A chef, a fighter pilot, and a surgeon walk into a..., con't. [Shadowlion]

ShadowLion

Continuing...

10/28/2017 Addition

Overview

Based on my goals, evolving Epic Quest, and tight time constraints, I am building a multi-challenge system, one that will most likely span the better part of a year, while still maintaining a basic challenge during this construction phase.

I just don’t have time to sit down and master plan like I used to. That’s actually been the reality for more than a year, but I kept trying to do things the old way and failing. Silly Shadowlion… 

New situation; new constraints. New constraints; new methods. “Adapt and overcome,” as we used to say in fire academy. 

Changed Methods

I’m building and modifying my challenge airplane while in the air!

While I know that patience, small steps, and building keystone habits are critical to long-term success, temperamentally I like to plan big and then hit it hard. That approach has caused me injury in the past and I don’t have the time right now for the old-style extravaganzas. :apologetic:

So, I am experimenting with new ways to apply challenge objectives and principles. These center on:

• Altering my challenge timeframes to better fit my particular situation
  • Modeling people who have successfully achieved the results I want (my “dinner party” guests)
  • Manipulating my schedule and environment to make old, bad habits harder and new, good ones easier

More details on how I am doing that in the next installment...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

First!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

SECOND!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Hi @Tanktimus the Encourager, @darkfoxx, and @DarK_RaideR!

Gradually adding to my topic post - see update at top of page.

Environmental and schedule adaptations

Taking the bus means that I walk at least one way, some days both ways, between the Express bus stop and work. There is a connecting route that I often take in the mornings as I am still gradually increasing my average weekly walking total. It is becoming an ingrained routine and I am finding myself looking forward to the walks most days. The bonuses are that I am using the ride itself to get some of my class work done and it has cut the miles I drive in my rickety old car by at least 80%.

Four days taking the bus this week and, having proved to myself that I am sticking with it, I went ahead and got a monthly pass. That will save a little bit of time over buying the daily ones and keep me out of the convenience store with it's evil, sugary temptations. Win. Win. It's costing me a little bit more per month out of pocket than driving, but just the relief of not having to deal with rush hour traffic every day is worth it!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Just for fun - I walked by this yesterday on my way to the bus....

Kinetic Sculpture at Phoenix's Chase Field by George Rhoads

I think the sculptor would make an interesting dinner party guest! 

Interview with George Rhoads, painter, origami master and creator of rolling ball sculptures.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir