AriatikStarr tries to go 28 days without leaving town

AriatikStarr

As far as I can tell, my slight nomadic phase is over (for now). I should be able to focus a little more on... everything. Maybe. Hopefully. I really wanted to bike to Maryland this weekend but i made a bunch of other plans instead. I’m busy for the next several days so I figured I’d get this out of the way now, while I’m thinking about it (then start Sunday, ON TIME). 

lifting:

- start 5-3-1 again. When I left off last time, I worked up to all new PRs, then stalled pretty hard. I stepped everything back quite a bit and still stalled, so stopped the program. I still have all of those spreadsheets handy. I think I’m going to attempt my “Cycle A” (the backup plan) and if I don’t get a surplus of reps on the + days, I’ll back it down further. For the sake of Post length, i won’t list out what each week’s individual goals will be but I’ll note them in my weekly updates (they’re all in my spreadsheet).

- keep doing accessories. Front squats, overhead squats, cleans, RDLs, banded glute work, and dumbbell Work. 

stretching: 

Beyond my hip and shoulder issues... I’ve been having issues with extremely tight ankles & calves. As far as I can tell, this is then causing crazy pains in my feet. I’m sure a good deal of this has been from walking in worn out shoes, and i finally bought new ones... but going to add calf stretches to the mix.

- stretch every morning while coffee is going. Ideally also stretch every night right before bed. If I can get one every day though, I’ll count that as a win this time. 

mountain biking:

- 2x per week. I’m hoping to bleed my brakes and make the bike functional again on Saturday (I need a second set of hands, and just today was asked for a favor which I then used for bargaining). If for some reason it still isn’t functional I’ll take it to a shop, but then my rides may just be doubletrack on a cx bike. 

Spanish:

For now, just want to work on duolingo for two hours per week. I was doing this a few months ago but got really busy. 

Reading

at this point I really just need to finish the weird book I’ve been reading forever. 

Extras / non weekly goals:

Find dates & logistics for next wilderness first aid class. Not likely to be during this challenge but I need to actually remember to look it up when I’m not falling asleep. 

• Like 3

Well, I may need to revise my lifting goals. Yesterday I stretched twice, but I did a few things that I specifically haven’t done since an injury two years ago (except for in an actual yoga class where someone steps you into those poses correctly). Today my (I think) SI joint popped while squatting 95 pounds during the warm up. 

For now I’m just going to put the lifting goal on hold. The positive: walking out of the gym early allowed me to see a pretty wild sunrise. The negative: I have 8+ miles of dog walking errands to ride my bike to. 

26 minutes ago, AriatikStarr said:

Well, I may need to revise my lifting goals. Yesterday I stretched twice, but I did a few things that I specifically haven’t done since an injury two years ago (except for in an actual yoga class where someone steps you into those poses correctly). Today my (I think) SI joint popped while squatting 95 pounds during the warm up. 

For now I’m just going to put the lifting goal on hold. The positive: walking out of the gym early allowed me to see a pretty wild sunrise. The negative: I have 8+ miles of dog walking errands to ride my bike to. 

Popped as in you are now in pain, or just popped and that was it? 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

36 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Popped as in you are now in pain, or just popped and that was it? 

In pain. I came home, did some self-adjustments and applied Biofreeze. Will do ibuprofen before headed out for errands. It’s tempting to make a PT appointment with the guy who helped me last time, but he showed me all the stretches and strengthening stuff to do at home and I feel guilty when I go in for an adjustment and then don’t go back 2x per week like he wants. (And the stretches I did were not any of the ones he prescribed, but WERE ones I had read NOT to do with SI joint distinction)

Also i blacked out getting up from the toilet after an adjustment and that’s like, not on the list of things I can have happen today. 

5 hours ago, AriatikStarr said:

Holy cow, I fully support the no-permanent-damage plan. What're dog walking errands?

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Holy cow, I fully support the no-permanent-damage plan. What're dog walking errands?

I work from home, and this past spring decided to sign up for a dog walking service kind of randomly. I now have two daily or nearly-daily clients that I tend to over lunch. It has forced me to start bike-commuting again because i can’t get everywhere fast enough on foot. 

I also have two cat feeding days this week, and 1-2 tea packaging days. 

I feel like it always works out like this right after I do something stupid. 

Oh and one of the dogs weighs 46 pounds and has to be carried outside to pee. That may be the scariest thing, because if something happens here I will fall with the dog (and she WILL pee on me, but that would be the least of my worries). So far, so good though. Just hurts. I think I got it back where it’s supposed to be this morning. 

No more twisting movements, unless guided by a professional. 

17 minutes ago, AriatikStarr said:

I work from home, and this past spring decided to sign up for a dog walking service kind of randomly. I now have two daily or nearly-daily clients that I tend to over lunch. It has forced me to start bike-commuting again because i can’t get everywhere fast enough on foot. 

I also have two cat feeding days this week, and 1-2 tea packaging days. 

I feel like it always works out like this right after I do something stupid. 

I feel like your life could easily be a gibli movie.

Image result for ghibli movie gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, AriatikStarr said:

Oh and one of the dogs weighs 46 pounds and has to be carried outside to pee. That may be the scariest thing, because if something happens here I will fall with the dog (and she WILL pee on me, but that would be the least of my worries). So far, so good though. Just hurts. I think I got it back where it’s supposed to be this morning. 

I feel like getting peed on by a lame dog is a pretty big worry. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

I think I’m going to do a midweek check-in so that I can keep everything straight (I have previously forgotten a lot of the week’s happenings by the time I had made an update).

Sunday:

- stretched 2x

- mountain biked for the first time since June. It was fun. I only went about 12 miles total including the road to get there but it was surprisingly less difficult than expected. I moved pretty slowly, and walked across one bridge I should’ve ridden (it was getting janky in June and folks were falling off of it, now it is ok). I also stopped at a log pile and had to turn around and go at it again. 

- duolingo for 30 minutes 

- read some of my book, but not much 

Monday

- tried to lift & my SI joint popped. Hobbled home in pain. Lifting goal put on hold.

- stretched 1x

- I think I slept 11 hours and had some super crazy dreams.

- duolingo for 25 minutes 

Tuesday

- did nothing useful towards my challenge

- another 11 hour sleep. Although both nights I doubt I fell asleep right away, I kept myself from checking the time as I laid awake. I’m accepting this mass sleep as part of the healing process. 

Hip feels better. I can bend to about 135 degrees before it hurts (that doesn’t sound good). I’ve been riding on the road quite a bit for daily errands and haven’t had pain so I think I can still do one more chill mountain bike ride (sans any jumps or anything risky). I do have longer runs to do Thursday & Friday so hopefully I can muster up the energy (and the weather cooperates).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

mountain biking! that always looks like fun to me, but also slightly dangerous and I don't think I'm up for any further danger beyond powerlifting, lol. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7241956

It is so fun, but I would be lying if I said I haven’t smashed my face off stuff & fallen off drops. BUT by the time you’re moving fast enough to really hurt yourself, you love it and it doesn’t matter.

Week 1 Recap:

First I’ll add what I did each day for the second half of the week.

Wednesday:

- Duolingo for 25 minutes 

- Stretched 

- committed to something at Frick so that i’d be forced to ride there, in hopes of doing a mountain bike ride after. It ended up being cold and rainy all day, so I just cut it at helping set up the practice course and leaving. 

Thursday:

- puked for 20 hours, so did nothing relevant to my challenge. 

Friday:

- managed to run my pet care errands, ate my first non-saltine meal (in 36ish hours) around 4pm. Basically caught up on sleep and electrolytes. Did nothing relevant to this challenge. 

Saturday:

- Duolingo 15 minutes

- stretched (very briefly)

Challenge progress:

This week went about as poorly as they can go. 

Lifting: pass due to injury. Intend to go Monday morning, but won’t force myself to try to hit my wendler’s Workout. If it happens, cool, but if there’s any sign of pain or imbalance I will not proceed and will do accessory work. 

Stretching: 4/7. Not good, but Thursday I couldn’t move without evacuating my stomach. Tuesday I was just sore and didn’t want to get down onto the ground. Friday I had no real excuse other than the migraine from not having significant calories in my body. 

Mountain Biking: 1/2. Could’ve ridden some Wednesday, but had been out in the cold rain for hours. Monday, Thursday, and Friday were all out due to hip issues & suspected food poisoning. Today I helped someone moved and it rained all day. This goal is partially dependent on weather, because riding on wet trails will damage them (so rain all day today also means no riding tomorrow, or possibly Monday). 

Duolingo: 100% complete for this week. Barely though- I definitely need to chunk this out in daily sessions because I lose all my lives within half an hour, typically. Don’t judge me. 

Reading: probably should incorporate this as part of a before-bed routine, along with an evening stretch. I did it once... then my week went to shit. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laghail said:

This one speaks truth.

Yesterday a good portion of my time was spent doing the practice sessions to gain lives. I didn’t really know you could do that, so guess I don’t have any excuses. I tend to lose lives because my phone autocorrects something, hits the wrong word, or the microphone on my computer doesn’t pick up what I’m saying. It’s frustrating. 

I messed up and put my midweek update somewhere else, so here’s the full week 2 update:

Lifting:

Monday: squatted the minimum for my Wendler’s cycle with no pain. Someone did approach me after to say that I was pitching forward, which I knew but that meant it was very noticeable. 5x195, which is where I started last year except I hit 10. 

Tuesday: needed 5+ at 90 on bench, hit 6. 

Thursday: needed 5+ at 230 on deadlift, hit 5. 

Friday: needed 5+ at 60 on presses, I think I hit 8. I can’t always count that high.

in general, I’m comparing myself to when I did this last year but I’m going in the mornings (so less fuel) and I weigh less, and am WAY more physically active outside the gym now. Im just going to take each workout by the day.

Stretching:

6/7. I’ve been doing it as part of a winding down routine before bed, but Friday I was bingeing Netflix and around 10 could barely keep my eyes open. What’s happening to me?

Mountain biking:

1/2. I initially thought Tuesday was going to be the only rideable day this week & I was really sore, so I skipped. I woke up this morning and it’s nice, only slightly brisk... so I hurried out to get a ride in before drinking beer tonight. I got one trail in, my bike needs some work, but it counts. 

Duolingo:

Sunday: 35 minutes

Monday: 25 minutes

Wednesday: 25 minutes

Thursday: 45 minutes 

so exceeded my goal. I’ve been doing this in between the gym & work in the morning (except for the night I had a 22oz IPA and plowed through a distracted and tipsy 45 minutes). My roommate moved in on Monday though and I feel really awkward shouting in bad Spanish unless she is gone, so we’ll see if I can keep it up. 

Reading: 

some but not much. I’ve been trying to go to bed really early, so the amount of time I have to wind down depends on when I get my butt into gear. Basically I need to start stretching by 9pm or I’ll run out of time.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, AriatikStarr said:

Friday: needed 5+ at 60 on presses, I think I hit 8. I can’t always count that high.

There are numbers after 5? Who knew?

• Haha 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Week 3:

Lifting:

Squats: hit the minimum required (3x205)

Bench: needed 3x95, got 6

Deadlift: hit the minimum required (3x245)

Press: needed 3x65, got 7

this may be the first cycle in history where my bench & press workouts go better than squats & deadlifts. So far I haven’t fully figured out how to fuel properly for heavy morning workouts. I’m also not going balls out at this point, just kind of getting in the groove of doing a specific plan again. 

stretching / reading before bed:

I stretched every day except for Thursday.

i read every day except Tuesday & Thursday. (I read in a coffee shop today & am now sitting with the book, but I figured i’d Update this first)

I think on Tuesday I was just crazy exhausted but I don’t remember. Thursday was a really bad day and I was scared / stressed / sad and that snowballed pretty quickly into me not wanting to do anything except for crush a pizza and sleep.

Mountain biking:

i went for a very short, one trail ride on Wednesday. The sun / slick leaves discouraged me from doing more, plus I wanted to hit a particular part of the park before sunset and now that happens insanely early. 

On Friday, I decided to try a lunch ride in a different park. The trailhead was covered in leaves and I didn’t find it, and got covered in briers trying. Was so uncomfortable that I just went home. HOWEVER, I did find several tennis balls and made a fluffy doggo in the dog park pretty happy. 

Saturday was trail building, and I rode afterwards. 

Basically I made myself ride and it was below freezing, and that’s the point of this goal - to get used to the cold & ride more consistently. 

Duolingo:

30 minutes on Sunday, Monday, Friday, and today for the full 2 hours. 

week 4 update & challenge recap:

Lifting:

Tuesday: 4x215 on squats. I only needed 1 so this was technically a surplus. 

Wednesday: 7x100 on bench. At a minimum, I haven’t hit this in well over a year. I’ll call it a taco PR.

Thursday: 1x255 on deadlifts. Minimum. Wasn’t feeling awesome. 

Today: 6x70 on OHP. Needed 1. 

Lifting Recap:

technically I did this goal. I’m a little surprised that my squats and deadlifts were not better, but I’m willing to somewhat blame that on the fact that I’m going in the mornings, and am 12 pounds lighter than I was when I last hit PRs. 

Also, I hit 2x65 on overhead squats twice during these four weeks. It’s possible that doing some of this type of work has helped my shoulder stability and that’s why my presses are going well? They’re still pretty far behind though.

stretching / reading:

I read on Sunday, but don’t think I read before bed. Also read today.

i only stretched on Sunday. I have no intent to stretch today.

i definitely did better during this challenge than I normally do, but I think I need to tackle this in a different way. For whatever reason in the last week I’ve been crazy exhausted by 9-9:30. And last week, I was rushing my stretches so that I could go to sleep. I think I probably should try to stretch after my morning workouts, when I’m already warmed up but also awake. 

Duolingo:

half hour Sunday, Monday, and today so I missed this week by half an hour. Again, no idea what happened this week but basically I felt like I ran myself ragged and was super tired, and I couldn’t make myself do much extra. 

Mountain Biking:

0. Took the bike out Tuesday and didn’t make it a block before realizing it needed some work. Have not yet done that work. 

Overall though, I have ridden more in the last 4 weeks than I did all summer... so still kind of a positive. I do have a bigger ride coming up in December that I don’t want to suck at, so I need to fix my bike and ramp it up a bit. 

Wilderness first aid class:

i forgot about this. Instead I booked a flight for Vegas in May to road trip around Arizona & Utah. Maybe next time, since I wouldn’t have had time to do it right now anyway. 

• Like 1

Challenge failure update:

i just threw my bike up to fix the shifting & there is a bent chain link. So even if I had tried to fix it last week to get my rides in, I wouldn’t have been able to because I have to go to the shop & get at least a chain (hopefully not more, I don’t think I rode it enough to trash the rest of the drivetrain).

I’ll extend this goal in my next challenge to include any ride that isn’t commuting.