Just a place - content to follow

Sarah_jenner_-151-580x386.jpg

Time to add some content here. Made a pretty table in my journal for tracking all the things.

I think I actually overdid it by going for 3 weeks in one table... it will probably not be clean and pretty at the end of week 2... but it is what it is. Not sure how much more mileage I'll get out of this journal, it's pretty close to full.

322d199ae8b23ca437fba6457c31da9e.jpg

This next challenge will be about taking better care. Of myself, mostly. As so very often before.

I have a multitude of bad food choices headed my way, or at least there's bumpy terrain ahead:

* My sister-in-law's bday on Oct 28th

* My own bday on Nov 2nd

* I will maybe start working properly, teaching fitness schtuff in an elderly care facility close-by. Negotiating information labyrinth at the moment, getting all co-operation-partners onto the same page, things are scary-eciting-scary at times.

* and additionally the bdays for both kids (Dec 3rd, and Dec 14th), my mum (Dec 20th), and at least two (Dec 13th and Dec 19th), and maybe a third work(=fitness group)-christmas parties/dinners looming for the Dec challenge. One of them is laser tag with greek restaurant afterwards, one is Kegeln, which is kinda like bowling, but the balls are smaller and have no holes, and you roll for 9 pins not 10 (or the other way around, what do I know?), so that's fun...

The focus for this challenge, in order of priority are as follows:

Bedtime --> 8h sleep starting Oct 28th

Habitat --> do something every day

Work --> read fitness programm manuals, plan classes, get familiar with the materials

Drink water - ffs

Track caloric budget of 1350, plus eat what you sweat for.

Practice Superpower every day

Track class attendance, try to get to Tuesday morning class too

Vent introspection urges into journaling

Vent artistic urges into pretty doodles, or crafts or something, pics here.

And decelerate, sit down, drink tea, knit or journal or snooze, do nothing, let the mind rest for a bit, this last one... I am aiming for daily, but I'm okay with every other day or so... just getting back into it at all is a good thing at this point.

This is my list. I am not tracking my forum activity/participation, mostly because I forgot to add the line in the table for it. If I start being all floozy and flaking, I'll add a line and start tracking it again.

The metal slag I was talking about in the headline of this thread is mostly about me playing Mechwarrior:Online.

I had stopped playing MW:O 2 years ago just before I started putting my then-excess energy into fitness and getting healthier. It's good I stopped, because back then I played often 8-10h a day, ran 2h training nights 2-3 times a week, dissected the maps and play modes, organised gathering and sharing of in game info far beyond what anyone would call sane.

I basically treated the game and the unit I ran with like other people treat a job, because I had no job, I had the time, and I loved my men, the normal human guys, family men almost all, and I felt this deep need to take care of the people and make sure the guys had fun. Winning matches is fun, losing if you communicated well and have it a good shot is fun too, so I gave the unit a LOT of my time and energy.

The game was good, but not awesome then. The maps have been improved upon, there's way more game modes and variety and it looks fun. Since Saturday (6 days now) I've played 28h. I am going to get shit done BEFORE I log onto a game. Do laundry, then play a round. Read a chapter/work on a class programme THEN drop a round. Read stuff anytime I am meching, so the time I game is always(!) also low-key work time.

That's the metal slag. Because boy I am hooked again.

• Like 5

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Just a cat - following to follow.

cheetah-002.jpg

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Image result for tank

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Updated the now-wall-post opening post.

I had a great encounter today. One that touches something inside that hasn't let go yet, and it's been 4h at least.
Was on the bus with my kid on the way home from my mum's and our glasses adventure. Mum pushed me to pick out new glasses, mine are ~14 years old...
So this man asks the bus driver if this is the right bus for him. He has a piece of paper and he's not sure if he's supposed to get on or not. He's completely quiet, signing that he's deaf and if he has to go on this bus, if this bus will get him to the address on his piece of paper. The bus driver, completely overwhelmed with his own not-being-native-thick-accent, has no clue, and can't help. The women on the other side of the aisle, also trying to help, but kinda timidly, unsure maybe of where the right bus is or something. I get a glimpse of the address and I've been there, lots of times, he's trying to get to the deaf center where I learned sign language semester 2 and 3. So I sign at him that this is the wrong bus and his face lights up and asks if I sign, I tell him, a little bit. I explain that he needs the bus 51 on the other side, not the 31 I was in. And I wish I had remembered that the 50 goes that way too, turns out he would have waited 15min less if I had sent him to that one instead. I looked it up, after. And I wish I'd spelled out the name of the stop where he had to get off, but I was so nervous, and i didn't know the sign for busstop and the bus had to leave for its next stop soon, so I felt pressured for time and I didn't remember what the stop was named... so I didn't. But I really want to get more fluent with signing. It felt SO GOOD to be able to open this barrier and help a fellow human out with something as primitive as giving directions.

So that happened. Glad I paid attention when I learned how to sign double digit numbers. Wish I'd known more...

---

Stay strong. Dream true. Walk tall.
-- Charles de Lint

• Like 8

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

I like the focuses you have decided on for this challenge. Also holy crapola, your December is going to be packed! 

That is such a wonderful story. I took ASL in High school for 2 years and while I still remember some of it, I am WAY too timid to use it. That feeling though, being helpful and using a talent you have worked hard at is amazing. 

• Thanks 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

On 10/19/2017 at 6:02 PM, Morag said:

had a great encounter today. One that touches something inside that hasn't let go yet, and it's been 4h at least.

That is such a heart-warming story! It's so great when you can help someone else out like that :)

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Thank you all for posting on here. I am going to post a challenge update tomorrow if I can at all fit it in. Break week was more "running off with th bit between your teeth" than I had hoped... but this week I am going strong and I have some fun things to tell you. Nothing major. Just enjoying life...

I am on the last pages of my black moleskine bujo and I am excited and frightened to open up the azure Leuchturm bujo that's been sitting on my desk.
I am creating like there's no tomorrow and most of it isn't half bad... or considering who I am (=not someone who paints and draws regularly) I am quite excited. Will definitely draw and paint a bunch of Christmas cards this year. Try to stop me!

More on the morrow.
Hugs, for you wonderful people!!

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Once you make the first pen mark in the new journal it will be less scary. :)

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Once you make the first pen mark in the new journal it will be less scary. [emoji4]
I know!!!! But gaaaahhhhh.... it hasn't been touched yet.

Actually I am kinda enjoying the scare. Yes, it's a bit on the gaaahh side, but it's the new bujo. My second ever. It's an amazing shade of azure. The exact shade of blue the fitness convention helper shirt with my name on it has, so I am really liking it.

I bought washi-tapes (for way too much money), brush pens (brushes with their own built in reservoirs), found my pocket-sized box of Winsor&Newton Cotman water colours (12 half pans), I have a pocket sizes roll of double sided tape, sure I need to cut out more pictures but I think I will do a lot of drawing in the new bujo and maybe draw and paint on drawing paper and tape it in afterwards too so I won't need too many magazine cutouts...

Overall... I am really excited. The fear is a part of it, but only a part.

But I am pretty sure you know how it goes...

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Oooh I know that feeling! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Time for that overdue update, me thinks.

I need to keep in mind, next time I make a table, how long I would have to look at the thing... so make a table for each week, look at it for a week, move on happy.

d1ec40cb31b42878cd09d4401e0ddd8a.jpg

172f51d55d96ea3882be15fe0bfbc6d2.jpg

I am not proud of last week's shenanigans. I had hugely fluctuating calory intake and vastly varying bedtimes, I could sleep however long I needed, if the kid let me, so it wasn't too bad, but 1am, 2am and later is still not a good idea.

I've not taken a break to sit and drink tea at all during break week. And everything else has been spotty too, so overall: there's room for improvement.

Week 1

I am sitting here, re-watching Doctor Strange (hihihi) and making this update. And I think. This sitting and NOT doing anything. It's really nice, I have to remember that. I don't have tea, but I think I'll cope. Knitting is on my list to do when I sit and not do anything else, and I have a crafting project. (another one besides the lava-dragon-lantern for the kid)

My in-laws live in a small town. They have an annual charity bazaar. People craft (knit, crochet, woodwork, ...) thing then sell them at the bazaar early in December and all money made goes to a cause they decide on from year to year.

I've heard they want to get the national bone marrow donor thing to find a bone marrow donor for a leukemia suffering child.

I struggle to let things I made go. So making a dozen christmas cards, I think it will be good for me indeed. Here is a design sketch of what I'm thinking they will resemble:

991b1195e1759f930c56429553cd6f57.jpg

Silver pen and water colour pencils hit with brushpen. Possibly some droplet spray things... not sure. I'm gonna fill a few pages in my sketchbook full of snowflakes and then off I think i can start. May have to buy a tiny bottle of silver metallic paint, if the pen is not working as well as I think. It has a rather thin tip, might need to find an alternative for more area-heavy pieces.

So far so good.

Oh, added bonus: my weight is now 90-something (90.6kg this morning), this is 13kg below start weight and I have no idea how far I want to go, I'm thinking 87,6 for now, since that's the lowest I've been since I started, and i may actually hit it before the year is out, and ultimately... maybe 70ish? I have no idea, I'll go as far as it feels good. Definitely until the double chin is gone, and beyond that? I'll run mudruns again at some point, climb things, do gymnastics... we'll see. But yay for at least 25% of weight journey traversed.

And I am getting 2L of water in more regularly, not all the time, but I am getting better with it, and it certainly helps.

So far so good.

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 6

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Love the snowflake and creating cards to sell would be a great exercise for you!

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I love the Christmas card idea! The snowflake is so pretty!

2 hours ago, Morag said:

Oh, added bonus: my weight is now 90-something (90.6kg this morning), this is 13kg below start weight and I have no idea how far I want to go, I'm thinking 87,6 for now, since that's the lowest I've been since I started, and i may actually hit it before the year is out, and ultimately... maybe 70ish? I have no idea, I'll go as far as it feels good. Definitely until the double chin is gone, and beyond that? I'll run mudruns again at some point, climb things, do gymnastics... we'll see. But yay for at least 25% of weight journey traversed.

Well done! That's one heck of an achievement! :) 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

3 hours ago, Morag said:

But yay for at least 25% of weight journey traversed.

Great work!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

I struggle to let things I made go. So making a dozen christmas cards, I think it will be good for me indeed.

Actually... i struggle not with the letting go itself, I barely ever get there, I struggle with finishing a project (painting of star-y things: lacking (white dot-) stars on 1/2-1/3 of it. Dragon painting: shading on the wings. Cross stitch thingy, I consider hybernating or even dead: missing last 1/4. Knitted shawl: 4 of 27 pattern repeats. 4 sided Lava-dragon lantern: missing one side and assembling. Crocheted Anna doll (Frozen): missing braid and skirt. Crocheted pig: don't get me started.)

So at any given time I have a number of projects on my desk. And it's never gonna change, I know myself enough to gauge that. Rangerbrain™. But I think a semi-professional thing like this christmas card idea, with the added bonus of it being a low-key small town thing.

Or it could just be me being afraid to finish the lantern and shawl...

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

44 minutes ago, Morag said:

Actually... i struggle not with the letting go itself, I barely ever get there, I struggle with finishing a project (painting of star-y things: lacking (white dot-) stars on 1/2-1/3 of it. Dragon painting: shading on the wings. Cross stitch thingy, I consider hybernating or even dead: missing last 1/4. Knitted shawl: 4 of 27 pattern repeats. 4 sided Lava-dragon lantern: missing one side and assembling. Crocheted Anna doll (Frozen): missing braid and skirt. Crocheted pig: don't get me started.)

This...so much sounds like me although I think you have more than me. Lol

Solidarity! 

Image result for Solidarity gif

• Like 2

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Got the design and things cut out on the lantern, am in the process of cutting to size and glueing in the coloured transparent paper. Dragon tail back and belly side done, waiting for pattern on the moon to dry, need to cut out windows of soon to be destroyed town houses, and glue paper behind the town, and cut to size the sky (twice, so it's pretty and dark) and glue that in. Then it's "only" a matter of cutting lantern floor out (haven't measured that yet) and deciding if there will be a pretty pattern in it (I vote yes) and once that is done it's virgin run with my hotglue gun and fire away...

deadline Nov 1st.

Edit to add progress pictures:

62d5e21c5fcff361473939a5a14b16a0.jpg

Cut-out going well.

bf3ef182fdb4df3538df50278f57ef3d.jpg

Moon-to-be looking good.

307d1c2034ce09536c111445c670b277.jpg

So far so good. Off to do the hard part: double layer dark blue sky, that I can't use the scalpel to correct borders on, because it would harm the already-in-place pieces.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

So this accountability thing on the forums here is great for motivation...

Sadly hubby and I agree: there needs to be more sky on the two sides that have none yet...

Have a look and see if you agree, 10sec of lava dragon goodness:

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59f2063e6eccb/VID-20171026-WA0002.mp4

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

That's awesome. Def needs more sky though! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

.25b7861bc910cfe11562a24337f85a8c.jpg

The first batch (half-dozen) of christmas cards is semi-finished. I "just" need to write a christmas-y message on the inside. I'm thinking "Frohes Fest" which is appropriate in pretty faux-calligraphy. I'll practice in my bujo for a day or two and then I'll just jump in.

I'm a bit unhappy with the quality of paper and the tape hurting it... it's supposed to be a pretty good paper, and it shouldn't suffer so... I'm not sure how to fix it either. If I don't tape it down the borders will be even messier. If I do something to the glue on the tape (put it on a sweater or something a few times) before taping the cards down, I fear it'll take forever to tape down the cards, it will either not tape them down enough (=crinkling I'll need to iron out afterwards, literally, and I don't know how the pen lines hold up to heat) or it won't change the tape enough (lot's of work for no improvement). And I am pretty sure I am not going to hit a good middle ground on this.

But I'm liking the results of my christmas card painting efforts so far...

a6a5b31d44d108c7b1defd3609ad298f.jpg

Other than that. Food is logged and not crazy, water is being drunken and things are happening. Weekend of sister in laws bday awaits and I am actually quite looking forward to seeing the fam. Might be because I get mum's car for the day and thus will be able to leave at any point...

---

-- Charles de Lint

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50