Protein Shakes

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into their protein regimen when they are trying to build muscle but still stay relatively lean. I'm taking in about 180-200 grams of protein a day (I weigh about 210) and I had been taking two shakes in the morning and afternoon, both containing about 60-70 grams of protein.

I was told by a nutritionist friend that I shouldn't have more than 30-40 grams of protein in a shake at a time because the body can't absorb that much protein at once, but I haven't really found much scientific literature to back that up.

I'm transitioning to three shakes a day of about 40 grams each (plus protein from normal meals), but figured I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I get gastro-intestinal distress if I consume more than 30g *from shakes*. Other than that, I've had a fair share of steaks or chicken cuts with way more than 40 grams of protein.

If the protein isn't shooting through your bowels like a rocket though, it's all being absorbed. If you're running off to the toilet five minutes after having one, well now there's a decent chance some of it is going right through :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I was told by a nutritionist friend that I shouldn't have more than 30-40 grams of protein in a shake at a time because the body can't absorb that much protein at once, but I haven't really found much scientific literature to back that up.

I was told a similar story (20 grams for a woman, specifically). Not sure where these "facts" (meaning assumed and accepted as facts) come from.

I personally struggle to get 100 grams per day, but am working on it. I think I am limiting myself to about 20 grams per meal, wondering if maybe this fact that's probably not a fact but my mind wonders if it might be is lingering in the back of my mind. So I'll take chairohkey's reply to officially consider this myth debunked and hopefully it'll get my mind past the unnecessary roadblock.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I was told a similar story (20 grams for a woman, specifically). Not sure where these "facts" (meaning assumed and accepted as facts) come from.

I personally struggle to get 100 grams per day, but am working on it. I think I am limiting myself to about 20 grams per meal, wondering if maybe this fact that's probably not a fact but my mind wonders if it might be is lingering in the back of my mind. So I'll take chairohkey's reply to officially consider this myth debunked and hopefully it'll get my mind past the unnecessary roadblock.

There's no way I could hit 100g a day without shakes...that's just more meat than I can consume, and milk is out for me.

My powder packs 26g per scoop...I have one scoop in my morning coffee, and another scoop in coconut milk in the evenings. This leaves me free to eat my other 50g per day in real food, which is much more manageable.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Protein powder...in coffee?!

*touches monolith, "Thus Sprach Zarathustra" swells in the background*

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Thanks for the insight!

Never had protein powder in coffee, but some chocolate powder with milk and vodka works out ... you can even put in some mint flavored fish oil if you are feeling crazy.

Wow...now I've heard it all! :emmersed:

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I have not seen a definitive answer on exactly how much protein the average person can actually use but I think the standard party line your friend gave misses the point. Whether all of the protein you consume is being used for building new muscle is just being converted into energy it doesn't really matter. Natural protein sources have a high calorie defect because they require more calories just to be digested. So that has benefits for fat loss. And, given that eating say 30% protein has no negative side effects why not through more paint on the wall then is needed. Some of it is going to stick.

Besides high carb, low fat and low protein diets are harder to stick to then a more balanced approach.

I have not seen a definitive answer on exactly how much protein the average person can actually use but I think the standard party line your friend gave misses the point. Whether all of the protein you consume is being used for building new muscle is just being converted into energy it doesn't really matter. Natural protein sources have a high calorie defect because they require more calories just to be digested. So that has benefits for fat loss. And, given that eating say 30% protein has no negative side effects why not through more paint on the wall then is needed. Some of it is going to stick.

Besides high carb, low fat and low protein diets are harder to stick to then a more balanced approach.

Waldo has a very interesting carb/fat only BMR thread that shows how higher protein levels affect weight loss.

~Oscar Wilde