Valkyrie approaches Trinity College, a beautiful establishment of scholarship and the quiet pursuit of knowle- what is that sound? 

It comes again: thud! Whomp! “Oof!” 

Valkyrie hastens, drawn by the sounds of people engaged in combat of some sort. She steps inside a building whose door is just ajar, and is confronted by many people in pajamas, rolling around on the ground! How silly, what are they thinking-

Oh! Not pajamas! Gis! And they’re not rolling around without purpose, they’re grappling, playing the human chess game of Brazilian jiu jitsu. 

The Irish Winter Open for gi BJJ is commencing!  Valkyrie steps up to the scale to weigh in, she’s a solid middleweight, scraping by just under 69 kg with her gi on. She can’t help a flutter of excitement at the prospect of testing her skills against other women, and reviews her game plan: take down to full guard or take the back, which decide whether she plays a full guard game or goes straight for the submission via rear naked choke. Of course, she thinks wryly, things never go to plan. Adaptability and fluidity is the key! She who can think on her feet will prevail! 

——————

Sunday, October 22nd, is my first tournament in Brazilian jiu jitsu! All my efforts the past month have been to prepare for the tournament and make weight (didn’t cut any calories, but boy do I miss salt!), and Sunday I finally get to play! 

After that, it’ll be my last couple of weeks in Ireland, before I return home to the next adventure and my goal is to just continue what I’ve been doing and have a little more flexibility once the tournament is over.

Goals for this challenge:

1. The Weigh In 

-I will make weight at under 69 kg (or 152 lbs), in my gi, on the morning of the tournament. I will accomplish this by keeping sodium low, water, sleep and steps high. 

- Sodium: <2000-2500

- Water: >100 oz

- Sleep: 8 hours

- Steps: >8k

2. Focus On Flowers, Not Weeds

- I will write 3 things for which I am grateful every day. If attitude is everything, then mine should be positive and resilient. 

3. For Fitness

- I will run or perform some other form of conditioning on Tuesdays, and perform 3 sets of ab exercises every day I don’t train BJJ. 

• Like 3

Woo great to see you :D I hope you are doing good! and wow a tournament! Awesome good luck!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

This is totally kickass, Valkyrie! You're write-up has me PUMPED! Les do this, girlie! Rock those Irish lass's like the bad mamma jamma you are :D 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, jonfirestar said:

Woo great to see you :D I hope you are doing good! and wow a tournament! Awesome good luck!

Things are going well! Well done on all your events, you’re a racing machine!! 

On 10/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, Wild Wolf said:

This is totally kickass, Valkyrie! You're write-up has me PUMPED! Les do this, girlie! Rock those Irish lass's like the bad mamma jamma you are :D 

Wolf

I will do my best, Wolf!! 

On 10/18/2017 at 3:43 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again.

Yay, hi Tank! 

On 10/18/2017 at 5:49 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

Ohhhh a tournament, that's so cool! Your write-up adds to the excitement, too, holy wow this is incredible. Cheering for you, Valkyrie! <3

Hi Miaulin, good to see you!

5 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Agreeing with that hairy wolf-boy, this writeup got me excited. Please do another one of those writeups after sunday! Really curious to how it went, and you're writing reads away super easy! (which help when english is your secondary language :D ).

And i'm wishing you already a great dose of good luck!

Your wish is my command, I will definitely do a follow up write up when it’s all said and done! Thanks!

• Like 2

Make Weight:

Checked myself with the gi today a couple hours after breakfast and water, and I make weight as of today! (I was a smidgeon over until now! Phew!) 

To make sure I still make weight on the day, I have adhered to the protocol today as detailed in the first post! 

+ Sodium: 1870 

+ Water: 127 oz 

+ Sleep: 8 hours

+ Steps: 8524 

Focus On Flowers, Not Weeds (FOFNW from now on):

+ I wrote my 3 things I’m grateful for today in my bullet journal. :) 

For Fitness:

+ Daily ab exercise: plank x30”/40”/60” 

Going to bed shortly to get my 8 hours before BJJ in the morning!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Things are going well! Well done on all your events, you’re a racing machine!

:) thanks. I've not done that much this year but I had so much fun at the Spartan I've already signed up for my Trifecta next year! How's things with you? How is Ireland treating you? 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

:) thanks. I've not done that much this year but I had so much fun at the Spartan I've already signed up for my Trifecta next year! How's things with you? How is Ireland treating you? 

That is so exciting!! I saw you have plans for a marathon, too, that is fantastic!  I’m well, Ireland is really good :) The first month was a bit rough, but I acclimated and it’s been great, and really flown by. BJJ has been a lifesaver for staving off cabin fever while I’m not working! 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

That is so exciting!! I saw you have plans for a marathon, too, that is fantastic!  I’m well, Ireland is really good :) The first month was a bit rough, but I acclimated and it’s been great, and really flown by. BJJ has been a lifesaver for staving off cabin fever while I’m not working! 

Yeah a crazy marathon but in a very beautiful part of the country. I really hope it is something I can pull off. I do remember the cabin fever feeling when I was making the same kind of trips to the US before I first moved. I'm happy you've got something healthy and fun to be getting on with to stop you from going crazy!

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah a crazy marathon but in a very beautiful part of the country. I really hope it is something I can pull off. I do remember the cabin fever feeling when I was making the same kind of trips to the US before I first moved. I'm happy you've got something healthy and fun to be getting on with to stop you from going crazy!

Our biggest priority, besides getting married, is getting a car in Ireland, and Will getting his license, so we can drive in each other’s countries and go less crazy. :P

42 minutes ago, EmeraldEagle said:

giphy.gif

Great challenge!

Hello! Thank you! 

Training Notes:

Excellent training today! We skipped (we is fiancée and I) the early class, we were both tired, but I went to the 11 am class, which is 90 minutes of pure craic. 

We drilled takedowns, escape from side control and the counter to escape from side control, and flow in full guard: arm bar->omoplata->triangle choke. My arm bar is really good IF I can actually get the arm. Thus far, I’ve not been strong enough to get the arm across and keep it, but maybe against girls it’ll work, I tend to be on the strong side when I fight girls. My usual plan when fighting guys is to get mount and go for Ezekiel choke or armbar or americana, I don’t usually try to play a full guard game with men, I don’t have the brute strength to control the arm and I waste a lot of energy there. It will be interesting to see what happens Sunday!

Anyway, did some free rolling with two of our super light guys, I actually outweigh them, which is delightful lol, and there were all kinds of reversals and sweeps and attempts on both side, which is really fun. Then I rolled with this guy who is also pretty light but who’s technique was beautiful and the word “dominated” doesn’t even do it justice. I was like a fish out of water being squashed by a boulder; couldn’t breathe, couldn’t move, and tapped like 3 times in 5 minutes. Rounds like that force me to master my emotions because I get frustrated and my logic goes out the window as I get more frustrated and flustered under the pretty relentless pressure (this guy weighed 150 lbs and it felt like 300 lbs!), so it sucked but it was good for me. Nothing like being completely owned to remind one to be humble.

My professor Alex asked if I was coming to class tomorrow, I told him I wasn’t planning on it, but did he think I should? He said I should come for an active recovery day, just to drill and make sure I’ve got the sequence and steps of things down, for confidence. I don’t need much encouragement to train more, so I will be there in the morning! Poor fiancée, always getting ditched for BJJ...I’m lucky he understands me so well!

• Like 4

Make Weight:

Still looking good for weigh in! And they posted the brackets, looks like there’s 3 of us in my weight class and 3 matches listed, so I think we each fight twice (like, say it’s me, “Carol” and “Stacie”, it’s me and Carol, Carol and Stacie, and Me and Stacie?) but maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know how it works lol. 

Anyway:

+Sodium: 1640 

+Water: 170 oz (I’ve started drinking from a 2 L bottle, that helps a lot!) 

+Sleep: it was a bit broken, but I got 8 hours.

+/-Steps: I sort of got them and sort of didn’t, I got 5k actual steps, and then ETP has this conversion chart for LISS activities that convert to steps, so I converted cooking time to 60 steps/minute, according to their chart and that got me to >8,000....it’s cheating, I think, but I’ll take it. 

FOFNW:

Gratitude journal done :) 

1. Grateful for my mom for being my best friend

2. BJJ, finding my passion for this sport has changed my life

3. My coaches in Ireland and at home, and all my training partners who teach me every day and keep me humble. 

For Fitness:

BJJ training: 90 minutes

• Like 3
10 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Rounds like that force me to master my emotions because I get frustrated and my logic goes out the window as I get more frustrated and flustered under the pretty relentless pressure

#Nostalgia. This brings back memories from when I did MMA/BJJ. There were times were I would get smoked and turned into a pretzel but the sheer technique of the guy I was rolling with. I remember one time, the lead instructor used me as an example of how to execute a move to the class...lol, and I was the balloon, he was the balloon artists...

sHhX8SK.gif

Keep kickin butt :)

Wolf

• Haha 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Wow your training sounds intense! It's also really obvious in the way you write how much you love it, I can feel the smile coming out of my computer screen :) Good luck for your comp! If you've been training against guys I'm sure that wil stand you in good stead against women your own size. 

• Thanks 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

12 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

#Nostalgia. This brings back memories from when I did MMA/BJJ. There were times were I would get smoked and turned into a pretzel but the sheer technique of the guy I was rolling with. I remember one time, the lead instructor used me as an example of how to execute a move to the class...lol, and I was the balloon, he was the balloon artists...

sHhX8SK.gif

Keep kickin butt :)

Wolf

This is the perfect analogy!! Sometimes you’re the hammer, sometimes you are the balloon giraffe. 

12 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Wow your training sounds intense! It's also really obvious in the way you write how much you love it, I can feel the smile coming out of my computer screen :) Good luck for your comp! If you've been training against guys I'm sure that wil stand you in good stead against women your own size. 

There’s never a bad day when it includes jiu jitsu :) Thank you! I’m nervous because I want to make my coach proud and do well, but I’m just plain excited for the experience, win or lose! 

Valkyrie rolled out of bed, wakened by the fake bird sounds of her alarm. All the real birds were in hiding, because Storm Brian had arrived and was pelting the quiet houses outside with wind and rain. Valkyrie thought for a moment of staying home. Without a car, travel involved a fair bit of walking and catching a bus that may or may be on time, if it showed up at all. Then she remembered- the tournament the next day! She gathered her things and ventured out in the storm, umbrella clutched tight and tilted to keep it from the gusts of wind. The bus was late, of course, and she stood in the rain for 10 minutes, reviewing arm bar technique in her mind’s eye as her jeans were soaked by sideways flying rain. 

She caught the bus and sent out a What’s App message to her club, with a half joking request for a pick up at her bus stop in Dublin, a 15 minute walk to the Gym. One of the lads stepped in and saved the day, and Valkyrie became more determined to have a bloody car by the first half of next year, and was grateful for the camaraderie and kindness of her training friends. 

Training Notes:

I drillled pull guard to take back, it felt shaky and unreliable today, but I was shown an extra step I have been missing and that helped a lot. You have to step forward with the back foot to help you get close enough to get the leverage you need...it’s ok, I know what I mean by that. :p

I worked with a young guy, only 16, and brand spankin’ new, it was fun helping to teach him scissor sweep and armbar from mount, and he was a good sport being MY balloon while I practiced taking the back, cross choke and rear naked choke (poor lad, he really was a great sport!), as well as side control to Americana and side control to take mount. 

Im at the familiar stage I know from college, where the test is tomorrow and I know what i know at this point, no use cramming anymore. I’m gonna drink loads of water, eat all my Super day food (2700 calories, yay!)go to bed very early, and wash my gi and sports wear. hopefully the gi will dry in time....

• Like 5

Good luck!!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Hey guys! It went GREAT!! 

There were 3 of us in my weight class, and I fought 2nd, won my first fight and lost my 2nd, earning me a silver medal for my class! The write up is coming, but here’s the videos for my fights for anyone interested in 5 minutes of pajama wrestling :P

• Like 2

Woo well done! You are such a badass!

• Thanks 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

These things are always a game of “hurry up and wait”, but Valkyrie didn’t mind. She watched her friends fight, cheering them on, and shouting unsolicited advice from the side of the mat. 

The time finally came, and she stepped up for the official weigh in. 68.1 kg, thank you very much! 

The other two girls in her weight division fought first, so she watched with her coach, seeing straight away that one of the girls, a dark haired girl named Jen, was a force to be reckoned with, and won handily against the blonde, Marina. A few fights later a staff member called, “Valkyrie!?” 

She jumped, her heart racing now, she clapped hands with her coach and he said, “you can do this!” 

Approaching the mat, she saw she was fighting Marina, the girl who lost the last fight. Adrenaline coursed through her bloodstream and as she shook hands with the ref and her opponent, everything else faded away. 

They both kept low, hips back, reaching for the other’s collar and sleeve, both clearly wanted to pull guard. Valkyrie got her grips at the same time as the other girl, and the girl tried to pull guard. Valkyrie defended, immediately bringing her knee up, and suddenly it clicked. Knee up, other leg steps forward to control the opponent’s leg, head down on her belly, climb up, swing legs over to pass the guard. Oh shit! Get the underhook, get the underhook! Got it! 2 points for passing guard. Control the arms, get into position...3 points for side control. The girl defended well but couldn’t get any leverage against valkyrie’s pressure. Valkyrie heard her coach shouting, “stay there, stay there, take your time. You are winning!” Valkyrie passes her arm over, sees the opportunity and takes mount. 4 points. She can’t hear it at the time, deaf to everything except labored breathing, but her corner erupts in cheers. Her coach’s voice breaks through, “keep your head down!” 

The girl bucked wildly, and managed to flip Valkyrie over. She couldn’t speak, couldn’t even think in complete sentences but the fury of the “NO!” inside her head gave her the strength and she flipped the girl back over to recover mount, fast enough that her opponent didn’t get points for the sweep. 

They struggle in this position for the remainder of the match, Valkyrie trying to position herself for armbar, her opponent defending and neither hear the ref calling time at first. They shake hands and the ref holds Valkyrie’s arm up in victory, 9-0! 

Arms and legs like jelly, Valkyrie received a victory kiss from her mister, who was there supporting her the whole time. 

“You did very well, Valkyrie,” her coach said, clapping her on the back, “keep loose and stay focused.” 

A few fights later, it was Valkyrie’s turn again, facing Jen, the winner of the first round. The girl was young, only 17, but had a fierce quality about her that shook Valkyrie’s confidence. They shook hands and the match began. They both fought for grips, and Valkyrie attempted to pull guard, breaking her opponent’s posture, but the girl defended well against her de la riva guard and before Valkyrie knew it, she had passed her guard completely.

What came next was a blur, and even after watching the footage, it was difficult to piece together how it went. Valkyrie got full guard at one point, and almost swept her, but Jen defended well. 

The turning point came when Jen slammed Valkyrie onto her back. The wind whooshed out of her lungs and for a stunned second she couldn’t breathe at all, couldn’t move, couldn’t think. She tried to react, but it was too late, Jen had her in an obnoxiously tight side control. The girl’s shoulder dug into her throat and she felt like she weighed 300 lbs on her chest. She glanced at the clock and saw 2 minutes left. “Oh fuck,” she thought as she struggled to make space to breathe; that was when Valkyrie stopped believing she could win. She couldn’t regain her breath after having the wind knocked out of her, and her muscles fatigued from the struggle to escape from side control, which, incidentally, she was doing backward, grabbing the wrong side of her opponent’s gi, which is why the escape technique wasn’t working like it should.

Jen tried for mount several times, but Valkyrie defended well, refusing to give her anymore points in this match, and defended against Jen’s attempts at an Americana on her left arm. She didn't believe she could win, but there was no way in hell she was going to get tapped out in the last minute.

“Time up!” The ref called the match, finally, victory to Jen, with a score of 4-2. The girls shook hands and hugged, and made their way to the podium. 

She didn’t realize until she watched the footage later that she was only 2 points down, and a sweep away from tying the match up. Maybe if she had known, she would have found some reserve of strength and turned the tides, though perhaps not. Either way, she was proud of her performance in both fights, and Valkyrie vowed never to give up again. Oss! 

• Like 3