is your favorite underrated child actor? I thought Joel Courtney did a pretty great job in Super 8 but barely got any kind of critical response. Oh, and here's this:

And this:

If you're not familiar with the show, these two videos might not make any sense. Or maybe they'll inspire you to watch it and watch it soon.

• Working on gathering materials for a project I have to present for one of my graduate classes. I had to teach a writing lesson using technology to someone enhance the writing; I asked my students to read and review/analyze an article and then post their review as a storyboard on PBS Learning Media, with clip art, media, text, and hyperlinks. Frustrating thing is that I was supposed to present this weekend, and less than half my students have even completed the draft of the review. One girl just paraphrased the entire article. Three of my students have been absent all week. Good news is that my professor postponed the presentations to November 4th. So I only have one assignment due this weekend for my other class. But I'm also working on a Weebly about Shakespeare, another storyboard on some literacy strategies, and I have to review two literacy articles. *sigh*

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 10/16/2017 at 1:36 PM, Wolfen said:

Stephen King

Dude! I've been on a SK kick for the past...2 months it seems. I listen to audible books on my work commute because I rarely have time to sit down and read but I just trekked through 47 hours of The Stand and now I'm on IT, with like 18 hours left (from 41 hours). I recommend both, or maybe IT because it's Halloween season? 

giphy.gif

On 10/16/2017 at 1:36 PM, Wolfen said:

I continue to eat fresh whole foods, drink lots of water, do a lot of bodyweight exercises, pray and read scripture often, and complete some daily challenges (physical, mental, and spiritual).

Sounds dope, dude. Plus... Wolfen... Wild Wolf...There's definitely some correlation here! 

1121.gif

I like the goals. Following!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

1 minute ago, Wild Wolf said:

Plus... Wolfen... Wild Wolf...There's definitely some correlation here!

4MmX4zh.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

I just trekked through 47 hours of The Stand

Read The Stand long before I was old enough to really get it. Also, it's a shame The Dark Tower movie was such a mess. I still don't know why they didn't go with the mini-series idea. I'm planning to read (and in some cases re-read) all of his major novels and finally finish the Dark Tower series.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Dude I'm sorry I dropped the ball on following you last challenge and I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. :( Sending all the hugs your way.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Dude I'm sorry I dropped the ball on following you last challenge and I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. :( Sending all the hugs your way.

Thank you. And you didn't drop the ball. You're a busy gal. :) I'm glad you're here now and you're welcome anytime.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 10/18/2017 at 7:19 AM, Wolfen said:

Feel free. I'd love to talk about it. I'm re-watching it right now before season 2 comes out the 27th.

I realized that quite a bit of my commentary involves spoilers, so I will not go into those out of respect for other forum folks. :-(  

But aside from that... It did not just seem like 80s-stalgia to me. Everything from the "old tv" sparkles in the title screen on in, it *actually* looked like a forgotten 80s movie that had been dug out of some vault, and played on a CRT tv. When I started watching the first episode, the effect was so complete that I was completely absorbed. I thought it was the 80s. I thought I was a kid again. I was almost of a mind to break out the crayons and make pb&j. I just about walked up to the tv to turn the (non-existent) volume dial. The bubble burst when the episode ended and I had to go do dishes... but until then, it was perfect. I hadn't felt that way in a long time. 

Throughout the series, it continued to be my favorite thing until the very end, and then it was downgraded from "this is the greatest thing that's ever been on my tv" into "that was pretty darn good." For that reason, I'm a little torn about watching season 2. I wanted it to preserve it's awesomeness, remain an untouched gem on a shelf, and go no further. But who am I kidding. I'll watch Season 2 with the lights off anyway.  

I have started watching Twin Peaks when the boys are both gone (which is almost never). I'm still only part way into the pilot. That was one I never saw to begin with but have always heard is good. The cinematography is kinda trippy to me... weird angles and pauses. 

I am looking forward to watching the videos you posted but I will have to come back to them later... :-) 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, CallunaTook said:

I was almost of a mind to break out the crayons and make pb&j. I just about walked up to the tv to turn the (non-existent) volume dial.

Very well said. And (without spoiling) I could probably guess where the illusion dipped near the end of the season. And as for the crayons, pb&j and volume dial, I feel this way when I watch old cartoons, like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or The Real Ghostbusters. And I still can't watch classic Looney Tunes without wishing I could be sitting in the living room floor at Mamaw's and Papaw's, eating a bowl of ice cream. Every now and then I Youtube Saturday morning "bumper" videos (those little "after these messages" ads that were common when I was a kid) and commercials of toys from the 80's. And there was I time when I frequented retrojunk.com because it's awesome.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, annyshay said:

WOAH NOSTALGIA

Expect that for most of this challenge. ;) How 'bout this?

Just saying...Artie--the strongest MAN...in the world--remains one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Also, I was not so secretly in love with Ellen.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update:

NIrh9km.jpg

(Apparently, this exists as a t-shirt; I need it in my life).

• Slept in this morning because Arabella woke us up around 3:30, and it took me a while to get back to sleep. Still said the Lord's Prayer as well as a more personal prayer.
  • Made some green tea with ACV and honey.
  • Took Minnie outside while barefoot and shirtless, enjoying and embracing the cold morning (which reminds me, I think I'm doing the Polar Plunge again, so next challenge is gonna have some cold exposure).
  • No "workout" today other than walking 16,739 steps. I also vaulted down 6 sets of stairs, hopped over a few benches, sprinted across campus, and balanced on a curb for about 80 yards.
  • Finished my assignment for my Content Literacy class that was due today. I still need to finish my Weebly, create a storyboard on PBS Learning Media, write a narrative essay about a memorable day, review two peer-reviewed academic articles about literacy, write a biography of myself as a literacy teacher for my portfolio, and finish a big-ass freaking unit project to be ready for presentation in two weeks.

large.jpg

• This evening, it was senior night at my daughter's high school. My wife and I escorted her onto the field as they announced her name and her plans to attend WVSU and major in Elementary Education. They also gave her flowers and a poster with some action shots of her twirling baton.
  • I'm continuing to listen to the audiobook of The Waste Lands. If you've read it (@Sylvaa?) , you'll get this: I laughed really hard at the part when Jake's essay about "truth" got a good response from his English teacher because Jake wrote it in a subconscious fit of madness (or so he thought). It's so symbolic. :lol:
  • Planning to get up early to go for a run and then work for my mentor, cleaning out the chicken coop and picking up branches brought down by recent wind.

tumblr_obm5ieSF201r0k6wko1_500.gif

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

I'm continuing to listen to the audiobook of The Waste Lands. If you've read it (@Sylvaa?) , you'll get this: I laughed really hard at the part when Jake's essay about "truth" got a good response from his English teacher because Jake wrote it in a subconscious fit of madness (or so he thought). It's so symbolic. :lol:

Yes, yes I have. I had to groan though, because I've literally done that with papers. I should reread the series though, it's been a while. 

Saw pictures of your daughter on FB - they were wonderful!

• Like 2

I strongly approve of your Stranger Things theme. I cannot wait for the new season.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

6 hours ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

I strongly approve of your Stranger Things theme. I cannot wait for the new season.

Same. And thanks for stopping by. Please don't be a stranger...thing. ;)

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg 

Update:

• Woke up at 5:00am, said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer for my wife and daughters.
  • Read a devotional called 30 Days to Live Free. They key verse for today was James 5:16, which says "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produced wonderful results."
  • No workout today, although I did get my 10,000 steps.

STTA-1.jpg

• To be honest, today was meh. I'd rather talk about yesterday.
  • Yesterday, the girls and I skipped church because Arabella wanted to visit my uncle, Gary, which meant going to my Papaw's. In spite of how much this hurts, I can never pass up an opportunity to go to Papaw's house. My hope is that someday I will live in that house.
  • The girls played in the back room while I sat in the front room with my uncle, watched football and sipped coffee. I grilled some cheese sandwiches on a cast-iron skillet for the girls. Then I did something I haven't done since I was a child: I made milkshakes.

132d237b14c4f77d0dde1fdf8e9974fd.png

• Back story: when I was a little guy, my Papaw used to get the blender our and grab whatever ingredients he could find. Ice cream and milk (of course), chocolate chips, vanilla extract, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, marshmallows, peanut butter, egg, cookies, and one time he even dropped a few pieces of clove into the blender. He never overdid it, usually choosing one or two special ingredients just to see what it might taste like, but there was day I talked him into loading it with everything. I won't say it was delicious, but I will say we were smiling.
  • My milkshake was just ice cream and milk. But I sipped it as if I wanted to make it last.
  • I'm close to finishing The Waste Land. I've kind of hit the brakes with It, mostly because I need to focus on my graduate classwork.

1470068447-tumblr-oakz47yjey1txuk4eo1-50

• I'm not making much progress with my graduate classwork. One of the assignments is killing my motivation. Let me explain.
  • Currently, I am enrolled in the Literacy Education program. I started the program because it did not require a GRE or MAT score to be accepted. One I take and pass the MAT, I will be switching to the Leadership Studies program, which would make it possible for me to become a school administrator. The mentioned assignment is a required part of my Literacy Education portfolio, which everyone has to complete before they graduate from the Literacy Education program. But I'm not, so...
  • I know, I know...just suck it up and write the damn paper. Don't worry, I will.
  • Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

In my search, I found this. It's 4 hours long, so please...don't watch it all at once. No, seriously, don't watch it all at once.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler