DING DING DING! That's the sound of Round 2 starting!

Dyego

So! I'm a tad late to this party, but I'm starting anyway. I took a month off the challenges last month, and didn't exactly do real bad or real good in the mean time. Here's my goals for the coming challenge! I'm keeping most of the goals from my last one, but modifying them as needed. As I learned in my last challenge, doing things daily doesn't work for me. Doing things weekly is usually better. We'll see how that adjustment works for me!

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing 30 pounds. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 265)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #1:

Only eat ONE sugary snack SERVING five times a week

My battle with sugar addiction continues! However, I have noticed that it is not as bad as it used to be. I used to be able to polish off an entire family-size bag of M&Ms in one sitting, now I can't imagine eating that much sugar in one go. By choosing to limit myself to SERVINGS I now have a specific goal, because before it was too nebulous: what counts as one sugary snack? Now I know.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Find the sugary snacks I like the most and focus on those, while forgoing those "I want sugar, so I'll just grab anything in the aisle whether I like it or not."

Exercise 3 times a week for five minutes each

I still hate exercising. The climbing skyscrapers was better, but still boring. I'm going to keep at that, but not make it my sole exercise agenda. I am going to seek out new life forms...erm...new forms of exercising and give them a shot. It's finally starting to get below the 100s regularly here in Phoenix, so it's a good time to examine outdoor exercise. I'm actually looking forward to walking again.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Try out new forms of exercise. I want to try out 4 new types of exercise by the end of this challenge.

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard (Or: Writing and publishing my next novel by the end of 2017)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #2:

Write 12,500 words a week (1,667 a day)

NaNoWriMo is happening during this 4 week challenge!! That means it's time to really buckle down and write! I've failed miserably my last three times, but this time I'm going to make it. I know I am. Writing daily is bad for me, so I'm breaking it down into a weekly challenge.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Use "Cold Turkey" software to block out distractions on my computer until 100 words are written. Get pumped up about my novel!

aaaaand introducing a new Epic Quest!

Epic Quest #3: Making Room For More Games!  (Or: organizing and cleaning my house)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #2:

Clean / Organize 15 minutes a week

I almost fell into the trap of trying to make myself clean/organize for 2 minutes every day. EVERY DAY DOESN'T WORK FOR ME! I had to shout at myself. So instead, it's 15 minutes a week. I can handle that. Pretty much every room around here needs some organizing and cleaning. We in Phoenix don't do Spring Cleaning, we do Fall/Winter cleaning, because otherwise it's too dang hot! Rooms that need organizing: Craft Room, Weight Room, Loft, Office, Garage, Bedroom, My Bathroom, Her Bathroom. That's a lot of rooms! I'll break it down and say that THIS challenge, I will clean and organize: Craft Room and Loft.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Sketch out a room plan for how things should look. Make an "Organize My LEGO" list and get cracking on that.

Well, that's my goals for the next four weeks! I'm excited!

• Like 4

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

To get things started off in a right direction, today I researched my local hiking options. I love hiking...when it's not a billion-and-one degrees out. Well guess what! It's that time of year when it's NOT a billion-and-one! Almost, but not quite. So this winter I'm going to hike. In that vein, here is my repository of local (and some non-local-but-I-love-the-area) hiking maps.

Maricopa Park Maps

Sedona Hiking Maps List #1

Sedona Hiking Maps List #2

Now I have even less excuses. I've already bought an Annual Red Rock Pass for hiking in Sedona, now I might even buy an annual Maricopa Parks Pass so that I have even more incentive to get out there and make good use of my money. (I've been reading more Nerd Fitness Academy articles. It's been helping!)

I believe my first hike outing will be to the mountains right next door, the white tanks, so here's my:

Map to the White Tank Mountains Trails

Now for me to get out there and hike!

• Like 2

--

--

Hey Dyego, welcome back! You've got a great set of goals this challenge, and that's a great tip regarding "servings" rather than "snacks." Way to be actionable! 

All of those hiking trails look fantastic. I should hike more. I... I will hike more. Yeah!! 

Keep it up and let me know if you need anything! I'm around :)

@Wobbegong!! I was glad to see you appointed as a Guild Leader, I think you deserve the spot. Thanks for checking out my challenge and offering help! :D Right now, it's mostly just easing back into exercise as my foot is still injured from moving issues. Otherwise, here's a progress report!

Yesterday, 10/22, was still mostly a "planning" day for my challenge since I got to the party late. However, I did still make some progress! This is Today's Progress-So-Far report.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing 30 pounds. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 265)

Progress: 01/05 servings eaten this week

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: Discovered Caramels I like. Might stick to these.

Progress: Climbed skyscrapers for 3 minutes, since my foot still hurts, and spend 2 minutes stretching. 01/03 exercise accomplished!

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: I think I'm going to try some Yoga for my stretching next time. Found some beginner poses that I think I can actually accomplish. Looking forward to it!

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard (Or: Writing and publishing my next novel by the end of 2017)

Progress: It's not NaNoWriMo juuust yet, so I spent today on another goal of mine: web development. Spend 2 hours learning CSS and JQuery. yay!

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: I am PUMPED for my upcoming novel! Accomplished!

Epic Quest #3: Making Room For More Games!  (Or: organizing and cleaning my house)

Craft Room Progress: 2 new bookshelves installed, with appropriate items placed within. Unnecessary desk removed, other desk moved. Excellent. Loft Progress: 2 new shelves installed. LEGO sets removed to safe location for proper categorizing, and categorizing started. Excellent.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: Made a sketchup of what the craft room should look like when we're all done, including measurements, and made my LEGO category list!

• Thanks 1

--

--

37 minutes ago, Dyego said:

@Wobbegong!! I was glad to see you appointed as a Guild Leader, I think you deserve the spot. Thanks for checking out my challenge and offering help! :D Right now, it's mostly just easing back into exercise as my foot is still injured from moving issues.

Thanks! I'm happy to be able to help out with the guild (and happier still that we finally got some GLs). Sorry to hear about your foot! Definitely don't push it too hard, you wouldn't want to re-injure it. Aside from that, though, it looks like your challenge is off to a great start! 

So, Tuesdays are date day, but my Wednesday did not go so well. I was also trying some intermittent fasting, just to see how things went, and boy did it not go well. I'm now at 06/05 of my sugary servings for the week and rethinking tomorrow's meals to be very, very important. I think I'll start off with some egg drop soup and then have some tuna for lunch.

On the plus side, I did some weight training today. Haven't done it in awhile, so I just eased back into it. 1set x 10 reps x 30lbs dumbbell lift each arm for biceps, 1set x 10reps x 185lbs lat pulldown. Did pretty good! Biceps are feeling weak, but lat pulldown is still a strong workout for me.

--

--

First week status update!

Only eat ONE sugary snack SERVING five times a week: Failed. I got up to 8 servings, which is one more than I would normally if I'd chosen just 1 a day. This was also partially because I thought I'd try intermittent fasting, so that won't happen again. I need to get my blood sugar regulation under control before I start messing  around with that. On the plus side, I didn't gain any weight! (or lose any)

Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Find the sugary snacks I like the most and focus on those, while forgoing those "I want sugar, so I'll just grab anything in the aisle whether I like it or not." --I still think Butterfingers are my go-to...but they aren't nearly filling enough :(

Exercise 3 times a week for five minutes each: Partially Failed. I exercised two times for 2 1/2 minutes each. Better than nothing, but progress needs to be made!

Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Try out new forms of exercise. I want to try out 4 new types of exercise by the end of this challenge. -- I tried out weightlifting again. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Also tried out a bit of yoga stretching. Felt good, but does't really feel like it's strenuous enough to help with my weight gain. I may just tag it on at the end of my other exercises as a cool-down.

Write 12,500 words a week (1,667 a day): Side Success. It's not NaNoWriMo yet, so I haven't started this, but I did write 661 words on a different story this week, and my early goal of making a website for my books I TOTALLY GOT! Boom! Hand-coded and artworked, baby! Quite proud of that.

Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Use "Cold Turkey" software to block out distractions on my computer until 100 words are written. Get pumped up about my novel! --Practiced with Cold Turkey. A good idea, but I need to see if it's going to close out my music, which will be a big no-no. Excited and pumped for my novel to come soon, though!!

Clean / Organize 15 minutes a week: SUCCESS! Got my LEGO categories done and have half of them moved into their new homes. Moved and organized craft room, it's about 25% done. Did a lot this week on that! Woot!!

Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Sketch out a room plan for how things should look. Make an "Organize My LEGO" list and get cracking on that. -- Already done with this. Yeah, who's the man??

Last week: two successes, two failures, not a bad start. I've got some momentum going, and as we all know, that's the kicker right there. This coming week will have the challenge of NaNoWriMo, which I have been preparing for, but will also have an added challenge of additional job responsibility and different hours, so I'm preparing to not let that kick me out of my new habits. Bring it on!

--

--

10/30 update: Let's hear it for momentum!

Only eat ONE sugary snack SERVING five times a week: 1/5 so far! Went the entire day without a sugary snack, and I know I can make it the rest of the day without one. I don't need one. yesterday my sugary serving was a Mojito as opposed to candy. Not sure if that's better or worse :D 

Exercise 3 times a week for five minutes each: BOOM! I worked out for ten minutes today. 2sets x 10reps x 105lbs benchpress, 2sets x 10reps x 185lbs lat pulldown, and then finished it off with some "yoga." Between sets, I also practiced with my foam sword. Almost cool enough to go running around with it outdoors, woot!

Write 12,500 words a week (1,667 a day): It's against the "rules" of NaNoWriMo, but to be honest, I'm not doing NaNoWriMo for the bragging rights. I'm doing it to get my story done. So today I started NaNoWriMo early and wrote 3,496 words. It's the single best writing day I've had in a looong time. Absolutely, thoroughly pumped. Also, right now I'm going through my playlists and refining them for my current moods in music and writing. Almost done with that!

Clean / Organize 15 minutes a week:  no updates today. Moving LEGO is dusty work, and I need to be at my prime tomorrow. So that has to wait.

--

--

Alright! An update that's a little late in the building, but here it is none-the-less. Let's see how I've been doing, eh?

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing 30 pounds. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 263)

Progress: 00/05 servings eaten this week. My progress on this one has been slow. I'm thinking I need to go cold turkey again soon; it's hard, but it has worked in the past. I've eaten more than my 5 servings a week, but I have also been binging less. So there is progress here! I've lost 2 pounds by lowering my overall eating.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: Eh, this one is hard. I like all sugar. Heck, yesterday I ate just a packet of Sugar in the Raw for my serving. It was yummy.

Progress: My foot is doing better, but I haven't been climbing skyscrapers. I've been exploring other forms of exercise. It's cooler outside, so started walking. I also made a lightsaber out of pvc pipe, tape, and foam, so going to start swordfighting with my wife. I have actually been exercising more than three times a week. It hasn't been steady, or in any kind of rhythm, but it has been more exercise.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: Been exploring all kinds of exercise! I know I'm going to love running around swinging a lightsaber at stuff.

Progress: My novel is at 20,552 words. I'm right where I should be, perhaps a little behind, but doing MUCH better than last year. I can't believe how much I've been writing, even with all the crazy stuff that's happened in life. Also: shameless self-promotion warning, one of my books just got #1 Best Seller on Amazon and I am so incredibly happy.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: So excited about writing again. It's been awhile since I've had that feeling.

Craft Room Progress: Moved another bookshelf in there and organized some tables. About half-way done, I'd say. Need to do more work on that this week. Loft Progress: The loft is DONE, yo! (I don't know why I just said yo. I can't really pull it off.) mark this goal as 100% complete! Woot!

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: no need for this associated goal any more. It be done.

Going into the last week, I can see where I've done really good (everything but food intake) and where I still need to work (yeah, the food intake.) So it's pretty much the same as always. I really need to figure out what to do about my nutrition. I hate planning meals, I hate shopping, and when it's hot out like this I hate cooking. I don't really have the money to spend on a meal delivery service (like, literally don't have money, not the "i just don't want to spend it" kind of thing) so I'm a bit perplexed on where to go with that.

• Like 1

--

--

I was able to conquer my sugar cravings by transitioning to eating fatty snacks instead. I stock up on string cheese and nuts and when I want a piece of chocolate I eat something else instead. That way, I'm still indulging myself, just on different terms. Fatty snacks are more filling and don't create as much of a feedback loop, so I have less trouble eating them in moderation. 

As far as hating shopping, cooking, and meal planning goes... that doesn't leave you with many options. If you're serious about getting a handle on your eating, you may need to consider altering your mindset. After all, you can still do something even if you hate it. So take some time to really reflect on your priorities and figure out what you really want and what you're willing to put in to get that outcome. 

On 11/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, Wobbegong said:

I was able to conquer my sugar cravings by transitioning to eating fatty snacks instead. I stock up on string cheese and nuts and when I want a piece of chocolate I eat something else instead. That way, I'm still indulging myself, just on different terms. Fatty snacks are more filling and don't create as much of a feedback loop, so I have less trouble eating them in moderation. 

I've tried the nut thing, and it has helped. I think I'll give it another shot. High fat foods do indeed tend to keep me going longer, I just have to be careful about which fat it is, otherwise my stomach hates me for the rest of the day.

On 11/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, Wobbegong said:

As far as hating shopping, cooking, and meal planning goes... that doesn't leave you with many options. If you're serious about getting a handle on your eating, you may need to consider altering your mindset. After all, you can still do something even if you hate it. So take some time to really reflect on your priorities and figure out what you really want and what you're willing to put in to get that outcome. 

You know...you're absolutely right. I never quite thought of it this way. It's probably why I've had such issues. Mindset adjustments can be incredibly hard sometimes, and it looks like I need one pronto. Thanks!

• Like 1

--

--

My final report card for this challenge, with retrospectives and plans for the future.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing 30 pounds. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 263)

Progress: This one didn't end up so well, as explained above. The last few days were better than usual, but I am still quite addicted to sugar. However, thanks to some prodding from @Wobbegong, I sat down and meal-planned two weeks worth of meals. I haven't done that, like, ever, and I'm super excited about it.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Progress: Finding a sugary snack that I prefer over others is not really going to happen, I think. There are those I do like more, such as Crème brûlée, but if it's sugar I'll eat it. So I need to find some other way about this.

Progress: Exercise was another hit-and-miss section, as it usually is, but the weather is finally getting cooler so I can go outdoors more. Despite my allergies, I rather like outdoor activities and I'm looking forward to my nightly walks again. As the associated goal also, I'm going to keep searching for forms of exercise that i thoroughly enjoy, so I have high hopes for this in the coming months.

Progress: As usual, I started off strong and then it has tapered off at the end. I'm going to spend today and tomorrow getting back into writing. I am excited about the novel, it's just so hard to write! But I'm going to do it.

Craft Room Progress: This one came out as half-accomplished: we got the loft all sorted out, but the craft room is going to be a huge project all on its own. Still, I'm glad I got my Lego collection in one nicer area as opposed to all over the house.

Going Forward

The two-week meal planning is, I hope, going to get me started down a path of better nutrition. It was actually kind of fun, and I know the meals I picked are super healthy. Exercise is looking better since it's finally the cooler parts of the year, and writing...well, I'm determined to finish strong on my novel. All-in-all, I'm excited about the next few months but with the busy holiday season, I think I'm going to need to sit out another challenge and just weather the storm. I know I can, and I'm going to. Woot!

• Like 2

--

--

Yaaaay! I'm so glad to hear you buckled down and got some meal planning done, and so stoked about your report that it was "actually kind of fun." That's such a huge step forward from "I hate it," so give yourself tons of credit for trying it out and being open to it! I hope it works out well for you and you're able to get to a place where you look forward to doing it every couple of weeks. 

I'm also more into outdoors exercising and prefer cooler times of year, so I'm getting back into running right now. Keep us posted on what exercises you try and which ones you like, and remember not to slack off just because you're skipping the challenge during the holidays ;)