Now that the tournament is over, I’m on Phase II of the challenge. Not much of a difference, really, but instead of Make Weight, it’s Maintain Weight :P I couldn’t give a flying fig what the number on the scale is, now! What’s awesome is that that is a fairly recent change. I was always owned by the scale, and saw one number (less) as better than another number (more). Now, I don’t want to be less. I want to build muscle  get stronger, perform better, and I couldn’t care if I weigh 140 lbs or 155, as long as I’m progressing towards my goals. I would be over the moon to put on 10 lbs of muscle and weigh 155! 

So, what are my goals now that the tourney is over? That took over my entire life for 5 weeks, training for it and being strictly 95/5 with my food choices (rather than my usual 80/20...I like candy and lattes with sugary syrup). I forgot what salt tastes like. (And actually, now I find some things I used to eat a month ago are too salty for my taste!)

I feel a bit...at a loss for what’s next. I took 3 days off of strictly following my macros (Sunday I ate the most gorgeous donuts, and then Monday and Tuesday I think I actually underate, but it was all junk food lol), but I’m ready to hop back on the ETP train, especially where my water intake is concerned. I feel great when I drink 3-4 L a day, and I feel like shit physically and mentally when I drink less than 2 L.

Reflecting on my fight, I gassed once she got me into side control and I couldn’t quite get the power to create space to escape, and every failed attempt left me more gassed.

I know I need to work on explosiveness and the cardio requirements inherent in those kinds of powerful movements...hiit needs to happen. I’d like to be able to do an explosive push-up motion (like a clap push-up or able to crow hop in plank, know what I mean?) The core control, the shoulder stabilization and the coordination all elude me for those kind of motions, all 3 elements are helpful when performing escapes from a 600 lb person (ok, she only felt like 600 lbs)

I struggle to close the deal when it comes to submissions. I had that first girl from the get go,  I was dominant the entire time, it was my game, but I couldn’t quite finish. I was afraid of losing control and giving her space to escape when I had her in side control, and I couldn’t get her arms isolated enough for an armbar from mount. Both situations had something in common, I realize as I type this: I had insufficient control of her arms, so I couldn’t move forward with the submission. The fix? I think to improve my technique for controlling in those positions. Like, in side control, I see in the video that I’m almost there, but if I had moved my hips a little differently I could have trapped the arm close to me well enough to attack her other arm for Americana. I also need to drill these submissions more so that when I get the opportunity, there is no hesitation to try to remember how to complete, I just do it. Basically, sounds to me like I need more time on the mats, with focus on getting it right every time in the drill so that I get it right in the fight. 

So...

Maintain Weight

1. Hit Macros

2. Sodium: 2k-2700

3. Water: >2 L

4. Sleep: >7.5 hours

5. Steps: >8k 

For Fitness

1. Train BJJ 3-4x a week (I will miss 2 days next week because vacation and then I’m actually leaving the Wednesday after. holy crap where did the time go!? I am gonna miss my professor a lot, but I’ll keep training in Utah)

2. Abs and HIIT 

- Abs and push ups every day I don’t train

- HIIT Thursdays and Sundays (we’ll see how that goes) 

FOFNW:

I have done this every day since I started the challenge and it has helped me to be more positive and stay in the now. I will continue :) 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I’d like to be able to do an explosive push-up motion (like a clap push-up or able to crow hop in plank, know what I mean?) 

To begin with you don't need to be able to clap when you propel yourself off the ground but just push off with enough force to lift yourself off the ground. It might just be an inch or so at first. I was never able to clap but I did start getting better (until I hurt my shoulder. It wasn't from these but I'm still not confident enough to try anything that will put impact on my shoulder).

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

To begin with you don't need to be able to clap when you propel yourself off the ground but just push off with enough force to lift yourself off the ground. It might just be an inch or so at first. I was never able to clap but I did start getting better (until I hurt my shoulder. It wasn't from these but I'm still not confident enough to try anything that will put impact on my shoulder).

Yeah I hear you! , clapping is in my distant future, but clearing the ground would make me ecstatic! Just to have the strength and coordination for that would be great.

• Like 1

All just fantastic, great games and i especially liked to hear how you experienced it. Not just the combination of the video and your report, but also the next few posts about, "so what now".

Beware that one of the most important things of succeeding is having a goal to work towards. So if i were you i would try to book another match asap (seeing how fired up you got about this). This will keep you from slacking, and will let you grow even further, you already know which parts you want to better. Make a plan, set a goal, and work.

This guy says it even better than i ever could... (i already posted this recently, but i can't recall where)

Spoiler

Congrats another time!!! You did fantastic!

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

Congrats.Very nice write up. Sounds like a great first match. You did fantastic, and learned some things to improve on. Also liking you post where you were grateful that your mom was your best friend. My mom and I were great friends, and that is a wonderful thing. I just returned from vacationing with my son. It is wonderful to have an adult son who I really just enjoy being around, and is someone I consider a friend.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27