C_Q's Makey Makeover

Charlie_Quinn

22 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

She still had to keep up with Amber as she pelted up the hill :D Admittedly it did look like the dog was doing a lot of the work! I'd love a dog too but I'm really not in a position where it'd be fair on the Dog right now.

It's never easy to keep up with something with 4 legs and an amazing cardiovascular system! Same, getting a dog now would be selfish. I've thought of looking on that Borrow My Doggy site, but I don't know think owners of dogs would be happy with me dragging their dog out for runs!

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Great report CQ! Sounds like you had a lot of fun :) and well done on the booze....great job!! x

Thanks! 

12 hours ago, Agnarr said:

That's a good plan :P

I planted the "get another dog" seed last night. Not that it took much persuasion! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

My mood today

Crazy Ex-GIFs (brought to you by The Bunchkins) music guitar crazy ex-girlfriend air guitar GIF

So yeah, it's good! I had a CBT session yesterday and I'm really happy to say that I came out of there feeling like I could take over the world. Details in spoiler for people who are interested

Spoiler

For the last few weeks, we've been looking at my safety behaviors (the stuff I do that I think makes me feel "safe" in a social situation, like avoiding eye contact, clasping my hands, etc) and the physical feelings / reactions (like going red, sweating, stammering) 

Last week we did an experiment where I had to have 2 conversations with a stranger for 5 minutes each, the first was with me purposely doing my safety behaviors, and the second with me avoiding my safety behaviors entirely. The person would then go out of the room and fill in a questionnaire that myself and the therapist designed asking things like how anxious did I appear in each conversation, and questions based on how I think people see me. I was so nervous about this last week that I nearly didn't go to the session, but I got through it and it wasn't half as bad as a thought. 

The conversations were videoed and this week we watched the video back and my therapist told me to view them not as if I was watching myself, but as if I was watching a good friend. We went over the person's questionnaire and the results were really surprising to me. Not only did they think I looked confident in the second conversation, they didn't rank my perceived anxiety as high in the first one either. I won't go into to much detail, but basically, all the things I think that people see when they see me, weren't even a consideration to them.

But the biggest breakthrough was watching myself on the video. I had an image in my head of what I was going to look like during the video, and that person just wasn't there. I just looked....normal. It was like this big realisation that my image of myself is so warped from reality. It was like this big wave of relief and a huge confidence boost all at once and it felt really good.

I know that this is just the beginning and I'm going to have to work hard to change that self focus permanently, but this is a start and it feels really good.

On to the challenge!

Week One - Monday

1. I'm so Good at Yoga

Yoga 1/2

1/7 Stretch everyday

I let this slip yesterday as I had a really busy day. I didn't stop all day at work and then went straight from my CBT session to a birthday gathering so ran out of time

Do finger rehab exercises every 2 hours - Yep, this is going well.

2. Greg's Drinking Song

i) Only 1 alcoholic beverage per week

0/1 - Still on zero. Offered a beer at the gathering, but stuck to soft drinks

ii) Avoid the treat table at work

Worked from home so no treat table.

iii) Only 2 "treats" per week (biscuits/cookies, cakes, puddings etc)

0/2 - Amazingly, I'm still on zero here too! There was a buffet but as a lot of the people there including the birthday girl go to Slimming World, there weren't any treats and the only sweet thing was fruit! Had a few pieces of melon to satisfy the sweet craving, so all good!

3. Running and other exercise

Simply no time yesterday, but I want to start doing strength training on a Monday again so this will be the plan for next Monday.

• Like 10

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

9 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I know that this is just the beginning and I'm going to have to work hard to change that self focus permanently, but this is a start and it feels really good.

The problem with safety blanket behaviours is that we end up doing them subconsciously. It's really hard to break them on a permanently because when we aren't feeling good or confident they can be the default behaviour. I'm really glad that you found this session really useful.

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

16 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

The problem with safety blanket behaviours is that we end up doing them subconsciously. It's really hard to break them on a permanently because when we aren't feeling good or confident they can be the default behaviour. I'm really glad that you found this session really useful.

True, it's not something that is going to be fixed overnight, and I know that if I have an anxiety attack, I'm not going to find it easy to avoid those behaviors. But I'm more confident that I'll get there now than I was a few weeks ago. I very nearly quit a few weeks ago as I didn't feel that the sessions were helpful for me and were just making me feel worse. I'm so glad I didn't.

11 minutes ago, Salinger said:

wow CQ, im so proud of you! How amazing that you had such a breakthrough. Keep it going, it will make you feel better and better. 

And well done on the booze and treats. You are having a pretty awesome start to this challenge :D

Thanks. As great as I feel, I'm a bit scared about where we are going from here as we're going expand on this and work on speaking to a group of people instead of just one on one. :unsure:

I always seem to have a good start and then things start to go wrong! I hope that doesn't happen this time!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Thanks. As great as I feel, I'm a bit scared about where we are going from here as we're going expand on this and work on speaking to a group of people instead of just one on one. :unsure:

I always seem to have a good start and then things start to go wrong! I hope that doesn't happen this time!

Just one step at a time CQ, try to stay relaxed and its ok to stumble, its ok to fall...its learning how to get back up again. You are a very strong awesome person, and i have every faith in you. :)

• Like 1

It sounds like the CBT is really helping, yay! :D 

10 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I planted the "get another dog" seed last night. Not that it took much persuasion! :D

I feel the 'want a dog' pull all the time, but like you and Jon, I know that right now, it wouldn't be fair to try and make a dog fit into my life. One day... 

• Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

I have the only dog in the world who doesn't like to go on walks.  She hates it.  Laziest.  Dog.  Ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

11 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I had a CBT session yesterday and I'm really happy to say that I came out of there feeling like I could take over the world.

Heck yeah! Glad your CBT sessions are going well. CBT does not have much street cred around these parts, mostly due to the University of Buenos Aires being overtly psychonalitic. 

• Like 1

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

14 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's never easy to keep up with something with 4 legs and an amazing cardiovascular system! Same, getting a dog now would be selfish. I've thought of looking on that Borrow My Doggy site, but I don't know think owners of dogs would be happy with me dragging their dog out for runs!

Ive used Borrow my Doggy a few times, you can see which dogs would enjoy the running....join it and see. :)

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Salinger said:

Just one step at a time CQ, try to stay relaxed and its ok to stumble, its ok to fall...its learning how to get back up again. You are a very strong awesome person, and i have every faith in you. :)

Aw thank you. That means a lot to me. As long as I don't break / sprain / fracture something this time around, I should be OK!

14 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

It sounds like the CBT is really helping, yay! :D 

I feel the 'want a dog' pull all the time, but like you and Jon, I know that right now, it wouldn't be fair to try and make a dog fit into my life. One day... 

It is, and more than I expected it to actually. You've got to do what's right for the dog and not for you. And that's why, when the time is right, you'll be a fantastic dog owner.

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I have the only dog in the world who doesn't like to go on walks.  She hates it.  Laziest.  Dog.  Ever.

Oh no! What breed is she? I had an English Bull Terrier cross when I was younger and she liked a walk, but after a while she'd just lie down and refuse to move!

11 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Heck yeah! Glad your CBT sessions are going well. CBT does not have much street cred around these parts, mostly due to the University of Buenos Aires being overtly psychonalitic. 

I'm sure CBT isn't for everyone. I'm sure a psychoanalytic approach wouldn't have worked for me, the initial assessments were a strain and if the whole process was like this, I wouldn't have wanted to continue.

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

Ive used Borrow my Doggy a few times, you can see which dogs would enjoy the running....join it and see. :)

Oh really? That's interesting. I'd be worried about running with a strangers dog in case something happened. I might sign up and have a browse.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Week One - Tuesday

1. I'm so Good at Yoga

Yoga 1/2

2/7 Stretch everyday

Yep! Post run stretching done.

Do finger rehab exercises every 2 hours - Also done. I'm really hoping for good news at my appointment on Friday. 

2. Greg's Drinking Song

i) Only 1 alcoholic beverage per week

0/1 - Going well here. No beer cravings yet.

ii) Avoid the treat table at work

Yes, but it was a little difficult yesterday. Had a few olives as a snack when I felt a bit "treat-y" mid afternoon.

iii) Only 2 "treats" per week (biscuits/cookies, cakes, puddings etc)

0/2 still on zero, but I am making plans for this weeks treats. I figure, if I'm only having 2 treats, I might as well make them good. I'm going to make a rice pudding at the weekend and I'm quite excited about it. 

3. Running and other exercise

3.17 miles done. Felt a little tired, but that could be because I went to bed late on Monday night.

I have the most random excuse for a late night. There was a huge badger outside my window and I spent about half an hour with a torch pressed against the window, watching it pull worms up from the grass.

I've been spending a lot of time watching running documentaries. I re-watched Run Forever: The film of Nicky Spinks & The Double Bob Graham which I absolutely love. And last night Stu and I watched The Barkley Marathons on Netflix because he didn't know what it was and I think it has to be seen to be believed! I'm about 15 minutes into Life in a day which is about last years Western States 100, so that'll be my lunchtime watch.

I think I've got a problem.

• Like 6

2020 Races: 

23 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The Barkley Marathons on Netflix because he didn't know what it was and I think it has to be seen to be believed!

I think you are right about that! The Barkley Marathons must be the absolute panicle of insanity. I can hardly believe that people try over and over again to finish that thing.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

16 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I think you are right about that! The Barkley Marathons must be the absolute panicle of insanity. I can hardly believe that people try over and over again to finish that thing.

I know! And people call us crazy. I can't believe they call 3 loops of The Barkley a fun run!

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What breed is she?

Anyone's guess.  Observe.

b5pF0fi.jpg

b04csMX.jpg

We think she's a Corgie / Sheltie / maybe Chow? mix.  She's a rescue mutt from an abusive home.  We think she's about 12 or 13 years old.  We've had her for the last 10 years or so.  She has some kind of grain allergy so her food is really expensive.  Dumb old dog.  Her name is Daisy.

• Like 6

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

23 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I know! And people call us crazy. I can't believe they call 3 loops of The Barkley a fun run!

I know right? And the vast majority of people won't even ever make the fun run. The state of them when they finish the loops is haunting. I do recommend people watch the documentary though. It is something that needs to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Anyone's guess.  Observe.

b5pF0fi.jpg

b04csMX.jpg

We think she's a Corgie / Sheltie / maybe Chow? mix.  She's a rescue mutt from an abusive home.  We think she's about 12 or 13 years old.  We've had her for the last 10 years or so.  She has some kind of grain allergy so her food is really expensive.  Dumb old dog.  Her name is Daisy.

SHE'S SO FLUFFY! Look at her tiny little legs! She's adorable. I can see Corgi in there for sure. I feel your pain on the food thing. I have a cat that vomits everything up and only eats the expensive food from the vets. 

14 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

And the vast majority of people won't even ever make the fun run. The state of them when they finish the loops is haunting. I do recommend people watch the documentary though. It is something that needs to be seen to be believed.

It's incredible that all the runners that do it are seasoned ultra runners and yet it's so brutal that some quit after the first loop (for those who don't know, that's 20-ish miles). I wouldn't want to run through those briers again after the first loop, so I don't blame them!

Are you subscribed to The Ginger Runner on YouTube? He has a film coming out soon about this years Barkley. I'm looking forward to that.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

I wouldn't want to run through those briers again after the first loop, so I don't blame them!

I don't think I'd want to run through the briers the first time. Let alone multiple times!

Are you subscribed to The Ginger Runner on YouTube? He has a film coming out soon about this years Barkley. I'm looking forward to that.

Yep, I do subscribe to The Ginger Runner. I only have a small youtube probem ;) I'm trying to figure out when I became the person who talks about running all the time? 

• Haha 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Yep, I do subscribe to The Ginger Runner. I only have a small youtube probem ;) I'm trying to figure out when I became the person who talks about running all the time? 

You'll have to recommend me some other channels to subscribe to. I've browsed a few, but some are a bit rubbish. 

I'm glad you're that person! If I didn't have you guys to talk to, I'd be that person that fills FB up with running talk and get blocked by everyone!

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

@Wild Wolf and @jonfirestar you might like this. First Ultra Essential Guide

Going to have to bookmark this race too. If it's a regular thing, it looks like the perfect first ultra. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

17 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

You'll have to recommend me some other channels to subscribe to. I've browsed a few, but some are a bit rubbish. 

I think I only watch a couple running ones. Off the top of my head. Ginger Runner, is standout in quality and content. I quite like VO2MaxProductions  for the training talk but the production value isn't as high and Mountain Outpost is funny and juvenile. There is a lot of crap, unfortunately but if you know any other good ones I'd be happy to know :)

6 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Oh that's really useful thanks :D

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:
I have the most random excuse for a late night. There was a huge badger outside my window and I spent about half an hour with a torch pressed against the window, watching it pull worms up from the grass.

That is the most random (and awesome) excuse for a late night! I would have been right there with you watching it

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:
She has some kind of grain allergy so her food is really expensive

There's quite a few grain free dog foods out there at least. Now my Floofball is allergic to poultry! Guess how many chicken/turkey free foods are out there?

My dog likes walks....as long as it's not too hot outside and we're only going for about 2 miles. Any more than that or if it's above 80F  he'd rather stay inside. Can't say I blame him, he's wearing a permanent parka

b011604cdd55b7a2a2a9773fb491d8e6.jpg

And yes, cats are assholes

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

b011604cdd55b7a2a2a9773fb491d8e6.jpg

And yes, cats are assholes

Has the cat stolen the Floofball's bed? :lol:

Your Fluffball is so beautiful. It's a shame he's not into walking/running, he's the perfect breed for canicross.

• Like 2

2020 Races: