traaki knows what is necessary is possible.

traaki

At the end of last challenge, @Manarelle pointed out that if maintenance is a challenge, it's a challenge! So not many changes here: 

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. 

I know I've been moaning about how this is going to be hard with my sister here and today just proved it. Tuesday, when she was sleeping, I felt a-ok about working out, even after she woke up. Today she was up before me and I was like, 'OMG EXCUSESSSSS'.  WHY AM I SO WEIRD ABOUT WORKING OUT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE.  I tried to let myself feel the full measure of disappointment that I missed this, so I can remember that and have more motivation not to miss again.

In any case, I got over this with my partner and I'll get over it with her.  I am going to share my workout schedule with her so she knows so I have even a bit more accountability and maybe even a buddy sometimes. 

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. 

Yup, same as before. I'm trying to sort out what my ideal get-out-of-bed time is. I think it's 7:10, for Reasons that are opaque to me.  Today I messed up on these, which contributed to my "omg I am going to skip my workout" issue this morning.  

Quest #3: Go for a 10 minute walk four days a week. 

I am groot. I am groot. I am groot. 

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. 

The kickstarter ended, it was an amazing success, and...now I have fucktons of work to do! I want to get this done ASAP and keep up the momentum here. 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. 

This is what I wanted for my quest, but it also felt like piling stuff on since I know I'm going to be really focused on the KS reward production.  I feel like my mental state is a bit unsteady at the moment; I feel really full of fear and anxiety and questions and hopes and dreams and self-doubt. The only thing that reliably keeps me feeling good about life (other than sleep and exercise and getting outdoors, see above!) is writing, whether it's creative or journaling.  So I will get bonus points every day I do 10 minutes of writing. 

Goals check-in for end of 2017:

NEED ACTIVE SUPPORT:

WRITING: Finish my poetry kickstarter.

DANCE: Finish my dance kickstarter reward.

CAREER: Finish the sports card project I've been putting off.

AUTO-PILOT/SUPPORTED:

HEALTH: Do 104 workouts this year. (79/104, behind by 3)

FINANCE: Establish $5k of planned savings. ($1650/$5000)

LIFESTYLE/ENVIRONMENT: Read 16 books. (14/16)

RELATIONSHIPS/SOCIETY: Finish She Should Run incubator.

• Like 2

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Looks like a pretty comprehensive challenge! Good luck! 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 10/21/2017 at 3:43 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Happy challenge! Maintaining good habits is definitely a challenge, especially when they're freshly formed. :) 

What's the kickstarter project? Either way congrats on the success!

Thanks for the good challenge wishes! 

The kickstarter was to produce a poetry book I wrote over the summer:

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

You know how sometimes everything just feels hard all the time for no discernible reason? That's me this week and last. I almost got hit by a car on my bike yesterday (probably the closest I've ever come, knock on all the woods).  I'm getting sleep and exercising and eating vegetables and drinking water and not overscheduling myself--so all the usual suspects are out.  I can't stay focused at work, plus I'm fighting off a lot of (unproductive! unpleasant!) fear/imposter syndrome. I'm grumpy a lot with my partner. I feel dazed. ANYWAY I don't know what it is but I wanna shake it off asap.

giphy.gif

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. - (1/3, 1 with cool down)

I did a workout yesterday and it was great! I am beginning to feel less awkward about working out with my sister around and I am getting these done even though our house is in that crazy box-filled post-move state.  

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. (In bed 2/4, up 4/4)

Okay, this is going....not great, but not bad. My wake-up times are still stellar.  Bed times are hard. I love talking to both my sister & my partner, which means I spend a lot more of my time talking to people.  My partner is a bit more shy so we talk a lot in bed...which means we stay up after lights out. But I have faith that we'll all adjust and get things worked out.  

Quest #3: Go for a 10 minute walk four days a week. (2/4)

It has been SO HOT here. Like 103 degrees hot. I haven't been walking. But I went today and will go tomorrow and one day this weekend. I am groot. I am tougher than the weather.

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. (1/3) 

I've only done one day but it was almost 2 hours of work.  Soooo I feel okay about this. 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. (1)

• Like 2

Working theory: Too much caffeine.  I haven't been pounding caffeine lately but I had a nice cup of chamomile today after my first cup of coffee and I cracked a problem I've been struggling with.  It's as anec-data-y as it gets but worth paying attention to. 

• Like 2

A new gremlin arises from the mist: 

My partner has decided to host a game night on weekdays every couple weeks. It's fun and I'm excited about it, but it threw my sleep schedule way off course...which meant I missed my bedtime, missed my wakeup time, and missed my workout. 

I should be able to adjust the workout so it's not the day after game night.   Bedtime may just need to be exempt on game nights with renewed efforts to make sure I hit it every other night so I don't slide back to night owl.

I *will* say my wakeup time method is working really well for me. I used to lay in bed, snooze a bunch, read articles, surf instagram, yadda yadda yadda. Now I have one 10 minute snooze period and one ten minute snooze/play on phone period, and then I'm up.  It still feels a little violent to hop out of bed so fast but I'm getting used to it.  It's like pulling the bandaid off: Just get it done quick. 

• Like 1

Glad you were able to identify some of the gremlins plaguing you, but it sounds like you've got some good plans for combatting them. I finally caved last year and got a treadmill at home because it is so difficult for me to go out when it's too hot/cold/rainy/humid/buggy/everything. Hope the weather cools off for you, and good luck with the coming week, you've got this!

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

End of Week 1 Update:

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. - (2/3, 1 with cool down)

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. (In bed 2/5, up 5/5)

Quest #3: Go for a 10 minute walk four days a week. (5/5)

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. (2/5) 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. (3)

• Like 1

Middle of Week 2 Update:

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. - (1/3, 1 with cool down)

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. (In bed 2/4, up 1/4)

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. (3/4) 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. (1)

• Like 1

Y'all, I'm struggling this challenge. 

It helps to do these reviews because it's like, "oh, hey, look at you BEING SO BAD AT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP".  It helps me feel a little bit saner because sleep is the #1 thing to keep my life functioning. 

I really like to stay busy and I like to stay busy with a lot of fairly asocial activities (writing! coding! reading!) and our household is definitely still adjusting. I feel like I need to go to war to defend every last priority, and even so I STILL lose a lot of the time.  I'm working on it, my partner is supportive & I know my sister is too--we just need to figure out how to communicate with each other.  But in the mean time I'm really feeling stressed out. 

ON TOP OF ALL THIS

I decided to do NaNo this year, which is always so much fun and also totally crazy and I really don't like failing myself so I'm not sure how this is going to go. 

ON TOP OF THAT TERRIBLE IDEA

I also am releasing the novel on github because that's a totally normal thing to do, right? https://github.com/sparklingrobots/nano2017

But, I have to say about this adding-more-stress-to-the-stress-pile strategy:  The feeling that I want to do NaNo is the same feeling I get whenever I listen to what I truly want to do.  The voice that speaks up for what I truly want to do is very very quiet because all of my over-achiever-y, be-nice-to-others voices are loud and are mean to it.  But, I know I need to write this book this month. It will help fix whatever is wrong in my life.  I know it. Somehow. 

ANYWAY sorry for a dreary update. It's been dreary around here. But even with all the stress and the worry, I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun and am doing things I've wanted to do for a while but never got around to, like going to a haunted house for Halloween, that kind of thing. I just need more sleep and more writing/working time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, traaki said:

It helps to do these reviews because it's like, "oh, hey, look at you BEING SO BAD AT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP".  It helps me feel a little bit saner because sleep is the #1 thing to keep my life functioning. 

True dat!

I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun and am doing things I've wanted to do for a while but never got around to

Yay! Occasionally this is worth sacrificing sleep for. :) 

• Like 1
On 11/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, traaki said:

But, I have to say about this adding-more-stress-to-the-stress-pile strategy:  The feeling that I want to do NaNo is the same feeling I get whenever I listen to what I truly want to do.  The voice that speaks up for what I truly want to do is very very quiet because all of my over-achiever-y, be-nice-to-others voices are loud and are mean to it.  But, I know I need to write this book this month. It will help fix whatever is wrong in my life.  I know it. Somehow. 

Going back to the NF basics - have you identified that "whatever is wrong in my life" and set realistic and measurable goals around it? Perhaps the writing is a way for your brain to get that all sorted out on paper so you can acknowledge it and address it. Just a thought.

Also, there's nothing wrong with adding a new thing that you want to do; it might be worth, though, comparing it to the other things you already do and seeing which is more important to you - the new thing, or one of the old things - and then dropping one to keep the same demands on your time, instead of adding to those demands and wondering why you're more stressed later. Is there something you can drop for the month of November, while you're writing? 

• Like 2

Hi! following back. I can only second the good advice about assessing the challenge as it's going, and adjust! 

On 11/5/2017 at 12:53 PM, Manarelle said:

Is there something you can drop for the month of November, while you're writing? 

^that :)

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

End of Week 2 Update:

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. - (3/3, 3 with cool down)

Yessssss! The other nice bit of news is my sister joined me on Sunday. Turns out I just have to say "Traaki's Gym is open at 7:45 on Tuesday for class!" and then she works out with me. :D

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. (In bed 4/5, up 2/5)

Quest #3: Go for a 10 minute walk four days a week. (3/4)

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. (4/5) 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. (5)

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, Manarelle said:

Going back to the NF basics - have you identified that "whatever is wrong in my life" and set realistic and measurable goals around it? Perhaps the writing is a way for your brain to get that all sorted out on paper so you can acknowledge it and address it. Just a thought.

Also, there's nothing wrong with adding a new thing that you want to do; it might be worth, though, comparing it to the other things you already do and seeing which is more important to you - the new thing, or one of the old things - and then dropping one to keep the same demands on your time, instead of adding to those demands and wondering why you're more stressed later. Is there something you can drop for the month of November, while you're writing? 

This comment made something click for me. The *reason* that NaNo is working for me (because indeed it is--I feel much less overwhelmed this week than I did last time I checked in) is because it forced me to start paring down my schedule.  I've been feeling like I don't have time for myself or my creative projects....so, I added a creative project to my plate that has outside accountability and that I'm willing to defend. Now all of a sudden things are dropping off my plate (sorry, can't come to your dumb thing, writing!) and I feel much better.   I wish I were better about confidently defending my time when it's *not* something like NaNo going on, but I'll take this as an example of how to get the time I need and hopefully will be better able to adapt next time. 

TBH--the whole "whatever is wrong with my life" seems to be more and more around finding the time to do what makes me happy (and lately that's writing). I've gotten better and better at this, letting go of old obligations and preventing new, not-awesome ones from entering my schedule, but, well, there's always a next level, right? 

Thanks for the insights, Manarelle!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Hi! following back. I can only second the good advice about assessing the challenge as it's going, and adjust! 

^that :)

Hi hi! Welcome!! 

This comment made something click for me. The *reason* that NaNo is working for me (because indeed it is--I feel much less overwhelmed this week than I did last time I checked in) is because it forced me to start paring down my schedule.  I've been feeling like I don't have time for myself or my creative projects....so, I added a creative project to my plate that has outside accountability and that I'm willing to defend. Now all of a sudden things are dropping off my plate (sorry, can't come to your dumb thing, writing!) and I feel much better.   I wish I were better about confidently defending my time when it's *not* something like NaNo going on, but I'll take this as an example of how to get the time I need and hopefully will be better able to adapt next time. 

TBH--the whole "whatever is wrong with my life" seems to be more and more around finding the time to do what makes me happy (and lately that's writing). I've gotten better and better at this, letting go of old obligations and preventing new, not-awesome ones from entering my schedule, but, well, there's always a next level, right? 

Thanks for the insights, Manarelle!!

Sometimes you just need a push to reorient your thinking. Congrats on the insight and on prioritizing what makes you happy! Here's to a much more relaxed and appreciable November!

End of week 3 update: 

Friday thru Sunday I was at a wargaming convention! It was so great! It was also completely exhausting.  We played two 12+ hour games, one Friday & one Saturday, and Sunday we played some shorter stuff before our 3 hr drive home. 

Quest #1: Three workouts per week, at least two with full cool down. - (2/3, 1 with cool down)

On Friday I made myself do ten pushups and ten squats. It hardly counts as a workout, but the fact that I showed up for it at *all* was a huge win, so I'm counting it here.  Sunday I was barely alive so no workouts. 

Quest #2: Lights out by 10:15 pm every night plus get out of bed by 7:25 am. (In bed 3/5, up 3/5)

I don't really count this on the weekends. I wish I'd gotten to bed on time last night but when I travel there's always a lot to catch up on and yesterday was no exception. Tonight I'm hellbent on making it into bed on time.

There's really no reason for this to be so low--I just get into the groove at work and don't want to get up.  Need to refocus.

Quest #4: 20 mins on kickstarter, five days a week. (4/5) 

I am really just trying to get at least one task done per day, and this has felt pretty do-able. 

BONUS: 10 minutes of writing a day. (5)

I did some writing after one of the games, and did some writing *during* one of the games (turns can get pretty long), so I'm proud of that. I feel like I've been in another universe so it's challenging to refocus and get this going again, but tonight I've promised myself an hour of writing time. It won't catch me up but I should be able to get about ~2k words. 

• Like 2

For this coming week (last week of the challenge aaaaaahhhhhh!!) I have two challenges: 

1) I'm travelling again.

2) I'm playing a super long game again.  

3) Thanksgiving is next week eeeeeek. 

4) Also I can't count challenges. 

I'm planning to stay as focused as I can on my challenge goals since they are generally aimed at keeping me happy, healthy, and productive. I need to take a look at my schedule and see if I can move Sunday's workout as I'll be flying that day.  

In related news: The holidays are coming and I'm still in denial. :( 

• Like 2