Machete's Hierarchy of Needs: Physiology, Part 5

Machete

Wandering Monk Chronicles: A Boy Dons the Assassins' Cloak

So I've done two Assassin challenges and for both of them I just dropped-off at the end, forgetting to close out. I'm realizing I was trying to do way too many things. This time I will be modelling this more after my first tour of the guild, which seems relatively more successful than my two other ones.

A Game of Faces

latest?cb=20130118203827

The main goal is building a solid foundation to stand on by the end of the year. It took four previous challenges to get the first three aspects up to an acceptable level (which hopefully I will be able to continue). Now I'm tackling shelter, which should also cover warmth (or more appropriately temperature regulation, because Florida). Because I have sex totally covered.

535723_10151252945816965_30846129_n.jpg?

Effective assassining involves nobody knowing you're an Assassin, so I'll be working on hiding in plain sight by becoming as normal as possible. The challenge will be to develop a weekly/monthly chore list for the household to keep it running smoothly (because I'm on a wash-the-dishes-when-there's-no-more-space-to-put-mugs-in-the-sink protocol). Suggestions will be very welcome, because I am a child and have no idea how adults run their households. I'm thinking time blocking and a Bullet Journal might help with this. We'll see.

(Re)Building the Assassin Body

giphy.gif

My diet has been whatever the past few months. I might be due for a hard cut, because I haven't done one this year. Currently sitting at 139.8 lbs. I'm looking to go into "normal" BMI at 135 lbs. My shipment of protein powder just arrived and I'm going to attempt the [insane] Velocity Diet, because I can't train hard anyway as my shoulder is still in recovery. Besides, being lighter as an Assassin doesn't hurt.

Shoulder is up for re-eval on Wednesday, and we'll see what's appropriate training for that.

Valar Morghulis.

latest?cb=20130111004331

===========================================================================================================================================

Chore List:

Laundry - Wednesday and Saturday morning

Dishes - Wednesday and Saturday morning

Grocery and cooking once a week

Taking out the dogs once a day

Trash once a week

Junk mail once a week

Velocity Diet shakes:

SUN Day 1

MON Day 2 ✔ + PWO

TUE Day 3

WED Day 4

THU Day 5

FRI Day 6  

SAT Day 7

SUN Day 8

MON Day 9

TUE Day 10

WED Day 11

THU Day 12

FRI Day 13  

SAT Day 14

SUN Day 15  

MON Day 16  

TUE Day 17  

WED Day 18  

THU Day 19  

FRI Day 20  

SAT Day 21  

SUN Day 22  

MON Day 23  

TUE Day 24  

WED Day 25  

THU Day 26  

FRI Day 27  

SAT Day 28

Foundation Elements

Front Lever: 24

Straddle Planche: 9

Side Lever: 15

Manna: 17

Pistol: 13

HB Press: 15

Rope Climb: 22

Handstand: 14

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Machete said:

Suggestions will be very welcome, because I am a child and have no idea how adults run their households. I'm thinking time blocking and a Bullet Journal might help with this. We'll see.

The thing that helped me most was to simply have it be part of some process. For example, I just have a habit now of when I get home from work, I check to see if any laundry needs to get thrown in and wash any dishes in the sink. Takes no more than 10 minutes most of the time and it gets stuff done. And the habit has been ingrained over time. It's part of the "get-home" ritual for me. 

I will add that I was encouraged to adopt this behavior when I moved in with my wife, but after she explained to me how frustrating it was to see me sitting on the coach watching TV when there was laundry and dishes that needed to be done, I understood and made the changes needed. And honestly, I still had time to watch TV, just had to get a few things done first.

• Like 3

Daily Log ]

5 hours ago, Rooks said:

The thing that helped me most was to simply have it be part of some process. For example, I just have a habit now of when I get home from work, I check to see if any laundry needs to get thrown in and wash any dishes in the sink. Takes no more than 10 minutes most of the time and it gets stuff done. And the habit has been ingrained over time. It's part of the "get-home" ritual for me. 

I will add that I was encouraged to adopt this behavior when I moved in with my wife, but after she explained to me how frustrating it was to see me sitting on the coach watching TV when there was laundry and dishes that needed to be done, I understood and made the changes needed. And honestly, I still had time to watch TV, just had to get a few things done first.

Laundry and Dishes. Got it.

Unfortunately I'm not the one watching TV around here. Haha

There are also 48 tabs open on my Firefox, so I'd say eliminating those would be a good Side Quest.

• Like 3

Sweet, Machete is here. Following!

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Cooking for the week, because I wasted all Sunday doing who knows what. I’m in my second day of Velocity, and it’s surprisingly doable. It was the first day that was pretty rough (until I had some fried chicken and sweet potatoes). I haven’t tried training or working though. We’ll see how it goes tonight. 

19 hours ago, Rooks said:

Hopefully it goes better than when I tried to do Layne Norton's PH3 Trainer while doing the Whole 30. That was a mistake.

tenor.gif

====================================================================================================

Still hanging on, but there are some rough patches. I actually got #triggered by the sound of someone munching on carrots, and I've been obsessing over kettle-cooked potato chips ever since.

Current tab count is 40. Progress.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Machete said:

tenor.gif

I mean even had a been on a nutrition plan that was tailored to a powerlifting program, I doubt I would have succeeded in that. But throw in lowering carb intake with a program like Whole 30 and it was just a recipe for disaster. I was just so trashed by the sheer amount of volume that program calls for I couldn't do it with anywhere near his recommended percentage. 

Day 1 of the program was:

Squats - 2 sets of 9 @ 72.5%.

Bench - 2 sets of 9 @ 72.5%.

Deadlift - 2 sets of 7 @ 72.5%. 

I remember the benching failing on around Rep 5 of the 2nd set and thinking that might be a problem. Day 2 was a Bodybuilding day, followed by Day3 being a heavy leg day. Yeah... I quit after 3 days. I just couldn't do it. Maybe had I been in a full "just eat" mode could I have recovered enough, but who knows. 

• Like 1

Daily Log ]

On 10/21/2017 at 11:11 AM, Machete said:

Effective assassining involves nobody knowing you're an Assassin, so I'll be working on hiding in plain sight by becoming as normal as possible. The challenge will be to develop a weekly/monthly chore list for the household to keep it running smoothly (because I'm on a wash-the-dishes-when-there's-no-more-space-to-put-mugs-in-the-sink protocol). Suggestions will be very welcome, because I am a child and have no idea how adults run their households. I'm thinking time blocking and a Bullet Journal might help with this. We'll see.

I feel your adulting pain! My only suggestion would be do small bits of cleaning here and there at first. Gets me in the right mindset. 

If you want, I created an accountability group for this challenge around Bullet Journals! Join us if you want, HERE. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

^^^ Agreed.

Hope you get good news at the shoulder appointment. That diet sounds nutters, but you do you, boo. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 10/24/2017 at 5:31 PM, Rooks said:

I mean even had a been on a nutrition plan that was tailored to a powerlifting program, I doubt I would have succeeded in that. But throw in lowering carb intake with a program like Whole 30 and it was just a recipe for disaster. I was just so trashed by the sheer amount of volume that program calls for I couldn't do it with anywhere near his recommended percentage. 

Day 1 of the program was:

Squats - 2 sets of 9 @ 72.5%.

Bench - 2 sets of 9 @ 72.5%.

Deadlift - 2 sets of 7 @ 72.5%. 

I remember the benching failing on around Rep 5 of the 2nd set and thinking that might be a problem. Day 2 was a Bodybuilding day, followed by Day3 being a heavy leg day. Yeah... I quit after 3 days. I just couldn't do it. Maybe had I been in a full "just eat" mode could I have recovered enough, but who knows. 

Reminds me when I was trying to get down to 60kg while following the SFG 2 Prep Program.

tenor.gif

I shall keep that in mind when I choose to barbell again. I'm pretty much following your idea and committing to GB for this year. Stay on target.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:08 PM, Jonesy said:

I feel your adulting pain! My only suggestion would be do small bits of cleaning here and there at first. Gets me in the right mindset. 

If you want, I created an accountability group for this challenge around Bullet Journals! Join us if you want, HERE. :) 

Checking it out. Still a bit confused; I'll probably need to allot some time to sit down and read through the links.

Which reminds me, I was able to do the two Wednesday chores, so yay.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Adulting is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm recalling my parents at this age and I remember them as actual adults who had their shit together. (I actually asked my mom recently, and she said she was winging it the whole time and really has no idea how we made it through. Welp.)

On 10/26/2017 at 11:06 AM, raptron said:

^^^ Agreed.

Hope you get good news at the shoulder appointment. That diet sounds nutters, but you do you, boo. 

Doc cleared me for activity; even said I can go back to Jiu-jitsu, just don't expect to be back at 100% obviously. I'm taking some time to rehab it for about two weeks; a physical therapist I know is helping me out so I don't try to be a hero [like I usually do] and jump straight into one-armed pull-ups.

Yes, the diet makes me a bit uncomfortable, but when I track the calories it ends up being around just 200 cal under my BMR and that makes it better. I'm thinking of it as a 4-week long summoning spell.

22788678_1046974345445398_66309595709562

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Machete said:

Checking it out. Still a bit confused; I'll probably need to allot some time to sit down and read through the links.

Which reminds me, I was able to do the two Wednesday chores, so yay.

Awesome job adulting.

If you need any bujo help, let me know. I'm always open to questions. :) 

5 hours ago, Machete said:

22788678_1046974345445398_66309595709562

This looks like one of my romance novels...

• Like 1

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

20 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Awesome job adulting.

If you need any bujo help, let me know. I'm always open to questions. :) 

This looks like one of my romance novels...

With Fabio probably. I don't know, I only read Twilight and that was just a hand with an apple. #TeamJacob4Life

==========================================================================================

WEEKEND UPDATE

Mostly good on the diet. Missed one meal, which I made up for. Already had my solid meal for lunch, so it's liquid for the next 20 or so hours.

Late for the dishes, so I have to do those. Junk mail and trash as well. Grocery and cooking tomorrow.

Shoulder is cleared for activity, but there's still pain, probably from the inactivity. I'm going to run through a deload cycle of all the GB elements starting from F1, so I don't jump straight back into Straddle Front Levers and Half HS Presses. HRV just gave me the green light today.

• Like 4

#TeamJacob4Life

#TeamVolturi

Late for the dishes, so I have to do those. Junk mail and trash as well. Grocery and cooking tomorrow.

Lots of adulting to do this weekend. :) You got this!

Shoulder is cleared for activity, but there's still pain, probably from the inactivity

How long have you had to hold off?

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

On 10/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, Jonesy said:

#TeamVolturi

Lots of adulting to do this weekend. :) You got this!

How long have you had to hold off?

Had to Google what Volturi was. I did not get past the first book.

Almost 2 months out, just working one-arm stuff. My left side got pretty strong.

=============================================================================

Overall a good week. Laundry and dishes done. Forgot to address the trash and the mail, so I'll have to move that to tomorrow with the cooking.

I also listed how many elements in GB Foundation I would have to test to get to where I previously was. But I'll start that Monday, because what kind of psychopath starts on Sunday.

WEEK 2 TASKS

Grocery

Cook

Junk Mail

Trash

Laundry 1

Laundry 2

Dishes 1

Dishes 2

Dogs 1

Dogs 2

Dogs 3

Dogs 4

Dogs 5

Dogs 6

Dogs 7

• Like 2

Went back to BJJ. Got my shoulder cranked and I'm furious, but what's done is done. My skin condition is acting-up, and I probably need to Headspace a bit.

Hit up the 7 Foundation and 1 Handstand elements; steps 1 on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. Shoulder flexion/extension seem to be issues, but stability appears to be building.

Diet is still gong well, and I'm getting rather used to it. Food is prepped all week, but I'm running low on protein.

fb7123e136e9e75b8af0a2984422287f5c2222b3

Still good on the diet. Got a stuffed crust pizza for my kid yesterday, and that was torture, but I was able to stop myself.

Hit up 3rd steps on everything GB, and looking to hit 4th today. Boy, does my shoulder feel unstable.

A few more tasks to do this week. Dog is giving me trouble, barking too much at other dogs and acting like a bitch. This is a problem, because she looks like she might have some Pit in her, which is already a breed subject to a lot of discrimination, and Florida I guess has a one-bite rule. It's frustratingly difficult to have to take care of and protect your minority family without making Uncle Toms out of them.

• Like 1

Procrastinated on the trash and the junk mail. Need to get that taken care of. Missed a shake at the halfway point last night and decided to eat out because it had been a rather long day. Bad idea. Paid with cash, neglected to mention to the waitress that I put an extra $20 for her to break for her tip. One President Jackson was misplaced and we had to deal with that for half an hour. I honestly don't think she pocketed it. Manager offered a voucher. Felt bad for our waitress, since she had to be written up, and the remaining cash for the tip was abysmal. These things occupy my mind while I neglect [probably] important stuff. Executive function fail.

Going to work on my shoulder a bit today, along with some GB. Maybe some swings. I might try to come in to Jiu-jitsu tomorrow, depending on how it feels.

Down to 135.2 lbs. We'll see how far I can go.

WEEK 3 TASKS

Haircut

Grocery

Cook

Junk Mail

Trash

Laundry 1

Laundry 2

Dishes 1

Dishes 2

Dogs Sun

Dogs Mon

Dogs Tue

Dogs Wed

Dogs Thu

Dogs Fri

Dogs Sat

so maybe take this with a grain of salt because I'm a full 2 weeks to pop in to your challenge and say hi but the only way I can keep my regular schedule AND ALSO ADULT is to do morning chores. so, like 5-10 minutes before I leave for work making sure the dishes are ok and sometimes running a load of laundry (possible b/c I have laundry in my house, of course). 

also I write down when I do major cleaning tasks (ok minor cleaning tasks too because I need to reinforcement and self-praise) on a calendar so I can tell how long it's been since I've done something like clean the tub or change the sheets or make the fish tank nice again. it reinforces how frequently maybe I OUGHT to do things. Still working on squeezing in a big cleaning task or two every weekend.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Got a bit of light jiu-jitsu down. Still not even close to 100%. Finished my half-volume GB Foundation 1, and I'll be moving to Foundation 2 next week, while keeping the dowel work from the Handstand 1 prep until my shoulder feels stable enough. I was able to manage S&S yesterday with 24kg on the Swings and 16kg on the TGU, so it's getting there.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:09 AM, karinajean said:

so maybe take this with a grain of salt because I'm a full 2 weeks to pop in to your challenge and say hi but the only way I can keep my regular schedule AND ALSO ADULT is to do morning chores. so, like 5-10 minutes before I leave for work making sure the dishes are ok and sometimes running a load of laundry (possible b/c I have laundry in my house, of course). 

also I write down when I do major cleaning tasks (ok minor cleaning tasks too because I need to reinforcement and self-praise) on a calendar so I can tell how long it's been since I've done something like clean the tub or change the sheets or make the fish tank nice again. it reinforces how frequently maybe I OUGHT to do things. Still working on squeezing in a big cleaning task or two every weekend.

I work nights, so I have to do it before work anyway. I write the daily small things on a whiteboard and I've been knocking those out, but I've been procrastinating on 3 big things. Still working on developing a solid chore list, perhaps for a few more challenges. Now that you mention it, bathroom cleaning should be in here.

• Like 1

Pretty successful week. Only missed one shake, which was no big deal. Diet is getting harder, probably because I'm watching cooking shows and looking at Instagram.

Also showed up to Jiu-jitsu a few times without any incident so that's good.

Home stretch here, folks.

WEEK 4 TASKS

Blog Post

Bathroom

Living Room

Grocery

Cook

Junk Mail

Trash

Laundry 1

Laundry 2

Dishes 1

Dishes 2

Dogs Sun

Dogs Mon

Dogs Tue

Dogs Wed

Dogs Thu

Dogs Fri

Dogs Sat

Tab Count: 34

• Like 2

Moving on along. Things are getting stressful, in a rather good way, but my body doesn't seem to know better and my skin is flaring up and I'm feeling moody.

Skipped the final protein shake. Mostly because I don't really feel that hungry, and I'm running out of powder. Haven't trained much this week, but I've been rehabbing the shoulder. I have my Korean Dips back after some warmup sets. I'd totally been neglecting Straddle Planche, and I just realized that.

Had one of our members, who is a photographer, take some pictures at the gym and I never realized how big of a difference a non-iPhone camera makes (and also someone who knows how to actually take a shot).

I'm [barely] able to keep up with chores, though I was able to finally change my turn signal without completely destroying my car, which is a win that I've needed.

• Like 1

AAR:

Shelter: Got a good start, and some semblance of routine is starting to show. I will continue this next challenge until a system is developed.

Velocity Diet: Missed a few shakes, but I stuck with the diet for the most part. I'm down to 132 lbs.

Rehab: I finished F1 except Straddle Planche, but I think I'll go ahead and pick up where I started.

All in all, a success.

• Like 2

GOOD WORKKKK. Do you get to eat real food now? :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1