• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SymphonicDan

Panama SymphonicDanama [level 23]

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

Cool waterfall hike in Guatapé where for most of the walk you're hopping between rocks, balancing on fallen trees, climbing up the riverbanks, and eventually wading through the river over 1 metre deep :D

Great hike!!

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

I should regularly be doing things worth giving up my job for.

It looks that you're doing things worth giving up your job, at least to me. Knowing so many new countries, learning and using a new language, all those hikes and volcanos, and meeting people coming from different places (geographically and in life), looks like quite a lot of adventure.

Nice to see you back!

Cool stuff! What are your UK plans, is it just a temporary pit stop or are you planning on going back?

So glad you came out relatively unscathed in the paragliding accident! That's scary shit yo! :o Paragliding is no joke.

16 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

A bit late reply, sorry! But Slovenia, Nicaragua and Guatemala were the most fun.

No worries, I only just made a semi plan for spending four days in Spain together with friends. :P That leaves 2.5 weeks to plan! At the moment I'm thinking maaaybe Iceland and maybe something else closer by? Not sure I'd have time for central America, but that does sound fun too! What made those destinations special to you? :) 

Whoa, 45 days without any update :o I guess that's a good thing as it shows I've been super busy! Not much in terms of a training log, but here are some NF-relevant highlights from the last few weeks:

• I went to the Amazon to volunteer as a Spanish-English interpreter for a tour company, which meant I got to see a load of cool stuff there much more cheaply than if I'd just done a normal tour. They had dolphins, sloths, piranhas, anteaters, caimans, tarantulas, poison arrow frogs, as so much more! It was also interesting to me as sort of a Spanish exam at the end of more than a year of travelling and working in Spanish-speaking countries
  • I created a website as a hub for the sport of mental calculation, and now I'm adding more articles and information to it, and slowly distributing so people can start to use it. Not really relevant to Nerd Fitness haha, but the website is https://worldmentalcalculation.com/ 
  • I also got up to 65 calendar dates in one minute, and have some more ideas for training that I will do occasionally over the coming months
  • I finally got a better understanding of how the Wim Hof breathing method works (I think I posted it on zenLara's thread? About inducing a short period of hypoxia so that the body produces more red blood cells etc. so you can acclimatize to altitude even at sea level, and get the corresponding benefits to fitness... plus separately some effects with adrenaline/cortisol)
  • I joined the Facebook Wim Hof group but it's mainly people posting selfies of themselves in cold water and asking irrelevant questions about new age remedies. I've got some more understanding and resources from there about the science, and I'll read/consolidate that when I have time. And I'll share, of course :)
  • Last night I was showing another guest in my hostel about the Wim Hof breathing technique, and had a really weird experience. When I demonstrate it, I first time how long we can hold our breath (to compare with the retention times when we do the method) and usually I get about 40-60 seconds. Yesterday without any hyperventilations I got 2:20 :o Then my two retention times after the breathing were 3:45 and 4:30!! Okay, for the last one I did push it a bit, with the whole-body tensing to get past 4:10, but still that's so much longer than normal! My guesses are that I'd been at altitude for the week previously, and that had helped, I'd been scuba diving and maybe my body had been overcompensating for strange breathing situations, and that it was late at night (11pm) so perhaps I was more relaxed.
  • Last week I climbed up to the Páramo de Ocetá, hiking several hours at 3600-4050m, and it was interesting to feel the lack of Oxygen at altitude for the first time in many years. From my new knowledge of breathing I could maybe manage the altitude better (long deep breaths to keep both O2 and CO2 high) but I was still weak and cold with a headache afterwards, and had to take a warm nap in bed. However the next day I felt great with so much energy, so maybe hiking at altitude (a hypoxic environment) has similar effects to the Wim Hof breathing.
  • I'm back in the UK in about 2 weeks, and planning to actually do a NF challenge again :)
  • Like 2

I created a website as a hub for the sport of mental calculation, and now I'm adding more articles and information to it, and slowly distributing so people can start to use it. Not really relevant to Nerd Fitness haha, but the website is https://worldmentalcalculation.com/ 

Looks neat! And now we know your plans for end september :D

esterday without any hyperventilations I got 2:20 :o Then my two retention times after the breathing were 3:45 and 4:30!!

Well, when we had almost forgotten you are a cyborg...

15 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:
  • practise my English
  • do two push-ups

:lol:

Nice to see you had such a good time over there!

• Like 1