Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

Andrees

Sweating it up on my first military deployment so time to make an official Nerd Fitness challenge out of it. Since I'm in the desert let's make it a desert level from Super Mario 64.

The quest is on to earn 5 stars from Shifting Sand Land! Hot sands, mysterious temples and physical hardships await! Each of the 4 weeks will focus on a different star’s objectives with a bonus 5th one that takes place throughout the entire challenge.

intro.jpg.b4beaa44f21c3f551963222a07216c62.jpg

Each week consists of:

-4 Strength-training sessions

-3 Running sessions

-Weekly objectives (sessions can count toward objectives)

If I complete every session and that week’s objective I earn the star of the week.

1st Star: Shining Atop The Pyramid – Pyramid workouts (STAR UNLOCKED!)

In order to reach the star at the top of the pyramid I must incorporate a pyramid-style of workouts. This week’s objective is 2 pyramid bodyweight workouts. One for upper body and one for lower body.

xArTuqY.jpg

2nd Star: In The Talons Of The Big Bird – Plyometrics workouts (FAILED)

To get to the star out of the bird's grasp I gotta get my jump on like Mario. This week’s objective is doing 2 plyometric leg workouts.

59ec373974978_bigbird.jpg.16a04247ab9017e8f1e3e5577a305f98.jpg

3rd Pyramid Puzzle – Schoolwork

To solve the Pyramid Puzzle I must prioritize my current college courses. This week I will ensure to get at least 1 hour of study/assignment time in a night before shows/videogames etc.

puzzlestar.JPG.224c81bee6a9023c1aebab9bcf3c64e3.JPG

4th Star: Stand Tall On The Four Pillars/Boss Fight – So much running

In order for Mario to get his ass up the 4 pillars he’s gotta run and run fast. This week’s objective is 1 interval session and 1 sprint session.

In this Mario64 level if you run up the 4 pillars you unlock the boss fight. So if I can get this week’s objectives done early enough I too can unlock the boss fight! In order to take him out and get star #4 I have to get my 5K run time under 22 minutes.

pillarsstar.jpg.987cff63d92abf4f4be2b3438000b3ff.jpg

Bonus 5th Star: Free Flying For 8 Red Coins – Pullups

In every Mario64 Level there are 8 red coins hidden throughout the level. I will count single-session consecutive pullups as red coins; therefore by the end of this challenge I hope to be able to do 8 strict-form pullups in a row. This star can be achieved at any time throughout the challenge.

coin.jpg.e3de35f69746308c2a87c5fc5dc0a4d4.jpg

150px-Captain_toad_powerstar.png.f368fca70c372520fa490ef12135bcc4.png Star Counter: 1/5

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

Hunt for the Pyramid Star is on this week!

59ee3a309c32d_pyrshot.jpg.94d89d80f8f819c028d0f5368466fd50.jpg

Current Weight: 171 lbs.

Side note I did a test of my 5K run time this morning.  22:58.  Taking a minute off of that time by the end of week 4 is a tall order but I'll just be glad to see any improvement.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Found 5 red coins today!  (aka did 5 consecutive pullups with strict form.  Came all the way down and then got my chin back up over the bar).  I'm optimistic about getting all 8 before the end of the challenge.

coinn5.jpg.8a17495fa61711aeb674090ca0f9cbb3.jpg

No risk, no reward

Knockin' this week's tasks out one at a time.  Halfway up the pyramid.  So close to the star!

-4 Strength-training sessions - 4/4(DONE)

-3 Running sessions - 2/3

-Weekly objectives - 1/2

OnZ9Bge.jpg

No risk, no reward

Knocked out a ruck march/run with various members of the base.  SO CLOSE

-3 Running sessions - 3/3(DONE)

-Weekly objectives - 1/2

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Interesting format. What are you doing for strength training?

I do weightlifting as well as bodyweight exercises.  For example for the Pyramid Workouts I'm doing a bodyweight workout from my favorite sports trainer Ross Enamait that goes like this:

Each circuit you do the first number, rest 10 seconds then the second and so on.  When you get to the end of they first "pyramid" you rest 1 minute then repeat.  In this case I did each circuit 3 times.  (For the record I completely BOMBED the pullups.  After I got to the first set of 4 it was more like 1 pullup every 10 seconds.  Trying real hard to improve those)

Pullups
1 2 3 4 3 2 1  x3
Pushups
3 4 5 6 5 4 3  x3
Bodyweight Tricep Ext.
2 3 4 5 4 3 2  x3

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Feeling unmotivated with sore legs from the ruck but still busted out my lower bodyweight pyramid in my office.

-3 Running sessions - 3/3(DONE)

-Weekly objectives - 2/2(DONE)

Fought my way past the Bob-ombs, sinking sands and terrible twisters.  Worked my way to the top of the pyramid and got my 1st star!

*cue Mario victory jingle* DUH-DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH-DAH, HERE WE GO!!

l0jfB6Q.jpg

• Like 2

No risk, no reward

Been a rough week but been trying to squeeze my challenge objectives in wherever I can.  Halfway there.  Had to skip this morning due to my legs being sore from the plyo but I hope to be recovered by tonight.  The big bird will never see me comin'

-4 Strength-training sessions - 3/4

-Weekly objectives (Plyo Training) - 1/2

No risk, no reward

Keep at it! Love your challenge theme in light of your desert deployment. Get that big bird!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

5 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

Keep at it! Love your challenge theme in light of your desert deployment. Get that big bird!

Thank you much.  This has been a hard week with really long days but I've been able to do some workouts in my office when I get a few moments to breathe.  Not gonna let the desert get the better of me.  WWMD (What Would Mario Do)

Knocked another strength-training sesh down.  Planning on doing my 2nd plyo circuit tonight.

-Weekly objectives (Plyo Training) - 1/2

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

On 11/3/2017 at 5:55 AM, ShadowLion said:

Unfortunately I didn't get 'im.  See below.  I'm not too discouraged though going to keep pressing on.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, Elastigirl said:

What a fun theme. Way to go on getting some workouts in even with you were super busy.

Too busy unfortunately.  See below.

Sad to say I didn't get my star this week.  The week was on average 15-16 hour work days and capped it off with a  24 hour straight shift.  I was too exhausted and I'm also a big baby when it comes to missing sleep.  Get mad headaches and feel sick so I spent all of Sunday recovering.  The desert got me!

kSLsT6z.jpg

Not going to give up on my challenge though.  Determined to finish it out best I can.  Going to get my hour of schooltime in each day.  Pyramid Puzzle engage!

gdgUg8Q.jpg

No risk, no reward

1 hour ago, Andrees said:

Sad to say I didn't get my star this week.  The week was on average 15-16 hour work days and capped it off with a  24 hour straight shift.  I was too exhausted and I'm also a big baby when it comes to missing sleep.  Get mad headaches and feel sick so I spent all of Sunday recovering.  The desert got me!

Yikes! I cannot say I blame you for that one! Those hours are harsh. 

Hopefully this week will be better on you! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

This week  has only been slightly better as far as long hours ago, and not by much.  I can already say with as little time I had I didn't prioritize school and I won't even say I put in a solid effort.  Also had intense back pain while running so I substituted it with elliptical this week so far.  Plan to keep the sessions going and hit it even harder next week.

-4 Strength-training sessions - 3/4

-3 Running/Elliptical sessions - 2/3

-Weekly objectives (Daily hour of school) - FAILED

No risk, no reward

You've had some tough obstacles this challenge. I hope you roll into the next challenge and get your momentum back!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir