Asuka continue through Kanto with her Bulbasaur!

Asuka

After a successful previous chellenge where I wanted to start good habits anew and arm myself better to win against such threats as team chocolate cakes, overindulgence of dim sums with friends, and more generally a "laissez-faire" policy due to stress which led to the gain of almost 10kg, we are moving to a more difficult part of life, how to make these good habits the new normal. How do I learn again that eating everything that I want is NOT the norm? (Or healthy or even sustainable)

So this time Bulbasaur and I move further into the Kanto forest. We have our new weapon Vine Whip, from our previous challenge, and our determination is strong. We are Level 7, so we know we can defeat most weak Pokemons. We know we will meet a lot of strong Pokemons too, so we need to move towards two equally important goals:

1- Get stronger to win against these Pokemons

2- Get used to losing once in a while and not get overly upset about it (no turning off the Nintendo DS!)

(To be honest, I think Goal #2 might be much harder than #1! I had example of that just yesterday.)

The great thing about Pokemons, is that as they level up, they learn new attacks. Our next stop is Poison Powder, a great attack against almost all Pokemons, which infects them with poisons and slowly make theim faint! But this attack is learnt at level 13, which will not happen for a moment. However, we are slowly but steadily going there!

How does this translate into Pokemon SMART goals? Easy! I will steal from my former self! ^_^

1- Spend time in the tall grass - Fight off other Pokemons and get stronger!

2- Go to the Pokemon center regularly - Always be full of energy!

3- Eat good Pokebeans - Make sure my body is fed the right nutrients!

4- Visit all the houses on the way - Pick up skills and hidden objects!

Boring point details which I need to be able to nerdilly follow what I do every day on a 15-min basis ;) 

Spoiler

1- Spend time in the tall grass

I have not been doing any strength training in the past month. This HAS to change. Let's get back on the saddle!

Bulbi and I will aim small, but repeatedly: every day, 10 deadlifts, 10 squats, 10 rows, 10 good mornings. It should take no more than 5 or 7 minutes (I will have to check!) and I can do it with no weight if I am feeling bad that day - no problem! It is all about building habit, so points will go up fast!

- 1 point for doing JUST THAT. 3 additional points per week where I have done it every day (max 10 points per week!), 1 point for doing it at least 4 times, 1.5 for 5 times, 2 for 6 times.

And the usual:

- 1 point for cardio or dance or yoga or stretching for at least 30 minutes

- 2 points for 15 min of strength training beyond the basic exercise

For me to be able to go about my week without feeling blah, I need cardio every workday and once on weekends, plus 2 dance classes per week. So 8 points will be the passing minimum (C).

The max max will be: these 8 plus 10 of basic strength + 2 points from an addiitonal strength training session - 20 points (A++)

Goal to be reached: 4 times the basic strength exercise (5 pts) + min workout (8 pts) - this seems fair and takes into account the tiredness I have been feeling lately.

Grade A - 13 points

2- Go to the Pokemon center regularly

This goal was GREAT last challenge, so I will keep it intact. However, to make sure that I am balanced in my goals I will increase the point reward.

- 2*4=8 point for sleeping 7 hours

- 4*4=16 points for sleeping 8 hours

- 6*4=24 points for sleeping 9 hours

- Minus 2*4=8 point for sleeping less than 6 hours.

I will be aiming for 8*4=32 points which is ridiculously low, but I would rather meet easy goals than fail hard ones. If it is too easy, I will readjust this goal level.

(I am at ZERO points for this week and we are Friday... so let's not increase the point count ^_^

Grade A - 32 points

3- Eat good Pokebeans 

The nutrition goal. This is the long term transformation of diet into good eating habits. I am keeping all of the former rules but changing the points a bit:  

- 1 point for every balanced meal (fruits / vegetables + protein), where I did not overeat

- 1 point for healthy snacks (up to 2 per day)

- 1 point per day on which I tracked my food on that day, 0.5 if I did it more than a day later (late night snacks can be added the next day)

- 2 points per day on which I measured less than 30 WW points, -1 point if I am below 15 points

- 3 points if I am below the weekly average with weekly reserve

A reasonable number of points: 2 balanced meals + 1 snack + tracking per day every day (4 day I will be late) (3*7+1*3+0.5*4=26 points) + 3 days below 30 points (6) for a total of 32 points

I will also create a list of accepted weekly small pleasures, from which I should eat a goal of times a week for no more than 4 WW points (3 additional points) [No I am not expecting this one to be difficult!]

List includes: happy carbs (bread, home-made rice, home-made pasta), chocolate snacks (chocolate, cookies, chocolate milk), fattening heavens (croissant, pain au chocolat, pesto)

I am voluntarily excluding butter on bread since I tend to eat it once and then over and over again. I am fully expecting to reach 3 points per week :D

Grade A - 35 points

4- Visit all the houses on the way

There the hard work on Goal 2 (don't take setbacks too harshly) starts to be more difficult. My exam is in 86 days, and I am not ready.

"But you stil have 87 days to study! It will be okay!" says a small voice in my head. "WHY ARE YOU NOT READY YET! STUDY MORE! STUDY NOW!!" says a much stronger voice.

But I need to pace myself. Work can be hectic, and I need to sleep to be able to learn well. Twice this week I slept for 45 minutes instead of studying vocab in the bus back and I worked much better (and longer!) afterwards. I am also afraid of mock exams. I tend to panic if I don't do well (yes I know I still have 86 days to get better at them, but then strong voice, etc, etc.)

Therefore the point allocation will be:

- 1 point per 15min of study (4 points per hour), on any topic (vocab, grammar, etc.). Time studying in the bus also counts and can be compensated for if I need to sleep by study in the cafeteria

- 1 point for finishing a piece of exam supposed to take 15 minutes, 2 points for the 25 min essay (even if it was completed in less time) (this does not double count with the previous or the next one)

- On that scale a full exam session should be worth 13 points (reading 5 points, listening and writing each 4 points), but this is THE BEST FORM OF PRACTICE EVER, so points will be worth double

- 1 point for watching 1 full episode (or more) of drama - I actually almost completely stopped watching drama, and instead just study. Un-Heal-Thy.

- 1 point for 30 min of classes or time spent with friends speaking Korean - This also applies if we have a meeting or a lunch where only Korean is spoken and I participate actively in the conversation. Otherwise, work is weighting me down, while I spent 8 hours on Monday only listening to Korean and learning plethora of new vocab!

Points expected (seriously, not by SuperWoman or someone who does not need to sleep or has eiditic memory):

- 1 h of study at my desk per work day (at work or ar home) - 4*5=20 points

- 7 times per week, studying 30 min in the bus (and 3 times I will blissfully sleep) - 7*2=14 points

- 1 full exam per week - 26 points

- 4 h of study at my desk per day on weekends (8h - 3h of mock exam = 5h net) - 5*4=20 points

- Watching dramas twice  week - 2 points

- Korean class: 2 hours per week - 4 points

- Friends: 2 hours per week - 4 points

- Conversation while at work: let's aim for 2 or 3 times per week (and split the difference ^_^) - 5 points

Grade A -  95 points

(Since studying is very important right now, I will tolerate the weight difference between all 4 goals. Also, I know that I NEED to exercise and sleep to be able to study, so they will not be disregarded just to study harder)

This lead to a total expected of 165 points per week, or 660 points over 4 weeks. I will start counting this Saturday, so I will have an extra 2 weekend days to be generous since this is a TALL order.

Ok, so, hum, 165 points per week is the revised extimate, down from what I could be doing.

Rewards will be in the form of new mangas and new candles to keep me warm while I study. As long as I meet my point goals, I should always have the candles to support the study.

(Reward will also be when I succeed at my exam in January haha!)

Finally, For Bulbasaur to reach level 13, all I have to do is... lose weight. 1 kg per level. It increases in difficulty each kg and can be as slooooow as levelling up. The ultimate goal is to be healthier, with more muscle than now and less fat, but there is no denying that I should lose weight, so that is easy maths!

Since losing 6 kg in 4 weeks is either impossible, unhealthy or medically induced, this will be the target for the next challenge. For this time, we will aim at 3.5kg (since earlier kg are easier to lose).

Starting weight: 88.5kg - Target for end of challenge: 85kg. The added beauty is that at 85kg, several pieces of clothing which I cannot wear now will fit me again. Happiness ensues. :D

See you all in the forest!

• Like 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

giphy.gif

Go, Bulba, go!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So Bulba and I went through the forest over the weekend, and... realized how dense and filled with wild pokemons it is.

Yes we want to move fast, but we will need to take our time and move slowly. And the goals we have set are just too ambitious. So I will take them down by 20%. Goal for the weeks is now of 132 points.

Over the weekend, I did 1 full exam. I made it to about 136/300 (which means I would receive Level 3). I need 190 points to reach level 5, which is what I want. I still have a long way to go, but I also have a good, solid foundation, which is great.

However, I was drained after taking the 3-hour exam and I needed a long break filled with laughter. Which is why I took a break and just had a fun Sunday afternoon. I stayed up late. And what happened on Monday morning? I did not wake up. My body was exhausted and needed a break. This is proof that I should slow down. So I will do that. Small, incremental changes are winning.

Proof of that? My 3:30-minute strength training routine is AWESOME. Since it is only 3 minutes, I do it without fear (and whatever clothes I am in). And since it feels good, I actually do more exercises (usually biceps curls and upward rows). And they leave me full of endorphins, happiness and pride in myself. I will continue to do them and not put pressure on myself to increase weight or to do more reps over time - I trust I will naturally do so when (if!) it becomes too easy.

Listening to Bulbasaur and taking good care of him is one of the cornerstone of the latest Pokemon games, where you can pet your Pokemons, brush and clean them after battles, and if you do so continuously, they will love you and may strike opponents harder, even avoid attacks. I did not realize how much listening to our own body and mind (versus blindly pushing forward) was important. I will make sure to do so more often.

On to a long and fruitful life with Bulba!

• Like 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

11 hours ago, Asuka said:

Proof of that? My 3:30-minute strength training routine is AWESOME. Since it is only 3 minutes, I do it without fear (and whatever clothes I am in). And since it feels good, I actually do more exercises (usually biceps curls and upward rows). And they leave me full of endorphins, happiness and pride in myself. I will continue to do them and not put pressure on myself to increase weight or to do more reps over time - I trust I will naturally do so when (if!) it becomes too easy.

Listening to Bulbasaur and taking good care of him is one of the cornerstone of the latest Pokemon games, where you can pet your Pokemons, brush and clean them after battles, and if you do so continuously, they will love you and may strike opponents harder, even avoid attacks. I did not realize how much listening to our own body and mind (versus blindly pushing forward) was important. I will make sure to do so more often.

Love this. It's so true. You'll know when it's time to move up and push harder, because your body (not your mind) will tell you. Glad you were able to get some rest, and re-work the challenge to be healthy and happy. Keep up the great work!

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 10/20/2017 at 10:46 PM, raptron said:

giphy.gif

Go, Bulba, go!

Thanks for the support!!

I want to quote this just to have more cuteness on my page ^_^

Image result for bulbasaur gif

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:21 AM, Manarelle said:

Love this. It's so true. You'll know when it's time to move up and push harder, because your body (not your mind) will tell you. Glad you were able to get some rest, and re-work the challenge to be healthy and happy. Keep up the great work!

This is a workout I actually like, because I am not afraid of it.

As I have never been good at sports, and often fail where other succeed due to extra weight / lack of muscle compared to my weight, I often don't feel comfortable exercising, or at least tarting to (then once endorphins are flowing, who cares what other think).

But this 3-min exercise is just me, just okay, and I am 100% sure I can finish it well.

I added 2 reps per exercise and any additional exercise beyond the 4 core ones are absolutely optional, and I love it. 12 reps is just the point now where I feel it well at the end, but I know I can do it. My mind wants to increase the weight (hellooooo hubris!), but my body knows it would hurt too much. Yesterday between the dance, the stairs and the 9km walked over the day, the 12 squats were not easy, but they still felt doable. 100% on that goal so far!

• Like 1

This week was rather bleh all around. Especially because I did not get enough sleep, which made me feel bleh, which means I wanted / needed more care / fun / time for me versus for study, which led to studying later in the night, which led to less sleep. Rince, repeat.

But I am breaking that circle today - I slept in the bus this am, and will do so too this pm, before going to bed early.

This weekend, I will make sure to do my count of studying, and I will feel better.

The positive thing is my 3-min strength workout. I think I am gaining quads muscles, as I am noticing my thighs are changing shape (is it possible? am I dreaming?).

On goals:

1- Spend time in the tall grass - I have to compensate for sleeping in on Monday, so I am behind on a workout, but I am okay with it. I also walk so much due to the location of my job, so it is a positive point (also good for my quads and for the mini! I am averaging 8km per day on workdays).

2- Go to the Pokemon center regularly - Nope, nein, non, 아니요. Need to do a MUCH better job. But I am stuggling with job-related anxiety and don't relax properly.

3- Eat good Pokebeans - Mixed bag. I have picked up healthier habits, which means I eat more veggies, fruits, proteins. But I still overeat in quantity and yesterday I was a PIG. I need to write down what I eat and count my points right when I eat so that I make the right choices. When I tally at the end of the day, then I realize "oops, I have eaten enough for 2 days". Overall I am slooooooly losing weight though, so I am not implementing drastic measures.

4- Visit all the houses on the way - Studying has been spotty, but the good thing about my (semi-failed) mock exam is that I see what I am missing. For instance, I need to spend more time using previously-learnt grammar points and less time studying new ones. While writting my essay, I realized I had studied the way to say something, but I actually did NOT remember HOW to use it or how the word sounded... My vocab is also lacking, but better really know and use 3000 words than having seen and not know 5000. All in moderatin - this is goal 2. Being fine with 80%, especially if 80% gives you the result you want with less efforts.

Work is not improving, which is starting to depress me. Even dance class was incredibly hard this week. I need an easy win on something (anything!), which will make me feel a bit better.

Thankfully, my mom and my sister will come visit next week and spend a week for my birthday, so happy times ahead!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 1:14 AM, Asuka said:

Work is not improving, which is starting to depress me. Even dance class was incredibly hard this week. I need an easy win on something (anything!), which will make me feel a bit better.

Thankfully, my mom and my sister will come visit next week and spend a week for my birthday, so happy times ahead!

I know that feeling, when things just... don't seem to be improving. The easy win set-up is probably a good idea; give you something to point at and say "I did that!" to bolster yourself while you wait to see long-term results. Happy early birthday, and I hope the next week goes more smoothly. You've got this!

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Norgaard said:

Nice with the visit from your sis and mom, im sure that will recharge you and your bulbasaur so you are ready to battle again!

I am sure! My sister and I play Pokemon together so I will probably slow down studying a bit to spend time with her! ^_^ 

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I know that feeling, when things just... don't seem to be improving. The easy win set-up is probably a good idea; give you something to point at and say "I did that!" to bolster yourself while you wait to see long-term results. Happy early birthday, and I hope the next week goes more smoothly. You've got this!

I tried to improve on my exam... and failed hahah. I am currently at 20/50 on practice runs and I need at least 35 to pass the level I want. So I have started listening to these texts in the bus to and from work. Needless to say, people reading 1- to 5-minutes blurbs about everything from immigration to how to cook rice is not the most interesting. But it is AMAZINGLY EASY to fall asleep listening to it!

Also I can't stop thinking about your comment about wearing well-fitted clothes. I almost bought a new (and better fitted to me!) sweater on Sunday. Next time.

For easy wins, I tried cleaning small bits of my house, ordering as I was going along, which always calms my mind. I hate cleaning and organizing, but love the feeling once it is done. I still need to clean out my office supplies and cute paper products and to find a better way to organize them. Because I looooooooove post-its, especially cute ones (you know shaped like cherry blossom petals or teddy bear heads) and I have a million of them. But I digress.

So Sunday I cleaned out a little, which helped. But this morning, the feeling remained. So I decided to take my hard-earned money and to go to a concert with one of my friends. It was a difficult decision, since the tickets are way overpriced (Korean scalpers are no jokers. *sigh*), but I realized that Life is for the Living. So rather than watch life as it passes by, I will live a little. This helped lifting my mood tremendously.

(To give you a comparison point, as of this morning I am at 87.6kg, in line with expectations and below 88 kg. AND my fat % is below my muscle % - and I think new muscles are appearing in some places! But it did not even make me that happy. This is how blah I am.)

Weekly results to follow shortly! (I need to calc my time spent studying.)

• Like 1

Life IS for the living, so I am glad you got to get to the concert and have a good time in an otherwise blah week. And birthday celebrations will be great as well! I think this was a hard week for everyone, so definitely keep looking for those small victories to keep you chugging on along. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

13 hours ago, Norgaard said:

Nice, Pokemon on gameboy or cards on pokemon go? :)

We play on Gameboy. It was the only game our parents let us play when we were younger, so we have been following the series...

I am in Moon right now. Although I have paused to study more.

I love video games but I am not good at them, so Pokemon, with its 3 years + rating is perfect for me!

9 hours ago, raptron said:

Life IS for the living, so I am glad you got to get to the concert and have a good time in an otherwise blah week. And birthday celebrations will be great as well! I think this was a hard week for everyone, so definitely keep looking for those small victories to keep you chugging on along. 

Definitely!!

I am actually going to 2 concerts now hahaha. Can I help it if my two favorite groups have concerts 2 weeks apart?

My favorite small victory is the 3-min barbell routine. I do it no matter what. I do it because I think about who I was when all I did was watch TV on the couch and I shudder. I do it because I love the feeling of strength. Also because it is an easy routine ^_^

And since it was a hard week for several people, I will try and find other NF threads where people are struggling and encourage them!

• Like 2

So work has actually been interesting this week (or for the past 2 days). Which made me realize: 1/ how much I complain, 2/ how much I don't work hard, and 3/ how much I am not very much trying to make it better. Since it was a short time assignment, I was like "this is not worth it" after 2 weeks and stopped trying. But there are positive points and positive things to learn. Soooooo, I am pondering again.

My body is slowly getting used to the commute from hell and the 8 to 9 km per day I have to walk (because pretty much everything is 1km away when you can't drive). Walking to the bus is 1k, walking from the bus is 1km, breakfast cafeteria is 1km away, we often take walks after lunch (2km!), and then to and from the bus again at night. That's 7 just right there, so any thing I have to do, like grocery shopping or going dancing adds a couple of km to the tally... But I am growing *muscles* so it is getting easier, as long as I sleep enough.

Also, I think I found a way to lose weight well. I have been at 87.X for 2 days in a row and it has been pretty low (87.3, 87.1), so I am pretty sure I got over the 88kg plateau. The secret? Not eat too much at night. Since I move so much during the day, even if I eat cake for breakfast or lunch (not too much cake, but birthdays have to be celebrated!!) and have a light dinner, with an overall calorie count below 1600kcal, then I will likely lose weight. If I don't eat for breakfast and eat the same calories but later, I wake up with them saying "Helloooooo!" from my rear end. Obviously, it is great that I have found a good way to lose weight, but it will definitely involve changing my habits.

That plus I realized that Bulba andI are not getting enpough protein given the walks and the strength training we are doing. So I have started a new base routine, which can change of course, but serves as a guideline:

- breakfast from the cafeteria with a source of protein (either 2 egg whites or chicken), then hot chocolate for happiness and warmth (yes... at one point I will switch to tea)

- no snacks since we eat lunch at 1130am and lunch usually involving carbs

- snack in the afternoon of 1 glass of milk (1%), fruits and a protein bar. Sometimes I cave in and have cookies or other sweets, in which case I try to swap the milk and/or the protein bar to stay within caloric limits

- light, light dinner, such as meat without carbs but with plenty of veggies, soup (vegetables or chicken meat), a protein shake or even just a glass of (chocolate) milk if I ma not hungry. The key is to finish on proteins (not on cake, sadly)

Weekends are still hard, with so many good things ready to eat, but I am slowly building habits such as switching hot chocolate for tea, buying individual size bread or none at all, and skipping meals if I am not hungry and ate late breakfast or earlier in the afternoon.

Workout routine is still awesome! I pushed to 14 reps yesterday, and worked through them. I am pondering increasing weights and decreasing upper body reps (I use the same weight for upper and lower body so that it is easy and I can keep the bar loaded at all times, but obvi it is not enough for my lower body and starting to be difficult for the upper part). So still playing around with it, but creates so much feel good energy in only 3-minute, I never want to stop. I feel silly because it is only 3 minutes, but I can technically say "I lift weights every day". I am toying with the idea of doing it mornings and nights (right now only at night).

Lotso f improvements this week, and it is Friday! I am so much happier than last week it is not even comparable ^_^ .

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 8:35 PM, Asuka said:

I feel silly because it is only 3 minutes, but I can technically say "I lift weights every day".

That sounds to me like you lift weights every day. :) I get that the context isn't the same though. Still, congrats on sticking to it! And on figuring out some of your body's habits and needs. Sounds like you're still making good progress, and a better attitude will help with that, too. Keep it up!

On 31/10/2017 at 1:58 AM, Asuka said:

We play on Gameboy. It was the only game our parents let us play when we were younger, so we have been following the series...

I am in Moon right now. Although I have paused to study more.

I love video games but I am not good at them, so Pokemon, with its 3 years + rating is perfect for me!

Nice, I only played red/blue/green/yellow, so I never got to learn the new pokemons so now im very confused with pokemon go etc :D

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

It's definitely a hard change to start incorporating more protein but I think that is a good plan to tackling it! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Norgaard said:

Nice, I only played red/blue/green/yellow, so I never got to learn the new pokemons so now im very confused with pokemon go etc :D

Oh I am DEFINITELY COMPLETELY lost with most Pokemons. They keep adding new ones, and they don't look anything like their type, so not all green pokemon are grass-types... But they made the game super easy, so if you have seen the Pokemon before in the game, basically all the stats appear when you are battling again and you know what type of Pokemon will be most effective and what attack too. So not a problem!

14 hours ago, raptron said:

It's definitely a hard change to start incorporating more protein but I think that is a good plan to tackling it! 

I love proteins, so it is okay. I don't think I can ever reach 1g per kg, because that would be 2 protein bars + 2 protein shakes everyday and there is only so much of that stuff I can stomach...

But in the quest of trying to eat less cake, I need to make choices. If sugar, carbs and fats are bad for you, then protein has to be our savior, right? Thankfully I find Quest bars quite palatable, so I bought a pack of them and try to swap them for the snacks my team eats. Funnily, the bars look good, so some colleagues have asked me about them and enjoyed them. The downside of course is that instead of a free snack (our team has a coffee and snack budget), I am spending money on bars. But being healthy is definitely worth $4 per day.

What are your favorite sources of protein?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asuka said:

Oh I am DEFINITELY COMPLETELY lost with most Pokemons. They keep adding new ones, and they don't look anything like their type, so not all green pokemon are grass-types... But they made the game super easy, so if you have seen the Pokemon before in the game, basically all the stats appear when you are battling again and you know what type of Pokemon will be most effective and what attack too. So not a problem!

yeah I see how that can help!

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

I've also found protein to be the savior, just because it fills you up. I'm partial to hard-boiled egg (whites) and nut butters... still in search of a decent bar that isn't boring or icky. Alas. 

• Like 1

I don't have any dietary restrictions so most of my protein comes from chicken, turkey, and tuna fish. Otherwise, cottage cheese, yogurt, and cheese. I also eat lots of beans and lentils. I used to supplement a lot with protein powders and bars, but have found to easily hit 100-140g protein/day from whole food instead. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, Manarelle said:

I've also found protein to be the savior, just because it fills you up. I'm partial to hard-boiled egg (whites) and nut butters... still in search of a decent bar that isn't boring or icky. Alas. 

Hard boiled eggs are also my go-to protein source.

That and lean turkey meat and shrimp, because they are so low in calories.

But after a week of two egg whites a day, I am usually sick of it...

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:38 AM, raptron said:

I don't have any dietary restrictions so most of my protein comes from chicken, turkey, and tuna fish. Otherwise, cottage cheese, yogurt, and cheese. I also eat lots of beans and lentils. I used to supplement a lot with protein powders and bars, but have found to easily hit 100-140g protein/day from whole food instead. 

I should definitely follow your example and try to add more dairy to my meals. I am partial to milk and not a fan of cheese, but cottage cheese is awesome.

I am not quite getting there with beans and lentils... I should up them too.

I am amazed that you can get to 100g of protein per day with normal food (as opposed to bars and protein shakes). I willt ry to measure more closely my intake for a few days and see how I fare.

Thank you all for your suggestions!! I will definitely try them out!

So I survived week 2 and 3 of the challenge. My family was with me and stayed longer than I thought, which was a blessing in all possible ways, including making me realize how great it is when they are not here with me. The last 36 hours after their departure was reset time for me, since I needed some rest.

Quick update, which will be graded lightly since I noted NOTHING - but still managed to maintain my weight, which is another blessing.

1- Spend time in the tall grass - Fight off other Pokemons and get stronger!

I continued with biking 5 days a week and going to dance class. But then I hurt my neck and lifting weights was super painful so I had to stop doing it for a while. I am still trying but slowly, only expercises where I don't put the bar on my shoulders, since I hurt my trapezoids most.

I will say A-, since I continued walking, but dropped exercising on weekend (except for this wekeend, where I did stretching and dance practice)

2- Go to the Pokemon center regularly - Always be full of energy!

This is where I failed the most. According to my tracking app, I slep an average of 6h15 min per day. Given that I sleep 9 hours on weekends, this means I was averaging 5h the rest of the week. I really felt I was running on fumes, so for this week, I am manking a priority to sleep more.

D.

3- Eat good Pokebeans - Make sure my body is fed the right nutrients!

We went out a lot and we had cake for my birthday, but I really tried to remain reasonable overall. I think I gained some weight on cake days, but also lost some on other days where I was able to focus on protein and not carb-load.

A-, since I have not lost, but not gained.

Since the goal of the challenge is 85 kg and I am 2.2kg away, I will allow myself to continue the challenge during break week, and will grade myself after that week. This should be doable with good discipline and fruits.

I have to say that upping of the exercise and maintaining some happy snacking (e.g., a cookie, a piece of brownie) makes my life infinitely more enjoyable than less exercise and less food. But the amount of exercise needed to compensate is so high I cannot go much higher without having to change jobs ^_^

4- Visit all the houses on the way - Pick up skills and hidden objects!

There too, I completely dropped the ball. Except for work time and a 2 hour class on Saturday, I dit ZERO studying. This is scandalous. I will have to pick up the pace. But I need to put sleep first, otherwise it will be useless. I will therefore put in place a new rule: NO STUDYING AFTER 10pm. But all the time done before that counts double.

Do most of the hours come before 10pm? Yes, but so do most obligations. I think I need a kick in the butt and a carot to keep me going.

F.

I think these 2 weeks also helped a lot with perspective. Yes I have my exam in 62 days. Yes, I wish I passed with flying colors. If I don't? Then I will take it again. Spending time with my family was definitely a priority. Also, Thor Ragnarok is awesome. So I saw it twice. Definitely a better use of my time. If only for Get Help.

Overall for these 2 weeks: C, barely passing grade.

But today is another week, full or new resolutions. And the bananas on my desk are proof of it.

bananas.JPG.30c25a1412f648400cba33f91add3375.JPG

• Like 2