Powering on to Curacao!

GregT.

Challenge 2!

I am entering this challenge hoping to do a better than my first one.  I was 80% of the goals on the last challenge and I think I can do better than that.

Physical Goals:

Minimum of 4 workouts per week at gym.  I have 5 scheduled but I do have a life and it gets in the way sometimes. How: I go to gym after work it is on the way home. (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Walk or Swim 5 mornings per week in addition to workouts ( I am still gettiing up everyday but Friday at 0430 so going to sleep in shorts and t shirt, put on shoes grab water at the door and go for a walk, while my coffee brews.) (10% DIVDED BY EACH WEEK)

Start tanning to get a base for Curacao in December ( Going to make a point of coming in from the gym and before I shower I will go to my roof retreat and get some sun.) (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Nutrition Goals:

No take away when I am home, or if I can prep. ( removed the app from my phone and laptop, just say Nein) (10 %DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Learning/Social goals:

Finish PADI re-activate program ( SCUBA DIVING) How: It is a goal for Friday and Saturday mornings before Gym, get up early, and work on it while having coffee). (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Get my NPC's in order and write out in advance progression for weekly game (D&D) How:  one hour each evening after I do Dutch , below, I will work on the plan, using my notes from during the past couple weeks. (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Get to one live performance How: I have an app on my Spotify that tells me of live shows near by, I am watching the feed for a show I want to see and dates. (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Start Dutch lessons ( get to at least level 3 on Rosetta Stone fluently) How: Each day after I tan and shower I work on Dutch before I get to eat.  I bet that will work.  (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

Limit Netflix et al to one hour or one movie per week night, and no more than 2 hours or two movies on weekend day.  Going to a movie doesn't count. How:  I am using my phone to set a timer for 1 hour if watching a TV show and when the alarm goes off, I finish the current episode and then switch it over to music to get other things done.  I am also doing other things like Dutch before I turn on TV. (10% DIVIDED BY EACH WEEK)

THERE IS 90% TALLYED THERE WITH 10% UN-ACCOUNTED FOR BY LINE ITEM.  THIS IS THE MASTER COMPLETION BONUS IF I HIT ALL OF THE LINE ITEMS 100% )

Well that's it.  I am pretty happy with my nutrition right now.  I had some issues of no movement on scale but I am seeing difference and so are others.  I have energy and am still increasing in strength. The Take away ban is just because.  I have been getting hit with a lazy now and then and it is very convenient. On game night I can pack a dinner to take with and my players are all supportive.    I want to add in the swimming or walking because the weather is getting nice and want to change up a bit from doing only calisthenics .  I may add in dome floor exercises in loo of walks or swimming depending on circumstances, but will post why I am changing with real reasons.  On the days I walk I may do them as well as walk.  The tanning is well to get a better base tan.  I was getting plenty of sun when I was not lifting and going to the pool everyday after work and swimming but in the last month I have gone swimming twice.  If I start swimming again it will be early morning inside a new building, so no sun. 

The NPC thing, well I am just behind the curve.  My players wanted to stat a game quick and I obliged.  however I have a great premise and plan but have not had a chance to flesh out portions and add in the NPC's and such to make it work.  I have been flying by the seat of pants last two sessions, and it has to stop, it is not how I run my games.  I must have a script that I can refer to, well and outline with the key elements prepared.  I hate when I play for the GM to have an encounter and then spend 20 mins getting their crap together to resolve it.   One live performance.  I am increasing my workout schedule and I am going to have to work on getting it in.  If I can do more I will, but figured kISS.  I bought the Rosetta Stone Dutch course when I came back from Amsterdam.  That was July 5th.  I have not opened it online yet.  The goal was to have some grasp of the language before I went to a Dutch Island for vacation.  Time to get busy.  The limit on Netflix stuff is to make me do something else like study Dutch.

Well I hope you all come by and say hi.  I will update as often as I can.

• Like 5

TANSTAAFL!   

What is not gained through labor is paid for in pride!

STR 8/DEX 4/CON 6/INT 8/WIS 8/CHA 6

BATTLE LOG: GREG T and The Temple Of Fe

Greg T. Proclaims " To mediocrity and Beyond! 2018"

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Haven't started the challenge yet, but I am trying to implement it as I go this week.  I limited my Netflix last night, and I avoided the Take away.  I put down some notes for my game and I thought about dong course work.  I was beat however.  I thought to put it off until better rested.  I was nodding off while watching Luther.

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Happy FUNTBULOUS THURSDAY!  I used to do Funktabulous Friday but Thursday is the new Friday here.  Here are a couple of songs to get you going.  I know I was on the ride into work.

Enjoy the Day, Keep it Funky!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

On 10/17/2017 at 2:17 AM, GregT. said:

Well I hope you all come by and say hi.  I will update as often as I can.

Glad you're doing well and decided to come back; let me know if I can help in any way.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Resets

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild Heart

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Welcome to the Adventurers!

I would definitely give yourself more credit - you had a lot going on in your previous challenge and 80% was awesome! I know you said you want to keep it simple this time around, but having your challenge be doing something 4 or 5 times a week is really hard - you don't give yourself a lot of room for error.  Also, your list is a lot of "what you are going to do", but no "how you are going to get there". Now, as long as you have a plan, it's not a big deal if you don't share it - just make sure you HAVE a plan! 

Can't wait to see you rock this challenge!

• Like 3

Thanks Sylvaa, I did the same thing last time with the challenge and Hazard had to get me right.  I will fix it straight away.

Thanks for the kudos on the 80%, I'm glad I got that much accomplished however, I put the other stuff down to get it done too, and did not.  100%, Maximum Effort!

The gym thing 5 times a week, I know it seems tough, but I was finding y self missing my gym days.  I was really enjoying them.  During the hot months here there is very little in the way of activities for strenuous recreation.  It is getting cooler now so waking and such is a viable option.  I am just really enjoying the gym.  It is not much of a hardship.  I don't really do anything else.  my wife in in the US, so I am here by myself.  going to the gym keeps me out of trouble.  I go right after work, so Sunday through Thursday, it is very easy to do.  The pan is to make it to the gym Sunday, Monday, Tuesday with Wednesday as a rest day, then Thursday and Friday with Saturday a rest day.  My workout partner and I want to work out 5 days a week, but we know life will get in the way such as this week.  So we determined that we will do 4 days a week minimum, of course work can get in the way so it has priority.  We both work for the same company in the same project so we keep each other honest.  This week for example, We had a TA meeting on Sunday which we both had to attend, so no work out on Sunday.  Then on Monday he knew he had to meet with his building manager for an issue with his lease so he missed Monday Workout too.  I was planning to go, and got a call late Sunday telling me I had a meeting at the office on Monday so I didn't work out.  Wednesday is a day we are scheduled to work 11 hours so we opted to make that a rest day as logistics to do a workout become problematic.  That leaves 4 days to work out to meet our minimum.  So I am headed to the Gym today ( Friday) and tomorrow.  That will meet the requirements for this week.  We then will work out on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before out next rest day.  I am confident that I can make this schedule work.  I have someone keeping me honest and we are putting money up on making all of the workouts until Mid December.  The training partner has approval of a missed day for cause.  I am going to edit my original plan and create How I am going to achieve.  Thanks for stopping in an helping out.

• Like 3

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Completely understand where you are coming from! I also work away from home (not 100% like you, but my job is 80% on the road), so it's definitely easier to find time to do things like the gym. 

My bigger caution comes with 5 days and "scoring" the challenge. Like, if life happens and you only hit 3 one week, can you hit 5 the next and still score yourself as 100%? Will you get discouraged if you only hit 3 days early in the challenge and throw off your momentum for the remaining weeks? Just things to consider with a lofty target. :) 

It's great that you have a coworker for support! 

I am scoring the challenge this way and I am using my co-worker as a prejudiced observer to call me on BS.  If I have to work, like the past meetings or must go to the dealership for my car like two weeks ago, and I miss the workout, it doesn't count.  missing the workout is when I decide not to go without compelling reason.  The Dealership because without my car I can't get to work.  If I don't do the work things I will lose my job that does give me an exceptional salary and plenty of free time with occasional issues.  t is a week by week challenge.  If I miss 2 workouts and only get three in this week, it is a fail.  That means that the best I can get for the challenge is 75% of the workout goal.  It may sound harsh but I work in a field that this is how it is all the time so it is normal for me.  I can still average everything else out.  If all of the other goals are met losing 25% on one goal is not going to be a critical fail.  I am trying to be more rounded in my life, not bod shape, and the only way I can see doing that is by incorporating what I want to do and going for it.  I will go back and break it down into % for each goal.  Then I thin it will be easier to see what it means.    Thanks for the feedback, and I am listening and not just justifying.  I am still new to this challenge thing and I am taking notes for how to write up the next one, oh and there will be a next one yes, yes.

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Well I am throwing this here just because.  Does anyone else ever have a day where they are on track for nutrition, and they just stay hungry all day.  I mean I am full right now but I have eaten a ton of food.  I'm not worrying about it but I have had some odd cravings and still have them even when I am very full.  Things like Cold Stone sweet cream, a slice of Boston cream pie, Beets?  Anyone have any tricks to satiate these cravings without actually giving in to them?  Should I give in to them and make an emergency run to The Cheese Cake Factory?

• Like 3

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

1 hour ago, GregT. said:

Should I give in to them and make an emergency run to The Cheese Cake Factory?

In relation to your goals, I would say that's not the best idea. I know what you mean, though, and I have the added struggle of my office always being stocked with doughnuts, candy, cookies, etc. Try high protein and high fat (the good kind, like animal fat) foods that help you feel full. And drink a lot of water, like every time you feel a craving have some water. I also let movement curb my craving, like take a walk (mostly because I know I need to get the hell away from the junk food in the office or I'll give in).

But these are things that work for me, and you're body may respond differently, so take it with a grain of salt.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Resets

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild Heart

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Thanks for the advice Wolfen.  I know what you mean about the office.  The Soldiers have breakfast brought in everyday and always offer.  In this culture it is considered very rude to not accept.  They however understand I am not being rude but am dieting.  They are actually very supportive.  I do break down and have some Karak chai a couple times a week with them, but small price to pay.

As for high fat high protein here are my totals for today lol

3 carbs, 136 g fat, 189 g protein.  I was really hungry after my lift this morning and I had planned to come home and start cooking for the week.  well, I did and by the time I had food ready to eat it was two hours later.  Well I ate, a lot.  ll good stuff.  Either butter, Eggs or ground beef.  My Carbs actually come from my eggs.  

I know I just need to suck it up, but thought I would throw it out incase anyone had a glorious answer.  Cheese Cake factory did sound really good though.  Wanna Creme Cheese cake with extra Whipped Cream.

938567.jpg

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

2 hours ago, GregT. said:

Thanks for the feedback, and I am listening and not just justifying.  I am still new to this challenge thing and I am taking notes for how to write up the next one, oh and there will be a next one yes, yes.

There is nothing wrong with justifying! This is your challenge and you can set it up the way you want! It sounds like you've got it in hand - which is really why I question :). At the end of the day, if you are seeing the results you want, then it doesn't matter! 

2 hours ago, GregT. said:

Well I am throwing this here just because.  Does anyone else ever have a day where they are on track for nutrition, and they just stay hungry all day.

Yes. This generally happens the day or two after a big workout. In my case, it's because my body wants more fuel for the amount of work I've done. Have you seen a craving chart? I'm not sure how accurate the are, but it might be worth a try in the future!

d68655c97d30d3077e9f3668e4b2f5d7--cravin

Personally, that low of a carb level would send me face first into a pizza or tray of cookies. But I agree with Wolfen and do not recommend Cheesecake Factory.

14 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Have you seen a craving chart?

thanks I had not seen one of these before.  I will give it a shot in the future.  You have seen MFP page I am pretty low on carbs as it is.  I have been assured again that my Keto strips are on the way, only been waiting 6 weeks, been doing keto for 4 weeks lol.

As for my justifying comment, just I saw I was coming off defensive, and that was not where I was coming from.  I appreciate people looking and calling BS if they see it.  I appreciate brutal honesty.  to many are afraid to give it or receive.

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

1 minute ago, deftona said:

Hey Greg! I found you! :D 

Welcome.  I wasn't hiding unless you like that sort of thing lol.  Is there a way to make myself more visible?  Other than wearing fluorescent clothing?

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

1 minute ago, GregT. said:

Welcome.  I wasn't hiding unless you like that sort of thing lol.  Is there a way to make myself more visible?  Other than wearing fluorescent clothing?

Put a link to your challenge in your sig! I looked for you last challenge too but couldn't find you. I assumed you just didn't have one but it appears I was wrong! 

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

CHALLENGE BEGINS!

I am on course with everything so far today, except the walk.  I got up and did my normal routine, forgot that challenge started today.  Got done with work out and was in shower and "click" Challenge day you were supposed to walk you igit .  Oh well it is 5 of 7 so I can still pull this one out lol. 

Looking forward to gym today, work out partner is TDY today due to work, so I am going alone.  This will be the first solo workout in the new era.  Should be good, gonna try and crush it.  Then I can belittle him tomorrow about taking a rest day  lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

Well, Challenge has been de-railed a bit.  I have been exhausted the last 3 days.  I was so bad yesterday that while at gym an MD friend of mine asked me if I was OK.  I told him what was going on and he told me to forget the challenge for two days and eat like "crap".  He said I need to get some carbs in me.  He prescribed me Pasta and Pizza last night and some grilled chicken.  Told me to drink plenty of water and go to bed as early as I could.  Well I did.  I got back from gym, did a few chores I had to do, ordered food, cause I don't have that kind of stuff in my home any longer.  I ate it, it tasted good and I felt guilty every bite.  I was nearly breaking down in tears as I felt I was failing.  then I just said wait.  You were taking yourself down a bad road and an MD stepped in and said slow up.  He didn't tell you to eat this way every day or that you were doing it wrong.  He said I needed a break. 6 days of training hard in the gym and my diet was not replacing all I needed was all.  He looked at my MFP page and thought it was good plan.  So I wiped my nose, and ate a pizza :) .  Slow forward to this morning.  I woke up not as sore, and with more energy.  I am still tired but not as bad as last 3 days. In fact I know I am wearing out and glad tomorrow is scheduled rest day because my hand gripper I have n my desk rated for 135 lbs I can't close it once.  I normally do 5 or six sets of 10 each hand each day.  I am on his plan this morning too.  I am to have Oatmeal with honey and some almonds.  For lunch I am to add in carbs to my salad I normally have so I added red Kidney beans.  Dinner is back on the wagon.  He told me that I can work out 6 days but I would need to change my diet to compensate for the reduced rest time. 

So, I did not study Dutch yesterday, I did not lay out after gym, and I did not work on D&D stuff. I ate I showered and I slept for 14 hours.   I think I was tired.

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

One thing I have learned from all of this is that you should never feel guilt for giving your body what it needs. Training and weight loss is very hard work and for the sake of your sanity you need to take your foot off the gas sometimes. 

• Like 4

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Thanks Deffy,

I know it was fleeting.  But I had it.  I had a sudden feeling I was quitting or betraying my goals.  I got over it, and I am on track tonight.  I am feeling better and have energy to go to gym today.  I was able to do a set of grippers a little while ago so I am getting strength back.  maybe the doctor knew what he was saying lol.

• Like 4

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

6 hours ago, GregT. said:

I know it was fleeting.  But I had it.  I had a sudden feeling I was quitting or betraying my goals.  I got over it, and I am on track tonight.  I am feeling better and have energy to go to gym today.  I was able to do a set of grippers a little while ago so I am getting strength back.  maybe the doctor knew what he was saying lol.

Note: I am not a medical professional, so take this with a grain of salt. Also, if your physician tells you otherwise, please listen to the professional. But your carbs seemed much lower than necessary, especially with the amount of exercising you do. While everyone is different, generally people begin to hit ketosis around <50 g of carbs (I'm a big proponent of using urine sticks to determine individual levels). You had one day recently with 3! 

FWIW, even keto advocates say that when first working towards ketosis and while your body adapts, you should keep exercise to aerobic only (low intensity). This can take a month or more depending on your body. I'm not sure about your time frame, but could this be a factor for you?

I'm a nutrition nerd (even if I don't always follow along with everything I learn). There is some research showing that a cyclical-carb diet can be used effectively to improve strength gains while keeping nutritional ketosis. 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

While everyone is different, generally people begin to hit ketosis around <50 g of carbs (I'm a big proponent of using urine sticks to determine individual levels). You had one day recently with 3! 

Yeah I was kinda surprised with that day too lol.  I have been doing Keto for a month and half now.  I have Keto sticks on the way, apparently from half way around the world from here and on a very slow boat, been 3 weeks +.  The Doctor looked at my intake and thought it was ok, he just prescribed more carbs short term.  I am thinking of upping it a bit, and trying for about 50 per day.  I am averaging about 21 per day now.  the best thing I can do I think is to follow the new hard rule I made in Greg T and the Temple of Fe, no more than 3 days in a row.  If I work more than 4 days in a row I must reduce intensity/weight for the 4 days I am working.  But I am going to try and just not do more than 3 days of weight lifting in a row.   Thanks for the feedback.  I do take it to heart.  I am the king with the new 5 day a week lifting routine I may need to go back to having the "Cheat day" not really a cheat day but one of my rest days, having a carb up.  I can still eat healthy just add in those dreaded carbs again.  I am still figuring it out and I just changed what was working for what I hope will work better, just need to tweak it.  If on the "Cheat day" I up the carbs with say, some beans and such I am still maintaining what I want to do, just letting the glycogen re-build.

Curacao here I come.  Here is what I envision  my Upping carbs will look like.

d109ced9a9d1e1d3d9327115752618f8

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists