Jump to content

crashy: Sometimes in life you have to hit back


crashy

Recommended Posts

Hey Team,

 

Hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to another challenge ahead. I'm typically in the Ranger class, but decided to hang with the warriors for a month as I want to add some strength

 

My goals for this challenge are all physical (I'm still working on my full list of goals, so maybe next challenge there will be some other categories). In the long run (i.e. next 6 months) I want to enter some CrossFit tournaments and actually compete (and place reasonably). We had a mini tournament at the CrossFit box that I'm at, and even though I'm not in shape at the moment I knew that I could actually compete with the other guys *IF* I had 6 more months to train. It just felt like a dream that I need to achieve.

 

Here are some 1RM PR's that I would like to achieve this challenge (and my current PR)

. Deadlift - 120KG (Current PR 100KG x 5)

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)

. Front Squat - 90KG (Current PR - 70KG)

. Clean - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Squat Clean and Jerk - 90KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Bench Press - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Snatch - 60KGS (Current PR - 40KG)

 

The above numbers in some cases seem like big gains, but I'm sure they are achievable and my goal numbers are based on how I feel about my current PR (i.e. if it felt heavy or if there was room for more).

 

Daily Battle Logs in my signature.

 

Recycle your pain, get something from it, you're already in pain use it, do something with it! Allow it to take you to the next level.

  • Like 5

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post

Welcome! Stay a while. 

 

That's a lot of PRs.

Deadlift seems the most immediately attainable. Are you working on your sticking points for the lifts and/or do you have a workout plan in place to get to these new numbers?

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Link to post
  • Br0din changed the title to crashy: Sometimes in life you have to hit back
2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Welcome! Stay a while. 

 

That's a lot of PRs.

Deadlift seems the most immediately attainable. Are you working on your sticking points for the lifts and/or do you have a workout plan in place to get to these new numbers?

Thanks, agreed Deadlift is probably the easiest to get to for the moment, I might not hit all the PR's listed, but it's good to aim high. Honestly I think I should be fairly close to getting most of them, just haven't had the opportunities to give them some attempts to make them higher. My workout plan is two parts, the first is CrossFit 3-4x a week, this should get in quite an amount of lifting, and then I go to gym twice a week and usually try and do 5x5 or 5x3 of a weakness (or area I didn't workout properly for the week)

 

One of the real challenges will be Clean and Jerk and Snatch, mainly due to having to work on my technique

 

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Welcome @crashy; falloir warning, there's a #makecrossfitwarrioragain movement happening (okay, it's just @Br0din), so expect a lot of kidnapping attempts and spiked kool-aide, but it's good to have you. What bar position are you awed to use for back squat in the crossfit tournies?

 

Hah I'm in for the #makecrossfitwarrioragain , so @Br0din can pass the kool-aide jug. Back squats are high bar position ( as far as I know), but I'm not 100% sure.

  • Like 1

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post
45 minutes ago, crashy said:

Hah I'm in for the #makecrossfitwarrioragain , so @Br0din can pass the kool-aide jug. Back squats are high bar position ( as far as I know), but I'm not 100% sure.

 

Nothing you haven't already thought about, but if they let you low bar and your shoulders can handle the position, you might be able make a 5-10kg jump just moving from high bar to low bar. 

 

Also, mo' kool-aide, mo' problems. 

 

Kids Are Thirsty

 

Link to post

welcome to #makingcrossfitwarriorsagain! 

Image result for kool aid drinker

  • Haha 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

 

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

 

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

 

Link to post
On 10/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, RedStone said:

giphy.gif 

 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:26 PM, Laghail said:

 

Nothing you haven't already thought about, but if they let you low bar and your shoulders can handle the position, you might be able make a 5-10kg jump just moving from high bar to low bar. 

 

Also, mo' kool-aide, mo' problems. 

 

Kids Are Thirsty

 

 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:38 PM, Br0din said:

welcome to #makingcrossfitwarriorsagain! 

Image result for kool aid drinker

 

I think that I need to get better at GIF's to properly integrate and appreciate NF!

giphy.gif

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post

S'up, dude, and welcome! 
vk6p9_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=cheez
 

2 hours ago, crashy said:

I think that I need to get better at GIF's to properly integrate and appreciate NF!

 



Yeah, it does get pretty giffy around here, it helps take our minds off the DOMS :) 

  • Like 1

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

 

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Gemma said:

Yeah, it does get pretty giffy around here, it helps take our minds off the DOMS :) 

 

Doms?  I think I met that dude once,  I think I scared him off.

Related image

  • Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

 

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

 

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

 

Link to post

PR Updates below

 

. Deadlift - 120KG (Current PR 100KG x 5)

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)  :: DONE - Did 1x110Kg's at CrossFit this morning

. Front Squat - 90KG (Current PR - 70KG)

. Clean - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Squat Clean and Jerk - 90KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Bench Press - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Snatch - 60KGS (Current PR - 40KG) :: Did 50Kgs at CrossFit this morning. Then did 30x50Kgs (Modified Isabel). Fairly sure I can hit this 60Kgs soon

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 6

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post
3 hours ago, crashy said:

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)  :: DONE - Did 1x110Kg's at CrossFit this morning

 


 

hooray-gif-12.gif

  • Like 1

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

 

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

 

Link to post

BOOM! PR (and goal) time again. Deadlift at 1x120Kgs

 

. Deadlift - 120KG (Current PR 100KG x 5) :: DONE - 24 Oct 2017 - Did 1x120Kgs at Gym

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)  :: DONE - 23 Oct 2017 - Did 1x110Kg's at CrossFit

. Front Squat - 90KG (Current PR - 70KG)

. Clean - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Squat Clean and Jerk - 90KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Bench Press - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG) :: Did some BP at gym today, but couldn't get past the 80Kg point

. Snatch - 60KGS (Current PR - 40KG)

  • Like 5

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post
3 hours ago, crashy said:

BOOM! PR (and goal) time again. Deadlift at 1x120Kgs

 

. Deadlift - 120KG (Current PR 100KG x 5) :: DONE - 24 Oct 2017 - Did 1x120Kgs at Gym

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)  :: DONE - 23 Oct 2017 - Did 1x110Kg's at CrossFit

. Front Squat - 90KG (Current PR - 70KG)

. Clean - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Squat Clean and Jerk - 90KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Bench Press - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG) :: Did some BP at gym today, but couldn't get past the 80Kg point

. Snatch - 60KGS (Current PR - 40KG)

 

You may have been holding out on yourself...

  • Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

 

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

 

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

 

Link to post
14 hours ago, Br0din said:

 

You may have been holding out on yourself...

 

Agreed, although I think it was more just not having goals to work towards. Previously it was always just "lift heavier", but now there is a number associated to it which adds a proper target

  • Like 3

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post
8 hours ago, crashy said:

 

Agreed, although I think it was more just not having goals to work towards. Previously it was always just "lift heavier", but now there is a number associated to it which adds a proper target

 

That totally makes sense.  Focusing your training paying off.  

  • Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

 

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

 

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

 

Link to post

Just a quick update from the weekend, hit a few new PR's but not quite at the goal

 

. Deadlift - 120KG (Current PR 100KG x 5) :: DONE - 24 Oct 2017 - Did 1x120Kgs at Gym

. Back Squat - 110KG (Current PR - 95KG)  :: DONE - 23 Oct 2017 - Did 1x110Kg's at CrossFit

. Front Squat - 90KG (Current PR - 70KG) :: NEW PR - Did 85Kgs at CrossFit 30 Oct. Had to Clean off the ground which was the limiting factor

. Clean - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG) :: NEW PR - Did 85Kgs at CrossFit 30 Oct. It was heavy!

. Squat Clean and Jerk - 90KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Bench Press - 100KG (Current PR - 80KG)

. Snatch - 60KGS (Current PR - 40KG) :: Did 15 12 9 x 50Kgs Snatch today. Pretty sure 60 is achievable, just need to get the opportunity.

  • Like 1

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post

Hey Team,

 

Some unfortunate news, it seems that life has hit me back a little, but luckily for me I'm the kind of person that takes bad news in my stride and finds alternate ways to succeed.

 

In summary, about 4 years ago I got a shoulder injury (right shoulder), which at the time I got checked out and it was "Bicep Tendinitis" (which is a tear of sorts of the bicep muscle where it attaches to the shoulder). I had a cortisone injection into it at the time and then stopped doing shoulder related exercises (that was the time that I took up running  and cycling) and it was fine for years. Over the past month since I've started lifting weights it's come back and has a nagging pain in it. I went to go and see a shoulder specialist yesterday for another cortisone injection (to tide me over until early next year, hopefully) and I'm likely to go for a shoulder op Feb 2018 to get it sorted. 

 

Estimated recovery times are (and they vary, these are averages)

- 4 weeks in a sling (I will have use of my arm, but recommended it stays in the sling)

- 4-8 more weeks where I will have my arm out of a sling, but shouldn't be doing any activities with it

- 4-8 more weeks where I will need to start from the ground and build up the weight slowly

 

If I have the ops in Feb 2018 then that means Jul 2018 I should be back in action. The doctor implied that after the full recovery listed above that I will have no restrictions in terms of anything and can get back to #makingcrossfitwarrioragain

 

This news obviously directly impacts onto my goals above and I doubt that I will complete any more of them.

 

Since sometimes in life you have to hit back, I'm going to shift my focus from strength (Warriors) to cardio (Scouts\Rangers), and will probably work more on my distance and core, and possibly try get some left up.

 

More news to follow.

 

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post
6 hours ago, crashy said:

Hey Team,

 

Some unfortunate news, it seems that life has hit me back a little, but luckily for me I'm the kind of person that takes bad news in my stride and finds alternate ways to succeed.

 

In summary, about 4 years ago I got a shoulder injury (right shoulder), which at the time I got checked out and it was "Bicep Tendinitis" (which is a tear of sorts of the bicep muscle where it attaches to the shoulder). I had a cortisone injection into it at the time and then stopped doing shoulder related exercises (that was the time that I took up running  and cycling) and it was fine for years. Over the past month since I've started lifting weights it's come back and has a nagging pain in it. I went to go and see a shoulder specialist yesterday for another cortisone injection (to tide me over until early next year, hopefully) and I'm likely to go for a shoulder op Feb 2018 to get it sorted. 

 

Estimated recovery times are (and they vary, these are averages)

- 4 weeks in a sling (I will have use of my arm, but recommended it stays in the sling)

- 4-8 more weeks where I will have my arm out of a sling, but shouldn't be doing any activities with it

- 4-8 more weeks where I will need to start from the ground and build up the weight slowly

 

If I have the ops in Feb 2018 then that means Jul 2018 I should be back in action. The doctor implied that after the full recovery listed above that I will have no restrictions in terms of anything and can get back to #makingcrossfitwarrioragain

 

This news obviously directly impacts onto my goals above and I doubt that I will complete any more of them.

 

Since sometimes in life you have to hit back, I'm going to shift my focus from strength (Warriors) to cardio (Scouts\Rangers), and will probably work more on my distance and core, and possibly try get some left up.

 

More news to follow.

 

 

Oof, rough news. This happens though. A few warriors around here like @Chimichanga and @Taddea Zhaan show a lot of grit dealing with surgical setbacks and adapting their training strategies. You got this @crashy.

Link to post
16 hours ago, Laghail said:

Oof, rough news. This happens though. A few warriors around here like @Chimichanga and @Taddea Zhaan show a lot of grit dealing with surgical setbacks and adapting their training strategies. You got this @crashy.

 

Thanks for the positive message and backup! Have been feeling rather demotivated since any gains I get in my shoulder\arm is going to be "wasted", but I've got my gym gear here today and it's business time.

 

New semi-warrior goals for the rest of the challenge:

1. Back Squat 110kgs x 5 (Currently this is my 1RM)

2. Double Unders - Work on my DU technique (Be able to string 10 together)

3. Pistol Squat - Be able to do 1 pistol squat per side properly (harder than one would think!)

4. Run - Complete 5KM time trial - Current (unfit PR is 31 minutes), try so this in 27:30 (averaging 5:30\km)

5. Abs - My krytonite - Add 5 sets of ab related exercises to each workout

 

  • Like 2

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post

Hey Team,

 

I've been rather quiet lately, but have actually done some exercises! (Battle Log - 

 

Update on my (revised) goals

 

New semi-warrior goals for the rest of the challenge:

1. Back Squat 110kgs x 5 (Currently this is my 1RM)

2. Double Unders - Work on my DU technique (Be able to string 10 together) - Have done 10 minutes practice at each gym session (2 total) and have done 5 in a row

3. Pistol Squat - Be able to do 1 pistol squat per side properly (harder than one would think!) - Tried this and did 50 (25 per leg), didn't go right down, still need to work on the form

4. Run - Complete 5KM time trial - Current (unfit PR is 31 minutes), try so this in 27:30 (averaging 5:30\km)

5. Abs - My krytonite - Add 5 sets of ab related exercises to each workout - Did 3x20 sit ups and 5x20 Kettlebell twists

 

  • Like 1

Crash || Level 3: Wandering Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

Current Quest: "Sometimes in life you have to hit back"

Previous: "Crash arrives at the Rangers Guild" \ "Tell them I'm coming out head first"

Battle Log: "We can fight out way back into the light"

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines