Avalanche: Barrett's Resistance

Lilith_

image.jpeg.9cd4d3d4aa4a3107945ad637976cc2d5.jpeg

For this challenge, I'm going to work towards proactively reclaiming certain areas of my life from anxiety. A little bit of background, I have severe anxiety which has been escalating despite my Buddhist attitude. I've begun taking medication for it which helps with the symptoms, but I like address root causes. I still plan to focus on fitness a bit, but the next boss battle in my life is getting control of the major areas.

Quests:

1. Destroy the Reactor - get work under control

2. Cleanup the Slums - get the house cleaned up and under control

3. Learn to Use Materia - stay on top of homework and new skill development

4. Prepare for Battle - keep up with nutrition and fitness

Since these quests aren't apparently actionable, the breakdown of each is as follows (with pictures and fun stuff ^_^ )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Destroy the Reactor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image.jpeg.d4e8f3f35901b6050f5c09d86047d5ea.jpeg

Work has been overwhelming me which exacerbates my anxiety and leaves me feeling completed drained when I get home. I discovered this issue when trying to avoid switching productivity systems unnecessarily. This time, I'm going to carve out space to breath in my day by creating minimum requirements which allow me to relax and be proactive after their completion. I'm an IT worker. Below is my initial planned which is subject to change.

• Process 30 email. I call my inbox The Hydra. My plan is to alternate between reading my starred emails, the newest emails, and the oldest emails. The things in the middle will eventually get touched by one of those protocols.
  • Spend 1 hour reviewing my tasks. This can include tagging them in a way that makes it more manageable, responding to some that are owed a response, breaking them down into smaller tasks, or simply reminding myself what all I have to do. Actions I decide to take will go to the calendar.
  • Take 5 resolution actions per day. This can include examining an issue, troubleshooting it, ordering equipment for it, or whatever. This needs to include some high priority issues and some of the oldest issues.
  • Take 2 project actions per day. This can include research, communication, reporting, or whatever. If no project is in my cross hairs, then a control project will be decided upon that will make my job easier.

More can certainly be done, but after completing these tasks each day, I'm free to do absolutely anything I want whether that means cleaning up my office, playing with a new tech utility that might help, or otherwise. The parameter for my success will be the execution of my plan (including any modifications I've made to my plan) on a daily basis save for emergencies or scheduled events which prevents the execution of the plan. On top of a daily goal, the end of period goal will be to have a perfected plan that works every day, and to have a subjectively improved working experience. My backup protocol for this, should something get in my way or should I shutdown due to anxiety, is to complete 10 work actions or 8 work pomodoros.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Cleanup the slums - Part 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image result for ff7 slums barrett

Because I'm so drained from anxiety at the end of the day, I typically spend my time at home recovering and often neglecting housework which in turn causes me its own brand of stress. By the end of this challenge, I want to have cleaned the house top to bottom while also maintaining the regular operational chores. Below is my action plan:

• Cleanup one sectors each week for a total of 4 sectors. I've labeled it part 1 because a cleanup job of this caliber requires more time than I can afford in one challenge period for all eight sectors. My sectors include: (1 Living Room, 2 Bedroom, 3 Kitchen, 4 Bathroom, 5 Office, 6 Daughter's Room, 7 Basement, 8 Garage and Yard).
  • Weekly, I'll complete laundry once per week and complete the dishes as needed. (I drink two smoothies a day and have only four smoothie cups, so it'll probably be every other day).

It's totally fine if I decide to get ahead, but I don't reckon I will. My parameters for success in part 1 will be that four sectors are cleaned. This include any scrubbing, vacuuming, furniture dusting, or window cleaning that could be executed in that room. That's why I'm only focusing on one sector per week. The parameter for my weekly success is that laundry is washed and put away each week, and that I do not run out of dishes (smoothie cups) during the week. My backup plan if the will is weak or time is limiting is to just keep clothes cleaned and the dishes functional, and for the sector of the week to be at least decluttered and cleaned at its fundamental level (e.g. bathroom has surfaces scrubbed, or living room has everything put away).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Learn to Use Materia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image.jpeg.52ee1bd53d1ef5db88cc98cad59e629c.jpeg 

Since reading Level Up Your Life and joining nerd fitness, I have my interest fingers in a lot of interest pies, and with each comes a time commitment. I'm also going back to school which requires time all on its own. My intention in this challenge is to create a routine structure that makes accomplishing all of my desires possible by dividing my time in a fair manner. My plan is as follows as is likewise subject to change:

• Complete 2 pomodoros a night on my interests (which may include researching smoothie recipes while watching TV with the family).

My parameters for success will be to have completed those 2 pomodoros each night. My backup plan is to spent at least 1 pomodoro or to recover that pomodoro on a different day. Ultimately, I want to have a perfect routine built by the end of this challenge for my interests. For instance, every other Thursday night I spend playing Magic the Gathering with a new, local community. Every other Sunday I spar with a buddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Prepare for Battle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image result for ff7 barret limit

I do still want to make nutrition and fitness a priority since it gives me the strength I need to complete my daily tasks. Rather than pushing the bar this week, I just want to maintain it. My battle plan is:

• Workout 4 times a week.
  • Each week must include both strength and cardio
  • Maintain my calorie goal daily via logging Fitbit app

The parameters for success will be the execution of this weekly goal. An S-class ranking here would be to exercise every day even a little bit. My backup plan for exercise will be to get in one strength and one cardio workout per week. My backup plan for nutrition will be to eat a known, calorie-safe food plan for the day instead of logging. At the end of the challenge, I'd like to have a strong workout routine defined.

===========================================

It's a lot to take on, but I'm going to find an app that can accommodate routines to help push me along. The idea though is to keep things stupidly simple so I can give myself permission to just sit on my butt and veg out guilt free. I'm going to renew my accountability system where I have $100 in an envelope with each goal listed, and if I fail my goal, my girlfriend gets to take $25 out of it. It's been one of the top 3 things keeping me on track. Above this envelope is a stupidly simple list of my objectives with checkboxes for the progress bars.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

"I chooseth this fate of mine own free will."
- Persona 3

Working on the setup, I've got lots of stuff in the calendar now. I feel like I should add more to it, but I'm refraining because I know I'm prone to getting burnt out with overload. I've got my sheet done too for tracking my challenge commitments.

Related image 

• Like 1

- Persona 3

That's some A+ Spongebob use if I've ever seen it!

You've certainly thought this through!  How do you do your sheet for tracking challenge commitments, if I may ask?  I've been trying to develop a method of tracking goals, and have so far not managed one that I'm really happy with.

Also I love your Materia goal - I may steal that one for future challenges... :)  Best of luck!  

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

2 hours ago, CakeBanisher said:

That's some A+ Spongebob use if I've ever seen it!

You've certainly thought this through!  How do you do your sheet for tracking challenge commitments, if I may ask?  I've been trying to develop a method of tracking goals, and have so far not managed one that I'm really happy with.

Also I love your Materia goal - I may steal that one for future challenges... :)  Best of luck!  

Thanks! For my goal, I just create a quick 5-minute Google Sheet and print it off. This time around it just has all 28 days on the left side, the targets I'm trying to hit at the top, then off to the right I list my frequencies so it's visible if I'm about to fall short. Plus with money on it, it really works.

• Like 1

- Persona 3

15 minutes ago, Leejus said:

Thanks! For my goal, I just create a quick 5-minute Google Sheet and print it off. This time around it just has all 28 days on the left side, the targets I'm trying to hit at the top, then off to the right I list my frequencies so it's visible if I'm about to fall short. Plus with money on it, it really works.

That's a smart way to do it.  Short, sweet, and effective.  Thanks! :)

• Thanks 1

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Unfortunately, I'm going to need to restructure this challenge. I don't have the details yet, but I do know my anxiety is getting worse, and my anxious mind has been using the details of my challenge as ammunition. I feel like I'm cheating, but I'm going to have to reset this challenge period.

• Like 3

- Persona 3

31 minutes ago, Leejus said:

Unfortunately, I'm going to need to restructure this challenge. I don't have the details yet, but I do know my anxiety is getting worse, and my anxious mind has been using the details of my challenge as ammunition. I feel like I'm cheating, but I'm going to have to reset this challenge period.

Being smart with your brain is never cheating. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Leejus said:

I'm looking forward to the reset, I dig your format since I'm a huge FF7 fan myself.  Best of luck to you

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

Image result for barret wallace plan

Task 1 - So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to journal regularly; at least once per day.

Task 2 - I'm going to either read some Buddhist literature, meditate, listen to a lecture, or listen to a hypnosis at least once per day.

Task 3 - I'm going to build mission statements for all areas of my life so I have something of a targeting system for my efforts. This will be due by the end of the challenge.

Task 4 - Plan routines for working out, eating to include some missing  nutrients, working once I get to work,  and being productive while also enjoying my time at home.

It appears I planned on taking on Shinra without a good enough plan. This will help me to make a plan, and I hope to have some blueprints for taking them down next time.

image.jpeg.c024d53a423c785c27ee4c72a2362cfd.jpeg

• Like 3

- Persona 3

On 2017-11-02 at 8:03 AM, Leejus said:

Today's the day I take down work anxiety. I have a Limit Break (sudden burst of energy, motivation, rage, determination, and clarity), and I'm going to kill it. Watch out - here comes Barret.

image.jpeg.0b995daf6955647f362a71cf378be87e.jpeg

Aw yeah. Kill it, man!

• Thanks 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

On 10/29/2017 at 11:19 AM, Leejus said:

Image result for barret wallace plan

Task 1 - So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to journal regularly; at least once per day.

Task 2 - I'm going to either read some Buddhist literature, meditate, listen to a lecture, or listen to a hypnosis at least once per day.

Task 3 - I'm going to build mission statements for all areas of my life so I have something of a targeting system for my efforts. This will be due by the end of the challenge.

Task 4 - Plan routines for working out, eating to include some missing  nutrients, working once I get to work,  and being productive while also enjoying my time at home.

It appears I planned on taking on Shinra without a good enough plan. This will help me to make a plan, and I hope to have some blueprints for taking them down next time.

image.jpeg.c024d53a423c785c27ee4c72a2362cfd.jpeg

This is great. 

I've definitely had to rework some challenges because they just didn't work the way I thought they would (or the way I wanted them to). And I've had moments where my anxiety derails all of my carefully laid out plans by turning them against me (and then creates a cycle of anxiety). Doing these challenges is definitely a learning experience, and it's better to change it when you need to rather than stick it out with something that just isn't working. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:03 AM, Leejus said:

Today's the day I take down work anxiety. I have a Limit Break (sudden burst of energy, motivation, rage, determination, and clarity), and I'm going to kill it. Watch out - here comes Barret.

image.jpeg.0b995daf6955647f362a71cf378be87e.jpeg

Go for it!

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I totally killed it by the way. I've got everything freshly organized into a system I'm feeling comfortable with at the moment. It usually changes which is why I resisted this during my first challenge, but I think both extremes were not right for me. Now when I'm at work, I feel like I've got everything under control which has taken a load of anxiety off. Now I just need to keep my review process tidy so things stay that way. (I subscribe to the GTD methodology for the most part).

This past weekend, I also build my mission statement including core values in order of priority and long term goals. Phew; that took some deep digging, but I nailed it. I'm still tweaking my system, especially at home, to be able to get a reasonable amount done. Tweaking and Reviewing are both important for me to keep things going. I'm ready to re-explore my nutrition plan today as well as my workout plan. Things are looking up for me in a big way. 

Image result for barret ff7 ps1

• Like 1

- Persona 3

As the weekend passed, I got busy and forgot to perform a daily activity designed to lessen my anxiety and/or focus myself. I told my GF to take 20 dollars out of the envelope. Ooof. It was rough, but it's the only way I'm going to learn. :P Reflecting back, I see I wasted at least 10 hours, and I could have spent 5 minutes on such an activity no problem, so I wasn't that busy. Otherwise, I'm keeping up with everything I should be. I'm experimenting with routines, and once I get more results, I may be able to finalize that quest in the near future. My anxiety is lower overall due to various factors, so I might be able to jump back on the type of challenges I find more exciting next period. Woot! I can feel the EXP pouring in. ^_^

• Like 2

- Persona 3

This past week was successful, and every day feels like it's getting more successful. I'm feeling like it might be time for a new kind of challenge even though this one hasn't ended yet.

image.jpeg.f7e4ba66e2e6973bb9a5181cd55fd104.jpeg

I've reached a point my quests were designed to take me to, and I feel like I'd be spinning my wheels if I continued. Brainstorming at this point. These goblins outside of town aren't going to level me any more.

image.png.5214c557433fd47401521c7de0e0167b.png

I think I understand what I need to do to make more fitting goals. I need a line to cross, not just a habit to keep up. I'm learning.

• Like 2

- Persona 3

59 minutes ago, Leejus said:

This past week was successful, and every day feels like it's getting more successful. I'm feeling like it might be time for a new kind of challenge even though this one hasn't ended yet.

I've reached a point my quests were designed to take me to, and I feel like I'd be spinning my wheels if I continued. Brainstorming at this point. These goblins outside of town aren't going to level me any more.

I think I understand what I need to do to make more fitting goals. I need a line to cross, not just a habit to keep up. I'm learning.

That's really great that this challenge taught you about what type of goals are helpful for you. Well done Lee, that takes some insight.

• Like 2
On 11/13/2017 at 10:54 AM, Leejus said:

On 11/13/2017 at 11:01 AM, Leejus said:

I feel guilty ducking out early, but I'd really like to get into planning the next challenge right now and maybe start early.

The four week challenge period is just a framework. If you've accomplished your goals and are ready to move on, do it! If you want to call this challenge "complete" and spend the next couple of days brainstorming for next time, go ahead and do that. If you want to start your new challenge thread now, and you know what you'll be doing already, you can make a new topic here and I'll be happy to move it over for you once the next challenge thread opens up. (Although you will probably have to remind me.) 

• Thanks 1